Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Off Season Thread | Oilers

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Here you are again comparing Draisaitl to Monahan. Tell me, how on Earth am I to take that comparison seriously? Its the kind of comparison a Flames fan would make. The same ones that would suggest Gaudreau=McDavid.
    You are an odd mix of players you irrationally think are superstars, and players you think suck. I think Monahan (and Gaudreau) are very comparable to Draisaitl in terms of the status of their contracts (option for team to either bridge or sign long term), and performance. I would have thought by now the Oilers have learned to appropriately value players (Eberle and Nuge with hindsite should both have got bridge). Draisaitl is a terrific player, but as an RFA getting his first big contract, and an RFA who benefited immensely during the regular season from being on CMD's wing, pretty much every analyst is predicting will get a salary between 6 and 7m. Lets see if you are right, or I am right. The idea there are a bunch of teams with the cap space and the picks to offer him a massive upgrade on that, is very fanciful to say the least.
    What you don't seem to understand is that Draisaitl is unlike Mohahan, or Gaudreau in that he is a power forward physical beast. A guy that dominates at the highest level against the best teams. A guy who's development is being meteoric. That is the difference. Both Gaudrea and Mohahan are not evoking the same ascendency.

What the bet will hinge on, as stated, is whether there is actually an offer sheet. The Flyers, particularly, would love Draisaitl and are a team that have offer sheeted twice in this CBA and as recently as 2012 with Shea Weber. I haven't seen the kind of buzz around whether there will be an offer sheet since Weber. As much as Chia is downplaying it.

I really think Drai is one of the best dozen forwards in the NHL. Right now. With him improving and a chance at being as good as one of the top handful of NHL forwards. The way he see's the ice, his passing, his vision and understanding of what opportunities wil ensue. This guy at a young age has predatorial hockey vision. He's a splendid player, a punishing player, and a beast that is unstoppable.
    I think you're either overvaluing Draisaitl or undervaluing Monohan.

Monohan is a very good player. I think he's comparable. He had 4 goals and one assist in 4 playoff games, with no McDavid drawing the most attention from the opposing team. Draisaitl had 6 goals and 10 assists in 13 games, with 3 of those goals and 2 assists in one game, the blowout.

I think Oil and Draisaitl will settle on a figure just over $7M.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Can't recall where I heard this but for McDavid, someone mentioned 8 years for $97M. If that's not big money I don't know what is. I just hope this team doesn't collapse like 2006.
    I read that too, but I think it was someone just floating an idea. He'll get the league maximum ($14M?), which would put him somewhere around $112M over 8 years.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ He's defiantly worth it.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Here you are again comparing Draisaitl to Monahan. Tell me, how on Earth am I to take that comparison seriously? Its the kind of comparison a Flames fan would make. The same ones that would suggest Gaudreau=McDavid.
    You are an odd mix of players you irrationally think are superstars, and players you think suck. I think Monahan (and Gaudreau) are very comparable to Draisaitl in terms of the status of their contracts (option for team to either bridge or sign long term), and performance. I would have thought by now the Oilers have learned to appropriately value players (Eberle and Nuge with hindsite should both have got bridge). Draisaitl is a terrific player, but as an RFA getting his first big contract, and an RFA who benefited immensely during the regular season from being on CMD's wing, pretty much every analyst is predicting will get a salary between 6 and 7m. Lets see if you are right, or I am right. The idea there are a bunch of teams with the cap space and the picks to offer him a massive upgrade on that, is very fanciful to say the least.
    What you don't seem to understand is that Draisaitl is unlike Mohahan, or Gaudreau in that he is a power forward physical beast. A guy that dominates at the highest level against the best teams. A guy who's development is being meteoric. That is the difference. Both Gaudrea and Mohahan are not evoking the same ascendency.

What the bet will hinge on, as stated, is whether there is actually an offer sheet. The Flyers, particularly, would love Draisaitl and are a team that have offer sheeted twice in this CBA and as recently as 2012 with Shea Weber. I haven't seen the kind of buzz around whether there will be an offer sheet since Weber. As much as Chia is downplaying it.

I really think Drai is one of the best dozen forwards in the NHL. Right now. With him improving and a chance at being as good as one of the top handful of NHL forwards. The way he see's the ice, his passing, his vision and understanding of what opportunities wil ensue. This guy at a young age has predatorial hockey vision. He's a splendid player, a punishing player, and a beast that is unstoppable.
    I think you're either overvaluing Draisaitl or undervaluing Monohan.

Monohan is a very good player. I think he's comparable. He had 4 goals and one assist in 4 playoff games, with no McDavid drawing the most attention from the opposing team. Draisaitl had 6 goals and 10 assists in 13 games, with 3 of those goals and 2 assists in one game, the blowout.

I think Oil and Draisaitl will settle on a figure just over $7M.
    Every one of Monahans goals and assist were on the PP. He had zero EV pts in the playoffs in the series. He was an average of -1 per game in the playoffs. He got nothing done EV.

I've noted the differences. Draisaitl is a supreme hockey tactician that sees the ice incredibly well. He's like a German midfielder in Soccer spotting the opening. His play on the Desharnais OT goal is just a taste of what he can do that is on a whole other level than anybody but elite players. In addition to this excellent hockey vision he is an absolute horse. When he decides to park with the puck awaiting a trailer nobody can get the puck off him. He bought 3 secs on that Desharnais goal, parked with the puck, in OT, in the playoffs against one of the better defensive clubs in hockey. This being an EV play. Unlike Monahan who was special units dependent Drai had 10 EV pts in two series of hockey. I'm a purist, for me the special players can dominate at EV. Which Drai consistently does.

Comparing the players further Drai was +8 in the playoffs. The few times he allowed a GA he was enticed into offensive gambles and jumping the rush along with McDavid. Drai on his own was impeccable. Monahan was -4.

Another point is Drai had 77pts in regular season to Monahans 58. Add in the playoffs and Drai had essentially a PPG season. This is not close. Drais production is increasing every year astronomically, thus my crucial point of him being a player in ascendency. Monahan is not showing that at all. He's showing status quo if that.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Matheson making the Jamie Benn, Kopitar, Tarasenko comparisons for Draisaitl and speculating a 60M 8yr deal. That projects to average of 7.5m/. This being a price in Mathesons estimation without even a contract offer player raid involved. I think we should throw the 6-6-5M right out the window. I think the Negotiation starts at 7something. Precluding offers.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...aisaitl-salary

In anycase these are lofty comparisons and better than Monahan comparables.

ftr my Malkin comparison is related to the team dynamic with Crosby-McDavid, and Malkin-Drai. Both teams having a unique 1-2 punch. Malkin has more silky smooth talent, but Drai more of a bull like Benn or Kopitar. You pay handsomely for those really physically strong players that can bend opponents and results. Theres few players in the game as punishing on the forecheck as Draisaitl. Leon is only 21. Imagine if he gets any stronger. At 216lbs and with jump to get on defenders he's already a monster.

A question is whether the Playoffs have in effect cost the Oilers in this contract. Its short sample, but hard to ignore that a spectacular season followed by an elite playoffs (2nd only to Malkin) is probably a negotiating chip in the Draisaitl account. Drai is still sitting 3rd in league playoff scoring and he's not even in the 3rd round. Its possible that he could finish topten in playoff scoring while playing only two rounds.

What a couple seasons we just witnessed from this player.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-05-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Matheson making the Jamie Benn, Kopitar, Tarasenko comparisons for Draisaitl and speculating a 60M 8yr deal. That projects to average of 7.5m/. This being a price in Mathesons estimation without even a contract offer player raid involved. I think we should throw the 6-6-5M right out the window. I think the Negotiation starts at 7something. Precluding offers.
    I don't think "we" do anything, its the Oilers who are negotiating. 7.5m for 8 years, matches 6.5m for 6 years (because players earn more if they go to free agency, so eating more into those later years costs more, something you don't understand). I'm not sure I would do that deal, I think its a big risk after one very good season to lock up 8 years, but that's for management to decide. But yeah, notice how its not 10m like you were claiming it would be? Funny that...
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-05-2017 at 09:00 AM.

I don't think "we" do anything, its the Oilers who are negotiating. 7.5m for 8 years, matches 6.5m for 6 years (because players earn more if they go to free agency, so eating more into those later years costs more, something you don't understand). I'm not sure I would do that deal, I think its a big risk after one very good season to lock up 8 years, but that's for management to decide. But yeah, notice how its not 10m like you were claiming it would be? Funny that...
    Its not like 6M, funny that...

"Only one good season" lmao. Do you even watch hockey?

Drai has spent most of the last two seasons flirting with PPG numbers. most of the months of play he's in that range. As a very young player.

Draisaitl is a very rare breed. An elite player with dominating size and physicality and with speed and coordination to match. He's a wrecking ball. Sans McDavid this would be a franchise player. I think it possible the presence of McDavid has shadowed how good Leon actually is.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Monohan had Kesler, to deal with. Draisaitl was up against Cogliano. Now that's not close.

Look what Kesler did to McDavid's numbers.

If you want to get into +/- we'll need to talk about Elliott's playoffs vs Talbot. Another huge difference.

Draisaitl is very good. So is Monohan, though probably not as good. You're overvaluing Draisaitl based on a very small sample size, and undervaluing Monohan. I'm guessing you didn't watch a lot of Flames games this season after their brutal start.

I wouldn't say Draisaitl was dominant all season. And he did have McDavid, whether or not you put any stock in that. It's not just that playing with McDavid directly boosts his stats (it does). McDavid always draws the opposing team's best checking assignment, which leaves a lot more room for Draisaitl. I think Draisaitl snuck up on a lot of teams this year, but doubt he will next season.

Lots of comparables. Ryan Johansen is good. So is Jamie Benn, and he gets paid a ton. Bobby Ryan might be a good comparable, going back a few seasons, when he was consistently putting up numbers close to what Draisaitl put up this season. He was richly rewarded, long term, and as soon as he was, his production plummeted. Still a very good player, as he is showing in this year's playoffs, but grossly overpaid for the way he produces now during the season.

Kopitar has two Stanley Cup rings. So does Malkin. Getzlaf has a ring, and is, frankly, a much better player. It depends if Draisaitl continues to improve or has peaked.

We could go on for days. I'm sure the Oilers and Draisaitl's agent are.

I still believe Draisaitl's agent goes for $8M and the Oilers try for something around $7M, and maybe we end up splitting the difference. I'd go $8M if I had too.

He had one really good year (sorry, 19G and 32A is not a monster season). Lots of players have only one good year. See Bobby Ryan. Others are more consistent. See Ryan Getzlaf. I think he's a terrific player, but you may be the single biggest Draisaitl fan in the world, including his parents.

If I'm Vegas, with cap space galore, I'm submitting an offer sheet. That could change the whole thing.

^ One thing that doesn't get considered is that players from non competitive hockey nations play most of their hockey lives against competition that is not a test for them. In that way it can prevent them from getting better through the competition that Canadian hockey kids would take for granted. Due to this players from lesser hockey nations, Like Kopitar, Draisaitl have to fairly independently find and hone the motivation and skills to get them endlessly better. They're not competing with others in this sense, they're competing with themselves. So that such players tend to have impeccable work ethic to end up at this stage and the progress doesn't stop there, it just keeps going due to the players having had better work ethic to get to this level. For players like Kopitar, Draisaitl, to make the NHL, to be star players in the NHL is incredible. But that top echelon of player that has always defeated the odds gets used to doing just that. Drai will continue to improve. Mark it down. The only thing that would stop his meteoric path is serious injury.
    This is why I would bet the house on a Draisaitl or Kopitar and why I love both of the players so much. They get my respect. Always.

