Thread: Oshry not seeking reelection in 2017

Default Oshry not seeking reelection in 2017

Does Oshry have a second chance?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Michael Oshry will not seek re-election: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ek-re-election

Good.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not sure why he had such an axe to grind about the City of Champions signs, yes they are dated and could use an update. But they should have remained.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oshry said on the news last night he was leaving. Hopefully more women will fill the seats in October. As for the City of Champions sign, it was a stupid suggestion to change it. If that was going to be his political legacy, he might have thought about something more substantial, whatever that means.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Michael Oshry will not seek re-election: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ek-re-election

Good.
    Reading the comments in the article he seems pretty reviled. But I don't recall a more unlikable council than the one we have now. We've had some bad ones but its harder and harder to see any good candidates. Civic politics always seems so impugned with poor quality or one issue type candidates leading to councils tugging every which way and limited cohesion.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Continued Contributor

Why is it that terms like "poor quality" seem to get thrown about so easily about those on council? In general there seems to be a significant lack of respect for this role by many in this city, and this may be the reason that those of "poor quality" run.

Also, equating likability to quality is extremely tenuous.

We have exactly the council we deserve until we change our ideas about what the council and councilors should be.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcrude View Post
    Why is it that terms like "poor quality" seem to get thrown about so easily about those on council? In general there seems to be a significant lack of respect for this role by many in this city, and this may be the reason that those of "poor quality" run.

Also, equating likability to quality is extremely tenuous.

We have exactly the council we deserve until we change our ideas about what the council and councilors should be.
    Errant choice of term. Revise it to one issue candidates with limited prior experience in civic matters and politics. In present day, at Civic and provincial level we have so few Politicians that actually seem to have that as their established vocation. Theres both good and bad with that. But as many have commented the plethora of people running for council oft seems more about "just getting a job" than having it as a chosen path or profession. In my ward we had 30 candidates in the last civic election. The vast majority were not suited for public office to put it charitably. We're even increasingly seeing political office as entry level job. Something it was never suited for. There should be incumbent experience, and work experience.

As for likeability that's a misread on what I wrote. In the context I used it "liked" was in lieu of what the councillors had done. In this instance with the lasting impression that Oshry will only be remembered (and poorly) for the Champions sign. I don't subscribe to that view, but that's the seeming majority view.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"