Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,500 of 1504

Thread: Trump on immigration, big beautiful walls, etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Trump's family came from Germany and Scotland. Where do you get Scandinavia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Donald_Trump

I think this explains it

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/d...-a-lie-2016-8/

The whole Trump family is a lie

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Deleted
    Last edited by KC; 19-12-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Trump's failure to sign the government funding bill over his demands for his wall funding, makes the US less safe than if he signs it.

The first effect of the Trump shutdown is that border security agents will be forced to work without pay, over Christmas and into the new year.

Explained: What does a partial shutdown of the U.S. government mean?
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4783611/u...own-explained/
    According to a report by Democrats on the Senate Appropriations Committee, more than 420,000 federal employees deemed essential would continue to work without pay during a partial shutdown, including about 41,000 law enforcement and corrections officers and nearly 150,000 Homeland Security employees. Those working without pay — three days before Christmas — would include about 53,000 TSA workers, 54,000 Customs and Border Protection agents and officers and 42,000 Coast Guard employees.
    Funny Fact:
    The Republicans control both Houses and the Presidency but failed to keep the government funded.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 21-12-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

They work for pay. They just get their cheque later. Who gets paid each day for the work they did that day anyway? Itís usually every two weeks that you receive the pay. So in a way it is a false statement.

Tell that to your mortgage company and your credit card company. These people may not get paid for weeks or months.

Most people cannot afford missing a single paycheque, let alone several.

Trump is the Grinch who stole Christmas

Trump promises shutdown would last 'a very long time' if Senate rejects bill
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-...down-1.4955559

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 21-12-2018 at 10:59 AM.

If their payday falls during the shutdown period, there's nobody working to cut the cheques, neither paper nor direct deposit.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    If their payday falls during the shutdown period, there's nobody working to cut the cheques, neither paper nor direct deposit.
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ment-shutdown/

Employees that are sent home from work, are typically paid for those days once the 'shut down' is over. Not a bad deal !

My understanding is that a lot of the people that worked for Trump in the past, never ever got paid. Moreover government employees have a well earned reputation for brown bagging their lunches* so missing a few paycheques shouldn’t be a big deal for most of them.

*When there was talk of spreading employees around downtown Edmonton, I recall hearing pushback from the private sector restaurant owners that they’d lose business if cost conscious government employees moved in near them.

If this all leads to a wall it will be worth it. I used to laugh at the idea but watching the news and border patrol shows I can see it would be nice to have a controlled border. Donít worry it will still have all the access for legal crossings. Just my opinion.

Trump states today that he knows more about wall and border tech than anyone.

He also knows more about ISIS than General Matt and anyone who might replace him.

and at least 19 more...

19 things Donald Trump knows better than anyone else, according to Donald Trump
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.663aa9325cbd

Such a very stable genius need no information or advice from anyone. He can run the entire government himself.

They should have made him President of Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    If this all leads to a wall it will be worth it. I used to laugh at the idea but watching the news and border patrol shows I can see it would be nice to have a controlled border. Donít worry it will still have all the access for legal crossings. Just my opinion.
    We should build one along the 49th and get the states to pay for it.

Trump is off his meds this morning.

He is lashing out and claiming to have executive powers that he does not possess.

Trump threatens to close southern border, ‘go back to pre-NAFTA’ without wall funding
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4798424/t...-mexico-nafta/
    Donald J. [email protected]
    We will be forced to close the Southern Border entirely if the Obstructionist Democrats do not give us the money to finish the Wall & also change the ridiculous immigration laws that our Country is saddled with. Hard to believe there was a Congress & President who would approve!

...The United States looses soooo much money on Trade with Mexico under NAFTA, over 75 Billion Dollars a year (not including Drug Money which would be many times that amount), that I would consider closing the Southern Border a “profit making operation.” We build a Wall or.....

.....close the Southern Border. Bring our car industry back into the United States where it belongs. Go back to pre-NAFTA, before so many of our companies and jobs were so foolishly sent to Mexico. Either we build (finish) the Wall or we close the Border......
    remember who owns the shutdown...

Trump is such an excellent negotiator, only the best deals. He buys a hole in the ground and then when he realizes that he is in a hole, his solution is to dig faster and deeper.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 28-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.

His followers are going to love him for saying this.
    Last edited by KC; 28-12-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Trump responds to reporters' questions about his concerns for government employees who could be off work for months, who have rent to pay, medical bills and need to buy food.

He told them, "let them eat wall..."

Marie Antoinette would be so proud.

Increasing prices for Americans on goods from Mexico is NOT "Mexico will pay for the wall". It is a tax on the American people.

No, Mexico isn't paying for border wall through USMCA trade deal, despite Donald Trump's claims
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...all-despite-d/
    The question here is: Is Mexico paying for the wall through a renegotiated trade deal, as Trump claimed?

No, trade experts say.

There are a couple of immediate problems with Trump’s statement.

First, the renegotiated North American Free Trade Agreement is not in effect yet. Trump rebranded the updated NAFTA as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), but it still needs congressional approval.

And the deal, literally, does not include any language saying Mexico will pay the United States for the wall.

In addition, U.S.-Mexico trade has been duty free for more than a decade, and the renegotiated trade deal does not add new tariffs on goods coming from Mexico to the United States, said Lori Wallach, director at Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch.

"I do not see any scenario under which the U.S. government gets more money from Mexico per se — and even if the U.S. tariffs had been raised, that would be paid by Mexican importers not the Mexican government," Wallach said.

Trump’s claim that wall costs will be covered through trade isn’t new. But it is wrong.
    Back on the campaign trail, Trump claimed that Mexico can afford to build a wall because the country's trade deficit with America is billions of dollars. We rated that False as trade experts said there is no connection between the size of the trade deficit and finding money to build the wall. The trade deficit is based mostly on trading and investment by private individuals and companies — not the government itself, an expert then told us.

Trump’s latest claim hinges on changes negotiated for NAFTA by the three parties involved in the trade agreement — the United States, Mexico and Canada.

As we’ve already said, the renegotiated version of the trade agreement is not in effect yet. It has to clear several logistical hurdles and be approved by the legislative bodies of all three countries. If approved, it would likely take effect around 2020. Until then, NAFTA remains in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Trump states today that he knows more about wall and border tech than anyone.

He also knows more about ISIS than General Matt and anyone who might replace him.

and at least 19 more...

19 things Donald Trump knows better than anyone else, according to Donald Trump
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.663aa9325cbd

Such a very stable genius need no information or advice from anyone. He can run the entire government himself.

They should have made him President of Antarctica

He says he also knows more about drone technology
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Fox News' Chris Wallace Shuts Down Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ Claim About Terrorists Crossing Border
    ‘They’re not coming across the southern border, Sarah,’ the ‘Fox News Sunday’ host told Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

The Fox News Sunday host played a clip of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen claiming that her agency has stopped over 3,000 “special interest aliens”—anyone who comes from a country that has ever produced a terrorist—”trying to come into the country on the southern border,” and informed that press secretary that President Trump’s own State Department has found “no credible evidence” of any terrorists coming across the border from Mexico.

But Sanders doubled down, saying, “We know that roughly, nearly 4,000 known or suspected terrorists come into our country illegally and we know that our most vulnerable point of entry is at our southern border.”

“Wait, wait, wait,” Wallace said, stopping her there. “Because, I know the statistic. I didn’t know if you were going to use it, but I studied up on this. Do you know where those 4,000 people come—where they are captured? Airports.”

As Sanders replied, “Not always,” Wallace interjected and repeated, “Airports,” adding,“The State Department says there hasn’t been any terrorists that they’ve found coming across the southern border with Mexico.”
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ne...ticles&via=rss

Video
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ntv-es-vpx.cnn
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 07-01-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Ha Ha! It's not like the U.S. has never produced a homegrown terrorist.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

But those Trump supporters get a pass...

Apparently Timothy McVie snuck over the southern border on his way to bomb Oklahoma City. Who knew? Same with the Atlanta bomber and the Las Vegas shooter and...

Oh wait, they were all white. Not terrorists. My mistake

The boy who lied and cried "Wolf!" will do so one more time again on national TV on Tuesday night.

It will end predictably...

I hear that it'll be simucast in English.

A young Donald Trump explains why he cut down the cherry tree...

"Father, I cannot tell a lie, the previous four Presidents all told me they wanted to cut down the cherry tree too."

Trump claimed ex-presidents told him they wanted to build a wall. Four of them say it’s not true.

“This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me,” Trump said. “And they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

The president has made 7,600 false or misleading statements since he became president, and some have proved more difficult than others to fact-check. This one was not. There are only four living ex-presidents. The Washington Post reached out to them to see whether they ever told Trump that a border wall should have been built before he was in office: All said they hadn’t. A spokesman for former president George H.W. Bush declined to comment, saying it was too soon for Bush, who died in November, to be “dragged into such debates."

It is true that border walls hold a special place in former president George W. Bush’s legacy. The Secure Fence Act, which he signed into law, paved the way for 700 miles of fences along stretches of the border. But spokesman Freddy Ford told reporters that Bush had not discussed the wall with Trump.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.1cb77eba5364

Reality check: More terror suspects have entered the U.S. from Canada than from Mexico

President Donald Trump and his officials persist in promoting the discredited notion that suspected terrorists are pouring into the U.S. from Mexico by the thousands.

Despite their portrayal of Mexico as a teeming portal for terrorists, the State Department issued a report in September finding “no credible evidence indicating that international terrorist groups have established bases in Mexico, worked with Mexican drug cartels or sent operatives via Mexico into the United States.”
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4824976/u...orists-canada/

THE FACTS: If they’re driving in through border crossings, no wall would stop them. But as to his broader point, U.S. officials have not cited evidence of a terrorist influx from Mexico.

