Thread: Oliver Community League launches petition to reduce speed limits

Default Oliver Community League launches petition to reduce speed limits

The Oliver Community League has launched a petition to lower speed limits in Oliver from 50 km/h to 40 km/h on non-arterial roads.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...to-40-kmh.html

"Community reps in Edmonton’s densest neighbourhood, Oliver, are pushing the city to lower speed limits, as the city continues to grapple with pedestrians being killed by car drivers.

The Oliver Community League launched a petition over the weekend to reduce the neighbourhood’s speed limits to 40 km/h (not including Jasper Ave.). Speed limits in the community are currently 50 km/h outside school zones.

“The evidence is pretty compelling — when cars slow down, it’s safer for pedestrians and cyclists,” said Dustin Martin, civics director with the Oliver Community League."

As an Oliver resident this sounds like a feel-good busywork project.

"10 people died while crossing Edmontn streets last year." No mention of any of them being in Oliver, a very small neighbourhood with narrow streets lined with parking that makes 50kmh wishful at best. Except for Jasper Ave and arterial roads which are exempt from the petition's scope.

Change the signs and feel better I guess. How about pushing the No Parking signs back from the intersections so there's more room for pedestrians and drivers can see each other? That would be useful.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

how many pedestrians have been killed in oliver? If we are going to fear monger to lower speed limits is there data from the community that shows speed is an issue? Or is this just the typical speed kills bs.

most of the roads in oliver its hard to do over 40 km/h anyways. Lots of near misses when I was lived and walked in the neighbourhood. I'd support it.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Why not have all neighbourhood roads at 40km/h? It is not like people spend an inordinate amount of their drive on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    As an Oliver resident this sounds like a feel-good busywork project.

"10 people died while crossing Edmontn streets last year." No mention of any of them being in Oliver, a very small neighbourhood with narrow streets lined with parking that makes 50kmh wishful at best. Except for Jasper Ave and arterial roads which are exempt from the petition's scope.

Change the signs and feel better I guess. How about pushing the No Parking signs back from the intersections so there's more room for pedestrians and drivers can see each other? That would be useful.
    I agree that driving at 50km/h in Oliver feels fast as a driver. That's why I think it makes sense to lower the speed limit to reflect the reality of the narrow streets and high pedestrian activity. I also agree about moving the No Parking signs back from intersections to improve sight lines.

i feel like many roads are too slow, may as well change them to suit my wants. I guess its that simple eh? Petition the city because i think a speed isnt what i think it should be.

If your only argument against a lower speed limit is that reasonable people already drive slower then you've got nothing.

It's a good idea.

30 would be even better.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Why not have all neighbourhood roads at 40km/h? It is not like people spend an inordinate amount of their drive on them.
    I'd be okay with this.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    how many pedestrians have been killed in oliver? If we are going to fear monger to lower speed limits is there data from the community that shows speed is an issue? Or is this just the typical speed kills bs.
    It's not BS. It's a scientific fact. higher speeds also make it a less pedestrian friendly environment.

https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/...iskVsSpeed.pdf

http://slowdownsavelives.com/informa...mation-on-50k/

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ion-pilot.aspx

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ion_Report.pdf

Let me guess gwill, based on your posting history, you're an entitled driver who thinks they should be able to drive what ever speed they want, on any road they want, and speed limits are only set to pad city coffers with photo radar cash, and no other reason?
    Last edited by Medwards; 28-03-2017 at 08:52 AM.

I'd be absolutely fine with dropping the speed limits to 40 all over my 'hood, including the arterials.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

They could reduce it to 5km/h and the people that speed will still speed. These silly reduced speed limits don't do a thing to stop those that drive recklessly. Not a damn thing.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

What matters is implementing something that provides an actual upgrade in safety while maintaining reasonable functionality for drivers. I don't mind the idea of a speed limit reduction, however I do tend to feel that this concept gets used and abused as a first and only consideration before others.

Please see the following link for additional concepts to consider: https://www.pps.org/reference/livememtraffic/

Another item that is not specifically mentioned in the website is lighting. Having been a resident of Oliver for over 8 years (recently moved away), I would suggest that there are areas that are prone to being very dimly lit and this can also be very problematic when there is a serious uptick in both vehicular and pedestrian traffic (Friday / Saturday nights). Tall streetlights are probably not as effective, though, as shorter lamp posts.

^^
    Sure, they would still speed, but going 5 over in a 30 zone is slower than 5 over in a 50 zone. Some drivers see the limit not as a maximum but as a recommended speed, and those drivers would slow down. Cyclist (and law-abiding drivers) would feel less pressure to get out of the way of impatient drivers.

Side streets are not designed for 50, so why on earth would you sign them 50?
    There can only be one.

^^No amount of lighting can make your standard Oliver street safe at 50. Nothing short of banning bikes and eliminating all street parking could do it, and even then most people wouldn't go 50 because there would be a 4-way stop at every corner to make it safe to cross.

On the other hand, it doesn't take much light to keep a street safe, traffic-wise, if speeds are kept down.
    There can only be one.

Glad to see theres a few people here who realize changing the speed itself isnt a solution... especially without enforcement the speed change is useless.

So far the reasons to change the speeds are;

- speed kills (blah blah blah)
    - I want a lower speed limit

Im sure the city will jump all over this awesome idea while ignoring other ideas to make the area safer....

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Indeed. There are a variety of options to consider and too often these options get tossed aside to largely meet what is arguably a political agenda. The speed solution is often presented as the only solution, when it clearly is not.

So change the speed & move a ton of automated enforcement into the area for 6 months. There's your enforcement.

It's not like Oliver is a sprawling web of cul de sacs & curvilinear streets plagued by huge traffic snarls. It's compact, extremely densely populated & loaded with lots of grid streets that either feed into an arterial that wouldn't be affected by this change or dead end before they reach the borders of the neighbourhood. There's no reason for a non-resident to shortcut through the neighbourhood & the only people who'd be impacted to any significant degree would be the residents who'd get a more walkable & safe streetscape.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

curious how a pedestrian gets struck and killed at 1 am on fort road.. I guess we need to change the speeds to 30km on that road now.

After all its only a 7 lane road with massive sidewalks, no obstructions from trees, crosswalks everywhere and next to no traffic on the road when the pedestrian was killed.

Yet everyone wants to blame vehicles and the drivers as the problem..

Didn't realize Fort Road was in Oliver....

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Or that anyone suggested Fort road be a 30 zone.
    Last edited by SP59; 30-03-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: anyone subbed in for alone

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Didn't realize Fort Road was in Oliver....
    didn't realize we were talking about thoroughfares and not residential side roads.

I'd rather C2E than work!

There are a lot of people who can't, or don't want to, differentiate between the two.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I'd rather C2E than work!

I support a general 40 km/h speed limit, but it should exclude collector roads as well as arterials. For Oliver, that would mean 116 St and 124 St should stay at 50 km/h, along with Jasper Av and 104 Av.

I drive 116 St every day & for the vast majority of the time to get to 50km/h on it requires a lead foot followed by nigh-immediate braking. There's stoplights at 100 Ave, Jasper Ave, 102 Ave & 104 Ave, plus the activated crosswalk at 103 Ave. Keeping it at 50 wouldn't do a lick of difference to the effective speed limit, which is around 40ish.

I would support 30 on side streets and 40 on collectors and arterials. Lower speeds, if done well, could reduce the need for traffic lights at some locations, possibly reducing travel times.

Edit: zero chance of it happening this generation, though.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    I support a general 40 km/h speed limit, but it should exclude collector roads as well as arterials. For Oliver, that would mean 116 St and 124 St should stay at 50 km/h, along with Jasper Av and 104 Av.
    Those roads would be excluded already. They are only talking about the residential side roads like 102 avenue, or 117 street-120 street. not the main roads like Jasper or 116 or 124.

C2E Long Term Contributor

There are some thoroughfares that should be 30 or 40 km/hr due to heavy pedestrian activity. I've always advocated this for Whyte Ave between 99 St and 112 St for example. They knock down the speed limit on Gateway Blvd during the Fringe, they should just keep it that way all year around.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

There's little to no pedestrian activity on gateway outside of the fringe days that support lowering the speed year around.

Whyte Avenue should be 40 in the sections you mention.