Conversely in Soccer, look at someone like Christine Sinclair. I will praise her all game any game because I know she had to spend a lot of her development playing against vastly subpar opponents and players. Individuals like this force themselves to get better even though they are already the best. You can't teach that kind of legendary drive. Some competitors have it. When you find it in a player from a non competitive nation in that sport its truly something special to behold.

Oh, and I'm German heritage..

ps Drai had 51 pts in only 72GP last season. He didn't start up with the big club, remember? That was his first fairly full NHL season and it wasn't even a whole one. Here he is with less than 200NHL games under his belt and he's finishing topten in scoring. He was topten ppg last season too for a short while. That's insane to have that kind of success so quickly. Yes, he's a special player.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-05-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Canada beat Germany 2-1 at the World championships today in the knockout Quarter Final. As usual Drai passing the puck well and setup no less than half a dozen scoring chances against the class team of the tournament. Unfortunately give and go's don't work all that well with German players. Give the puck to somebody and they give it away..

Seeing Leon play for Germany fairly emphasizes the points above. He's on a completely other level and no German forwards like him. Closest thing is Tobias Reider and he's injured. German teams do tend to have good goalies and physical Defenders though. But no so much offensive skill typically. Nice goal by Germany though.

Canada beat Germany 2-1 at the World championships today in the knockout Quarter Final. As usual Drai passing the puck well and setup no less than half a dozen scoring chances against the class team of the tournament. Unfortunately give and go's don't work all that well with German players. Give the puck to somebody and they give it away..

Seeing Leon play for Germany fairly emphasizes the points above. He's on a completely other level and no German forwards like him. Closest thing is Tobias Reider and he's injured. German teams do tend to have good goalies and physical Defenders though. But no so much offensive skill typically. Nice goal by Germany though.
    I still believe there's not enough evidence to bet the bank on, though the evidence to date is pretty compelling. I've just seen so many players have a dominant season, or especially a great playoffs, and get paid for it, only to find it was their best season and they never get back to that kind of game.

And I still believe having McDavid draw the attention from the other team's best checkers gives Draisaitl a lot more room to work with in a way much different that the way it works with Malkin and Crosby. You have to wonder if a guy like Nathan MacKinnon does just as well with the extra room, and he's at $6.3M.

I'd make sure to sign him, try for a number that starts with a 6, and know it could take as much as $8M. He's certainly in Jamie Benn category, and I think he's over $9.

Like you, I'm generally way out of the $6M strata for Draisaitl.

On the Ched's Ryan Jespersen Show today, Ryan mentioned a young draft prospect, Jaret Anderson-Dolan may get overlooked by some NHL teams because he celebrates having two moms. As the Oilers were the first team to use Pride tape on their sticks, I'm sure they'd be happy to judge him on his ability, and if he's worthy of being on Oiler it'd be cool to get the twofer of getting a deal on him and sticking it in the eye of the haters out there

^ Wow, foregoing a promising prospect not even because he himself is gay, but because his parents are? If that's really happening, that's taking homophobia t ridiculous new depths. Any team that shoots themselves in the foot like that for that reason doesn't deserve the kid anyway.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No disrespect but your over reacting. To my knowledge nothing like that has happened so far in the NHL.

^I dont think hes over-reacting. If you read the articles, there were some WHL teams that passed him over because of that.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    On the Ched's Ryan Jespersen Show today, Ryan mentioned a young draft prospect, Jaret Anderson-Dolan may get overlooked by some NHL teams because he celebrates having two moms. As the Oilers were the first team to use Pride tape on their sticks, I'm sure they'd be happy to judge him on his ability, and if he's worthy of being on Oiler it'd be cool to get the twofer of getting a deal on him and sticking it in the eye of the haters out there
    He is ranked 21st in the scouting rankings, the Oilers draft 22nd, he is a C and the team can always use more faceoff depth, so it is possible they take him. However, his smaller size may not be to their liking. I can see the Flames grabbing him since he is a Calgary boy and Brian Burke is hockey's biggest advocate of inclusiveness. As for the WHL, the majority of them operate in small towns so naturally many of those teams and their fans will have the appropriate small town attitudes.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^^
    Indeed. Ryan also implied that even if people aren't overlooking him directly because of his pride in his moms, it may be artificially lowering his ranking in the draft. The Oilers could profit fiscally, professionally, and socially by hoisting the bigotry of old school scouts on their own petards

^
    As I said, if the Oiler's find him worthy, good. If his size doesn't complement the rest of the team, then hopefully Calgary will give him a good home, and his moms can see him both here and in Calgary either way
    Last edited by Ustauk; 23-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.

^sounds like a drama queen if he thinks his, or his parents, sexuality is why he isn't being ranked high enough for his liking.

Drai has spent most of the last two seasons flirting with PPG numbers. most of the months of play he's in that range. As a very young player.
    I always said 6 to 7m for a six year deal. If it goes longer, or shorter, obviously the dollars change (I hope it doesn't go longer, I don't think its wise going too long on young players - even if you look at Malkin his points drop off after his first few years). Seems most people agree with me, not with the 10m you want to give him. I'm not a fan of long contracts, the Nuge and Eberle contracts looked good when they were signed, Yakupov as well. I think Draisaitl will go in a better direction like Hall did, but there are no guarantees, some guys get injured, some guys get lazy / party too hard. I'd be good with five years at 35m, that would keep him hungry in a few years time for the next contract, and if he eats too much Bratwurst at least its not forever:

A lot of people are pegging Draisaitl at $6 million to $7 million a season. I think that’s a reasonable range and where Chiarelli would like to land when the ink is finally done. As for term, I’d certainly be willing to buy some UFA years with Draisaitl. I’m just not sure how many. Might a bridge deal for $35 million over five years be the answer?

For me, getting contracts for young, emerging stars like McDavid and Draisaitl completed for under $20 million combined per season would be a win because that would provide at least some wiggle room when it comes to addressing the rest of the roster down the road. Of course, Chiarelli’s comfort level may vary from mine.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/23/...st-the-oilers/
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-05-2017 at 05:46 PM.

I always said 6 to 7m for a six year deal. If it goes longer, or shorter, obviously the dollars change (I hope it doesn't go longer, I don't think its wise going too long on young players - even if you look at Malkin his points drop off after his first few years). Seems most people agree with me, not with the 10m you want to give him. I'm not a fan of long contracts, the Nuge and Eberle contracts looked good when they were signed, Yakupov as well. I think Draisaitl will go in a better direction like Hall did, but there are no guarantees, some guys get injured, some guys get lazy / party too hard. I'd be good with five years at 35m, that would keep him hungry in a few years time for the next contract, and if he eats too much Bratwurst at least its not forever:

A lot of people are pegging Draisaitl at $6 million to $7 million a season. I think that’s a reasonable range and where Chiarelli would like to land when the ink is finally done. As for term, I’d certainly be willing to buy some UFA years with Draisaitl. I’m just not sure how many. Might a bridge deal for $35 million over five years be the answer?

For me, getting contracts for young, emerging stars like McDavid and Draisaitl completed for under $20 million combined per season would be a win because that would provide at least some wiggle room when it comes to addressing the rest of the roster down the road. Of course, Chiarelli’s comfort level may vary from mine.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/23/...st-the-oilers/
    I don't think anybody is saying $10M. Replacement mentioned the number begins with a 7.

Like you I'm a bit leery of long term big money deals. So much can happen, and I've seen very good players sag badly after signing big deals.

But it's the market that determines a players value, and his is very high right now. #1 centres are very rare and valuable, and he's looking good for that on a lot of teams. Great season, great playoffs, and good showing in international competition.

The question is: do the Oilers go long term, or does Draisaitl sign a bridge contract and go for the really big bucks in a few years?

The Oilers are going to be in salary cap hell with the McDavid contract in two years. Nurse and Benning will be in for a raise soon too. Eberle and Pouliot come off in 3 years, but they'll need to be replaced by somebody. But that's not Draisaitl's problem. That's why it's his agent who will be negotiating, who has no conflicting loyalties. I won't be surprised if the number begins with an 8.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 24-05-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Can't recall where I heard this but for McDavid, someone mentioned 8 years for $97M. If that's not big money I don't know what is. I just hope this team doesn't collapse like 2006.
    Then Drai for 29 mil for four?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 24-05-2017 at 09:52 PM.

^ & ^^

Both of you are counting on these players signing for less than their market value. I'm sure they are nice guys, but that's just stupid for them to do. If they are willing to take less than they can get on the market, I'd rather they did a PK Subban, and donated it somewhere it's really needed, like a children's hospital, instead of using it to subsidize Daryl Katz.

I think Draisaitl might be around $7.5M, but wouldn't be surprised if closer to $8M.

McDavid gets the league maximum, unless his agent is as dumb as a rock. Which he isn't.

If the salary cap is around $76M, which is the figure I've heard for next year, then McDavid gets more than $15M per season. You don't think he'd want to be the highest paid player in history?

I've heard the suggestion that McDavid would make most of his money from endorsements anyway. If that was the case, he'd make a lot more in a bigger market. Not to mention the extra millions saved in taxes playing somewhere like Florida.

It's a business for them, just like it's a business for Katz.

Oilers will have new jersey this fall but same home jersey color orange and will change the color from Royal blue to Navy blue

home jersey will be full time at home games this fall.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/05/25/over-a-dozen-nhl-teams-getting-new-uniforms-in-2017-18/
    Last edited by jagators63; 25-05-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Lander signs with KHL. Not sure if this affects the expansion draft situation.

C2E SME

It doesn't. His contract was expiring, and the Oilers don't need to sign him to meet the minimum exposure requirements. Nor was he going to be protected.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Every time I hear Hall speak, another D bag comment comes out of his lips. Seems the locker room cancer rumors were true....

“I wouldn’t say I wanted them to lose, but it was nice to finally see them maybe get eliminated,” Hall said when asked about whether or not he was cheering for the Oilers to lose Game 7 against the Anaheim Ducks.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/25/...et-eliminated/

C2E SME

I don't see what the problem with that comment is. Why wouldn't he cheer against his former team? I'd probably do the same. If anything, he's just guilty of speaking his mind a bit too honestly. Which if anything is something I'd like to see from more hockey players, instead of the typical cliched junk that says nothing of substance.

Yeah, Top_Dawg can't really blame him.

Quite natural under the circumstances.

^^I think its silly. These guys are in essence, entertainers. That's what they do, they play sports to entertain us. While media interviews may raise your profile, doing something that's going to cause displeasure among your fans (he should be saying something nice like, "oh I was cheering for my old buddies / team-mates", rather than, "I'm bitter and want to stick it to them"), isn't that smart. He didn't need to make the comment, so don't make it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

To say it's nice see friends and old teammates being eliminated is douchy, he spent many years with some of these guys and should be happy that they finally got to experience the playoffs. Cheering against us essentially makes him cheering for the Ducks and a POS like Kesler. Couple this with the Whitney interview and you see what type of person Hall really is, I for one am very glad he is gone (and he used to be one of my favs).

^exactly, this is how you do it: (Subban is all class)

When asked if he is happier now, he spoke about the success he and the Canadiens had during his time in Montreal. The team reached the conference final twice, said Subban, and qualified for the playoffs four of six years. “I was happy in Montreal,” he said. “I have a lot of friends there and I made a lot of friends.”
    http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...-for-who-he-is

It's more honest than anything. It's doesn't read like he was cheering against, or even that he was thrilled to see them go, just that it was "nice" that they didn't go all the way the year after he was traded. Seem fair to me.
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    To say it's nice see friends and old teammates being eliminated is douchy, he spent many years with some of these guys and should be happy that they finally got to experience the playoffs. Cheering against us essentially makes him cheering for the Ducks and a POS like Kesler. Couple this with the Whitney interview and you see what type of person Hall really is, I for one am very glad he is gone (and he used to be one of my favs).
    Strange that you weren't all over Maroon for his negative comments about Anaheim during the second round. Awfully selective of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I don't see what the problem with that comment is. Why wouldn't he cheer against his former team? I'd probably do the same. If anything, he's just guilty of speaking his mind a bit too honestly. Which if anything is something I'd like to see from more hockey players, instead of the typical cliched junk that says nothing of substance.
    Kudos, agree totally, nothing to see here. He's not with the Oilers anymore, not of his own choice, and he's just being honest. To be out of the playoffs for Hall all 7 of his seasons and to see the team have a reversal had to be tough. Also because Hall is a winner and wasn't the reason the team was losing. Hall is a far better player than several of the remaining players on the club.

I'm glad you can entirely discern a persons character and integrity on the basis of a few videos. Are you working for Oilers scouting yet?

^^I think its silly. These guys are in essence, entertainers. That's what they do, they play sports to entertain us. While media interviews may raise your profile, doing something that's going to cause displeasure among your fans (he should be saying something nice like, "oh I was cheering for my old buddies / team-mates", rather than, "I'm bitter and want to stick it to them"), isn't that smart. He didn't need to make the comment, so don't make it.
    But it was fine for Klefbom to suggest that Hall never showed up in big games and was a salient enough reason for him to single out Hall specifically in the clubs difficulty getting past divisional and tough opponents..

That was a low blow if anything and regarding a player that is the best player on any NHL team he has played on. (With the exception of one McDavid part of a season)

Hall is candid. This is nothing new. Many star hockey players are fairly candid and its refreshing actually for some to speak their mind.

Hall could be saying a lot worse about this org and his years spent here. In which the org was a complete circus.

Upgraded our seats today, super pumped. Two sections over, 217 and 4 rows down on the aisle!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice, is it September yet

C2E SME

Upgraded our upper bowl seats today as well. There wasn't a ton of options in the upper/lower bowls that I saw, but there were a few that made it worthwhile to spend a bit more money to move down a few rows and closer to center ice. Looked like LOTS of openings in the "premium" Sportsnet and Sky lounge areas. Which hold zero appeal to me, personally.

Is Dan Girardi an upgrade to Kris Russell? I liked what Russell did and I don't really have issue if the Oil re-sign him but maybe Girardi? Would they be about the same money? I'm not trying to explode the Oil and reshape the whole roster but what are others thoughts?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I would pass on Girardi, he is one step away from the retirement pasture.
    Lots of trade chatter re: Ebs. The Bobfather speculates he'll be traded by this Saturday.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Agreed, sounds like the Ebs for Hamonic rumors are heating up, that would be ideal imo.

^It would be good. Both players had bad years. Russell (if we get him on a good contract) could move to the left side (where he is more natural) to take Sekara's spot while he recovers from injury.

C2E SME

If the Oilers trade for Hamonic, they'd be unlikely to sign Russell. They've already got Larsson, Klefbom, and Sekera locked up long term for around 4-5.5m each. Hamonic would be the 4th. And the club has a ton of control left on Nurse and Benning. Russell wants term, and the Oilers would be making a mistake giving him much term when they've already got 4 D locked up long term.

The stats crowd doesn't like Russell but I thought he made a positive contribution throughout the season, matched well in pairings and due to his blocks and physicality he didn't give up a lot. I thought he was a key piece in our top 4.

I can't see eberle, this version of Eberle, yielding Hamonic. Eberle is also 27. He isn't getting better. I've said this often but I could see his NHL career ending prior to age 30. He's not kidding anybody, doesn't have the fire anymore and he's content to be a way down the lineup passenger. he doesn't make the sacrifices necessary to maintain production in this league. Filling up on goals against weak clubs late in the season doesn't change that. Eberle gets nothing done against playoff worthy clubs. This is a buy back contract. Theres no value in it.

Some teams have already leaked some details of their protection lists for the expansion draft. Been watching social media for any details of the Oilers list, but guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow morning.

C2E SME

Oilers protected list:

The Oilers have protected seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie. See the full list below.

PROTECTED:

Leon Draisaitl (F)

Jordan Eberle (F)

Zack Kassian (F)

Mark Letestu (F)

Milan Lucic (F)

Patrick Maroon (F)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (F)

Oscar Klefbom (D)

Adam Larsson (D)

Andrej Sekera (D)

Cam Talbot (G)
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

These are the players they've left unprotected:

David Desharnais (F)
    Justin Fontaine (F)
    Matt Hendricks (F)
    Roman Horak (F)
    Jujhar Khaira (F)
    Anton Lander (F)
    Iiro Pakarinen (F)
    Tyler Pitlick (F)
    Zach Pochiro (F)
    Benoit Pouliot (F)
    Henrik Samuelsson (F)
    Bogdan Yakimov (F)
    Mark Fayne (D)
    Andrew Ference (D)
    Mark Fraser (D)
    Eric Gryba (D)
    David Musil (D)
    Jordan Oesterle (D)
    Griffin Reinhart (D)
    Kris Russell (D)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't know why they left Kharia unprotected when they just signed him a new contract

I don't see Connor McDavid's name on the protected list above

Not sure of the rules in this draft. Are a certain number of NHL games required to have a player available for the draft? I don't see Slepyshev for instance on either list. I think this is a forward that was coming into his own and that has a pretty good shot, gets into areas, and plays physical.

Yeah, you have to have played a certain number of games. Nurse is also missing from the list of protected, or unprotected players.

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
    There are lots more rules, which can be found here:
    https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansi...es/c-281010592
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 18-06-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Yeah, you have to have played a certain number of games. Nurse is also missing from the list of protected, or unprotected players.

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
    There are lots more rules, which can be found here:
    https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansi...es/c-281010592
    Thanks. I'll leave it for the rule experts to figure this out. Seems like a lot of players that are unprotected have hardly played either. That's why I was confused. One has to know all the contractual specifics I guess to figure out who is and isn't required to be protected. I wonder how many team manage to screw this up or if theres any confusion or controversy over who is, and isn't on the expansion draft list.

Thankfully each team has people paid to look after this, so we can just trust their lists. I'm sure somewhere there's a very wordy document that outlines everything. It would be a bit funny if a team messed up and left a hot player unprotected.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E SME

Stranger things have happened. Chicago had cap concerns created because they didn't fax qualifying offers in on time back in the day, resulting in RFA's briefly becoming UFA's and costing more money to sign: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...er-dale-tallon

The next couple of weeks are gonna be exciting for hockey geeks, starting with the expansion draft and NHL awards tomorrow, then the NHL draft and free agent frenzy.

it will be more exciting if the Oilers could trade one or more of their underperforming 6M dollar players for live NHL bodies that would be more useful. Even with Eberle, Jim Matheson figures its silly to think that the Oilers won't get a useful piece for him. I don't tend to agree. The Oilers are not in the cap position of being able to buy out more contracts. Any team dealing with Eberle needs to deal with a 6M contract. Why would they do that AND give up much of anything?

Its what Matheson discounts, is that there is a COST, appreciable even, to a team inheriting the Eberle contract. Or RNH contract. The latter seems not even to be in play this postseason which is odd as it was one of his more inadequate seasons and he's been trade bait before.

^The salary cap just went up by $2m so there is no urgency to sell the farm. A trade with Eberle is possible one of two ways:

- A player with a similar contract who has underperformed
    - A cheaper player or picks, where the Oilers retain salary.

Eberle was the third highest point scorer for Oilers last year. Even so, he had a bad year - I think he should probably be traded / needs a change, he will have value to the right team in the right situation. Its a bit like Schultz, interesting to see that the Penguins protected him.

Eberle had 3 goals, all season and playoffs, against playoff bound clubs not named Calgary.

Clearly what he did was pad some goals against weaker clubs. He also had ample PP time on a team that tended to get a lot of PP's due to the exploits of such players as McDavid, drawing penalties. Eberle for a large part of this season was on pace for 15 goals. As it is he finished with 20 (barely) in 95GP. Not good enough. Not close to it since goal scoring is the only contribution of any value that he makes. He's a weak forward, easy to play against, easy to push off puck, and his passing is about as down the drain as his goal scoring.

He's also 27 and showing mileage and less willingness to get into, and stay in the areas he needs to score.

tbh he seems like a sated player. I think the 42M helped that along. He doesn't strike me as a guy that wants a lot more than tons of money and fast cars. He stopped being a difference maker in World Juniors.

Remember you were on record he would be a clutch playoff performer.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-06-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Remember you were on record he would be a clutch playoff performer.
    I said I hoped he would be. Turned out he wasn't. As noted - I am ok with trading him. The idea that he is worthless though, is pretty silly. He has worth, the question is simply how much, to which team, and whether or not that justifies a trade or not. Its not like anyone else has stepped into his position yet.

The player isn't worthless, the contract is. Of course theres worth in a player that can score 20 goals. But this is a capped league where value is very relative to contract. In a capped league contracts are a salient factor. The question is whether there is net worth to be had considering the contract, and considering the clearly declining player. (not just this season either)

Eberle at 4M is very tradable.

But is he at 6M?

That's the question.

^which is why, as I pointed out, the Oilers have the option to retain salary. Could retain $2m for example, and the cap situation would be fine, as the cap just went up by $2m. Alternatively trade for an overpaid player like Hamonic, using the "change in scenery" theory to make things better for both teams.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-06-2017 at 03:07 PM.

In the Oilers current cap instance retaining 2M of Eberles salary is arguably as bad as getting nothing for him or gasp, even keeping him..

When you buy out in a capped league this too diminishes the objective overall benefit in making a trade.

tbh I would have left him unprotected. Because there just isn't value at 6M for Eberle. He isn't going to get better either. This is not even a young player anymore. That isn't his excuse.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-06-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Pretty much same view as me:

And then there’s the Jordan Eberle scenario.

There were a couple of exceptionally well-sourced TV rights-holder insiders that had Eberle traded before last weekend, and there has been so much smoke, you have to believe there’s still fire there somewhere.

I’m on the record as saying there’s no reason to trade Eberle now unless somebody offers a deal you can’t refuse. Teenage Finn Jesse Puljujarvi looks like he might require another season of development and the Oilers have a year until they need to clear cap space for Connor McDavid’s new contract.

And Eberle’s stock might be substantially higher than it is right now.

I can’t see him getting value for Eberle. To me, that’s the thing here.

Either during proceedings in Las Vegas or in Chicago, Chiarelli is now in a position where he really doesn’t have to force anything. He can let the proposals come to him, and when the right one comes across the plate, he can be prepared to swing.
    http://nationalpost.com/sports/hocke...9-1afce93173e9

Vegas has talked to Russell, so it will be interesting to see if he is back or not. I'd like to see him signed, but only at a reasonably price - not a long term 4m deal or similar.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What does everyone think about the new jersey? I love last years and wasn't sure about this one but it has grown on me.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...rseys-unveiled

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...50387426115586

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/877346066533724160

C2E Hard Core Contributor

What does everyone think about the new jersey? I love last years and wasn't sure about this one but it has grown on me.
    last years jersey was fantastic. One of the best. All the new adidas ones seem like a step back. the bars and chevrons just seem like they're designed by an elementary school student.

Nashville really got the shaft. They had nice jerseys and now they look like pajamas.

Can't complain about the new New Jersey jersey though.

I'll reserve judgment - I think new jerseys normally look terrible (albeit last years was a great one), but then you get used to them, and start liking them (well, not always). I think the stripes seem a bit weird, but overall, it looks pretty good / clean. As my father is dutch, I like the orange - good protestant color (albeit I am an atheist).

Last edited by moahunter; 21-06-2017 at 09:58 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    last years jersey was fantastic. One of the best. All the new adidas ones seem like a step back. the bars and chevrons just seem like they're designed by an elementary school student.

Nashville really got the shaft. They had nice jerseys and now they look like pajamas.

That looks and sounds so odd lol.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The white Lames jerseys are awful.

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/877355779715604480

https://twitter.com/DerekVanDiest/st...32397474283520

As per @JSportsnet @GoldenKnights are taking Griffin Reinhart. Not a big loss for #Oilers, but 1st and 2nd round picks to acquire him were.

Lucky him.

I thought they would pick Kris Russell.

Or would they just sign him and not waste the pick. I don't know how this stuff works, I hear the Oilers could end up losing Russell.

C2E Continued Contributor

I liked last years blue better, but they aren't bad.

C2E SME

The Oilers didn't protect Russell and he was a pending UFA. Therefore Vegas can sign him during their exclusive free agent negotiating window, and Russell would not count as a pick or signing from Edmonton. Vegas would still have to pick someone else from the team. If the Oilers had signed Russell to an extension prior to the draft but left him unprotected, then he would have counted as a picked player. But Russell would have little interest in signing that contract without a no-move clause, given the uncertainty with the looming expansion draft. In which case the Oilers would have to protect him, which would have thrown a fairly big wrench in to their protection list. They'd have had to go with the 4/4/1 configuration, not 7/3/1, leaving them having to expose three more forwards like Kassian, Letestu, and Maroon.

So there was very little reason for the Oilers to sign Russell prior to the draft. And he if does go to Vegas, he won't count as a pick/signing, so Reinhart will be gone anyways.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 21-06-2017 at 05:26 PM.

^ Actually no - if Russell had signed with Vegas during the exclusive expansion draft period then that would count as an expansion draft pick from the Oilers. If they wait until free agent frenzy then it's business as usual.

C2E SME

Connor McDavid awards:

Hart Trophy
    Art Ross Trophy
    Ted Lindsay Award
    1st All-Star Team
    Cover of NHL 18

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Makes me proud to be a Oilers fan.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...rseys-unveiled

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...50387426115586

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/877346066533724160
    Need one more team to even up the divisions. I predict Quebec in next and Detroit moves to the central

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Connor McDavid awards:

Hart Trophy
    Art Ross Trophy
    Ted Lindsay Award
    1st All-Star Team
    Cover of NHL 18
    What a great night he had, I'm so happy for him!

Just to note that the Ted Lindsay award (I had to look it up) is the former Lester B Pearson award as the most outstanding player as judged by NHLPA members.

The peer voted MVP in other words.

Its the unsung award, but arguably the one that says the most.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Oilers trade Eberle to Isles for Strome.
    On the same line as Tavares, Eberle gets 30goals easy.

C2E Continued Contributor

We will have to wait and see; but he's a soft and predictable player who's unwilling to take a hit to make a play. If he succeeds there than I say good on him; but he never would have under the system we're creating here.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea

We'll see. Everyone said that about him last summer before he played his way off McDavid's line. That being said, I think Eberle should come back motivated next season.

I guess I don't mind the trade for Strome, in isolation. But it likely also indicates that they have come to terms with Russell. Because they kind of needed that piece to fall in to place before they could decide what to do with Eberle. If they don't sign Russell, then the return would have needed to be a D. Personally not a big fan of Russell, but at least there's no acquisition cost to him. But I'd rather they pursue someone like Hamonic, Faulk, or Vatanen. Problem is, those guys would take more than just Eberle, whether in another asset/pick going with him, or a bad contract coming back.

The other wrinkle is that trading for Strome does make me wonder if RNH is on his way out as well. Strome is a better fit as a third line center than RNH.

If he does that, good for him. He wasn't doing it for us, time for a change. Strome is a useful piece for the team.

^^ The Oilers have said their first priority are new contracts for McJesus (RFA next year) and Draisaitl (RFA this year), I understand that was one of the reasons for trading Eberle.

The other wrinkle is that trading for Strome does make me wonder if RNH is on his way out as well. Strome is a better fit as a third line center than RNH.[/COLOR]
    Or - RNH moves to the wing (which I think, could be a very good plan, he is not a faceoff guy).

Huh? McDavid is the best player on the planet not named Sidney Crosby and somehow Tavares is going to forefeed Eberle back to 30 goals.

Eberles current production has to do with the following factors;

1) He ain't doing it against contending teams. He had 3 goals all season and playoffs against playoff clubs not named Calgary. Thus 17 of this goals occurred against Calgary, or non playoff clubs. That suggests he has trouble producing against good teams. He will see more of this in divisional matchups playing with the Islanders.

2) Eberle isn't getting into, and staying in scoring spots enough. This is a 27 yr old small player that has been belted, concussed, and that is now shellshocked and hears footsteps. The same dynamic also occurs to QB's, even recievers in football. It isn't often overcome. Once you got those yips it tends to stay with you.

3) Further to 2 Eberle is less comfortable possessing the puck. Remember his first goal. A brilliant rush where he carries puck long distance, goes through defenders before shelfing it? When have you last seen that. THIS Eberle is no longer comfortable with the puck for long enough to do something like that, and is certainly not comfortable carrying it middle ice through traffic because that's where the NHL freight trains are located.

Eberle is a 6m buck skilled player with hands that at some point quietly said "no mas". At his size, age, and financial worth the self sacrifice and putting body on the line probably isn't coming back. I would certainly bet against another 30 goal year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    We will have to wait and see; but he's a soft and predictable player who's unwilling to take a hit to make a play. If he succeeds there than I say good on him; but he never would have under the system we're creating here.
    An interesting inverse relationship between the Oilers as a team being fodder, and EBerle producing, to the team now being good, and Eberle not producing. This was a player that could score 30 goals when the Oilers were a non factor, teams playing the Oilers lightly, and seldom getting up for games against a club they could easily beat 6-3. Sometimes players in that situation, and often on the PP are able to pad loser goals on bad clubs in 82 game seasons that are uncontested because you are playing on team doormat.

Put the same player on a good team, receiving checking attention and good opponent performance and the same player can't do a thing.

The main thing is Eberle never established that he can fight through NHL checking. He never did. He succeeded only when tight checking was never required to beat the Oilers.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ebs and Hallsy can be roomies again

So just a recap on the Eberle situation. As I noted the trade value for said player was negligible given the contract. So the Oilers manage to get a player in trade that was on the outs in NYI, was being benched repeatedly and for long periods, and who was apparently close to being waived. So the Oilers got a player that they probably could have attained for next to nothing. Islanders get much the same excepting that they are desperate for any goals in their lineup.

The best thing in the deal is that the Oilers managed to avoid buy back (fantastic) and we're short one passenger who was clearly playing his way out of town. Really Eberles performance in the playoffs and most of the season would have to rate as one of the least inspired performances by a player on a competitive team that I have witnessed. His play was so bad it was impossible for Chia to note anything but that this player needed to be gone.

I can't say I'll miss the player, I've seen a lot better. Saying goodbye to Eberle is from a fan pov like saying goodbye to bad times.

I didn't feel this way about Hall because Hall is actually a winner and was still putting out to try to get the team wins. Eberle just gave up at some point.

AS far as Strome the kid has a 50pt season as a 21yr old. Before he was reportedly broken by bad coaching which we've seen happen here as well. Kid was a 5th pick and higher ranked in respective draft years than Eberle. He's also much younger and at least has up potential. Eberle is 27, tiny, and a clearly declining asset. Strome, even playing on a not too good club, even has managed to have a positive +/- and his GA are respectable.

I'm thinking Strome might adjust to this trade better than Eberle. However, if anybody can turn around an underperformer like Eberle its Doug Weight, whom I have the utmost respect for. Theres just no way Eberle will be half assing it on the ice with guys like Weight running the show. He'll be putting in a better effort or being scratched.

Lastly how does anybody think Eberle is automatically going to be getting Tavares. I would think, on a new team especially eberle will be made to earn such placement, unlike what took place here.

For Eberle this is adversity, this is the time in a players career where you either rebound or its done. When your draft team stops loving you its over if you don't rediscover your on ice worth.

No kidding about the Nashville jerseys. But lot of the jerseys look like pyjamas to me. Some are just plain ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

No kidding about the Nashville jerseys. But lot of the jerseys look like pyjamas to me. Some are just plain ugly.
    I probably don't analyze them enough to comprehend the difference but I don't see a lot of change. If anything a little less noisy jerseys, maybe some bigger logos which I like, and less other things going on. That said I have one of the Oilers Jerseys, Ryan Smyth, With the letter, and with the Driller, and I like that one, and prefer the darker hue blue color scheme. The orange jersey to me was time and place. I don't love it, this year upcoming or last.

looking at the jerseys above though is some teams like Anaheim get some more flare on the arms. I like the Ducks. Stripes to me are kind of boring. Get rid of them or most of them. its like pinstripes on a car. Whats the point?

That said I'd spend all day in T shirt and sweats and so I'm not a fashion type person. I'm oblivious to fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea

We'll see. Everyone said that about him last summer before he played his way off McDavid's line. That being said, I think Eberle should come back motivated next season.

I guess I don't mind the trade for Strome, in isolation. But it likely also indicates that they have come to terms with Russell. Because they kind of needed that piece to fall in to place before they could decide what to do with Eberle. If they don't sign Russell, then the return would have needed to be a D. Personally not a big fan of Russell, but at least there's no acquisition cost to him. But I'd rather they pursue someone like Hamonic, Faulk, or Vatanen. Problem is, those guys would take more than just Eberle, whether in another asset/pick going with him, or a bad contract coming back.

The other wrinkle is that trading for Strome does make me wonder if RNH is on his way out as well. Strome is a better fit as a third line center than RNH.
    Maybe you're confusing Ryan Strome with Dylan Strome, who played with McD in Erie (I think it's his brother). I did the same thing earlier.

Ryan Strome is listed as a RW, though he can play some C.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 22-06-2017 at 06:18 PM.

The last link to the horrible Oilers meme "HOPE" got traded today.

Don't ever do that lame stuff again, whoever you are.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ok I get the Eberle salary dump etc bla bla bla. I know its just business but I have some pause about this I just can't put my finger on.

Has there ever been a player that has (WG?) won 3 trophy's in one night like last night?

Ok I get the Eberle salary dump etc bla bla bla. I know its just business but I have some pause about this I just can't put my finger on.

Has there ever been a player that has (WG?) won 3 trophy's in one night like last night?
    Carey Price won 4 a couple seasons ago - The Hart, Vezina, Ted Lindsay, and shared the Jennings with Crawford.

And Guy Lafleur won 4 - the Hart, Ted Lindsay, Art Ross, and Conn Smythe in 1977.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 22-06-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Interesting to see what McDavid and Draisaitl get if extended on July 1st.

Just had a conversation with someone who thinks McDavid would take $8M over 8 years because he wants to win a Cup here.

Considering the league max is now $15M, that might mean he's giving up $7M a year for 8 years, or $56M. I dunno. You can do a lot of good things with $56 million bucks.

Someone on Twitter was saying $14M for McDavid. I hope that's wrong, as it really hurts the team in terms of dollars for supporting players.

C2E SME

Crosby and Ovechkin have a cap hit of around $9.5 M. My guess is that McDavid will make around $10-$11 M.

^I think that's right. Draisaitl will be between 6.5 and 8 depending on the term (probably low 7s, which would be at top end of his RFA peers), McDavid will get what he wants, but most players don't want to destroy the teams cap / ruin chances of getting Stanley Cup - I think he will take maybe 12 at a max.

Unless there is another defence in the works, I'd give Russel two years at $4m. I wouldn't go longer than 2 years though, unless its a very cheap contract.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-06-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast