Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian interference in US politics - starts with James Comey Firing

^ Hey, you history-revising fascist, your health insurer called. They're denying treatment because stupid is a preexisting condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    After 120 days in office, the buck stops at the Cheeto in Chief.
    So he should be standing behind every single intelligence officer making sure they don't release classified material? He should have fixed that in 120 days? If I was him, I'd disband the CIA, FBI, NSA etc., and start again, but if he did that the left media would be even more enraged (who would leak to them then?).

Didn't Trump leak sensitive information himself?

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-leak...s-eb849d3dfa96

^as President he has that authority. Intelligence officers don't. But yeah - its no big deal I guess, who cares, just let the FBI, CIA, etc. release whatever they want to NYT.

^Well, the UK government has said clearly they will stop sharing intelligence with the US if the endless leaks don't stop. I don't think that's trivial, but if you do, great.

This didn't happen under Obama. Must be Trumps doing.

Didn't realize that Trump had the authority to declassify Israeli intelligence...

Oh.

Wait.

He doesn't & the fact that he doesn't realize he's not God Emperor of All He Surveys is part of the reason his behaviour is so damaging to international (and internal US intelligence agency) relations. He's shown the Americans (or the White House for the domestic agencies) can't be trusted & won't do the right thing, instead squandering valuable intel so their Fraudster in Chief can feel like a big man while rubbing elbows with his despotic pals.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^actually, Israel has said they were fine with the information release. But yeah, who cares, its fun media stuff that anything that goes into US intelligence is leaked. It was leaked under Obama, and its leaked now, and any attempts to change that are going to be an evil change by Trump.

That is called being diplomatic. Israel is not going to call out Trump publicly because they need the US desperately. Don't be fooled that Israel is happy that Trump spilled the beans and one of their operatives is probably dead by now.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^ More incorrect spin from the pro-Trump camp.

On Wednesday, Israeli Defense chief Avigdor Lieberman said his country tweaked its intelligence-sharing protocols with the United States after Trump’s off-script remarks. “I can confirm that we did a spot repair and that there’s unprecedented intelligence cooperation with the United States,” Lieberman told Army Radio.
    “What we had to clarify with our friends in the United States, we did. We did our checks,” he added.

Lieberman didn’t clarify how or to what extent Israel changed how it shares intelligence with the United States. But the comments indicate Israel’s displeasure at Trump’s inadvertent leaks. “Not everything needs to be discussed in the media; some things need to be talked about in closed rooms,” he said.

Trump’s loose-lipped comments came during a May 10 meeting at the White House with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador to Washington Sergey Kislyak. Trump reportedly went off-script and disclosed top secret intelligence about the Islamic State terror group during the meeting — information that reportedly came from Israel. The revelations sparked outrage among defense and intelligence officials, with furious Israeli intelligence officials shouting at their American counterparts in meetings...
    Sounds just fine to me!

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/24/...s-to-russians/
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Republican lawmaker Blake Farenthold just called for a special investigation of the murder of Seth Rich (former DNC staff member who may have been the person who leaked the DNC emails to Wikileaks last summer): http://archive.is/qrIW8

A lot of Democrats seem not to want the Seth Rich death investigation to proceed, because if it turns out he was the leaker, it completely destroys their "Russians hacked us!" story.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Republican lawmaker Blake Farenthold just called for a special investigation of the murder of Seth Rich (former DNC staff member who may have been the person who leaked the DNC emails to Wikileaks last summer): http://archive.is/qrIW8

A lot of Democrats seem not to want the Seth Rich death investigation to proceed, because if it turns out he was the leaker, it completely destroys their "Russians hacked us!" story.
    Or perhaps it's just people with a conscience who don't want the circus to continue because:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.461413be46f7

That doesn't explain why anyone would be opposed to an investigation - it's an unsolved murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post

Or perhaps it's just people with a conscience who don't want the circus to continue because:
    From the Washington Post piece (link above(

"We know that Seth’s personal email and his personal computer were both inspected by detectives early in the investigation and that the inspection revealed no evidence of any communications with anyone at WikiLeaks or anyone associated with WikiLeaks. Nor did that inspection reveal any evidence that Seth had leaked DNC emails to WikiLeaks or to anyone else. Indeed, those who have suggested that Seth’s role as a data analyst at the DNC gave him access to a wide trove of emails are simply incorrect — Seth’s job was to develop analytical models to encourage voters to turn out to vote. He didn’t have access to DNC emails, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee emails, John Podesta’s emails or Hillary Clinton’s emails. That simply wasn’t his job."

That doesn't explain why anyone would be opposed to an investigation - it's an unsolved murder.
    There is an investigation. That's what police do. What people are calling for is to undergo a nationally televised farce as a distraction tactic, at the expense of the victim's family. That is what there is opposition to.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

I would like to know if those are actually the parents' words, or if the Washington Post is simply publishing a statement made by the PR handler that the DNC provided them? Also, the FBI hasn't investigated the DNC servers for evidence of hacking (the FBI admitted this). It's premature to say that there was no DNC leaker, or that Seth Rich knew who it was.

