Thread: Apartment Level versus Mosquitos

Default Apartment Level versus Mosquitos

I'm looking at some units in high-rises. All are near the river valley/ravines/other features where mosquitos might breed.

I love spending time on my balcony in the summer... but one of the units I'm otherwise liking most is on a fifth floor. Would there still lots of mosquitos at that height?

I've lived on a 2nd floor before... never again. I've lived on 8th and 16th floors which were great. Still a few bugs, moths, bees, especially on the 8th, but not swarms of mosquitos.

I don't think there a science to this, and it depends on where you're living (which would be higher in the areas I'm looking at). Mosquitos technically *can* fly really high. What are the experiences of locals living on 4-6ish floors?

I was on a fourth floor 200 metres from a ravine for a few years, with practically zero mosquitoes.

Not really sure what makes the difference.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I live on the fifth floor in Phillips, with a rooftop patio, so technically 6th for that. And if I leave my patio door open to get some free cooling, I'll get all manner of flies and bugs in my place. Being in the middle of a concrete jungle, there's not a ton of mosquitoes, but if they're really bad throughout the city, they'll be noticeable up there as well.

How high do mosquitoes fly?
    In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 ft. Asian Tiger Mosquitoes have been found breeding in treeholes over 40 feet above ground. In Singapore, they have been found in apartments 21 stories above ground. Mosquitoes have been found breeding up to 8,000 feet in the Himalayas and 2000 feet underground in mines in India.

http://www.mosquito.org/faq#high
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Turn on a light at night and they will find you.

Generally watch the Swallows as they fly catching insects. Most mosquitoes are concentrated no higher than 5o feed from the ground.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    How high do mosquitoes fly?
    In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 ft. Asian Tiger Mosquitoes have been found breeding in treeholes over 40 feet above ground. In Singapore, they have been found in apartments 21 stories above ground. Mosquitoes have been found breeding up to 8,000 feet in the Himalayas and 2000 feet underground in mines in India.

http://www.mosquito.org/faq#high
    interesting numbers from Singapore - i wonder if it has anything to do with how much insecticide spraying they still do at ground level...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^Hard to say. Although some of those mosquito's could have hitched a ride up the elevator on people's clothes.
    On another note, one could always put up a mosquito net over the balcony to keep some of the critters out. What with the Zika virus outbreak I wonder how long it will take for the virus to make it's way to north America.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    What with the Zika virus outbreak I wonder how long it will take for the virus to make it's way to north America.

Luckily the species predominant here doesn't appear to be a vector for Zika.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/range.html

When I lived in Strathcona, we had a balcony on our second floor. There were notably fewer mosquitoes there than there were at ground level, only a few feet below.

I now live on the thirty-first floor, and there are none at all, ever.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

^ I can believe that. Don't put out water dishes for them to breed in, of course, but according to our own anecdotes here, the drop off is quite steep, floor by floor. I'd guess fourth (where I was) or higher is fairly safe, actually (unless you put out water dishes for them to breed in, or live at the bottom of the valley or something.)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I live on the 5th floor just off the Victoria Promenade. I rarely seen mosquito near my balcony during the summer months

Default Fly Line

Probably giving away my advanced age here but .....
    My grandfather pointed out to me that our old wooden windmill on the farm had a pulley mounted very high on it and a painted line below the pulley. He said that the painted line was called the "fly line" and that a side of beef hoisted up via the pulley to a point above that line would greatly reduce the number of flies that were able to get to the curing meat.

My friend is on the tenth floor across the ledge, get the odd fly or wasp but no mosquitos whenever I'm there

Quote Originally Posted by HRJ View Post
    Probably giving away my advanced age here but .....
    My grandfather pointed out to me that our old wooden windmill on the farm had a pulley mounted very high on it and a painted line below the pulley. He said that the painted line was called the "fly line" and that a side of beef hoisted up via the pulley to a point above that line would greatly reduce the number of flies that were able to get to the curing meat.
    Thanks you for that info. It is true that we learn something new everyday.