Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wildrose and PC merger talk

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    This government only cares for big government and its self entitled trough feeders
    And there's no bigger trough feeder than your boy Kenney. Your myopia is stunning.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    That's funny, because I feel that almost all legislation they've passed is to help average people. People like you, champ.
    Have to disagree. The carbon tax was a direct attack on my business , my family, our way of life . Primary reason I closed my business .
    Your business must have been on the verge of disaster if that was enough to put it over the edge.
    Yes, the long profitable sale of "Stop the Carbon Tax" posters, advertising and paraphernalia took an unexpected hit.
    Peerly speculation at this point but I'm thinking it's better sitting in cash right now. CAD particularly. Than keeping doors open in Alberta.if it hits a buck , a 25% return on currency just in time when Trump cuts taxes.
    U.S is headed for a mega boom , production / export economy vs consumer .

That's funny, because I feel that almost all legislation they've passed is to help average people. People like you, champ.
    Have to disagree. The carbon tax was a direct attack on my business , my family, our way of life . Primary reason I closed my business .
    Your business must have been on the verge of disaster if that was enough to put it over the edge.
    Yes, the long profitable sale of "Stop the Carbon Tax" posters, advertising and paraphernalia took an unexpected hit.
    Peerly speculation at this point but I'm thinking it's better sitting in cash right now. CAD particularly. Than keeping doors open in Alberta.if it hits a buck , a 25% return on currency just in time when Trump cuts taxes.
    Sounds like a hard prediction of the future to me. Maybe enough factors are in place to weight the probability in favour of being right but I don't see it myself.

However, I hate having all my eggs in one basket because I cant predict the future beyond compiling a ton of likely to remote possibilities . However I can see possible threats and possible opportunities and like to be prepared either way.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I admit that I'd never heard of Nathan Cooper prior to him being selected as the interim leader. But for a party that's supposedly trying to distance itself from the socially conservative, anti-LGBTQ wing of the Wildrose he's a pretty terrible choice. That's nice that his views have "evolved", supposedly. That doesn't change his history of working against LGBTQ rights, which the UCP should well have known made him an exceptionally bad choice as interim leader. Totally unforced error on their part, which allows the NDP and centrist parties to brand the UCP as being regressive conservatives.

An odd choice and I suppose he will be thoroughly attacked, but I would rather have a province where past views that have been disavowed aren't a big deal, and where a single issue isn't a shibboleth sorting the "Good" from the "Bad", especially when it's in the past.
    There can only be one.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Nathan will only be in until October, everyone is on holidays etc,.no biggie. Go ahead NDP brand him whatever you will, I just dont think at this point it will help :_

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    An odd choice and I suppose he will be thoroughly attacked, but I would rather have a province where past views that have been disavowed aren't a big deal, and where a single issue isn't a shibboleth sorting the "Good" from the "Bad", especially when it's in the past.
    I agree, but only to a certain extent. There are well-grounded concerns about the "grassroots" of this new party being extremely socially conservative and working to roll back hard fought gains. Look at Kenney's comments about GSA's, where kids would be outed against their will. And in Cooper's past he worked for an organization that advocated some abhorrent things, like "conversion" therapy. And his radio program gave a platform to Scott Lively, whose involvement in Uganda's crackdown on homosexuals is absolutely disgusting: http://www.thedailybeast.com/scott-l...ackpot-bigotry

I don't bring it up necessarily to condemn Cooper. If he's changed his despicable views, then great. I bring it up because the UCP damn well should have known better than to pick him as their leader, unless they're either incompetent or they think that kind of history is a-okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I agree, but only to a certain extent. There are well-grounded concerns about the "grassroots" of this new party being extremely socially conservative and working to roll back hard fought gains. Look at Kenney's comments about GSA's, where kids would be outed against their will. And in Cooper's past he worked for an organization that advocated some abhorrent things, like "conversion" therapy. And his radio program gave a platform to Scott Lively, whose involvement in Uganda's crackdown on homosexuals is absolutely disgusting: http://www.thedailybeast.com/scott-l...ackpot-bigotry

I don't bring it up necessarily to condemn Cooper. If he's changed his despicable views, then great. I bring it up because the UCP damn well should have known better than to pick him as their leader, unless they're either incompetent or they think that kind of history is a-okay.
    I am quite sure it is the latter, ie. they think that kind of history is a-okay.

Sounds like a hard prediction of the future to me. Maybe enough factors are in place to weight the probability in favour of being right but I don't see it myself.

However, I hate having all my eggs in one basket because I cant predict the future beyond compiling a ton of likely to remote possibilities . However I can see possible threats and possible opportunities and like to be prepared either way.
    I've always been bullish on Alberta ...for the advantage .

Now that advantage: is gone, and a left wing cesspit of financial debt / ruin is in place . Where the trough feeders build the economy ...my bets are against

Best we got is a consumer economy , where Albertans are most in debt ....terrible for us in manufacturing or producing real goods !
    . The U.S dollar ( manipulated ) is headed for a low,... spuring manufacturing, productivity, low energy prices .
    Last edited by champking; 25-07-2017 at 02:58 PM.

One wild card in the next election is that many former progressives in the former PC party may have left before the unity vote; a group of prominent socially progressive conservatives have decided to throw their weight behind the Alberta Party.

A CBC article on a the Alberta Together PAC

I could see the Alberta Party being the spoiler in the next election, depending if they can elect a charismatic leader. It could either split the vote on the left, or the vote on the right, resulting in a victory for the UCP or the NDP. It'll depend on the mood of the province in the next two years, if the NDP can pull some popular rabbits out of their hats, and whether more younger or older voters come out for the next election. No matter what happens, it will be interesting

^As I posted earlier, I think that's worst case scenario for the NDP. It would basically split the left wing vote, and there simply isn't enough to split. NDP needs those Redford PC members to vote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^As I posted earlier, I think that's worst case scenario for the NDP. It would basically split the left wing vote, and there simply isn't enough to split. NDP needs those Redford PC members to vote for them.
    Then you got voters like me . Who voted anything but PC. Don't like Kenney or Jean . Despise the carbon tax and cash cows . How the 'United ' plays it's policy's be a determining factor .
    Personally I want the swamp drained ! A good 30,000 terminated in the leftist regions of Edmonton . Rid the carbon tax ! End cash cow ( photo radar )

Won't settle for less or voting Nutley !

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    One wild card in the next election is that many former progressives in the former PC party may have left before the unity vote; a group of prominent socially progressive conservatives have decided to throw their weight behind the Alberta Party.

I could see the Alberta Party being the spoiler in the next election, depending if they can elect a charismatic leader. It could either split the vote on the left, or the vote on the right, resulting in a victory for the UCP or the NDP. It'll depend on the mood of the province in the next two years, if the NDP can pull some popular rabbits out of their hats, and whether more younger or older voters come out for the next election. No matter what happens, it will be interesting

Well Top_Dawg figgers that if the merger of the ol' Wildrose and the PCs is called ' Unite the Right ', then this toxic fecal goulash of centrists should be labeled ' Colostomy Bag of Cornholios '.

I'm kind of in the fiscal Conservative/social progressive. Was that the term used?

Apologies to KC lots of posts here. Your not on my ignore. I don't ignore anyone. Its all about keeping the conversation going.

I didn't mind Daniel Smith crossing the floor. She still remained centre right. Its not like she went left or anything.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

^^ Its called the United Conservative Party and I think fracturing the centre right began back there during the Social credit days of yore. I was ok with the WR but luke warm with Brian Jean. Any new centre right party here in Alberta would probably line up with Jim Prentice, who btw supported a carbon tax here in Alberta. Its in his book.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

And in a perfect world, the Liberal party would also finally realize they're totally irrelevant in Alberta's politics and always will be, and join forces with the Red Tories and the Alberta party. Wouldn't that be grand? We could have the UCP on the right, the Alberta Party (or whatever you want to call it) in the middle, and the NDP on the left. Of course, that would make way too much sense for the Liberal Party of Alberta, so they're going to just keep doing their thing and getting one or two MLA's elected with 5-10% of the vote.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    Any new centre right party here in Alberta would probably line up with Jim Prentice, who btw supported a carbon tax here in Alberta. Its in his book.

You may have missed the news:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jim-prentice-plane-crash-killed-1.3804941

I think he means that the party would be in line with Prentice's views, not literally queued up with a corpse.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Me thinks . This next election.... Won't fair well for Edmonton and it's trough feeders . Huge cuts coming for the self entitled , ...who prey on average Albertan's,
    Last edited by champking; 25-07-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Me thinks you failed Grade 9 English Ricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Do you even know what you are talking about? Me thinks you failed Grade 9 English Ricky.
    Drunk Leahey do know Ricky got his grade 10.