For a murder where there are zero suspects and no motive, I find it incredibly hard to believe that the parents would oppose a deeper investigation into their son's death.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 26-05-2017 at 06:35 AM.

I would like to know if those are actually the parents' words, or if the Washington Post is simply publishing a statement made by the PR handler that the DNC provided them? Also, the FBI hasn't investigated the DNC servers for evidence of hacking (the FBI admitted this). It's premature to say that there was no DNC leaker, or that Seth Rich knew who it was.

For a murder where there are zero suspects and no motive, I find it incredibly hard to believe that the parents would oppose a deeper investigation into their son's death.
    Yes, they may been looking at the wrong person. Moreover if it was an inside job, that still doesn't mean other entities are off the hook. Isn't spying, espionage, blackmailing, etc. often all about putting someone into a position where they can't say no and so they do as they are told.

FBI missed House Committees deadline for providing Comey's Trump memos: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fb...rticle/2624174

Could it be because these supposed memos don't actually exist?

or maybe (from the article)

"said it needs more time to evaluate how the special counsel investigation into possible collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia affects the committee's request for information.
    In a letter released Thursday, Assistant Director Gregory Brower, in the FBI's Office of Congressional Affairs, told committee chairman Rep. Jason Chaffetz the special counsel investigation means more "consultation" is needed before any documents are released.
    "In light of this development and other considerations, we are undertaking appropriate consultation to ensure all relevant interests implicated by your request are properly evaluated," Brower wrote. "We will update this response as soon as possible.""

I'd rather C2E than work!

They don't seem to be getting the answers the democrats so desperately want/need. Too much fun.

the investigations continue...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Jared's dogs are up next.lol

C2E SME

I would like to know if those are actually the parents' words, or if the Washington Post is simply publishing a statement made by the PR handler that the DNC provided them?
    What a disgusting question. Why can you not accept that his parents wrote that op-ed themselves? Why is there a conspiracy behind every door for you? The op-ed clearly, CLEARLY lists his parents as the authors. Why do you feel the need to continually question the motives of grieving parents?

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers
    More of the same crap. They aren't opposing a "deeper investigation". The police are investigating. They are opposing people like you who are blinded by ideology from trying to politicize and tarnish the memory of their dead son. You should be ashamed of yourself.

http://archive.is/9A3Wf

The ceaseless churn of increasingly unhinged theories — and Fox News’s willingness to put them on air — torments the Rich family. “It is a travesty that you would prompt false conspiracy theories and other people’s agendas,” Aaron Rich, Seth’s brother, wrote in a letter to Mr. Hannity’s producers, “rather than work with the family to learn the truth.”
    Stop tormenting a family grieving over the death of their son.

FBI missed House Committees deadline for providing Comey's Trump memos: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fb...rticle/2624174

Could it be because these supposed memos don't actually exist?
    Extremely possible...!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    - Why do you feel the need to continually question the motives of grieving parents?
    - They are opposing people like you who are blinded by ideology from trying to politicize and tarnish the memory of their dead son. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    - Stop tormenting a family grieving over the death of their son.
    Because that is how MrOilers has been taught and he parrots the propagandists who attack the victims.

Trump attacks Mexicans, Muslims, Judges, the FBI, women, Ted Cruz, the handicapped, the poor, those needing healthcare, the Press, the Intelligence Community, the DOJ, etc..

I would like to know if those are actually the parents' words, or if the Washington Post is simply publishing a statement made by the PR handler that the DNC provided them?
    What a disgusting question. Why can you not accept that his parents wrote that op-ed themselves? Why is there a conspiracy behind every door for you? The op-ed clearly, CLEARLY lists his parents as the authors. Why do you feel the need to continually question the motives of grieving parents?
    I am only questioning the Washington Post. I don't trust the Washington Post. Not one bit. And neither should anyone with any objectivity.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 26-05-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Hmm Kushner doesn't seem in the least bit worried, CNN looks more worried than him,

CNN - Sources: Comey acted on Russian intelligence he knew was fake: http://archive.is/FEBGu#selection-173.0-173.61

None of this new twist makes any sense at all. Are they blaming Russia on Comey? He knew Russian evidence was fake but decided to investigate anyway? Are these "multiple officials" and "anonymous sources" (even citing the Washington post at one point in the article) worried about Comey's testimony?

Are they trying to convince us that "fake Russian e-mails" we're going to show Hillary's people colluding with Loretta Lynch to make the investigation go away, and that would've swayed public opinion about the case? Wasn't it completely obvious Lynch was colluding with the Clinton people when she met with Bill Clinton in the tarmac that day?

I really am confused by this article. Can someone please explain this?
    Last edited by MrOilers; 26-05-2017 at 12:58 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Speaking of journalistic integrity...:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7749821.html

Maggie Haberman, a White House correspondent for the The Times, suggested that Mr Trump’s team had tried sending reporters false material for stories, but that their efforts had been in vain because journalists “actually vet” the information.
    Probably just more fake news from the extreme left though.

