Thread: UFC

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

UFC isn't for me at all, but big news for a lot of people!

...curiosity might make me go.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Nice to see them bringing in something new to the city. Shame it's MMA though.

Still waiting for a reason to patronize Rogers Place.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Top_Dawg figgers this would make for a superb venue to hold C2E's next meet and greet.

A team building exercise so to speak.

Huge. Keep the wins coming!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Huge news, but LONG overdue. Quebec City, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and even Halifax (x2) have hosted already. This does not bode well for our image, especially when we are pushing hard to again become a relevant, major city. New arena or not, this is 4 or 5 years longer than even I thought. Gonna be great nonetheless!

interesting to see.. im curious if they are proving a free pre sale code or if they expect you to pay for that access like i remember them doing.

alot of smaller canadian cities have hosted, but they have been smaller Fight Night or Fox Events. Getting a PPV is HUGE

calgary had a ppv and it went down as one of the worst fights ever. The last few fights were booed constantly

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    calgary had a ppv and it went down as one of the worst fights ever. The last few fights were booed constantly
    If memory serves that was a PPV plagued by more than one cancelled main event though. Definitely an anomaly.

there were all sorts of injuries. I think every card was changed before the ppv.

Edmonton's first UFC event boasts 2 title matches, champs and former champions
    Event slated for Sept. 9; tickets go on sale to the general public Friday
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...mber-1.4222864

With a brand-new arena and a large appetite for mixed-martial arts, Edmonton is set to host its first-ever Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) event.

"I always like coming to new cities where the UFC hasn't been," said flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson. "The crowd's thirsty, the fans are thirsty and I feel like we're going to give them what they want."

The UFC announced its main events Wednesday for UFC 215, set to take place on Sept. 9 at Rogers Place. Two champions, Johnson and Amanda Nunes look to defend their titles.

Johnson will try to break the UFC record of most consecutive title defences against Ray Borg, while Nunes will fight Valentina Shevchenko for the second time to defend her bantamweight title.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Terry Jones: UFC 215 expected to be sold out

The SOLD OUT sign could go up Wednesday.

Within the first 100 hours of tickets going on sale, UFC 215 in Edmonton was within 1,000 tickets of being sold out at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

If UFC cards were like Garth Brooks concerts, Edmonton could go to work selling the other eight today.

From the day Bob Nicholson hired me to come to town, I went to work to get us a UFC numbered pay per view event. There are only 12 a year and they can be very difficult to book. But it's a great event. To hold one of these annually is very high on my agenda, said Sheena Way, assistant general manager of Live Entertainment at Rogers Place. We did this with sellout expectations and very much with an eye to becoming one of the busiest buildings in North America.

The two headliners, Johnson and Amanda Nunes, were brought to town last Wednesday, while UFC boss Dana White was holding a pre-fight press conference in Los Angeles.

Tickets went on sale Friday at 10 a.m.

By 2 p.m. Monday only about 1,000 of the almost 20,000 tickets scaled at $379.75, $253.16, $126.58, $94.94, and $63.29 (plus additional fees via Ticketmaster) remained. And this is an event scheduled head-to-head with the annual Labour Day football rivalry replay game against the Calgary Stampeders that traditionally draws the largest CFL crowd of the season.

While there's every expectation that the SOLD OUT sign could go out by the end of the day Wednesday, Way said some additional tickets will likely become available closer to fight night.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/lo...to-be-sold-out

C2E Posting Power

Uggghhh....I just spent $1900.00 to broadcast the fight at one of my sites.....insane! About 60% more expensive than a regular UFC fight.

As time goes on, the UFC is starting to look more and more like the WWE - i.e. I suspect a lot of it is fake / fixed. Although not techcnially UFC, Mayweather and McGregor are probably practicing the moves to their fight now.

How are ticket sales? It's this weekend and the media blitz is full on.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    As time goes on, the UFC is starting to look more and more like the WWE - i.e. I suspect a lot of it is fake / fixed. Although not techcnially UFC, Mayweather and McGregor are probably practicing the moves to their fight now.
    I don't think any of it is fake or fixed, and the Mayweather/McGreggor fight wasn't part of the UFC. It was a standalone production designed by those two to make insane amounts of money. Mayweather won't fight MMA style, he'd be killed in about 10 seconds.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^^sounds like they are very good. I spoke with a bunch of hotels and they have a lot of out of town guests. Expect a very busy Fri/Sat.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The main card fight has been cancelled (Ray Borg has a viral infection) and they are offering refunds, so it would be interesting to see what the attendance will be like.

That's hilarious.

It's a weak card to begin with.

Now what ?

