Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wildrose and PC merger talk

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I'd like to see the governments, federal and provincial, build a building with an appropriate number of plain, studio apartments. Small kitchen, murphy bed/living room, bathroom, stacked washer/dryer. All MP/MLAs could stay there when they're in town for the legislature. If they don't want to, they're free to rent a place out of their own pocket. be a quick end to the Fildebrandts & Duffys. As soon as their business in the capital is done, off they go. No maid service while they're there. Just a small staff to clean up once they're gone. The rest of the time they're responsible for cleaning, laundry, food, etc.
    And MLA's housing expenses keep going on? We get another Alison Redford Taj Mahal? MLA's in session should stay in Hotels when they are in session, then they can apply their Hotel visits as a business expense.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I think it's a pretty good idea, actually. kkozoriz specifically mentioned that they should be be basic units, not a Redford Skypalace.

Heck, rent them out when the Leg isn't in session. Tourists can subsidize the MLA units instead of taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I'd like to see the governments, federal and provincial, build a building with an appropriate number of plain, studio apartments. Small kitchen, murphy bed/living room, bathroom, stacked washer/dryer. All MP/MLAs could stay there when they're in town for the legislature. If they don't want to, they're free to rent a place out of their own pocket. be a quick end to the Fildebrandts & Duffys. As soon as their business in the capital is done, off they go. No maid service while they're there. Just a small staff to clean up once they're gone. The rest of the time they're responsible for cleaning, laundry, food, etc.
    And MLA's housing expenses keep going on? We get another Alison Redford Taj Mahal? MLA's in session should stay in Hotels when they are in session, then they can apply their Hotel visits as a business expense.
    It is an idea worth considering. Perhaps no need to build something new, there are already some modest apartment buildings close to the legislature that might work well.

Hotels are fairly expensive on a per night basis, but given MLA's are not in Edmonton for most of the year the cost may work out to be around the same as an apartment. However, I expect not all MLA's will be around for the exact same number of days - the backbench MLA with no additional responsibilities may be in Edmonton for only the minimum number of days, a cabinet minister or a more senior member of the opposition with additional responsibilities may have to be here much longer.

They could be (partially) furnished using the surplus goods from offices
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

The other thing about Hotel's for MLA's they can get room service and even double occupancy if they have significant others. Plus it cuts out the accommodation subsidy, which could save tax payers a lt of $

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The specific lodgings for MLA's is a concept that HAS been done before but whether its MP's or MLA's the incumbents find that kind of provision less than ideal. Imagine working and living in the same buildings or accommodations as some colleagues. People like to have the choice of accommodation, which is reasonable. What is not reasonable is the excessive cost and the idea that one needs to find permanent lodgings. These should invariably be rentals. Also almost any MLA commutes home for weekends and so again we're only talking 4night/week need for accommodation and then only when the govt is sitting or when the MLA's have official business situated outside their own ridings.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Which is why they'd be free to pay out of their own pocket if they want to stay someplace more upscale. If you're working in Fort Mac and you don't want to stay in one of the work camps, your employer isn't going to pay for a larger/nicer place for you.

And no, it wouldn't be in addition to the housing allowance. The allowance would go away. Stay in one of the government units or pay for your own.

The other thing about Hotel's for MLA's they can get room service and even double occupancy if they have significant others. Plus it cuts out the accommodation subsidy, which could save tax payers a lt of $
    Hotels would cost more per night and with my idea, they wouldn't need room service. The apartments would have kitchens included. No reason for the government to pay for room service if they can cook just like if they were at home.

Want to go out to eat and it's not work related? Open your wallet and pay for it yourself.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 14-08-2017 at 09:39 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Which is why they'd be free to pay out of their own pocket if they want to stay someplace more upscale. If you're working in Fort Mac and you don't want to stay in one of the work camps, your employer isn't going to pay for a larger/nicer place for you.

And no, it wouldn't be in addition to the housing allowance. The allowance would go away. Stay in one of the government units or pay for your own.

Hotels would cost more per night and with my idea, they wouldn't need room service. The apartments would have kitchens included. No reason for the government to pay for room service if they can cook just like if they were at home.