State Department reports on terrorism have expressed more concern about Canada, which unlike Mexico has been home to “violent extremists inspired by terrorist groups such as ISIS and al-Qaida and their affiliates and adherents,” as it said in 2017. When it comes to land crossings, Canada has more often been the source of terrorism suspects entering the U.S., though not in great numbers. By far the majority of people who arouse concern try to enter by air.

The libertarian CATO Institute (Founded by Charles Koch, CEO of the conglomerate Koch Industries) said that from 1975 through 2017, seven people who entered the U.S. illegally from “special interest” countries — states tied at least loosely to terrorism — were convicted of planning attacks on U.S. soil. None crossed from Mexico. They came from Canada or jumped ship in U.S. ports, and all before special interest countries were classified as such. The plots were foiled and no one was hurt.

The only known terrorists who crossed illegally from Mexico in those decades were three ethnic Albanians from Macedonia who came as children with their parents in 1984 and, in their 20s, were arrested in the foiled plot to attack the Fort Dix, New Jersey, Army base in 2007, the CATO study found. They were not from a special-interest country.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-01-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Sarah Sanders claims that 4,000 people on the terrorist watch list were stopped (not arrested) at the southern border in the past year. The actual number? 6. And being on the list doesn't mean you're a terrorist. Just ask the late senator Ted Kennedy about that. He was misidentified as someone who was on the selectee list, a list of people that are given additional security screenings. No, he wasn't on it but he was mistaken for someone who was. So there's no proof that any of those six at the Mexican border were arrested or turned away.

Trump must be spitting nails....

TV networks to air Democratic rebuttal after Trump’s national address on border wall
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4826448/t...ional-address/
    Television networks airing U.S. President Donald Trump’s Oval Office speech on his proposed border wall and the partial government shutdown have also committed to airing the Democratic response to the president.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer say they will make the case themselves. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox Broadcasting, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network and MSNBC all said they would air the rebuttal Tuesday evening.
    The Democrats have been given a gift. They get in the last words.

Surely the clown should have expected for the other side to have their say? It's called balanced reporting. But then, he's never been interested in that.

Prepare to be shredded, genius. I've got the popcorn in.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Story Daniels offers counter programming to Trump tonight.

Stormy Daniels

@StormyDaniels
    If you're looking for anything even remotely worth watching tonight at 9pm EST, I will be folding laundry in my underwear for 8 minutes on Instagram live. http://Instagram.com/thestormydaniels

5:05 PM - Jan 8, 2019

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...wear-instagra/

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Surely the clown should have expected for the other side to have their say? It's called balanced reporting. But then, he's never been interested in that.

Prepare to be shredded, genius. I've got the popcorn in.
    Hmm, yeah, that didn't happen. Pelosi and the old guy made CNN cringe!
    No shredding happened..
    Neither party made a compelling speech..shrug
    1% of their budget to keep illegals out, is it worth it?

I do agree that Trump was so uncompelling.

So where was Trump's trump card?

No crisis, no national emergency, nothing new, more cherry picking, more contrived statistics and empty speech that he was totally weak.

He was stiff, slow and monotone. He had no cheering crowds to feed off of. No reporters to counterpunch. He looked desperate and droned on and on without making a point. He looked sad and defeated like another deal slips through his greasy fingers.

The emperor is wearing no clothes.

His lame duck presidency begins tonight.

BTW Hello Lady, FYI, the "old guy" is Chuck Schumer and he is 68 years old. 4 years younger than Trump. LOL
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-01-2019 at 09:37 PM.

9 minutes of lying.

In His First Oval Office Speech, Trump Falsely Depicts Immigrants as Violent Criminals to Justify Shutdown
    The speech was filled with a predictably long list of lies.

Trump ticked through a long list of gruesome murders in the speech that he said were committed by undocumented immigrants. But while individual stories might be horrific, there is no evidence of a crime wave perpetrated by undocumented immigrants. Crimes stats don’t suggest that people residing in the country illegally commit crimes at a higher rate than people born in the US. In Texas, according to a 2018 analysis by the libertarian Cato Institute, native-born Americans were convicted of crimes at more than twice the rate for the undocumented population. Another recent study in the journal Criminology found that violent crime appears to fall–not increase–when more undocumented immigrants live in a community. US border communities also have low crime rates.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...HGDaS4YJ2YNtBQ

Chuck Schumer and Amy Schumer are of the same family. Their dads are cousins who came from NE Ukraine to NYC. Theyíre Jewish. Nancy Pelosi is a good old Italian Roman Catholic. Just FYI, in case you were wondering. Lol.

From former Bus II speechwriter David Frum

Trump Has Defeated Himself
    The president, trapped without a decent exit in a predicament of his own making, will yield everything and get nothing.

“Leverage: don’t make deals without it.” The words appeared under Donald Trump’s byline on page 55 of the 1987 best seller The Art of the Deal. Trump did not write them, and he seems not to have understood how to apply them. In this budget shutdown, Trump discarded his leverage from the very start, by declaring for the cameras that the budget shutdown was his decision, his responsibility. When the shutdown began to hurt, Trump and his surrogates hastily tried to transfer the onus—but it was too late. Everybody knew that it was Trump’s doing, and that it was done for reasons rejected by large majorities of Americans.

The idea of invoking “emergency powers” was a last grasp for the leverage Trump had already abdicated, and it had to be abandoned for fear of what the courts and public opinion would say.

After the January 8 Oval Office address, little doubt remains of how this shutdown will end. Sooner or later—probably sooner—it will end the way Trump’s threats of nuclear war upon North Korea ended: with a sudden Trump about-face. It is now only a matter of time. The polls will arrive over the next hours. Democrats and Republicans will both see that Trump did not move public opinion in his favor. They might see that Trump could not even motivate very many Americans to watch him. The panic slowly building among congressional Republicans will boil. Trump, trapped without a decent exit in a predicament of his own making, will yield everything and get nothing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...speech/579850/

I think that what can be taken from Frum's piece above is that Trump, along with his whole 'wall' thing, ended up in the shredder. Best place for them.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Chuck Schumer and Amy Schumer are of the same family. Their dads are cousins who came from NE Ukraine to NYC. They’re Jewish. Nancy Pelosi is a good old Italian Roman Catholic. Just FYI, in case you were wondering. Lol.
    I can't stand, Amy not funny Schumer, wow...Never knew Chucky was related..lol! How funny..

Wow! Just wow!

So that is all you got out of Trump's political turmoil yesterday, that two Schumers are distantly related. OMG they have Jewish roots too and came from the Ukraine! Hold the presses!

Looks like you both have nothing to say other than you miss the iron curtain that kept Ukrainians from freedom and want a similar steel wall on the border of Mexico.

How is that iron curtain doing these days anyway? What do you mean, they took it down decades ago? I thought that walls were Trump's solution to every problem and the best idea since the invention of the wheel...

FFS

This...

On The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, the host announced, "Trump's address pre-empted our regularly scheduled CBS programming, FBI," at which time a poster of the procedural drama FBI appeared on the screen. "Not the first time he's interfered with an FBI investigation," Colbert continued.

He went on to hypothesize, "I think Trump gave that speech because he misses being on primetime television." Colbert then gave an impersonation of Trump as a participant on the entrepreneurial show Shark Tank, seeking billions of dollars to fund his border wall.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-01-2019 at 09:44 AM.

9 minutes of lying.

In His First Oval Office Speech, Trump Falsely Depicts Immigrants as Violent Criminals to Justify Shutdown
    The speech was filled with a predictably long list of lies.

Trump ticked through a long list of gruesome murders in the speech that he said were committed by undocumented immigrants. But while individual stories might be horrific, there is no evidence of a crime wave perpetrated by undocumented immigrants. Crimes stats don’t suggest that people residing in the country illegally commit crimes at a higher rate than people born in the US. In Texas, according to a 2018 analysis by the libertarian Cato Institute, native-born Americans were convicted of crimes at more than twice the rate for the undocumented population. Another recent study in the journal Criminology found that violent crime appears to fall–not increase–when more undocumented immigrants live in a community. US border communities also have low crime rates.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...HGDaS4YJ2YNtBQ
    For 2 years, Trump had control of all three branches of the government and failed to get one dime for his wall. The moment he lost power he throws a tantrum, holds the government workers hostage and cries on TV that there is a ridiculous made up crisis. He uses cherry picked horrific crimes as singular examples to stoke fear, xenophobia and racism while ignoring the multiple mass shootings that happened in his past two years in office and 30,000+ annual gun deaths, where he did absolutely nothing to make Americans safer from Americans killing Americans.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/mass-shooting

I DO support a steel wall of iron bars...

Fact check: what the US president got wrong in his primetime address on the border wall
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...order-security
    1. A wall won’t stop drug traffickers
    In his address, Trump cited accurate numbers about drug overdoses in the US, but omitted important context when making the argument that building a wall would remedy these issues.

The US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) has said the most common way for traffickers to smuggle drugs across the border is actually by hiding them in cars that drive through official border checkpoints. And a wall would not resolve the demand for drugs. It might just make it more expensive for drug dealers to get drugs to customers in the US.

2. Illegal immigration to the US has plummeted
    In 2000, the government apprehended 1.6 million people crossing the border illegally. Last year, it apprehended 310,531, the lowest figure since 1971. This number reflects a drop in illegal immigration that has held steady since the economic recession in 2008.

3. People in the US illegally often enter legally
    While 310,531 people were apprehended trying to cross the southern border illegally in 2017, in the same year more than 600,000 people who entered the US legally by air or sea overstayed their visas and remained in the country at the end of the year, according to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
    This is a tiny fraction of the 52 million people who entered the US legally in 2017.

4. Unaccompanied children and families seeking asylum are approaching the border at overwhelming rates
    In November, more than 25,000 families crossed the border, the highest monthly total on record. They are mostly from Central America and are fleeing violence and poverty. Trump incorrectly explained this surge on Tuesday night.

“Last month, 20,000 migrant children were illegally brought into the United States, a dramatic increase,” he said. “These children are used as human pawns by vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs.”

There is no way to track how many children are smuggled in maliciously and the numbers he cited to support this claim were actually about family apprehensions at the border, which means he is implying parents were smugglers or gang members.

5. Terrorists rarely enter the US through Mexico
    While Trump frequently mentions terrorism when discussing immigration, it is notable that he did not discuss it in his address.

At the weekend, Sarah Sanders, the White House press secretary, claimed that 4,000 known or suspected terrorists had been apprehended at the southern border, something her colleague Kellyanne Conway admitted was “an unfortunate misstatement”.

In September, a state department report concerning 2017 found “no credible evidence indicating that international terrorist groups have established bases in Mexico, worked with Mexican drug cartels, or sent operatives via Mexico into the United States.

6. US citizens can also be dangerous criminals
    The DHS said from October 2017 to August 2018, Customs and Border Protection encountered 16,831 “criminal aliens”. Of that group, 63% were stopped at at legal ports of entry, thanks to extensive security screenings. That left 6,259 people who were apprehended and who had criminal convictions. Among that group, 47% were convicted for illegally entering or re-entering the US and 13% had records or convictions for sexual, violent or firearms offenses.

As PRI’s The World points out, a total of 362,000 people were apprehended by border patrol in the same period, which means one in 450 of them had such convictions. Among adult Americans, that ratio is one in 12 with felony convictions.

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-01-2019 at 09:48 AM.

twitter
    stuart [email protected]

There are numerous examples of presidential addresses made to calm a frightened public.

This will be the first to frighten a calm public.
    I really thought that Trump, you know the guy who said he could "shoot someone on 5th Avenue and people would still vote for him", would go on national TV and threaten to shoot a dog if he did not get his border wall.

(Note: No dogs were harmed in making this post)
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Famous Trump quotes

"I have joined the political arena so that the powerful can no longer beat up on people that cannot defend themselves. Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it."

"I have no patience for injustice, no tolerance for government incompetence, no sympathy for leaders who fail their citizens."

"We can never fix our problems by relying on the same politicians who created our problems in the first place. A new future requires brand new leadership."

Yes Donald, you created the shutdown, you own it and we need a new leader.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...der-wall-2006/

Interesting..hmmm.

At the time the act was being considered, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer were all members of the Senate. (Schumer of New York is now the Senate minority leader.)
    Obama, Clinton, Schumer and 23 other Democratic senators voted in favor of the act when it passed in the Senate by a vote of 80 to 19.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...der-wall-2006/

Interesting..hmmm.

At the time the act was being considered, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer were all members of the Senate. (Schumer of New York is now the Senate minority leader.)
    Obama, Clinton, Schumer and 23 other Democratic senators voted in favor of the act when it passed in the Senate by a vote of 80 to 19.
    From the same article:

The Secure Fence Act of 2006, which was passed by a Republican Congress and signed by President George W. Bush, authorized about 700 miles of fencing along certain stretches of land between the border of the United States and Mexico.

Basically, they voted for a measured approach on a fence, not a wall. It was also 13 years ago when 9/11 was far fresher in the minds of Americans, and border security was a much more serious (although somewhat irrational threat.) The world has changed in that we have a better understanding of where the threat actually lies (hint: It's not in Mexico), and if groups wish to do harm, not a fence nor a wall will stop them. The argument for the wall is built on lies, and the fear stoked from those lies.

Oh I saw all that, but like you,I did some cherry picking. Right now it's a p*ssing contest. The losers are the people in both parties. I've seen some posts by border guards, and they are on the presidents side,go figure!
    Also a radio station in the US, said the drugs that come from mexico are triple what we ever see..oh well.

Bipartisan meeting today following the Schumer/Pelosi plan to create seperate bill to reopen the government. Both the Republican and the Democrats agree to the plan on Capital Hill and will have all four bill passed by this afternoon.

The White House states that the President will refuse to sign the bill because it does not have funding for his wall.

Faux News squarely places the blame on Trump and his failed promise to have Mexico, not the American public, pay for the wall.

Faux News is turning on the President and expect him to be President of all the People, both Democrats and Republicans, not just the President of Trump Base.

Asked if there will be a point at which Democrats need to compromise on the border wall, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi argued Democrats are already compromising by bringing to the floor spending bills that were passed by Senate Republicans.It's the White House, she said, that keeps moving "the goalposts."
    "Every time they come with a proposal, they walk away from it," she told reporters in a news conference on Capitol Hill with furloughed workers standing in the background. "Pretty soon these goalposts won't even be in the stadium."
    For his part, Trump was unflinching Wednesday in his position, explaining why he won't agree to reopen parts of government without securing funding for a border wall first.
    If the Republicans can agree with reopening the government, why can't Trump?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-01-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Mike Pence misquotes and claims that Nancy Pelosi refused to support money for border security.

Republicans continually mix the to issues, Border Security and a Border Wall.

Trump confirmed that Nancy Pelosi stated that she said no to a border wall, not border security.

Trump is throwing a tantrum over a wall that even Texas Republicans think is not practical and money poorly spent, and the White House deliberately lies about the facts about what happened between Trump and the leader of the House.

Oh I saw all that, but like you,I did some cherry picking. Right now it's a p*ssing contest. The losers are the people in both parties. I've seen some posts by border guards, and they are on the presidents side,go figure!
    Also a radio station in the US, said the drugs that come from mexico are triple what we ever see..oh well.
    And the vast, vast majority of drugs come across the border at the legal border crossings, hidden in cars and trucks. Is he planning on building a wall across them as well?

And the vast, vast majority of drugs come across the border at the legal border crossings, hidden in cars and trucks. Is he planning on building a wall across them as well?
    Drugs also come via airliners and cargo planes. Trump will build walls across runways!

Trump claims that you cannot have border security without a wall. "never in a million years"

Funny, the border in Hyder Alaska has no wall. Been there, done that. Great bar in Hyder. Got "Hyderized" at the Glacier Inn back in 1984. Video Link

Note 30 foot wall with Canada

High security wall to prevent Canadian moose from bringing drugs into the US.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Ya more fiction by Trudeau's ^ ^ greatest fan: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/u...democrats.html

Trump claims that you cannot have border security without a wall. "never in a million years"

Funny, the border in Hyder Alaska has no wall. Been there, done that. Great bar in Hyder. Got "Hyderized" at the Glacier Inn back in 1984. Video Link

I'd have been in favour of a wall if it would have kept this nitwit out of the country.

Sarah Palin's family sought health care in Canada

"Believe it or not - this was in the sixties - we used to hustle on over the border for health care that we would receive in Whitehorse," she said.

"I remember my brother, he burned his ankle in some little kid accident thing, and my parents had to put him on a train and rush him over to Whitehorse, and I think, 'Isn't that kind of ironic now'. Zooming over the border, getting health care from Canada."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...in-Canada.html

Pundits state that Trump set up today's meeting like a reality show stunt. Gather everyone together and demand his wall, then react with slamming the table and walking out.

Will blame Democrats that he had to envoke emergency powers.

Theatrics 101

Made zero impact on negotiations.

"I didn't say Mexico would pay for it, I said New Mexico would pay for it."

Republican border wall compromise? GOP leader introduces plan for state government to foot the bill

Montana state Senate President Scott Sales (R-Bozeman) is exploring legislation for state government to foot the bill.

On Tuesday, the same day as Trump’s primetime address, Sales requested a bill draft to “appropriate funds for border wall funding.”

Montana is 1,000 miles away from Mexico, but does share a 545 mile border with Canada.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/rep...ZWpcI.facebook

That's not how national emergencies work.

TRUMP: I have the absolute right to do national emergency if I want.

REPORTER: What’s your threshold for when you might make that decision?

TRUMP: My threshold will be if I can’t make a deal with people that are unreasonable.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/sta...rgency-deal%2F

This

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-01-2019 at 09:14 PM.

An old Western TV series has gone viral over an episode that predicted Donald Trump’s presidency

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...ea7173d7ebb84f
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    An old Western TV series has gone viral over an episode that predicted Donald Trump’s presidency

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...ea7173d7ebb84f
    Love it! Thanks for posting this!

Makes me wonder if there isn’t a Fred Trump connection to the wall idea.

The actor even looks a bit like him.
    Last edited by KC; 10-01-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Full episode

I believe that this was posted last year.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...haracter-wall/

Trump uses this as his playbook and shtick "Only he can save them"

People in 1880's were so stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Creativemind View Post

LOL!!

Texas landowners prepare for wall fight
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/texas-...rder-1.4972686
    At the border in Texas, Eloisa Cavazos, a landowner in McAllen, a city of 143,000 on the river, said she knows first-hand how the project will play out if the White House gets its way.

The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas and announced plans to start construction next month. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight the administration in court.

"You could give me a trillion dollars and I wouldn't take it," said Cavazos, whose land sits along the Rio Grande, the river separating the U.S. and Mexico in Texas. "It's not about money."

Trump statement today...

“When, during the campaign, I would say Mexico is going to pay for it, obviously I never said this and I never meant they’re going to write out a cheque,” Trump said.
    Full blown B.S.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 10-01-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Way to go Jim... Go figure... walls work...
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cnn...der-walls-work

Let's see if CNN airs that segment

Go out to many places in Texas where there is no fence and it is calm at the border too. There is no crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post

Parts of this was interesting:

CBC Listen | The Current | Full Episode for January 10, 2019 - The Current

“Today on The Current: We talk to some of the people living along the U.S.-Mexico border, asking how they feel about the prospect of a border wall in their back yard”
    https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/the-...isode/15662190

'If there's a concrete wall in front of you, go through it,'

- DJT, 2004

maybe that's why he wants slats now?

Big concrete wall

Go out to many places in Texas where there is no fence and it is calm at the border too. There is no crisis.
    Please do that PRT. In the heart of the Big Bend mountains would be great. Be wary of those rattlers and scorpions. They can be deadly. Please send footage. Thanks.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-01-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Likely not, stuck his foot in his mouth there. The only good reporting Iíve seen him do. lol

"Fake news! Sad!"

Prototype for Trump’s steel ‘barrier’ easily cut during testing along border

NBC News reports that a recent Department of Homeland Security test of a prototype steel wall conducted by Marine Corps experts showed that it could be cut through with a saw.

In fact, a photo obtained by NBC reveals that DHS tests lopped off multiple steel slats that the president has insisted will stop undocumented immigrants from coming into the United States.

“Testing by DHS in late 2017 showed all eight prototypes, including the steel slats, were vulnerable to breaching, according to an internal February 2018 U.S. Customs and Border Protection report,” writes NBC News.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/pro...jTfKM.facebook

News station KPBS. lol

Trump statement today...

“When, during the campaign, I would say Mexico is going to pay for it, obviously I never said this and I never meant they’re going to write out a cheque,” Trump said.
    Full blown B.S.
    From his own website

Trump’s new claim about Mexico paying for the wall is debunked by his own campaign website

An archived DonaldJTrump.com page from March 2016 titled “COMPELLING MEXICO TO PAY FOR THE WALL,” reads, “It’s an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year.”

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-mexi...-5d4846a0b05d/

Jim, you big lummox..LOL

There never was.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I can see Ruth Ginsburg stepping down real soon , the TDS will be at Mach 5 when he gets to appoint another supreme court judge .

Deleted duplicate
    Last edited by KC; 10-01-2019 at 09:31 PM.

"Fake news! Sad!"

Prototype for Trump’s steel ‘barrier’ easily cut during testing along border

NBC News reports that a recent Department of Homeland Security test of a prototype steel wall conducted by Marine Corps experts showed that it could be cut through with a saw.

In fact, a photo obtained by NBC reveals that DHS tests lopped off multiple steel slats that the president has insisted will stop undocumented immigrants from coming into the United States.

“Testing by DHS in late 2017 showed all eight prototypes, including the steel slats, were vulnerable to breaching, according to an internal February 2018 U.S. Customs and Border Protection report,” writes NBC News.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/pro...jTfKM.facebook
    Creating lots of jobs. Welders jobs. Maybe on the Mexican side to save on costs.

And lots of drone pilot jobs and camera minders on the US side - to minimize the cost of all the welders.

About the military vet who set up a GoFundMe for the wall:

"I Felt Dirty": Former Employees Of The Veteran Crowdfunding Trump's Wall Say He Pushed Fake News To Get Rich

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ation-facebook

Why am I not surprised?

Trump via @dsupervilleap: TRUMP: “This is where I ask the Democrats to come back to Washington and vote for money for the all the barrier. I don’t care what they name it. They can name it peaches"

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/stat...21777816563712

Of course, now the New Names for a Stupid Idea flow freely...

Didn't Trump have a night with a couple of 'peaches' in a hotel in Moscow?

As for voting, the Republicans all left Washington to spend their government paychecks and the big checks from the NRA, big corporations and other sources. I hear the exchange rate from Rubles to US dollars is up.

Okay, here’s the compromise. The Republicans give 5.7 billion to the National Endowment for the Arts and the NEA gets Christo to build the wall.

-
    Steve Kemish

Car Jack used to Breach Border Fence

BORDER WALL NEARLY COLLAPSES DURING TESTING, 13 PROTOTYPES 'BREACHED' ALONG MEXICAN BORDER
    https://www.newsweek.com/border-wall...mexico-1128900

New Photo Shows Steel Border Wall Prototype Can Be Breached With Saw
    https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...10614551913448

Harbor Freight Portable Cutting Torch
    Battery Grinder

Car Jack

Air Conditioned border tunnel

Trump runs into a legal wall on Border Wall

Trump backs away from declaring national emergency to fund border wall
    ‘What we’re not looking to do right now is national emergency’
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-wall-shutdown

Even Fox News did not believe Trump

Trump Gets Instant Fact-Check From Fox News' Shepard Smith After Oval Office Speech
    The Fox News anchor did not let the president get away with his lies to the American people Tuesday night.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...-office-speech

One big question heading into Tuesday night’s big Oval Office address from President Trump was how much fact-checking would be done by the various networks. And on Fox, anchor Shepard Smith did not let the president get away with his lies.

Immediately following Trump’s approximately 10-minute speech, Smith broke down a “number of claims” that were deliberately misleading. While Trump issued scary warnings about murders by immigrants, Smith said, “Statistics show that there is less violent crime by the undocumented immigrant population than by the general population.”

In response to Trump claiming his wall would stop drug trafficking across the border, Smith said, “Government statistics show much of the heroin actually comes not over the unguarded border but through ports of call.”

The anchor also informed viewers that the number of illegal border crossings has been going “steadily down over the past 10 years” despite Trump’s assertion that they are on the rise and the government reports that “there is more outward traffic than inward traffic.”

“As for the trade deal he mentioned with Mexico, which he said would pay for the wall,” Smith continued, “that trade deal is not yet complete.” And while Trump claimed that law enforcement professionals have requested the $5.7 billion funding for the wall, it was actually the president himself who requested it “and he himself who said he would own the shutdown.”

“Nevertheless, he’s making the case to keep his base together on this matter,” Smith added, in a nod to Fox News viewers.

Trump did not just say that Mexico would pay for the wall, Trump wrote a two page memo and sent it to Robert Costa and Bob Woodward on March 31st 2016.

Memo explains how Donald Trump plans to pay for border wall
    In a two-page memo to The Washington Post, Trump outlined for the first time how he would seek to force Mexico to pay for his 1,000-mile border fence, which Trump has made a cornerstone of his presidential campaign and which has been repeatedly scoffed at by current and former Mexican leaders
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/...der-wall/2007/

Trump is an underpants gnome from South Park.

Gee, maybe they know what they're talking about and Trump is <GASP!> wrong....

Traffickers at the El Chapo trial say drugs aren't smuggled through open parts of the border

Most drugs are smuggled into the United States onboard fishing boats, trains, tractor-trailers and ordinary cars that come into the country at legal ports of entry, according to former cartel members who've testified in the trial of notorious cartel leader Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

Some cartel members have testified about using underground tunnels. But none have said they've transported drugs into the United States at unwalled sections of the border.

The testimony comes at a time when President Donald Trump's push for a border wall includes arguments that it would help stop the flow of drugs into the United States.
    Trump tweeted Friday that without a steel barrier or wall along the US-Mexico border, "our Country cannot be safe. Criminals, Gangs, Human Traffickers, Drugs & so much other big trouble can easily pour in. It can be stopped cold!"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/us/dr...der/index.html

Your examples demonstrate that better border control is needed. Maybe they could fill the Rio Grande with hungry crocs and gaters, lol. To the west fencing with 1000 volts maybe? Tell me your ideas to secure the border. Iím sure you have the answers. I think your generous idea would be open borders and allowing 100 million people to drift in from Mexico, central and South America plus African and other countries. A large amount say 25 million a year or so could just continue right on up to Canada. Iím sure you would love them all. Maybe you could accommodate 30 or 40 at your house as well.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-01-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Nope. However, this goes to show that the problem with the border is not going to solved with a wall. Trump says the drug trade would be "stopped cold" with his wall yet all the evidence shows that is not the case. More screening at the border crossings, more inspections of commercial traffic at the border would do a heck of a lot more at stemming the drug trade and human trafficking than a multi billion dollar wall.

But, if he gets his wall he'll just declare "mission accomplished" and go onto the next shiny distraction. Except he really doesn't want a wall. He wants to be seen fighting for a wall in order to keep his base riled up.

You didn’t bother to read the article, did you? Clearly a wall wouldn’t help restrict drugs coming into the US if those drugs are coming by boat, plane, or cars driven through a legal port of entry.

Border security doesn’t have to equal a wall. So someone could be both for border security being increased, yet against having a wall built.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Read it, knew it, but everything helps. Most heavily populated areas already have a steel wall, 750 miles worth. The plan is to build 250 more miles that are needed. Watch those border patrol reality shows and see what those boys go through trying to stop people. I agree all means are needed if indeed they are serious. The desert and unpopulated areas could be patrolled by several means without fencing. Itís just the heavily populated areas that are having problems. One thing I must say is different sections have been built through different administrations. Itís just that Trump is not a politician and can not communicate or negotiate or do basically anything political. A president needs to have political experience at different levels. Iím hoping he announces his retirement end of term and allows a leadership race to begin later in the year for the party in the next election. Jeb Bush would be a more qualified candidate for sure. Having a Mexican/Latino wife as he does plus his Mexican experiences would be helpful right now for the party to rebound. imo

Oh yeah, reality TV shows are the best source of information.

And Trump's plan is not for 259 miles worth, he's said numerous times that he wants his "big, beautiful" wall the entire length of the border.

The only thing that is keeping Donald Trump from facing charges right now is the office of the president. He's going to hold onto it for as long as he can.

Maybe you should watch, you may learn something. Trump is a dingbat. He canít do the job. Not nice enough or wise enough politically to BS everyone, like the others are so good at.

Obama did not have to lie and could do many good things to make America greater, if it was not for the obstructionist Republicans who were against him from day one. Even if Obama proposed ideas that Republicans wanted, they thwarted Obama at every turn.

Par for the course in DC

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast