Thread: Rona Aambose resigns as an MP

C2E SME

Default Rona Aambose resigns as an MP

Ambrose is leaving Federal politics. I'd be willing to put money on her coming back to Alberta to lead the merged WR/PC party. Interesting times.

^coming back to defend the province from Jason Kenney

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Ambrose is leaving Federal politics. I'd be willing to put money on her coming back to Alberta to lead the merged WR/PC party. Interesting times.

She's done a great job against Trudeau. Plus she's well liked. With her as interim leader, they have raised more money than Tatar tot!

Hey the Conservatives could run commercials for that - "She didn't come back for you ... she came back to save Alberta from Kenney".

I think the Conservative elite has finally come to realize Kenney is a a bit of a non starter, not progressive enough to attract enough PC voters and not popular enough to dislodge Wildrose or its leader.

At some point soon the media will start to wonder publicly how those unite the right talks that were supposedly "so close" to being done and were supposed to be done a few weeks ago are going and it will start to become apparent that Unite the Right - Take 2 has failed.

I suppose sometime in the summer or fall, they will try persuade Rona Ambrose to become Unite the Right - Take 3. However, it becomes a bit messier if Kenney doesn't want to leave the PC leadership and Jean doesn't want to leave Wildrose's. What party will Rona actually lead? The only party without a leader right now is the Alberta Liberals. I think the deadline for signing up for that one has already passed and some former PC's have already beat her to it.

Hmm.

I liked her as opposition leader, but she will have to build up a public resume of actually being for something. Up until now she's been a harper follower who didn't visibly champion much, and a oppose who opposed. It takes more to be a real leader but I'm willing to see what she's got.
    There can only be one.

The Federal PCs will really have to hate the Alberta PCs to parachute Ambrose into an already divided right wing with only 2 years before another provincial election.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

I doubt that the Fed's are "parachuting" her in. I would be willing to bet that Kenney and Jean have more or less worked things out for the merger/dissolution of their parties, and agreed that neither would run for the leadership of the new one. So they need someone with a high profile to take on Notley. Even better if it's a woman, no math is hard slip ups to be had. Hence why Ambrose is quitting Federal politics. I mean, I could be wrong, but the timing is pretty damn convenient.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I saw some online speculation that she could be running for Mayor in either Calgary or Edmonton, probably the former since she pretty much lives there now with her oil exec fiance. But yeah, the PC/WR party would make sense.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I doubt that the Fed's are "parachuting" her in. I would be willing to bet that Kenney and Jean have more or less worked things out for the merger/dissolution of their parties, and agreed that neither would run for the leadership of the new one. So they need someone with a high profile to take on Notley. Even better if it's a woman, no math is hard slip ups to be had. Hence why Ambrose is quitting Federal politics. I mean, I could be wrong, but the timing is pretty damn convenient.
    It is damn convenient but it seems to be to be a stretch that with all the hooha about reuniting, with one party that's already been tricked into joining the other side once before, that either leader would declare some kind of detente and give way to another leader that's really only had political connections with her own riding. And is an ex-federal Tory like the last two guys that came in to save things. With only a year to get things together to be able to run an election campaign.

She's going to Washington, apparently. Not sure what for exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Hmm.

I liked her as opposition leader, but she will have to build up a public resume of actually being for something. Up until now she's been a harper follower who didn't visibly champion much, and a oppose who opposed. It takes more to be a real leader but I'm willing to see what she's got.

She's taking time off, going to Calgary with her partner. I don't think she's running for anything else.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    She's going to Washington, apparently. Not sure what for exactly.
    She's joining a think tank
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-wilson-center
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Whelp, I'll stay away from political predictions going forward!

Ambrose is simply bailing out of federal politics before the next clown is chosen as the new Conservative party leader.

How can she support and take directions from someone who is less qualified than herself? (Granted, she is also a light weight politician)

She has done amazingly well as interim leader. Wish her all the best. I wouldn't be surprised to see her return one day, perhaps as Alberta Premier.

Top_Dawg always figgered ol' Ambrose is gearing up to be the next federal PC leader.

When they might actually stand a decent chance of winning an election.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    She has done amazingly well as interim leader. Wish her all the best. I wouldn't be surprised to see her return one day, perhaps as Alberta Premier.
    I'd love that!

she's toxic for the party and it's re branding . she had to go

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    she's toxic for the party and it's re branding . she had to go
    What rubbish!

Rona has been appointed to the TransAlta board
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rona...oard-1.4203581

Who can fix the "Aambose" in the thread title?