So go right with UCP and up the middle with Alberta Together and Left at Albuquerque

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    So go right with UCP and up the middle with Alberta Together and Left at Albuquerque
    That's about right . ...no love lost . For 'we' not in this together .
    You got the ravage left , trying destroy industry , jobs , the economy, that pay for these pork ... then us right wingers who care about money, jobs , free market ...

With out our money the left is doomed !
    Money talks ! and these leftists going broke ! Huge ax coming!

Yes, I think so Moa..

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Yes, I think so Moa..
    It be a vote of Alberta against the trough feeder Edmonton . Who prey on us at our weakest time. Attacking our industry's, way of life.

Thanks for this Marcel. Was not aware of his past or who Nathan Cooper is until he was announced interim leader of the UCP.

It is telling, to me, that they would chose a character with such an awful public record. Like I said this is moving in a farther right direction and I hope it keeps moving there to the point that the Cons and Wild Rose continue to be insignificant, even united.

Anybody but UCP at this point is fine by me.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-07-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Thanks for this Marcel. Was not aware of his past or who Nathan Cooper is until he was announced interim leader of the UCP.

It is telling, to me, that they would chose a character with such an awful public record. Like I said this is moving in a farther right direction and I hope it keeps moving there to the point that the Cons and Wild Rose continue to be insignificant, even united.

Anybody but UCP at this point is fine by me.
    I think it's smart for any party ( if it wants power ) to cater to populous demand . I personally dislike homosexuals wasting my money on parades etc. Nothing against homosexual ...but when it comes to money ! Strong family values! There no sympathetic or cater .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I still think NDP will pull it off again in the next provincial election.
    Very unlikely, as Notely has only 28% support
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...ngus-reid-poll

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    She isn't liked, it was a fluke she got in.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Two years is a long time in politics.

C2E Continued Contributor

Polls mean nothing today. Still lots of time.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

No, you closed your business because you suck at competing or just aren't smart enough to be good at whatever you did. Other businesses picked up your clientele and are profiting nicely. You're a fiscal conservative - that's just basic capitalism there bud, and you lost.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Also not a direct attack. may have had some direct negative effects, but unlike champking who seems to believe that some people deserve to suffer solely for being employed in the public sector, the government isn't trying to hurt anybody.

Champking's petty and vindictive, and he projects that on others.
    There can only be one.

But she's been going the wrong way, down!

Lots of time for what?

With a united right, the NDP will have to gain more votes than BOTH the Wildrose and PCs combined. They will certainly retain some support they found last election, but can they actually do BETTER than they did last time? Remember - Notley had advantages of campaigning against a split right-wing, an unpopular Premier that over half the province was protesting against, and a brand-new unknown Wildrose leader who had to leave the campaign for a month because his son died.

Notley was in the right place at the right time. That time is now up.

[QUOTE=MrOilers;840222]

Lots of time for what?

With a united right, the NDP will have to gain more votes than BOTH the Wildrose and PCs combined. They will certainly retain some support they found last election, but can they actually do BETTER than they did last time? Remember - Notley had advantages of campaigning against a split right-wing, an unpopular Premier that over half the province was protesting against, and a brand-new unknown Wildrose leader who had to leave the campaign for a month because his son died.

Notley was in the right place at the right time. That time is now up.[/QUOTE]
    It sure is! Yay!!!

NDP is done unless the economy rebounds more. And even then, that would only give them a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

Lots of time for what?

But this assumes that a United party (and one prone to splinter, sputter, and argue, and defame each other at that) will result in collecting the unified votes of everybody that supported either party prior.

Excepting that some will see this as a sellout. For me I would NEVER vote for the Wild Rose brand or any incarnation of it. I would abstain from it as one PC MLA has.

The Cons and Wild Rose uniting is ironic as they split apart in the first place. Its largely still the same divisive characters and that only gets magnified with everybody under one umbrella.

The potential is for more left leaning votes to occur. Alberta is shifting towards the left, while the Paleolithic UCP is veering off to the right. Theres a cliff there, I doubt they can spot it.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Deducing Nathan Cooper appointment message;

Him being made interim UCP leader is curious at best.

First of all a look at the character. A guy that looks like the grown up version of what Eddie Munster would look like with or without fangs. This not just a barb, as this guy would grow up being unattractive, not necessarily accepted, and as such would need to adopt homespun rhetoric in order to be popular while growing up in the backwaters, fly over region of Alberta called Olds, Didsbury, Carstairs. So Nathan "grew up" in such areas by getting into politics and being on the Carstairs Town Council (Carstairs pop 4K)

Nathan is 37, claims to have "learned a lot in the last 10years" except that his involvement with Canada Family Action and Family action Radio was most prolific in 2009, just 8 short years ago. At a time when Nathan was near 30.

This is not some youth making flippant and stupid comments as a teen. This is essentially a 30yr old who was PASSIONATE about his polarized and extreme views and enough to politicize about that and to wage further harm through that. Nathan Cooper sought harm to the target groups in 2009. Groups that we are now led to believe he is inclusive about in 2017. That he's changed, although its not clear how. What curious olive branches..

The trouble for Nathan is many pundits will see right through this. Will detect a country figure born and raised in an area known for some extreme regressive views, figure he learned them there, that he learned enough to be so forthright in his claims. To even be a public figure evoking those claims. These are not sidebar comments in social media or a flippant comment in a yearbook. This was Nathan Cooper's passion as a near 30yr old targeting groups he found offensive.

Even if we take Nathan Cooper at word at best he's unstable veering from one political extreme or view to another. Now oddly the selected interim leader of the UCP party. A party chock full of Wilder Roses with extremist views.

This leads me to the final point. How much does UCP care about Urban voters, gay and lesbian voters, or progressives, if they hand pick the ill advised Nathan Cooper as leader. A guy nobody out of Carstairs or two hills, or Didsbury, or Olds even knew much about. With that back story now appearing pretty sordid.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-07-2017 at 01:15 PM.

think he has changed his views.
    I don't hold with his views, but people do change,as I have learnt in our own family. He held these views at 30, how about 80 ( and has changed)
    Hoffman the mouthpiece looked grumpy, can she tell us how healthy she is , being health minister

Lots of time for what?

But this assumes that a United party (and one prone to splinter, sputter, and argue, and defame each other at that) will result in collecting the unified votes of everybody that supported either party prior.

Excepting that some will see this as a sellout. For me I would NEVER vote for the Wild Rose brand or any incarnation of it. I would abstain from it as one PC MLA has.

The Cons and Wild Rose uniting is ironic as they split apart in the first place. Its largely still the same divisive characters and that only gets magnified with everybody under one umbrella.

The potential is for more left leaning votes to occur. Alberta is shifting towards the left, while the Paleolithic UCP is veering off to the right. Theres a cliff there, I doubt they can spot it.
    Alberta is not shifting left, which you will see in the next election. Look at BC, the NDP is in, and who pulls out..smh.

Lots of time for what?

Alberta is not shifting left, which you will see in the next election. Look at BC, the NDP is in, and who pulls out..smh.
    The shift is occurring not just in Alberta. Its occurring around Canada. We have a liberal govt with a smiling placating younger Trudeau. We have multiple NDP parties, we have increased Liberal support across the nation. In recent decades we've seen Con parties shot down in flames federally and provincially and even Alberta where they said it would never happen.

A lot of this is millennial voting weight and its influencing pretty much around the world and not hard to see why;

https://newrepublic.com/article/1432...ls-moving-left

Lots of time for what?

The shift is occurring not just in Alberta. Its occurring around Canada. We have a liberal govt with a smiling placating younger Trudeau. We have multiple NDP parties, we have increased Liberal support across the nation. In recent decades we've seen Con parties shot down in flames federally and provincially and even Alberta where they said it would never happen.

A lot of this is millennial voting weight and its influencing pretty much around the world and not hard to see why;

https://newrepublic.com/article/1432...ls-moving-left

LOL! Okay sure..LOL

I will be completely shocked if the Alberta NDP doesn't crater next election similar to how the Federal NDP did.

Ya'll give too much credit to the public. The public is stupid.

When the economy is in the tank, the public blames whichever government is in power at the time and votes someone else in, regardless of how much any provincial government can shift the economy (which in reality, is very little).

Unless the polling is tighter, predicting an election isn't rocket science. Yet, I'm sure this thread will go on for years with useless drivel.

Is anybody else having as much fun following Alberta politics as Top_Dawg ?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/07/3...in-a-new-party

So this weekend, Big Arse officially enters the UCP leadership race.

Disillusioned Wildrose members meet in Nisku to begin forming Wildrose 2.0.

And the cornholio contingent of the old PCs ( who are really Liberal porkers, only they know they would never get their snouts in the trough under the Liberal banner ) plot to hijack the Alberta Party.

What a dog's breakfast.

Who knows ?

With all these moving pieces, ol' scarecrow could pull off a second term and really drive Alberta to ruin.

Too funny.

I'm having a hard time understanding why Jason Kenny announcing his run for UCP leader has been the Journals online tops story all weekend. It hasn't been news for months.
    There can only be one.

Because PostMedia is trash?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'm having a hard time understanding why Jason Kenny announcing his run for UCP leader has been the Journals online tops story all weekend. It hasn't been news for months.
    I had to second check I wasn't getting a paper from several months ago...oh look, in the weather its 26 below Celsius...in other news the Oilers beat the Sens.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    PostMedia has it's face burried in whatever corporate clinger-on pretend conservative candidate's backside happens to be running. Sadly they're dragging a reputable paper like the Journal into the dumpster fire.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Yep, Ric McIver sitting next to Kenney at the Nisku hoe down. McIver has been past his sell by date for a few years now. What next, Thomas (Roamin Charges)Lakasuk hovering around in the background.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Yep, Ric McIver sitting next to Kenney at the Nisku hoe down. McIver has been past his sell by date for a few years now. What next, Thomas (Roamin Charges)Lakasuk hovering around in the background.
    Oh no - Roameo and Chubby Checker really don't like each other. Didn't Kenney call Lukaszuk a complete and utter a*hole in an e-mail he "accidentally" sent to everyone he knew?

I know it was a while back, but I think this is the link to the story. http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...e-58a0b5c3034a

Good times, right?

^Well a least Kenney got that right.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    PostMedia has it's face burried in whatever corporate clinger-on pretend conservative candidate's backside happens to be running. Sadly they're dragging a reputable paper like the Journal into the dumpster fire.
    The other day I did a double take at reading a prominently featured headline on the Calgary Stamps that got placement preference, and more lines, than the companion piece about the Eskimos next game. But of course the first thing that I shook my head about is why I'm getting feature content on the Calgary Stampeders complete with full long article and big picture. I'm in Edmonton, I hate the Stamps, I don't want to read about them.

Today a doozy. They were talking to the carnys working the K days midway. They said that the operator of the midway and employees now branch 2 different ways. One being to the next setup in Saskatchewan, the other to Milwaukee. The employer was quoted as saying that will be a long 2 hour drive to get to Milwaukee (from Edmonton) Undoubtedly the employee stated 2 days. They wrote 2hr drive in the print article. Edmonton to Milwaukee, 2hr drive, haha, why fly? Proof reading doesn't exist for Postmedia.

Is it just me but is Sarah Hoffman coming off very bitter? A more gracious person would say, good luck, but we will try and beat you next election.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/07/26...-conservatives

Is it just me but is Sarah Hoffman coming off very bitter? A more gracious person would say, good luck, but we will try and beat you next election.
    No, she's a bitter Betty. She always has been though. Maybe she thought the UPC were talking about her, when they said they were going to trim the fat. Hateful Hoffman.

I love when politicians of any affiliation talk about the other side having entitlement. Hate to burst your bubble, but once anyone gets into power, there is going to be entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    I love when politicians of any affiliation talk about the other side having entitlement. Hate to burst your bubble, but once anyone gets into power, there is going to be entitlement.
    But the shoe fits. The NDP didn't jump into bed with an adversary to get into power in this province. Which is exactly what the squabbling WR and Cons did.

In short factions that detested each other enough politically to separate, then got voted out later on, now sitting on the outside figuring that alignment isn't all that bad. This is the definition of a marriage of convenience and its fair game to call them on it. Desperation, and an entitlement to power caused this alignment. As Hoffman mentioned a party that will do anything to try to get elected.

I liked this quote the most;

“They want to create tax breaks for the wealthiest in our society. This is their values.”

Are you really deriving your opinion of an NDP politician based upon a Calgary Sun op-ed?

But the shoe fits. The NDP didn't jump into bed with an adversary to get into power in this province. Which is exactly what the squabbling WR and Cons did.

In short factions that detested each other enough politically to separate, then got voted out later on, now sitting on the outside figuring that alignment isn't all that bad. This is the definition of a marriage of convenience and its fair game to call them on it. Desperation, and an entitlement to power caused this alignment. As Hoffman mentioned a party that will do anything to try to get elected.

I liked this quote the most;

“They want to create tax breaks for the wealthiest in our society. This is their values.”
    Out of province appointments for the NDP make them as complicit as the old club that got ousted. I was simply pointing out that they are all greasy. Employing non-Albertans without any due process during a time of economic crisis isn't any better than what the previous party did. I'm just painting them all with the same brush. Sure, PC's/cons give breaks for the wealthy, but the NDP as a whole (ideology wise) help their friends.

^In general I don't disagree with the notion of political entitlement and indeed its part of a problem necessitating that there be set limits for leaders in power. Albeit that occurs more in federal jurisdictions. Power corrupts. This is a known. But it generally takes some time for that to occur. THIS NDP govt is one of the least experienced govts you're ever going to see. These are not career politicians for the most part in the first place. So just thought that applying the brush in this case didn't make a lot of sense. This Govt is the least reminiscent of the entitlement you invoke. Albeit if you wanted to target Notley herself being a born and raised politician that's fair game in isolation.

^In general I don't disagree with the notion of political entitlement and indeed its part of a problem necessitating that there be set limits for leaders in power. Albeit that occurs more in federal jurisdictions. Power corrupts. This is a known. But it generally takes some time for that to occur. THIS NDP govt is one of the least experienced govts you're ever going to see. These are not career politicians for the most part in the first place. So just thought that applying the brush in this case didn't make a lot of sense. This Govt is the least reminiscent of the entitlement you invoke. Albeit if you wanted to target Notley herself being a born and raised politician that's fair game in isolation.
    Someone could make a list if you truly wanted to see the entitlement. Just because you're not aware of it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I voted NDP last election, but it doesn't mean I blindly support them either. You're right, they are green in terms of experience, but there were plenty of white collar folks in Calgary that they could have called before people from elsewhere in Canada.
    Last edited by Moodib; 04-08-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Someone could make a list if you truly wanted to see the entitlement. Just because you're not aware of it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I voted NDP last election, but it doesn't mean I blindly support them either.
    Same here, but with the proviso that they get more leash than the dread alternative of a party that seems an even wilder rose with Nathan Cooper appointed interim leader. I have to wonder as well if that was a fishing expedition. The UCP testing for echo with how far they can go on right wing agendas and using that to see if theres any considerable opposition to their more extreme views. That part does worry me.

Oh it's probably just all the bitterness from the UPC being reflected back to towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Oh it's probably just all the bitterness from the UPC being reflected back to towards them.
    How can you tell, ms chubby cheeks always has a pout on, even before UPC..☺

Nope Noodle, I heard her quote on CHED, and the Sun article was the first one that I could find for a source.

^^ Meeowwww.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Hiring a blimp for a mascot sure didn't help the NDP any either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Hiring a blimp for a mascot sure didn't help the NDP any either.
    Glad to see you're focused on the important issues.

A few days old and somebody might have posted this (not very likely in this pro NDP board) but if an election were called today the UPC would win a majority

http://globalnews.ca/news/3638415/un...ld-today-poll/

We have another 2 years.

^ if the UCP won, they can't improve anything anyway? Can they increase the price of oil? Can they get rid of carbon tax? What's their plan to diversify the economy? They're all talk. No substance.

If this is a pro NDP board, why don't you go find yourself a pro UCP board?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

^ if the UCP won, they can't improve anything anyway? Can they increase the price of oil? Can they get rid of carbon tax? What's their plan to diversify the economy? They're all talk. No substance.

Kind of like 'If you do not think like our little group on here then get lost'. Seen too much of this.

Its not rocket science, lower government spending by about 25% (to bring into line with B.C., where government service levels are every bit as good as Alberta), reduce / eliminate red tape (like the carbon tax), restore the flat Alberta personal tax (to encourage talent back to the province / reward people who set up companies and business instead of penalizing them). With a lower or eliminated deficit (a high deficit means high future tax, which scares business away), and a business friendly province which isn't trying to force everyone into green energy, the investment will roar back.
    Last edited by moahunter; 06-08-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Its not rocket science, lower government spending by about 25% (to bring into line with B.C., where government service levels are every bit as good as Alberta), reduce / eliminate red tape (like the carbon tax), restore the flat Alberta personal tax (to encourage talent back to the province / reward people who set up companies and business instead of penalizing them). With a lower or eliminated deficit (a high deficit means high future tax, which scares business away), and a business friendly province which isn't trying to force everyone into green energy, the investment will roar back.
    It is rocket science to Bill!