As journalists get physically attacked by Republican multimillionaire candidate

Republican Greg Gianforte apologizes to reporter after winning Montana race
    The Republican multimillionaire was charged Thursday after allegedly body-slamming Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs after he had asked a question.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...onal-seat.html
    BOZEMAN, MONT.—A Montana Republican businessman won the state’s U.S. House seat after being charged with assaulting a reporter on the eve of the election, a victory that may temper Democrats’ hopes for a massive anti-Trump wave next year.

Greg Gianforte apologized late Thursday for attacking a reporter who had asked about the GOP health care bill.
    “Last night, I made a mistake. I took an action I can’t take back and I am not proud of what happened,” he said.

Gianforte must appear in court by June 7 on the misdemeanour charge, which carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $500 fine.
    The things that reporters have to deal with just to report the news to the public. In Russia, reporters end up dead.

The reporter should consider himself lucky, this time...

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-05-2017 at 01:37 PM.

I am only questioning the Washington Post. I don't trust the Washington Post. Not one bit. And neither should anyone with any objectivity.
    What's wrong with the Washington Post? It's one of the most reputable news organizations in the USA. Trump hates it because they actually fact check and find problems with just about everything Trump says...

Matt, you're forgetting that facts have a well-known liberal bias & aren't to be trusted.

C2E SME

Right, because a major news media organization would just invent an op-ed about an incredibly controversial and well known issue out of whole cloth, and no one would notice.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous and paranoid you sound?

The Washington Post is owned by Billionaire Jeff Bezos. Not only is he a staunch Democrat supporter and supporter of Hillary Clinton last election campaign, but he was an open critic of Donald Trump. His company, Amazon, also has a $600 million contract with the CIA to do computer security work (coincidentally, every single Intelligence and White House leak goes to the Washington Post first. Hmmm).

The Washington Post, has been attacking Trump daily since he announced his candidacy. Every political opinion piece and news story has attacked Trump, every single day for years now. Never once has that paper ever said anything positive about him, even whenever something positive happens.

The Washington Post is a political blog/advocacy tabloid for Jeff Bezos, and should not be treated as an objective a news source.

Right, because a major news media organization would just invent an op-ed about an incredibly controversial and well known issue out of whole cloth, and no one would notice.
    A lot of people notice, myself included.

But apologists (like you and others in this thread) blindly trust and defend everything they write because they happen to hate Donald Trump as much as the staff of the Washington Post does.

Try to be objective for a second and you'll see that the Washington Post is to Jeff Bezos what the Rebel Media is to Ezra Levant.

But apologists (like you and others in this thread) blindly trust and defend everything they write because they happen to admire/love/trust Donald Trump as much as the staff of the Fox News does.

Try to be objective for a second and you'll see that Fox News is to Rupert Murdoch what the Rebel Media is to Ezra Levant.
    Fixed that for you. You had the wrong billionaire, news organization & position on Trump in your original.

Yes, 140 year old pillars of journalism just want to throw it all away to 'get their man'

The Republican multimillionaire was charged Thursday after allegedly body-slamming Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs after he had asked a question.
    BOZEMAN, MONT.—A Montana Republican businessman won the state’s U.S. House seat after being charged with assaulting a reporter on the eve of the election, a victory that may temper Democrats’ hopes for a massive anti-Trump wave next year.

Greg Gianforte apologized late Thursday for attacking a reporter who had asked about the GOP health care bill.
    “Last night, I made a mistake. I took an action I can’t take back and I am not proud of what happened,” he said.

Gianforte must appear in court by June 7 on the misdemeanour charge, which carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $500 fine.
    The things that reporters have to deal with just to report the news to the public. In Russia, reporters end up dead.

Meanwhile in Texas...

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott jokes about shooting reporters after celebrating gun bill

Following the bill signing, Abbott tested out a few guns at an upstairs shooting range.

“I’m gonna carry this around in case I see any reporters,” Abbott joked while holding his bullet-ridden target sheet.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/tex...ting-gun-bill/
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 26-05-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    But apologists (like you and others in this thread) blindly trust and defend everything they write because they happen to admire/love/trust Donald Trump as much as the staff of the Fox News does.

Try to be objective for a second and you'll see that Fox News is to Rupert Murdoch what the Rebel Media is to Ezra Levant.
    Fixed that for you. You had the wrong billionaire, news organization & position on Trump in your original.
    If you think I defend Murdoch or Fox news in any way, you are not paying attention.

(I did notice that you cannot defend the Billionaire owner of Washington Post and how he uses his media outlet to preach his political advocacy)

Here is some more top-notch commentary from the Washington Post yesterday:

The conservative mind, in some very visible cases, has become diseased. The movement has been seized by a kind of discrediting madness, in which conspiracy delusions figure prominently. Institutions and individuals that once served an important ideological role, providing a balance to media bias, are discrediting themselves in crucial ways.
    http://archive.is/9zkcY

(I did notice that you cannot defend the Billionaire owner of Washington Post and how he uses his media outlet to preach his political advocacy)
    I chose not to respond to your unfounded & baseless claims of bias, because why bother? You're parroting Hannity, Alex Jones & other Trump-supporting individuals with a tenuous grasp on reality. There's absolutely nothing I can say or do to change your mind, so I figured I'd let you wallow in your own crapulence.

Change the word "reporter" to "politician" in some of the statements and actions and see how some of the same politicians who spout off about reporters would react to that then. Oh right some of them already probably have body guards with guns, they would probably just hire more, after all its paid for by public money not theirs.

At least the guy in Montana apologized for his bad behavior, which is better than some. Of course he has a court date coming up quite soon and I suspect he realizes some remorse might be a very good idea if he wants the judge to go easier on him.

He was lucky the incident happened so close to the election as a lot of absentee ballots had already been cast before this. If it happened a few days earlier it might have cost him the election.

Even if the judge doesn't require it, he might want to consider an anger management program - it appears he has some issues he needs to work on.

The conservative mind, in some very visible cases, has become diseased. The movement has been seized by a kind of discrediting madness, in which conspiracy delusions figure prominently. Institutions and individuals that once served an important ideological role, providing a balance to media bias, are discrediting themselves in crucial ways.
    And another one here:

Trump got Egypt to free an American prisoner. Here’s her story. - The Washington Post

Excerpt:
    "Yet inside prison, her captors were puzzled: Why, they asked, did the U.S. government do nothing to help her? For more than two years, the State Department offered no public protest or even expression of concern about her case."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.e545c46dd82c
    Now about that "discrediting madness"...
    Last edited by KC; 26-05-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I chose not to respond to your unfounded & baseless claims of bias, because why bother?
    Ah, I see. You chose to ignore reality.

That's OK - I have faith that one day you will recognize that right-wingers aren't the only people who can be dishonest and have self-serving agendas. You might have a hard time accepting it, but the people on the left are every bit as guilty.

Ah, I see. You chose to ignore reality.
    Ignoring your unsupported & unsubstantiated claims isn't ignoring reality. It's simply disregarding the ramblings of an angry, confused, sad, regressive, illiberal individual whose quite clearly out of touch & step with the modern world. You've got less than no credibility with me, ignoring you would be a step up at this point. Instead I pay attention to the nonsense you spew & laugh.

Once again, another example of a person on the left of the political spectrum who cannot converse with people they disagree with without resorting to childish insults. I am disappointed in you, noodle. I thought you were different.

coming from you, that is laughable and sadly hypocritical...

Once again, another example of a person on the left of the political spectrum who cannot converse with people they disagree with without resorting to childish insults. I am disappointed in you, noodle. I thought you were different.
    You're pretty much exactly who've I've always thought you to be. As constant as the northern star, but nowhere near as bright.

snicker...

more than just a candy bar but an emotional experience

Golly gee, why would they say that? I wonder what conspiracy theorists they are thinking of, could it be birther Trump or everything is a conspiracy Bannon? Those are the two that come first to mind for me, but I gather the White House now is also chock full of a number of lesser knowns who think along the same lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Golly gee, why would they say that?

I don't know, but what this Washington Post writer says about Conservative beliefs plagiarizes what German propaganda said about Jews and the Talmud leading up to starting WWII:

It seems to us more the miscarriage of a hysteric and diseased mind in the last stages of mental illness than a book of faith and customs, especially when we are told that that it reveals the nature of “fellow human beings” living in our midst “in a sharp and accurate way.”

From Aufklärungs- und Redner-Informationsmaterial der Reichspropagandaleitung der NSDAP., Lieferung 21 (September 1935)
    http://research.calvin.edu/german-pr...chive/rim3.htm

Anyone who thinks the Washington Post isn't being used as a propaganda rag at this point really is fooling themselves.

Oh yes, Conservatives these days are JUST like the Jews. How could we have been so blind?

I'd better get started on my Conservative Concentration Camp. I'm WAY behind schedule.

The Washington Post wrote it, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Golly gee, why would they say that?

I don't know, but what this Washington Post writer says about Conservative beliefs plagiarizes what German propaganda said about Jews and the Talmud leading up to starting WWII:

It seems to us more the miscarriage of a hysteric and diseased mind in the last stages of mental illness than a book of faith and customs, especially when we are told that that it reveals the nature of “fellow human beings” living in our midst “in a sharp and accurate way.”

From Aufklärungs- und Redner-Informationsmaterial der Reichspropagandaleitung der NSDAP., Lieferung 21 (September 1935)
    http://research.calvin.edu/german-pr...chive/rim3.htm
    Anyone who thinks the Washington Post isn't being used as a propaganda rag at this point really is fooling themselves.
    I don't think two of the same words (out of about 50 total) is a very strong argument for plagiarism for most people, outside of conspiracy theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Meanwhile in Texas...

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott jokes about shooting reporters after celebrating gun bill

Following the bill signing, Abbott tested out a few guns at an upstairs shooting range.

“I’m gonna carry this around in case I see any reporters,” Abbott joked while holding his bullet-ridden target sheet.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/tex...ting-gun-bill/
    If the gun slinging ***** in Texas said that about women, Mexicans or blacks, he would be in real trouble.

BUT in the US it is 'open season' on reporters.

