Thread: Harley Court 10045 111 St. Office to Apartment Building: Under construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Harley Court 10045 111 St. Office to Apartment Building: Under construction

An office tower conversion "Harley Court, 10045 111 St., would become a mix of 177 one- and two-bedroom suites aimed primarily at students and young professionals, Randy Ferguson, chief operating officer of building owner Strategic Group, said Monday.

The $40-million renovation is intended to bring Strategic a steady stream of revenue at a time when the new Ice District towers are creating a “flight to quality” as tenants see a chance to switch to more up-to-date space, he said."

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...tal-apartments

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great to see, this lowers the available office space area by converting it into residential which adds more people and life to the core. I hope we see more of this going forward on these older buildings.
    Last edited by Hilman; 09-05-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Pretty ideal location for something like this. Exterior might need some love - I suspect many of the windows will have to be replaced to make them operable.

Could do with a complete re-skin of the lower floors, look at the (lack of) windows on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

From what I heard a some years back the province was the only tenant, and it was the building they were least happy with. If there's been anyone in there the last few years I'm sure they would be the ones heading to the Crawford Centre.

edit: Dead the article; it's 86% occupied but if they're planning on starting renos in the fall it still looks like the tenant was already planning a move.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 09-05-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    There can only be one.

Exactly what I was hoping would happen. Can't wait to see some renders. I don't expect miracles, but I do hope they refresh the exterior. I wonder if they can open up ceilings between 1st and 2nd floor to give the street some 2-floor bays.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

There was a plan done up a few years ago, I expect to see that resurrected.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I wouldn't get your hopes up on much change to the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I wouldn't get your hopes up on much change to the exterior.
    I have no idea what a $40mil renovation gets you these days. What did Procura's cost for the Associated building?

It's $225,000 per suite, so there should be something left for the exterior of the lower floors at least. I can't see a residential conversion working with the existing lower floors, and I would expect that it would be cheaper to just replace that precast than to cut all kinds of holes for new windows.
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea
    I have no idea what a $40mil renovation gets you these days. What did Procura's cost for the Associated building?

The two renovations are pretty much the exact opposite and are not comparable at all. Procura's renovation was mostly the exterior, as far as I know, and didn't really touch the interiors or building systems like mechanical. Harley Court is leaving the exterior largely as is, but basically everything inside the building is being replaced because it's at or past it's service life.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

As a tenant, I've never really been fixated on the outside of the building. I care that my suite be comfortable. They will probably have to retro-fit the windows to open. Perhaps some changes to the lower floors (though I expect they'll be using them for things like gyms). But if Marcel is right, replacing/fixing systems things (HVAC, plumbing, elevators, etc.) will eat up a lot of the $40 million. I care more about elevators working than whether the outside architecture is iconic.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

$40m on a building that is already built should allow for a fair amount to happen to the inside and outside of the building. It's not exactly massive. I imagine you could rebuild something of equal size with decent finishings new for an additional $20m. If something like the Fox can be built from nothing for what, maybe $200m?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by EveB
    They will probably have to retro-fit the windows to open.

That's definitely a fire code issue, but it can be addressed in different ways that don't necessarily require operable windows.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB
    (though I expect they'll be using them for things like gyms)

I don't believe there will be a heck of a lot of amenity space, either. The main floor I believe will remain lobby and CRU space. The second floor right now is mostly mechanical, which is being moved to the penthouse, so the second floor will be suites as well.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

There is and was squash courts in this building?

Yes.

And along with the courts there was a full exercise facility.

C2E SME

I didn't see squash courts when I did a walk through last year. There's a running track around the mechanical penthouse on the roof, but it was in horrible shape and I can't imagine had been used in a decade or more (literally holes in the floor). They were kicking around what to do with that particular amenity. It was kind of strange, really.

That's odd. What's the history?

http://storage.edmontonsun.com
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    That's odd. What's the history?

http://storage.edmontonsun.com
    That rendering of the podium....uhh....

I know one tenant is moving over to CN Tower near the end of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by szopz View Post
    I know one tenant is moving over to CN Tower near the end of summer.
    Not to change the subject but in the same article they said that they "looked at making a similar change at the CN Tower, which Strategic also owns, but the floors aren’t designed properly for residential". I wonder what they meant by that? The CN Tower would likely make a better hotel than apartment building in my opinion but what were they referring to about the floors being designed properly for residential?
    Last edited by Voice; 10-05-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Indeed - used to lay squash there.

Good for you Trekker.

But who names their daughter squash ?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Voice
    but what were they referring to about the floors being designed properly for residential?

If nearly square floor plates are too large, it can be difficult to lay out residential suites that are appealing and have a reasonable amount of windows. You end up with really long and narrow suites.

Or maybe there were other structural issues that made it difficult to convert. Depending on the type of structure, beams, etc it can be very difficult to accommodate the mechanical (drainage and exhaust, mostly) for hundreds of washrooms.

The floor plates are fairly basic, regular columns, elevator core in the middle, they should be able to fit 6 perhaps more units per floor. The relatively windowless portion was (is?) the health club, if my memory serves it was floors 2 and 3. Been 15 years since I worked there. But should turn out fine with a reskinning, the building immediately to the north was an office building had gold reflective windows but they turned it into assisted living housing
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54010...7i13312!8i6656

just off imprecise google it looks like the square Harley Court is about as wide as the short dimension of CN tower (`100') he limitations to converting CN are probably more about services and column spacing than floor plate depth.
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by sundance
    But should turn out fine with a reskinning

Again, this is not an envelope/re-skinning project.

Or rather not only a reskinning, but yah gut the insides to the bare bones, probably replace the elevators and mechanical, install a whack load of plumbing for each unit.
    Does the city still subsidize conversion to housing in the downtown core? If my memory is right it was $4,000 per suite.

I believe that's ended but I'd not be surprised to see it return for conversions to try and get rid of the decades of excess empty space we're going to have once Stantec is done & the dust has settled from the various relocations.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

$4500 a door which was in the late 90s, early 2000s for the first 1000 units build. They had a proposal to include $12000 a door under the CRL to accelerate UW housing, but that was retracted as the CRL prevents grants from being provided.

A report is going to Exec or Council on June 8 or thereabouts with multiple recommendations on how to best work on this vacancy issue.

As the Mayor said yesterday, we are in a very different place now and per door subsidies are not being contemplated.
    www.decl.org

A report in June on an issue the City itself helped exacerbate & subsequently tied their hands on? Shouldn't they have thought about the obvious consequences of their actions when they were planning said actions?

Thank god this is an election year.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

The jury is split good sir. Many in that industry (confirmed yesterday) were very pleased that move as it provides the market with some modern, high-quality spaces which we were desperately lacking of. Those new towers are generally now full. It will force others to review the future of their assets and either reposition them, renovate them, convert them or the like.

Percy from BOMA has great perspective on this.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I don't see how or why it is the responsibility of the City of Edmonton, the Oilers Entertainment Group, Qualico (Epcor Tower still has significant vacancy, does it not?) or perhaps Pangman Developments (who built Kelly Ramsey) to look after the financial interests of landlords who own old, un-competitive commercial real estate in the core that need significant investment to stay competitive in the market place.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...to-15-per-cent

“A healthy balanced market is seven to eight per cent vacancy. At 15 per cent, yes, landlords should be worried,” Phil Goh, senior vice-president at Colliers International, told the Edmonton Real Estate Forum at the Shaw Conference Centre.
    He predicted vacancies could reach 18 per cent to 20 per cent next year as companies move into the 66-storey Stantec Tower, scheduled to be completed in October 2018, and other new locations.
    So we should be at 7-8, are currently double that & on track to be nearly triple.

And as to the whole "it will force others to review the future of their assets and either reposition them, renovate them, convert them or the like."

Phil Milroy, chief executive of Westcorp, said he has looked at revamping 25 to 30 office buildings in Edmonton and Calgary over the years and only completed two projects where he found residential redevelopment was worthwhile.
    “When you open up these old buildings, you get lots of surprises … (Also), it has to match the neighbourhood, it has to match the surroundings, and also it has to have the proper amount of parking. It’s harder than you think, but there are opportunities.”
    He doesn’t see much light in the near future, saying the Edmonton office market is being hit by increased supply that even a strong economy couldn’t entirely absorb.
    Rents recently recovered to where they were 30 years ago, he said.
    “The fundamentals are rotten, that’s the only word you can use, and they’re going to get worse,” Milroy said, adding one option is probably tearing some buildings down.

Lots of 40 yr old buildings that need love.

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

I remember when I was in paramedic school in 2001, this building had a private multi level gym near the top floor including a pool that we had to go work out at - It was called The Harley Club if memory serves.

Job No 251753195-001
    Description: To convert an existing Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building to 177 Dwellings of Apartment Housing and to construct an addition and exterior alterations (fitness room on top floor).
    Plan NB Blk 10 Lots 38-40
    Applicant: NORR ARCHITECTS ENGINEERS & PLANNERS
    Create Date: 5/12/2017 10:31:40 AM

251753195-004
    15-Mar-2018
    10045 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 10 Lots 38-40

To convert an existing Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building to 177 Dwellings of Apartment Housing (Change of use from Group D to Group C classification) and to construct an addition and exterior alterations (fitness room on top floor and improvements at grade). Harley Court Development-Main to 13th Floor

NORR ARCHITECTS ENGINEERS & PLANNERS

Recently they've started painting the exterior to a light white-gray color.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Also, it appears this development is now called "e11even"

https://www.strategicgroup.ca/reside...onton/e11even/

Doesn't instill confidence that the website is practically vacant of any useful information, but it's "coming soon."

E11even? Really?
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    If that whole building is going to be white then its definitely going to stand out (in a bad way) IMO

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Lots of 40 yr old buildings that need love.
    Most definately
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

From Today:

Sorry the photo turned out a bit grainy. Not sure about the paint job, think I prefer how it was before.