Want to go out to eat and it's not work related? Open your wallet and pay for it yourself.
    Those kind of platitudes are fine excepting that public office is already not an attractive option for most people and especially in a province where essentially unskilled people have made over 100K/yr with very little responsibilities out in Fort Mc.

Lets remind ourselves that WINNING an election SHOULD have some awards to it as befits the privilege as surely in present day a lot of what unfolds in public office is toxic, unpalatable, and a job that already steers most away from it. Consider as well that politics has many individuals that lose for each individual that gets elected and all of whom have donated considerable time. So that there ought to be some rewards.

In the end, and to an extent, we get govt we pay for.

I want some form of reason in expense claims but I'm not expecting them to line up in work camp accommodation..

In anycase this should all translate to per diem. But as I stated that should be for 4 nights per week on a five day work week given that all the MLA's travel home on weekends anyhow.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

And now it's been reported that Fildebrandt was double-dipping on meal expenses as well:

Alberta Party Leader Greg Clark wants embattled UCP MLA Derek Fildebrandt to explain nine instances where he appeared to expense restaurant meals on days he also claimed a daily meal allowance.

Alberta MLAs are permitted to claim meal expenses at "per diem" rates when they travel to locations 60 kilometres or more from their permanent residences. But they can't also claim the same meals under other expense provisions.

The expenses originally flagged by a Reddit user and picked up by Clark are from May, June and October 2015; February, August, and November 2016; and January, February and April 2017. All expense claims and receipts are posted on the legislative assembly website.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nses-1.4246981

This was their finance critic and a member of the taxpayer's association. Brutal.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He'll get his just desserts.

I couldn't help but make the pun.

Or he's cooked his goose and is stewing in the juices.

jk aside Fildebrandts managing of these issues has been arguably worse than the actions themselves. He's taken a position of above reproach and attempting to minimize the concerns. Pretending they don't exist or not comprehending when we know he does get it. Thus being wrong but never acknowledging it. He hasn't once accurately acknowledged the expressed concern of double dipping. He's attempted to misword it into many other things in an attempt to make the concern go away. He's only amplifying it. A few Wildrosers be dancing that this joker is out of the deck now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Those kind of platitudes are fine excepting that public office is already not an attractive option for most people and especially in a province where essentially unskilled people have made over 100K/yr with very little responsibilities out in Fort Mc.

Lets remind ourselves that WINNING an election SHOULD have some awards to it as befits the privilege as surely in present day a lot of what unfolds in public office is toxic, unpalatable, and a job that already steers most away from it. Consider as well that politics has many individuals that lose for each individual that gets elected and all of whom have donated considerable time. So that there ought to be some rewards.

In the end, and to an extent, we get govt we pay for.

I want some form of reason in expense claims but I'm not expecting them to line up in work camp accommodation..

In anycase this should all translate to per diem. But as I stated that should be for 4 nights per week on a five day work week given that all the MLA's travel home on weekends anyhow.
    I'm not saying that the accommodations should be like living in a barracks or a work camp. They'd be clean, up to date studio apartments. Their own kitchen. Washer/dryer in each unit. A double/queen bed.

Basically an extended stay hotel room with laundry. And having the government own it, it would cost less that the $150/night a hotel would cost.

Something like this:

Simple, basic and a lot cheaper that $24,000 per year for a large number of the MLAs. As has been said, they can be rented out when the leg is not sitting or they're not in town on government business.

It would put an end to expense claims for the most part. Sure, there'd still be times when they need to stay in a hotel but that's a lot less than when they're in Edmonton for the legislature. You'd also get rinf of the "per diems" for meals for the most part. They'd have kitchens so they don't have to eat out every night.

And if they're not happy, then it comes out of their pocket, not ours.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ That looks just like the sort of thing that I'd like. I live near the Legislative Grounds and am pretty sure nothing like that exists (especially as a rental) in this area. So I assume you're suggesting that it be built from scratch.

On the other hand, the place I live would cost about $13,000 per year for an unfurnished one-bedroom. Quite nice for my tastes though I would prefer en suite laundry and stand up shower.

In other words, it's easier to draft up a fictional floor plan that to actually make something like this actually save money.

He'll get his just desserts.

I couldn't help but make the pun.

Or he's cooked his goose and is stewing in the juices.

jk aside Fildebrandts managing of these issues has been arguably worse than the actions themselves. He's taken a position of above reproach and attempting to minimize the concerns. Pretending they don't exist or not comprehending when we know he does get it. Thus being wrong but never acknowledging it. He hasn't once accurately acknowledged the expressed concern of double dipping. He's attempted to misword it into many other things in an attempt to make the concern go away. He's only amplifying it. A few Wildrosers be dancing that this joker is out of the deck now.
    The worst part is Fildebrandt used to be the head of the Alberta wing for the Canadian Taxpayers association. So he used to hear all of the excuses politicians made when he attacked them over their abuse of expense accounts.

Now that he is an MLA, his excuses for milking the public does not pass the smell test. And his excuses are totally lame compared to the public officials he used to attack. He has lost all credibility.

^^ Eve, when you think of the millions just squandered by governments, a purpose-built structure would, in effect, pay for itself in the longer term. It's more that can some of these entitled brats bring themselves to live in such accommodations.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

KKO, extended stay hotels already exist. No reason to reinvent the wheel and govt bureaucracy. Just adjust the per year amount to reflect a more reasonable per diem amount. The max is just too much. This is Edmonton, not Toronto or Vancouver. An MLA needs about 6mths of lodgings if that. 23K is a huge amount. Just decrease the max to a more reasonable amount, say 15K. At approx. 100nights usage per year that works out to a still workable 150/night allowance.

Man, if there was a hotel govt owned and operated the red tape alone would result in it becoming an expensive property. There wouldn't be savings involved.

Its also unreasonable, and unhealthy, to expect politicians of all stripes to live in the same facility. That would get interesting in a hurry. Especially given present day partisan politics.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-08-2017 at 08:52 AM.

If you wanted to scratch-build MLA accommodation relatively quickly in a Alberta-sourced and environmentally friendly manner, you could build an MLA apartment/dormitory out of recycled shipping containers/sea cans, like the Westgate Suites apartment building, or the Studio 6 motel in Bruderheim. The province should work with the city to expropriate the land from the former Arlington apartments that has sat vacant since the place burnt down, drop in the sea can modules done to a decent specification, give it a nice brick facade, and give us a reborn Arlington apartments, killing many birds with one stone
    Last edited by Ustauk; 15-08-2017 at 08:57 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And the hits keep coming: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nses-1.4248562

Before the courts, innocent until proven guilty, allegedly and all that... but the picture being painted of Fildebrandt as a person is not a pretty one. There are few things I can stand less than people who damage other's property, and who don't own up to it. You have to be a completely self centered piece of garbage to pull that kind of a thing, in my opinion. As Clark said, "ethics is what you do when people aren't watching", or something to that effect. Thankfully, people have been watching Fildebrandt quite closely, and it's looking like his political career is going to get flushed down the toilet over somewhere around 4k worth AirBNB income, double claimed meal expenses, and vehicular damage. Maybe that's fitting, or just that much more ironic, given his background pinching pennies with the CTF.

KKO, extended stay hotels already exist. No reason to reinvent the wheel and govt bureaucracy. Just adjust the per year amount to reflect a more reasonable per diem amount. The max is just too much. This is Edmonton, not Toronto or Vancouver. An MLA needs about 6mths of lodgings if that. 23K is a huge amount. Just decrease the max to a more reasonable amount, say 15K. At approx. 100nights usage per year that works out to a still workable 150/night allowance.

Man, if there was a hotel govt owned and operated the red tape alone would result in it becoming an expensive property. There wouldn't be savings involved.

Its also unreasonable, and unhealthy, to expect politicians of all stripes to live in the same facility. That would get interesting in a hurry. Especially given present day partisan politics.
    Is an extended stay hotel going to guarantee that they'd have rooms available for all MLA's at all times? How convenient would it be to the legislature? When not in use, rent them out via AirBNB or whatever.

And if MLAs of different parties are unable to live next door to each other then they're quite welcome to find alternate accommodations at their expense. Besides, without the cameras on them all the time they'd have no reason to act up.

Derek Fildebrandt resigns from United Conservative Party Caucus. Will stay on as MLA for Strathmore-Brooks

https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/st...61762153189376

Last edited by North Guy66; 15-08-2017 at 10:01 PM.

If Fildebrandt did not resign tonight, I am sure Nathan Cooper would of suspended him or kicked him out of caucus this week.

I wouldn't count on that.

From that well known lefty paper, the Calgary Sun

United Conservative interim leader Nathan Cooper won’t say Derek Fildebrandt did wrong

But does Cooper believe Fildebrandt did something wrong? What does he feel about the choice Fildebrandt made?

“The fact he apologized and agreed to pay the proceeds back is exactly what needed to happen,” says Cooper.

But doesn’t Cooper think it’s important to condemn Fildebrandt’s actions?

All together now. One and a two and a three …

“I think it was important for him to apologize, which he did. I think it was important to pay the money back.”

We get that. We really get that.

But does Cooper think what Fildebrandt did was wrong?

“The public have decided. I don’t think it takes me to say something on whether or not it was right or wrong.”

No, you’re only the interim leader of the party whose banner Fildebrandt carries.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/11...andt-did-wrong

^ That column from Rick Bell was written this past weekend. Cooper's comments were more harsh towards Fildebrandt after the meal-ticket scandal was reported.

Is an extended stay hotel going to guarantee that they'd have rooms available for all MLA's at all times? How convenient would it be to the legislature? When not in use, rent them out via AirBNB or whatever.

And if MLAs of different parties are unable to live next door to each other then they're quite welcome to find alternate accommodations at their expense. Besides, without the cameras on them all the time they'd have no reason to act up.
    Like was said earlier, we don't need another Alison Redford Taj Mahal

There's arguably a lot of hotel rooms available and MLA's of the same/gender party can double up saving even more.

The other option would be to have same party MLA's stay at MLA's that actually live in the city. Narrow things down even more.

Agreed

Who's talking about Taj Mahal type accommodations? I'm talking about simple studio apartments. Not even one bedroom ones.

There's arguably a lot of hotel rooms available and MLA's of the same/gender party can double up saving even more.

Now that's just creepy.

And what about the poor chalupa head who has to bunk with ol' Miranda ?

He'd have to sleep every night with a wine cork twisted into his blowhole and a pie plate over his azz.

Safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Derek Fildebrandt resigns from United Conservative Party Caucus. Will stay on as MLA for Strathmore-Brooks

https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/st...61762153189376

He is a flawed man.

^ And a found-out one, too.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

His constituents are still very much behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    His constituents are still very much behind him.
    They should be careful, as being behind him can be dangerous!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nses-1.4248562

Amy Rawlinson was sitting on the ground floor balcony of her downtown Edmonton condo one morning in June 2016 when she said she saw a neighbour walk out to his red Ford F-150 half-ton truck, back into her company van with a loud bang — and then drive away.
    As Rawlinson would later testify in court, she knew the neighbour from seeing him around the condo but did not know his name. She came to learn it was current United Conservative Party MLA Derek Fildebrandt.
    (Also hilarious that it appears he may have claimed expenses when he was in town for court & not legislature business. Awaiting confirmation on that though.)
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The guy couldn't even organize his own defense in that trial. That says as much about him as anything.

He was just trying to be fiscally conservative & stick to his rural roots by not wasting money on one of those big-city lawyer types.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And wasting court resources due to his incompetence, no less. Very fiscally conservative of him.

Pfft! If the government didn't try and go after a hardworking rural Albertan (flawed as he may be) for such an innocent mistake as backing into someone with his pickup truck & leaving because he had a meeting to get to then the government wouldn't have wasted the resources of a court case at all!

Just big government trying to get its fingers into as many pies as it can!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Now that's just creepy.

He'd have to sleep every night with a wine cork twisted into his blowhole and a pie plate over his azz.

Safety first.
    I get that you're trying to be funny, but joking that "ol' Miranda" would rape someone seems awfully homophobic...

Quote Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Now that's just creepy.

Safety first.
    I get that you're trying to be funny, but joking that "ol' Miranda" would rape someone seems awfully homophobic...
    I take it you're not familiar with Top Dawg's particular brand of "humour".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234