Gee, secret back channel communications between Trump transition team and the Russians? What could possibly be wrong with that?

Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Jared Kushner and Russia’s ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump’s transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergei Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, son-in-law and confidant to then-President-elect Trump, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

The meeting also was attended by Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5aeb7b48ebea
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 26-05-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Gee, secret back channel communications between Trump transition team and the Russians? What could possibly be wrong with that?

Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Jared Kushner and Russia’s ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump’s transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergei Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, son-in-law and confidant to then-President-elect Trump, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

The meeting also was attended by Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5aeb7b48ebea
    Yes, it makes one wonder what they wanted to talk to the Russians about that they wanted to keep secret from the US government. I suspect there is someone in the White House saying something like, "but it seemed like a good idea at the time" right now.

If it turns up that there are no verifiable records of these conversations, I suppose this may turn out to be the current equivalent of all those minutes of missing tape in Watergate. As I recall all the speculation about what was missing only made it even worse. History seems to be repeating and not in a good way.

Then there is this, um person. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/05/26/p...nce/index.html

Comey acted on Russian intelligence he knew was fake

Huh?

Bipartisan demand for Trump campaign records going back to 2015.

Senate Intelligence Committee requests Trump campaign documents

"The letter was signed by Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), the Senate committee’s chairman, and Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), the committee’s ranking Democrat. Spokespeople for Burr and Warner declined to comment.

The request to Trump’s political operatives represents the first time that Trump’s official campaign structure has been drawn into the Senate committee’s ongoing bipartisan investigation. That investigation is separate from the federal probe being led by the Justice Department’s special counsel, former FBI director Robert S. Mueller III.""

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.47e8b3b731ba

Reuters is reporting Jared Kushner had at least three more undisclosed contacts with Russians.

Fri May 26, 2017 | 9:07pm EDT
    Exclusive: Trump son-in-law had undisclosed contacts with Russian envoy - sources

U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and close adviser, Jared Kushner, had at least three previously undisclosed contacts with the Russian ambassador to the United States during and after the 2016 presidential campaign, seven current and former U.S. officials told Reuters.

Those contacts included two phone calls between April and November last year, two of the sources said. By early this year, Kushner had become a focus of the FBI investigation into whether there was any collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin, said two other sources - one current and one former law enforcement official.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN18N018

I do wonder where all the information is coming from. Seeing Hillary still in a snit today, gave me joy.

The bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee. They have requested all documents, emails and communication by the Trump campaign going back to July 2015.

This is a request from both Democratic and Republican Senators.

The noose is tightening.

Jared Kushner is reported to be involved with Michael Flynn at Trump Tower, in creating a back channel with the Russians using Russian diplomatic facilities to create a secret and secure back channel. It is reported that even the Russian Ambassador was taken aback by the prospect.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/528402/

The noose tightens and the investigations are accelerating.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-05-2017 at 10:23 PM.

I wonder if this blow up in the democrats faces, I just have a feeling it will.

What are the odds that Trump didn't know what his most trusted aide and son-in-law was doing?

Ex-CIA head: ‘If an American intelligence officer had done’ what Kushner did ‘we’d consider it espionage’

Speaking with host Lawrence O’Donnell, John McLaughlin — who served as Acting Director of Central Intelligence under President George W. Bush after director George Tenet stepped down — was asked about the blockbuster report by the Washing post.

“John McLaughlan, you worked in the CIA. You come across say an intercepted Russian communication which seem what would be the certainly CIA reaction to intercepting this communication from the Russian ambassador indicating that Jared Kushner wanted to set up this secret communication?” O’Donnell asked.

“Well, Lawrence, if that’s what it was, the first reaction would be is this a prank?” McLaughlin — who still seemed stunned — replied. “It would be kind of disbelief, because it’s not the sort of they think you would expect to happen in a normal transition. So oddly for me, I was thinking about it tonight. I see all of this through the eyes of an intelligence officer, of course. And it is simultaneously familiar and bizarre. Familiar in the sense that I know secret channels, used them all my life. Bizarre in the sense that it’s a proposed secret channel through the government that is probably the most active government in the world in carrying out espionage against the United States.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/ex-c...-it-espionage/

Connecting the dots.

MSNBC connects dots on Kushner — and draws a straight line to campaign propaganda by Russians on Facebook

Appearing on MSNBC with host Lawrence O’Donnell — and with one panelist saying “I texted with a senior administration official and said how bad is this for Jared Kushner? He said ‘very very bad.'” — conservative Max Boot pointed the finger at Trump and noted that many of Kushner’s activities as part of the transition team now seem connected.

“You have to be deeply suspicious of what Jared Kushner is up to here sitting at the right hand of the president,” Boot began. “Because this is not the only connection he has with the Russians. We also know that in this same time-frame where he was trying to set up the secret communications channel with Sergey Kislyak, he was also meeting with the head of a sanctioned Russian bank and a former KGB officer who is very close to Putin. What the heck were they discussing?”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/msnb...s-on-facebook/

On Facebook? LOL,okay...

It was on the popular MSNBC, not on failing FOX News.

The Washington Post and major news outlets are breaking new revelations every day and are connecting letters that the investigative reporters had not been able to verify for months. Now they are able to cooberate their stories and connect the dots.

The noose is tightening and the multiple investigations are gaining traction.

These connections have long been connected within the security establishment yet in security establishment testimony no one proclaimed a suspected guilt among any American citizen.

A lack of evidence doesn't mean innocence and that lack of evidence doesn't mean guilt, all it means is that the truth may never be known so it's rational to reserve judgement and irrational to choose a side.

Agreed

If the investigations find nothing, justice has been restored.

If the investigations result in charges and the courts find people guilty, justice has been restored.

A win win situation.

Let the investigations continue...

The Atlantic (and NYTimes) articles on Kushner fall apart about 4 paragraphs in, using the Washington Post as a source:

The report in the Post could not immediately be independently confirmed and goes beyond reporting in other outlets. It stems from an anonymous letter the paper received in mid-December. Intelligence officials, the paper said, subsequently confirmed Kushner’s desire to establish a secret channel so that the Trump team could conduct politically sensitive communications.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/528402/

So it's not independently confirmed, the source is an anonymous letter, and anonymous intelligence "officials". It's like the game of "telephone" with these people. Just like the NYTimes' reporting the contents of what some unknown person read to them in part of a memo that Comey allegedly wrote. It's not journalism. It's blatant anti-Trump propaganda.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 27-05-2017 at 08:15 AM.

I should add, any kind of accusations against Kushner in these stories make no sense:

The Trump campaign is accused of colluding with Russia to win the election. OK, I get that. So how could Kushner searching to establish a communication with people in Russia - a month AFTER Trump won the election - possibly have anything to do with that?

Easy. A continuation of their collaboration because once in office, the Intelligence scrutiny is far higher so a secret back channel may have been planned.

Kennedy had a back channel to avert the nuclear war crisis.

Kushner and Trump have both relied on Russian financing for the real estate projects because American banks won't touch them after Trump's numerous bankruptcies. If Kushner was in contact with both a Russian bank and the Russian ambassador (as has been reported), he most likely was trying to arrange for more financing that could come with the removal of sanctions.

If he was trying to do it on behalf of Trump's businesses as well as his own, thats conspiracy, which explains why there's an ongoing RICO investigation as well.

Kushner Met With Russian Banker Who Is Putin Crony, Spy School Grad

The Russian banker Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner met with in December is viewed by U.S. intelligence as a "Putin crony" and a graduate of a "finishing school" for spies who was often tasked with sensitive financial operations by Putin, according to multiple U.S. officials and documents viewed by NBC News.

Sergey Gorkov, 48, graduated from the FSB Academy, which was chartered in 1994 to educate Russian Intelligence personnel. He has long served Russian President Vladimir Putin in critical economic roles. Most recently, Putin chose him to head of the state-owned VneshEconomBank (VEB). As the Russian state national development bank, VEB has played a critical role in blunting the impact of U.S. sanctions against Russia by finding other sources of foreign capital.

Before that, Gorkov was the deputy chairman of Sberbank, Russia's biggest bank, also state-owned, and also under U.S. sanctions since 2014.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...l-grad-n765311
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 27-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.

C2E SME

Agreed

If the investigations find nothing, justice has been restored.

If the investigations result in charges and the courts find people guilty, justice has been restored.

A win win situation.

Let the investigations continue...
    I don't agree with that summary at all. If I were a betting man right now, I would bet that in the end there is nothing found that either definitively proves that there was collusion, or that was outright illegal. But that doesn't mean Trump is suddenly going to be a stable, capable, effective President. The man is a borderline lunatic, whether or not he was intentionally colluding with the Russians. And worse than that, he's surrounded himself with people like Bannon, who are even worse. Bannon actively wants a conflict with the Chinese, for example. Trump himself is mostly an empty vessel, with no reasoned worldview. Just a bundle of emotions and ego. He can be manipulated by just about anyone that is skillful at it. In terms of his ability to start conflicts, whether small or global, there is virtually no check on his power. That is a terrifying amount of power in the hands of someone so unstable and who lacks any sort of a moral compass or empathy towards other human beings.

Listen to these podcasts if you want to hear some extremely intelligent and well informed people talking about the issue far better than I can:

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...-all-cucks-now

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...sia-connection

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...to-impeachment

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers
    So how could Kushner searching to establish a communication with people in Russia - a month AFTER Trump won the election - possibly have anything to do with that?

It is illegal for a private US citizen to attempt to conduct foreign policy on behalf of the US. You don't seem aware of that, or the fact that Trump was not actually President until January 20th. He didn't automatically become President the morning after the election. That's not how these things work.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 27-05-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Marcel

I agree with everything you said but my simple point was only to allow the investigations to continue. Trump and his supporters say that there is nothing there, Trump calls it a witch hunt and has actively stated that he wants it shut down.

Let the investigations continue unimpeded.

It is illegal for a private US citizen to attempt to conduct foreign policy on behalf of the US. You don't seem aware of that, or the fact that Trump was not actually President until January 20th. He didn't automatically become President the morning after the election. That's not how these things work.