630ched said ufc will refund tickets. Curious where they heard gthis... that's great news for anyone who bought tickets and didnt unload them quickly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...lled-1.4280461

The Rogers Place card will now be headlined by women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and No. 1 contender Valentina Shevchenko.
    Anyone who purchased tickets to the fight can now request a full refund due, the UFC said in a statement on Friday.
    http://www.ufc.ca/news/UFC-Statement-On-215

With the removal of Johnson vs. Borg, customers may request a full refund of purchased tickets at point of sale.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

that's pretty crazy. With how bad things went in Calgary they didn't offer refunds and they had significantly more changes.. just not the main card.

There won't be cheap tickets before this event for anyone who may have been waiting last min to buy.

Nunez was supposed to be the main event back in 213 I think? She had a sinus infection so she pulled out and being the secondary event tonight was "punishment". Still going to be a fantastic show.

C2E SME

Good of the UFC to offer full refunds. Sucks for people who came in from out of town to watch it. A bud of mine came in from Toronto for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    that's pretty crazy. With how bad things went in Calgary they didn't offer refunds and they had significantly more changes.. just not the main card.

There won't be cheap tickets before this event for anyone who may have been waiting last min to buy.
    Not sure about this. A lot of tickets for this event remained unsold even before the cancellation of the headline fight. Theres a surplus of seats available and plenty being resold. I would think it possible that ticket prices would drop.

Finally I find it a bit odd that people speak of UFC commonly as if its the best thing on the planet and yet they can't even sellout an event at Rogers place. Seems like UFC as premium sports entertainment is fairly overblown.

Oilers can sell out here 50 times a year. UFC, not once. How does the UFC even get this much coverage?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Just to update, tickets for the event have been reduced in price as several are being returned by initial buyers. So that ticketmaster is now selling these for as little as 63bucks. Upper bowl of course. Even sportsnet tickets with the food costing only 123bucks now. Certainly this event has been bottom priced right now.

Interestingly the resale prices are higher right at the moment than the direct from vendor sales. Why would anybody pay much more for resale?

I doubt this event even ends up sold out. Where are all those people that are crazy about the UFC?
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-09-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

UFC 215: Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2 Gate and Attendance from Edmonton

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-215-nun...-from-edmonton

The Ultimate Fighting Championship made its Edmonton debut this week with UFC 215: Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2 at Rogers Place.

Though there was a fair amount of criticism about the stature of the fight card, particularly after losing the UFC flyweight championship headliner, fans showed up to UFC 215 in droves.

According to UFC officials, the event drew 16,232 fans for a sold out crowd, accounting for a $2.03 million gate in U.S. dollars.

UFC executive David Shaw explained that, while there were a number of ticket refunds issued after the fight card changed, late walk-up sales more than made up for the refunded tickets.

Though the aforementioned flyweight title fight between champion Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg was nixed just 48 hours prior to fight time, Rogers Place still hosted 11 bouts, including a barn burner of an opener on the main card. Jeremy Stephens and Gilbert Melendez battered each other for three rounds with Stephens walking away with the win and both fighters pocketing an additional $50,000 for winning Fight of the Night honors.

Despite being a last-minute shift to main event status, Amanda Nunes vs. Valentina Shevchenko delivered a five-round, technical battle that ended in a split decision.

In the end, Nunes retained her UFC women’s bantamweight championship, after she and Shevchenko went toe-to-toe in each and every round.

Typical ********. Tons of tickets were available straight from vendor (ticketmaster) immediately before the event. I was out of curiousity checking. Even 100's of tickets on floor had been retunred and were unsold. A lot of expensive tickets in lower bowl were returned.

IN anycase 16,200k is not a sellout for a ring match at Rogers place. For that nature of event, and including floor seating, the facility can do around 20K.

Of course UFC are going to say it was a sellout. liars

The walk up comments are curious as well. Typically in Edmonton there are not thousands of people "walking up" for events. Walk up usually accounts for 100's not thousands of sales. Especially on a day where 35K other sports fans were at the football game. hard to argue a strong walk up crowd for an event where the top two matches were cancelled. lol as well that UFC were going head to head with a BOA matchup that outsold them by 20K.

Also, as per this earlier article by Terry Jones 20K tickets were up for sale for this event. How on earth is 16.2 a sellout?

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/lo...to-be-sold-out

ps Careful clicking on the link SDM left. Its full of crap intrusive adware. MMA can't even run a decent webpage. I had to deathcage battle adware just entering.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-09-2017 at 10:23 PM.

lol i read mmaweekly daily and not once have i run into an adware issue. and I have been on it with multiple PC's.

Adblock is a wonderful tool! Even so, the link I posted didn't report any blocked ads.
    In any case, the success or failure of UFC 215 will be determined if OEG can bring UFC back to Edmonton again.

i was there and while it definitely wasn't sold out, there weren't like thousands of empty seats. maybe 100 or 200 by the looks of it in my eyes. great night, fans were into it from the start. hope they bring it back here, but they haven't been back to Calgary or Vancouver so who knows

^, ^^

Terry Jones:
    How exactly the UFC people end up declaring a sellout with a figure of 16,232 in a building with a capacity of 18,347 as a hockey venue and 20,437 as a concert venue is a mystery. But the UFC, we’ve all discovered, is one very strange organization.

“I saw that figure. I didn’t talk to them about that,” said Nicholson, who scratched his head throughout much of the dealings with UFC, which recently was acquired by IMG, the industry giant that OEG has an excellent partnership relationship dealing with in other areas of entertainment and sports including the coming Professional Bull Riding Global Cup.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/09/1...ht-in-edmonton
    Oilers Entertainment Group has a good relationship with IMG because of Rogers Place. So Edmonton will have a better chance to host a second UFC fight before Calgary or Vancouver. Unless....

One reason they might be reluctant, however, was another night when the Edmonton Combative Sports Commission, currently being investigated in regards to the death of boxer Tim Hague, is on the hot seat again.

Many observers felt the featherweight clash between Rick Glenn and Gavin Tucker should have been stopped. And one Edmonton Commission judge was so far out on the judging of that fight as to be roundly ridiculed.

There now has to be a total investigation into the commission.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    ^, ^^

Terry Jones:
    How exactly the UFC people end up declaring a sellout with a figure of 16,232 in a building with a capacity of 18,347 as a hockey venue and 20,437 as a concert venue is a mystery. But the UFC, we’ve all discovered, is one very strange organization.

“I saw that figure. I didn’t talk to them about that,” said Nicholson, who scratched his head throughout much of the dealings with UFC, which recently was acquired by IMG, the industry giant that OEG has an excellent partnership relationship dealing with in other areas of entertainment and sports including the coming Professional Bull Riding Global Cup.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/09/1...ht-in-edmonton
    Oilers Entertainment Group has a good relationship with IMG because of Rogers Place. So Edmonton will have a better chance to host a second UFC fight before Calgary or Vancouver. Unless....

One reason they might be reluctant, however, was another night when the Edmonton Combative Sports Commission, currently being investigated in regards to the death of boxer Tim Hague, is on the hot seat again.

Many observers felt the featherweight clash between Rick Glenn and Gavin Tucker should have been stopped. And one Edmonton Commission judge was so far out on the judging of that fight as to be roundly ridiculed.

There now has to be a total investigation into the commission.
    haha, Jones calling out the same thing. Nice catch Northguy66

16.2 is not 20.4K. More than 4k short of a sellout and in an age where Ticketmaster is SHOWING what seats are actually available, and how many, why do such shady promoters continue to attempt to lie about numbers? It looks bad.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ They had additional projector screens set up in all four corners, so a significant quantity of upper deck seats were blocked off. There were not 20,000 seats available. Spouting off inaccurate information online does indeed 'look bad'

How this disgusting spectacle manages to sell even one seat is beyond me. Lowest Common Denominator crap aimed at base instincts at its finest.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

At least the all the parties in the "sport" consented to their participation (unlike PBR or CFR).

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Cats and dogs don't consent to being pets either. So what's your point?

Cans don't consent to anything.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^Cats and dogs don't consent to being pets either. So what's your point?
    That rodeos & bull riding events are morally bankrupt, masquerading animal abuse as entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    ^ They had additional projector screens set up in all four corners, so a significant quantity of upper deck seats were blocked off. There were not 20,000 seats available. Spouting off inaccurate information online does indeed 'look bad'
    lol, even Nichols and Terry Jones were calling out the sellout number.

Why would they need additional projector screens when Rogers contains one of the largest Jumbotrons found anywhere?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^Thanks for clarifying, even though I disagree.

Rodeo animals are better treated and live longer higher quality lives than pretty much all of their fellow horses or cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    How this disgusting spectacle manages to sell even one seat is beyond me. Lowest Common Denominator crap aimed at base instincts at its finest.
    Agreed here.

LCD entertainment for sure. Oh, but its technical bloodsport...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Cats don't consent to anything.
    lol. haha, good one.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^^Thanks for clarifying, even though I disagree.

Rodeo animals are better treated and live longer higher quality lives than pretty much all of their fellow horses or cattle.
    Saying that rodeo animals are treated better than regular livestock isn't exactly a high benchmark given that we exempt animal agriculture from the vast, vast, vast majority of animal cruelty laws. It's only through this same exemption that rodeos can even exist, despite rodeos being pure entertainment & not actual animal agriculture.

My cat consents to sleep 22 hours a day. Closet koala bear, I think.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    lol, even Nichols and Terry Jones were calling out the sellout number.

Why would they need additional projector screens when Rogers contains one of the largest Jumbotrons found anywhere?
    no idea why but there was definitely at least two large screens that i saw in the upper corners