Thread: Foreign influence in Canada's election

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Default Foreign influence in Canada's election

Hmmm....I wonder how much play this will receive here...

In the US, this is grounds for impeachment (allegedly).

Here, the allegations will probably just fall off the radar.

Millions in foreign funds spent in 2015 federal election to defeat Harper government, report alleges

Foreign money funnelled towards Canadian political advocacy groups affected the outcome of the 2015 federal election, according to a document filed last week with Elections Canada and obtained in part by the Calgary Herald.
    The 36-page report entitled: Elections Canada Complaint Regarding Foreign Influence in the 2015 Canadian Election, alleges third parties worked with each other, which may have bypassed election spending limits — all of which appears to be in contravention of the Canada Elections Act.
    The Canada Elections Act states that “a third party shall not circumvent, or attempt to circumvent, a limit set out . . . in any manner, including by splitting itself into two or more third parties for the purpose of circumventing the limit or acting in collusion with another third party so that their combined election advertising expenses exceed the limit.”
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...cid=spartanntp
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

^Sounds mostly like a loophole was exploited re: 6 month limit for fundraising disclosure, but breaking the spirit of the law for sure.

No suggestion that any actual candidates or their advisors were involved, and the meddling was primarily polling and encouraging strategic voting based on their polling. Less nefarious than what allegedly happened in the US. Whatever that is this week.
    There can only be one.

Keep in mind it's not an Elections Canada report, but the report submitted with the complaint made by an ousted Conservative.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^ we get it, they are left wing groups (that just happened to be backed by rich Liberal elitist families with industrial goals in contradiction to Canada), so its all good... If it was a conservative think tank that had funded Harper from the US, you would be calling it a rigged election (if Harper had won).
    Last edited by moahunter; 24-05-2017 at 09:02 AM.

No, I'd be waiting for the report from any investigations, just like I will be here. Taking the word of the claimant at face value immediately is foolish. That's why we have a process for these things. I was merely commenting on the fact that this story is at the beginning, not the end, of the process.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Well I'm thinking no amount of foreign money is going to influence Tater Tot's chances in the next election. He has no chance of winning as he is about as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Hahahaha.

The federal Liberals widened their lead over the opposition Conservatives to 16 percentage points as of last week, winning the support of 43 per cent of those who participated in an online poll and were not undecided.Twenty-seven per cent said they would vote Conservative if an election were held the next day, while 19 per cent said they would vote for the NDP. Seven per cent said they would vote Green, three per cent for the Bloc Québécois, and about one per cent for another party. The poll was conducted between May 9 and 13.
    Majority approve of Trudeau

Fifty-three per cent of respondents said they approved of the job Mr. Trudeau was doing as prime minister, while 33 per cent said they did not approve, and 14 per cent said they did not know.
    Outgoing interim Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose (Sturgeon River-Parkland, Alta.) and NDP interim leader Thomas Mulcair (Outremont, Que.) both received more votes of approval than disapproval from those polled, but in both cases even more respondents—51 and 43 per cent, respectively—signalled that they did not know whether those leaders were doing a good job.
    The approval rate for all three leaders rose slightly since April: up five points for Mr. Trudeau, up three points, to 28 per cent, for Ms. Ambrose, and up one point, to 33 per cent, for Mr. Mulcair.
    http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/05/19/...ly-poll/107548

Emphases mine.
    Last edited by noodle; 24-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.

The only thing that matters is the result of the election.

If you're not happy with it, you will whine like the ungelded sore little cowardly weaklings you are.

If you're happy with it, you will gloat like the corrupt disgusting power-worshipping creeps you are.

Those two human types are the only two types present in any system where undeserving people -- all of you -- are allowed to cast ballots.

That's the important thing.

All else, first of all foreign interference, is just noise designed to keep you unhappy.

There is nothing else to say.

^ Yeah, well you having nothing else to say works for me. .

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Well I'm thinking no amount of foreign money is going to influence Tater Tot's chances in the next election. He has no chance of winning as he is about as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike.
    Want to bet?

I'd rather C2E than work!

^Gemini has a very hard time reading the political climate.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

^Cloudy - with a Chance of Meatballs.
    Last edited by Gemini; 27-05-2017 at 10:22 PM.