No offense, but I am going to take the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security's opinion on this over yours.

DHS Secretary Kelly: Kushner Back Channel With Russia Is "Normal And Acceptable," "Not A Bad Thing":
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...cceptable.html

Here is Senator Lindsay Graham (who has always been a very open and loud critic of Trump) even saying that he doesn't believe Kushner did anything wrong.

Lindsey Graham: Kushner Report Could Be Based On Disinformation; Russia Has Whole Nation "Chasing Their Tails"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...e_anymore.html

No offense, but I am going to take the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security's opinion on this over yours.

DHS Secretary Kelly: Kushner Back Channel With Russia Is "Normal And Acceptable," "Not A Bad Thing":
    Kushner was trying to get the Russians to use their own equipment, specifically to disguise it from American intelligence. Back channels may be normal, but asking a hostile country that's been interferring in your election to help you hide from your own government is not normal.

Kennedy has a back channel during the Cuban Missile crisis but he didn't try and set it up before he was even sworn into office. And he certanly wasn't trying to hide from his own government.

All this Russian collusion is getting out of hand!

Bloomberg: Inside Obama’s Secret Outreach to Russia

The U.S. has been working behind the scenes for months to forge a new working relationship with Russia, even enlisting Henry Kissinger
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...each-to-russia

To be fair; if Obama was doing something illegal, it needs to be investigated as well.

BTW: MrOilers I am constantly amazed that you call any report (or poll) by the MSM involving Trump as liberal fake news but if it is about Obama or the Democrats, that you take it on face value.

Kushner was trying to get the Russians to use their own equipment, specifically to disguise it from American intelligence. Back channels may be normal, but asking a hostile country that's been interferring in your election to help you hide from your own government is not normal.

Kennedy has a back channel during the Cuban Missile crisis but he didn't try and set it up before he was even sworn into office. And he certanly wasn't trying to hide from his own government.
    It sounds like treason to me. Even if you don't trust your own country's intelligence service, what reason would he have for trusting Russia's even more?

And Kushner is a private citizen. Kennedy was not.

There are rules against private citizens working with foreign governments in such matters.

C2E SME

Of course Kelly thinks what Kushner did was tickety-boo. Kushner's daddy-in-law is Kelly's boss. Meanwhile, an ex-CIA director feels that Kushner's actions would qualify as espionage (against the US) if they were conducted by an intelligence officer: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ith-russia-cia

Of course Kelly thinks what Kushner did was tickety-boo. Kushner's daddy-in-law is Kelly's boss. Meanwhile, an ex-CIA director feels that Kushner's actions would qualify as espionage (against the US) if they were conducted by an intelligence officer: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ith-russia-cia

Moreover, it's not a fine line that one would accidentally cross. It's a huge obvious line that requires deliberate intent to jump over.

As for private or public - he was going to be a public actor so that has to be taken into account. A private person possibly jumping to soon into a role? Yes possibly so, but this goes beyond that.

Acting on orders by Trump? That angle hasn't come up yet.
    To avoid domestic leaks? Maybe so but what is so important that leaks to your bosses, the electorate, is so critical to avoid as to prefer the risk of Russians leaking to who knows who or what, to their own advantage?

Why did Jared Kushner want a back-channel through Russian facilities?

"Contacts between a transition team and foreign diplomats is indeed entirely normal," said Eliot Cohen, a professor at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies and a former State Department official. "What is not normal, though, is asking a hostile government to provide secure comms to avoid FBI/NSA surveillance in order to do what, precisely."

Colin Kahl, a professor at Georgetown and former national security adviser to Joe Biden, echoed that assessment.

"A private citizen using secure comms of a hostile power to undermine US policy undetected is not good or normal," Kahl saidon Twitter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...el-ties-2017-5

Last edited by KC; 29-05-2017 at 05:04 PM.

A Timeline: Russia and President Trump - Salon.com

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/28/a-ti...trump_partner/

Interesting that Trump had some Russian connections as early as 1987. I wonder if that's a case of Russia playing the long game? Or is it that a peaceful, productive US-Russia relationship has been thwarted by the old 'Cold War' guard, and Trump is trying to do an end-run around them?

Also an interesting read here. Very pro-US and nationalistic. Shows some of the timing of Trumps interest in entering politics. Started around the same time as did his Russian dealings:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ebrity/422838/
    Last edited by KC; 29-05-2017 at 05:37 PM.

^^ it's not like Trump suggested that the FBI and other intelligence agencies were not competent in establishing or maintaining proper channels...

^^ it's not like Trump suggested that the FBI and other intelligence agencies were not competent in establishing or maintaining proper channels...
    No good deed goes unpunished- especially if the deed is attempted by a jerk. (A scenario like that fable: the spoiled brat who cried wolf... )

Story Arts | Aesop's ABC | The Boy Who Cried Wolf
    https://www.storyarts.org/library/ae...ories/boy.html
    Last edited by KC; 29-05-2017 at 05:41 PM.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...www.google.ca/

Forbes had a good piece

There Remains No Evidence Of Trump-Russia Collusion

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...www.google.ca/

Forbes had a good piece

There Remains No Evidence Of Trump-Russia Collusion
    What's missing from all this is the degree of contact with other countries. How much similar contact was there with Mexico, Canada, China, Britain, Germany, France, etc. That would provide useful context. Were they working on back channels to all these and other countries? If so, then the Russian contact makes more sense. If not, then what was the purpose of the Russian focus?

What's missing from all this is the degree of contact with other countries. How much similar contact was there with Mexico, Canada, China, Britain, Germany, France, etc. That would provide useful context. Were they working on back channels to all these and other countries? If so, then the Russian contact makes more sense. If not, then what was the purpose of the Russian focus?
    What's missing is that this isn't a Forbes article at all, it's a Forbes Contributor article.

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
    It's basically an independently written, pro-Russia, hyper-right-winger's blog hosted by Forbes, not an actual product of the organization itself.

How much similar contact was there with Mexico, Canada, China, Britain, Germany, France, etc. That would provide useful context. Were they working on back channels to all these and other countries?
    This is an excellent question, and is a major reason why so many people mistrust the news - journalists and reporters try to sway public opinion by omission.

Is: Jared Kushners live about to come to a screeching halt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ing-halt#img-1
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Donald Trump's personal lawyer becomes focus of Russia investigation
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7763911.html

The federal investigation into alleged collusion between Donald Trump’s campaign team and Moscow, has now spread to include the President’s personal lawyer.

Michael Cohen, who was previously employed by the Trump Organisation, told US media he had been asked by House and Senate
    ADVERTISEMENT

investigators to provide “information and testimony” about any contacts he had with people connected to the Russian government. He said he had said down the invitation.

“I declined the invitation to participate, as the request was poorly phrased, overly broad and not capable of being answered,” he told ABC News. The Associated Press said that a member of staff of the House Intelligence Committee said Mr Cohen had confirmed that Mr Cohen had been issued a subpoena.

After Mr Cohen rejected the congressional requests for cooperation, the Senate Select Intelligence Committee voted unanimously to grant its chairman, Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina, and ranking Democrat Mark Warner of Virginia, blanket authority to issue subpoenas as they deemed necessary.

That means the bipartisan committee was so pizzed off that they now allow individual members to issue subpoenas at will. This is not good for his client, Donald Trump and his associates.

Mr. Cohen is full of bluster and is well know for his legal and verbal bully tactics that have threatened many people into silence. He is also known for his poor legal defence tactics including outrageous claims that Trump could not have committed rape agains his first wife because they were married. The Courts did not agree with his opinion.

Mr. Cohen will quickly find out that his low brow legal tactics will not work against the power of Senate committees and Justice Department investigations. He himself may be implicated because it is believed that many of the dubious Russia and foreign deals over the past decade went across his desk.

He is in way over his head and Trump better find a capable lawyer and fast...

And a word to Mr. Cohen. You better find a lawyer willing to defend you, and fast...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 30-05-2017 at 08:41 PM.

How much similar contact was there with Mexico, Canada, China, Britain, Germany, France, etc. That would provide useful context. Were they working on back channels to all these and other countries?
    This is an excellent question, and is a major reason why so many people mistrust the news - journalists and reporters try to sway public opinion by omission.
    Not omission. Why isn't the Trump administration coming out and saying either that yes we talked with the Russians AND ...all these other ambassadors, etc. OR SAY, yes we were focused on the Russians because we were trying to do this or that with Russia. That would be reported.

If it was the latter, well, instead the Trump administration is on a track that is trying to maintain the secrecy of the purpose of those meetings and so is on a track similar to that of guilty party unable to reveal or justify their nefarious intentions. They are doing more to raise suspicions than appear honourable in their intentions. So why their defensive rather than offensive posture.
    Last edited by KC; 30-05-2017 at 09:49 PM.

VR Systems?

Hmm I wonder if that now stands for Virtually Russian?

Anyway, Trump should be happy.

Contractor charged with leaking document about U.S. election hacking: sources | Reuters

"The U.S. Department of Justice on Monday charged a federal contractor with sending classified material to a news organization that sources identified to Reuters as The Intercept, marking one of the first concrete efforts by the Trump administration to crack down on leaks to the media."...

"The Intercept's reporting reveals new details behind the conclusion of U.S. intelligence agencies that Russian intelligence services were seeking to infiltrate state voter registration systems as part of a broader effort to interfere in the election, ..."

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN18W2VE
    Even if they found hard proof that the voting systems were hacked, there's no way that they could ever let that out.

Top-Secret NSA Report Details Russian Hacking Effort Days Before 2016 Election

"However, the report raises the possibility that Russian hacking may have breached at least some elements of the voting system, with disconcertingly uncertain results."

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/...2016-election/
    Last edited by KC; 05-06-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Latest NSA Leak Reveals Exactly the Kind of Cyberattack Experts Had Warned About - MIT Technology Review

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...-warned-about/

James Comey said he didn’t want to be left alone with President Trump - The Boston Globe

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...ReadMore_Pos18

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast