Thread: Board Member Recruitment

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Board Member Recruitment

I understand this forum is for temporary, short-term volunteer service, but what might be some recommendations for places to advertise and recruit for Board of Director service to a non-profit organization? What have been some of your experiences?

If the CofE is any kind of model, advertise in whatever media that contains the kind of people that would beinterested in the cause. Vue Magazine and Kijiji have classified sections for volunteers.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    If the CofE is any kind of model, advertise in whatever media that contains the kind of people that would beinterested in the cause. Vue Magazine and Kijiji have classified sections for volunteers.
    Good pointers..thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Think BIGGER View Post
    I understand this forum is for temporary, short-term volunteer service, but what might be some recommendations for places to advertise and recruit for Board of Director service to a non-profit organization? What have been some of your experiences?
    Ask yourself what skills this BOD needs and target those people. If you are looking for those with financial experience, target your search to areas where accountants congregate.

Just my $0.02

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

your organization might also want to consider whether they want/need a board of directors with the legal and fiduciary obligations that imposes on them or whether you might be better served by a board of advisors or even a single advisor if it's one specific area in which you are hoping to attract some expertise and advice.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    your organization might also want to consider whether they want/need a board of directors with the legal and fiduciary obligations that imposes on them or whether you might be better served by a board of advisors or even a single advisor if it's one specific area in which you are hoping to attract some expertise and advice.
    The organization in question will most definitely require at minimum 5 members initially on the executive, and more once our goals are being tackled. Ken, when you state that consideration should be made about directors with legal and fiduciary obligations that imposes on them, I'm not sure exactly what this means. Could you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Ask yourself what skills this BOD needs and target those people. If you are looking for those with financial experience, target your search to areas where accountants congregate.

Just my $0.02
    I like what you're saying. Instead of looking for a single point of access to a pool of potential volunteers covering all necessary skill sets and experiences, engaging professionals in each field could prove more efficient or valuable. I'll try this approach and see what results from it. Thank you

The organization in question will most definitely require at minimum 5 members initially on the executive, and more once our goals are being tackled. Ken, when you state that consideration should be made about directors with legal and fiduciary obligations that imposes on them, I'm not sure exactly what this means. Could you clarify?
    I can add a bit here. Say your group decides to do a fundraiser and someone gets sick (ie food poisoning) or gets hurt. Your directors can then be sued. I learned about this risk only after stepping up to take a Treasurer position on an elementary school's Parent Advisory Association when no other parent would do it. I was incensed that I wasn't warned about this in advance and felt incredibly stupid for not knowing about this risk myself. So I could have been sued if a child was hurt at an activity approved by the board even though the school and teachers hosted / ran it.

So board liability insurance may be a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I can add a bit here. Say your group decides to do a fundraiser and someone gets sick (ie food poisoning) or gets hurt. Your directors can then be sued. I learned about this risk only after stepping up to take a Treasurer position on an elementary school's Parent Advisory Association when no other parent would do it. I was incensed that I wasn't warned about this in advance and felt incredibly stupid for not knowing about this risk myself. So I could have been sued if a child was hurt at an activity approved by the board even though the school and teachers hosted / ran it.

So board liability insurance may be a necessity.
    What a rotten experience! Yes, liability insurance for the society and directors (on top of incorporating) are non-negotiable. People should have zero reservations about serving in any organization. Not following proper due diligence is not helping anyone.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Top_Dawg has seen even better ones.

Top_Dawg knows of two corporations where managers weren't submitting payroll deductions to CRA.

Then left the company just before the corps went tits up.

CRA went after the directors personally for the unpaid deductions.

Was pretty funny watching these beeg shotz sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg has seen even better ones.

Top_Dawg knows of two corporations where managers weren't submitting payroll deductions to CRA.

Then left the company just before the corps went tits up.

CRA went after the directors personally for the unpaid deductions.

Was pretty funny watching these beeg shotz sweat.

I was under the impression that if an organization is incorporated and insurance in place that directors or membership could not be held personally liable. I suppose all bets are of once they are no longer members.
    *side note- I thoroughly enjoy your third-party approach. I always read your posts with the Duff Man voice in my head..lol