UPC can rollback Bill 6, for one thing. Even Jim Prentice was in favour of a carbon tax (its in his book) UPC just formed a party so its too early to tell. UPC is barely a week old.

The NDP refuse to divulge cost of carbon tax administration to the CFIB The NDP government released a heavily redacted documents obtained through Freedom of Information that clearly shows the Alberta government knows the annual cost to the province’s taxpayers of administering the carbon tax, but is refusing the disclose any details.
    See more here http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/arti...istration.html

What are you hiding Rachel Notley?

Rachel you have some splaining to do.

Finance critic Derek Fildebrandt rents downtown digs on Airbnb while claiming housing allowance

A United Conservative Party MLA says there’s nothing wrong with him subletting his downtown Edmonton apartment while claiming thousands of dollars in rent from the public purse.

Derek Fildebrandt, MLA for Strathmore-Brooks, advertises his downtown bachelor suite for rent online as “newly renovated, modernly furnished and very well-kept.”

“It has a sweeping view of the city and is in the thick of the action on Jasper Ave.,” the Airbnb listing says.

Between January and March, eight Airbnb renters reviewed the apartment. Over the same three months, Fildebrandt claimed $7,720 for accommodation in Edmonton.

Fildebrandt denies he’s double-dipping by renting out the same apartment for which he claims an allowance on the taxpayers’ dime.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...sing-allowance
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Hmm, WTG Notley and co. Refuse? Someone will find out!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Finance critic Derek Fildebrandt rents downtown digs on Airbnb while claiming housing allowance
    Nice. He got caught double dipping, essentially. Which is rich, given his CTF background. From the article:

Members of the Legislative Assembly from outside the capital region are entitled to a maximum of $23,160 in a fiscal year to own or lease a property in Edmonton, or $193 per night for a hotel while in the city on official business.That cash can go toward accommodation expenses like rent, utilities and parking, but the rules explicitly state that MLAs are only entitled to the actual costs incurred.
    Pretty cut and dried. If he was claiming for all of his rent as an expense, and not calculating it net of AirBNB rental income, he was enriching himself at taxpayer expense. And it looks like he was claiming darn near the maximum amount, too. Oh the irony.

But quick! Blame Brian Jean!

Top_Dawg loves it when this naked hypocrisy hits the fan.

This is nothing more than a smear campaign by that leftist rag edmonton journal. This man says what he wants and I bet he gets reelected. 2019 can't arrive soon enough, then we get to throw out stupid leftist government!
    Stop illegal aliens! Enforce the LAW!

C2E Posting Power

Can you please keep your partisan ******** out of Albertan politics? Left or Right should be irrelevant for something like this, no true Albertan should be Ok with a politician profiting off the taxpayer like this (if it is true).

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    This is nothing more than a smear campaign by that leftist rag edmonton journal.
    Yep, left-wing conspiracy all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Nice. He got caught double dipping, essentially. Which is rich, given his CTF background. From the article:

Members of the Legislative Assembly from outside the capital region are entitled to a maximum of $23,160 in a fiscal year to own or lease a property in Edmonton, or $193 per night for a hotel while in the city on official business.That cash can go toward accommodation expenses like rent, utilities and parking, but the rules explicitly state that MLAs are only entitled to the actual costs incurred.
    Pretty cut and dried. If he was claiming for all of his rent as an expense, and not calculating it net of AirBNB rental income, he was enriching himself at taxpayer expense. And it looks like he was claiming darn near the maximum amount, too. Oh the irony.

But quick! Blame Brian Jean!
    No need, both Jean and Kenney are looking into it. I cant say I haven't heard this over and over..my goodness, but Notley and gang, refusing/redact not a word,

^ Maybe Jean and King Porker Kenney are seeing if they can get a few tips from their buddy.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ Maybe Jean and King Porker Kenney are seeing if they can get a few tips from their buddy.
    Just look at the sneaky NDP for tips, hiding their spending! Tsk tsk!

The Beaverton is reporting that Derek Fildebrandt has taken the next, logical step.

Alberta MLA lists legislature office on Airbnb

EDMONTON – United Conservative Party MLA Derek Fildebrandt has posted his Legislative office on the short-term lodging website Airbnb a day after admitting to double-dipping on his government subsidized condo in Edmonton.

For $110/night, visitors can stay in his 5th floor office at 10800 97 Ave NW, also known as the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.

“This is all [just a normal] part of the sharing-government-expenses economy,” said the UCP member representing Strathmore-Brooks. “This smear campaign against how I make money off of the people of Alberta is distracting us from the real issues.”

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/08...office-airbnb/
    For the humor impaired (i.e. UCP supporters), the Beaverton is a satire site. But feel free to scream "fake news" at the top of your lungs while supporting him.

^ No, no. The Hypocrisy Lady has been bit in the putz by humour many times. No doubt it'll be recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    ^ No, no. The Hypocrisy Lady has been bit in the putz by humour many times. No doubt it'll be recognized.
    Always here with a laugh,not. Flick!

Its not like he was offering a room for "girlfriend services" or anything.

I think its deplorable that active political figures get housing subsidies as it is. Fildebrandt might have thought Airbnb sounded above board, which is why he thought he could get away with it.

They get sooo much as it is compared to us commoners. Then gotta rip off more. Fuqing douchbag. He should be given the boot. "You're fired". Wish it was that easy.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-08-2017 at 07:41 AM.

^I agree, he should get the boot.

^^ the accommodation allowance does make sense, I mean, if your job required you to work part of the year in another city, you would expect the cost covered wouldn't you?

I'd claim that on my income tax.

CTC Colin Craig:

Quote on: the CTF actually identified the issue with MLA expense back in 2012, but nothing has been done about it since then. He added that the Airbnb is a new part of the same old story, but MLAs had a history of using their living allowances to purchase entire homes. Quote off

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/fildebrand...face-1.3539827

Craig was referring to MLA's not specific to any party.

Underline is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Just look at the sneaky NDP for tips, hiding their spending! Tsk tsk!
    Maybe these two subjects should be split into two new threads.

Quoting one loosely related subject and then dragging back the original concern, and vise versa is like covering ones' ears and repeating their own complaint. (Or like the pro-Clintonites always saying, don't look at how bad she is, look at how bad Trump is, and the Trumpers continually reintroducing Clinton to the discussion long after her defeat).

It's as if people believe two crappy parties can coexist in their loyal-beyond-all-reason reality.

^I agree, he should get the boot.

^^ the accommodation allowance does make sense, I mean, if your job required you to work part of the year in another city, you would expect the cost covered wouldn't you?
    I think he knew what he was doing was wrong, he's like so many others. They simply think they won't get caught, or they are above the law. Jason had a great [email protected] on FB , very informative..

The point that Colin Craig was making is Many MLA's basically are corrupt in this capacity. They take the housing allowance and buy a house and sell it after they're done politics get a nice chunk of change at the end and a pension after 1 term. Sweet deal. I wonder what the last crop of NDP MLA's did with their housing allowance? Lets see some real transparency here.

I'd like to see the governments, federal and provincial, build a building with an appropriate number of plain, studio apartments. Small kitchen, murphy bed/living room, bathroom, stacked washer/dryer. All MP/MLAs could stay there when they're in town for the legislature. If they don't want to, they're free to rent a place out of their own pocket. be a quick end to the Fildebrandts & Duffys. As soon as their business in the capital is done, off they go. No maid service while they're there. Just a small staff to clean up once they're gone. The rest of the time they're responsible for cleaning, laundry, food, etc.

I love that the complete list of who is claiming what was published. It leads to some interesting contrasts. For instance how Oneil Carlier, of Whitecourt St. Anne claims hardly anything and commutes (thank you) and only claimed overnights if the govt sat for 12hr days, whereas Bruce Hinkley, from Wetaskiwin/Camrose claims the largest possible amount.

Lets put this into perspective. There is no difference whatsoever between these two in commute possibility. Yet one chooses to commute and save taxpayers expense and the other ponies up to the trough and grabs the whole amount. 23,160 for a work trip that most people would have no difficulty commuting. In any case HOW on earth is the full amount being claimed and why a RESIDENCE vs simply a hotel room the few times its required? Even if for some reason the person could not commute each day we're still talking only M T W T accommodation. 4 nights a week. For the amount the govt sits the MLA could have had lodging at the most expensive hotels in Edmonton for what he charged.

One other MLA from Calgary, David Swann, also appears to have made a stand on towing the line on expenses here. His claim is very low. It appears that regardless of party stripes most of our MLA's just consider this expense claim another feeding trough. Even the newly minted NDP incumbents.

^^ Like!
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast