Thread: Tired of the Ignored Posts?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Tired of the Ignored Posts?

I keep finding myself unhiding the posts of those I've ignored. To my own detriment. Turns out there is a greasemonkey (or chrome equivalent) script that can hide those posts forever!

Find it here:

http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/24465

Works for me on Firefox (greasemonkey) and Chrome (Tampermonkey) although it does mess up clicking on the little button that takes you to the newest unread posts at times. So far it's worth it anyways.

Not sure if you can see this, but FYI, I think there may be more on such scripts already discussed on c2e.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I keep finding myself unhiding the posts of those I've ignored. To my own detriment. Turns out there is a greasemonkey (or chrome equivalent) script that can hide those posts forever!

Find it here:

http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/24465

Works for me on Firefox (greasemonkey) and Chrome (Tampermonkey) although it does mess up clicking on the little button that takes you to the newest unread posts at times. So far it's worth it anyways.
    Who cares.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

ITT: I only want to see posts that agree with my own opinion. Anyone that doesn't share my opinion should be ignored and/or dismissed outright. What a load of turds

No, I'm okay with differing opinions. But I'm done with toxicity. If you can't actually discuss your difference of opinion, and resort to meaningless drivel, I'm not listening anymore, and am not even tempted to look.

It's either that or stop coming. And I'm not quite there yet.

One mans great speech is another mans mindless drivel.

I'd rather C2E than work!

There is no shortage of meaningless drivel around, but the ignore function is an awfully blunt tool. Even the worst spouters of meaningless drivel occasionally post something worth reading. Is it really that hard to skim by the personal mudslinging to the point where a thread gets back on track?

Ignore button is for wimps.

This is a silly thread. A weak excuse to tell part of the board, "I got you on ignore".

I don't know, but the optics of starting a thread just to feature this ignore theme is unsavory at best. Probably wouldn't be hard to check back to see what exchange this morning or yesterday got this kickstarted.

I don't have anybody on ignore here and I can certainly in exchanges and have received and dished out some stuff. But at the end of the day its just words, almost all the time its people just trying to get each others dander up and theres only been one time I've been aware of, where somebody was really unglued, unstable and looking to wreak vengeance. Someone really threatened harm. The Admin are aware of the episode and some others like it. But most times its just disagreeing and with a lot of the noise being how people disagree in present day.

At the end of all the dust flying I'm back posting another day and not thinking too differently about things.

The OP mentioned toxic. Who hasn't appeared that way sometimes on certain themes, certain threads, topics. We all have our triggers and get triggered. Most of the world appears somewhat toxic online. I think I've given up wishing for better than that online.

The last thing a person should do, and Titanium captured this well, is summarily judge a poster enough to put them on ignore. That's shortsighted, often reactive, and tbh I've done it in the heat of the moment, only to reverse the ignore soon after. Some of how we learn, grow, exchange, is to be able to read and interact with pov and pos comments we don't agree with. If everybody thought like me this would be Disney, or hell...

Oh, and this drivel is on topic, so there..

kumbaya
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-04-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I added you all to ignore. This thread is soooo easy to read now.

C2E Continued Contributor

I installed the plugin and it turned off the internet. Interesting.

Ignorance is bliss but ignoring rampant posters just means you don't want to challenge their hateful or biases or propaganda posting style. I agree with titanium and replacement.

I don't ignore anyone but rather step up my challenges or back off and let them wear themselves out. Better to let them self destruct or help them blow a gasket and then report them to admin and get them banned and relieve everybody. This means you B.S.High.

Other issues are that we lost the " thanks for the post" or agree function

I wish people would trim their reposts which sometimes are endless.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-04-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Default Tired of the Ignored Posts?

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinions and it unlikely they will change if challenged, so I tend to ignore some of those sometimes. However, if people put forth something as a fact that is not accurate or I feel does not present an accurate picture of a situation, I think it should probably be challenged.

While I don't think this stops the poster or sadly even embarrasses them (a few seem to have no shame in continually peddling outright lies) it at least helps ensure other people don't buy their bs.

Agree
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinions and it unlikely they will change if challenged, so I tend to ignore some of those sometimes. However, if people put forth something as a fact that is not accurate or I feel does not present an accurate picture of a situation, I think it should probably be challenged.

While I don't think this stops the poster or sadly even embarrasses them (a few seem to have no shame in continually peddling outright lies) it at least helps ensure other people don't buy their bs.
    You're absolutely right that this needs to be done, but I'm choosing that this isn't the venue that I'm going to put my effort into doing that.

Can we put entire threads on ignore?

Actually I just ignore what I ignore (never seem to have a problem doing that).

To put people on ignore is to confess -- to yourself -- that you are too preoccupied with their posts to ignore them.

As a result, the ignore feature is self-defeating. The ignored posters exasperate you, but you have to know what they've just written, so the first thing you click is the "show this post" link.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    To put people on ignore is to confess -- to yourself -- that you are too preoccupied with their posts to ignore them.

As a result, the ignore feature is self-defeating. The ignored posters exasperate you, but you have to know what they've just written, so the first thing you click is the "show this post" link.
    Hence this script, which removes the posts entirely. No little link to click.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post

Hence this script, which removes the posts entirely. No little link to click.
    how does it work when a quote is used?

Cripes, that's the most intelligent reply I have heard on this issue.

It shows the quoted text. There were versions that claimed they could fix that, but I couldn't get them to work. Maybe for different versions of vbulletin?

I also see that people have replied in the 'new posts' search.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Ignoring posts is allowing the thread terrorists to win...

I only ignore post with false news in them.

^ so all of Mr. Oilers posts then and most of moahunter/hilmans posts?

^No, I read their posts as I don't think they are mostly false news. I might not agree with them but I read them.

Brilliant post.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"