Thread: New Federal Conservative Leader - Andrew Scheer

Default New Federal Conservative Leader - Andrew Scheer

Thought Bernier had a chance of getting this. Should be interesting now the Fed Conservatives have a new leader to see how their popularity goes up in the charts - while Tater Tots plummets.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

At least they had the smarts to reject Kellie "Donalda Trump" Leitch. She of the "barbaric practices tip line" and her refusal to say the word mosque after the Quebec City shooting.

C2E Continued Contributor

^I was hoping for a Michael Chong victory but I also knew that was never going to happen... so...

Scheer is only 38. Seems like that could be some kind of record for a conservative leader.

Clark was 36. Youngest ever leader of a major federal party.

Me thinks this was a huge mistake . Nobody's even heard of the guy ....in a society where it's about name and popularity ....huge mistake.

I'd rather C2E than work!

He was speaker of the house, your head is up your blank, if you've never heard of him. Of course he doesn't have daddies last name to go by, but he doesn't have a crappy selfie ego either
    LOL!

Gemini, tater tot was already going down. Wait until the nbp steal back voters!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    He was speaker of the house, your head is up your blank, if you've never heard of him. Of course he doesn't have daddies last name to go by, but he doesn't have a crappy selfie ego either
    LOL!

Try it. Go around asking people who the speaker of the house is...99% wouldn't have a clue . Expect a decade of liberal rule for nobody's heard of the guy . It's like " Andrew who ? " " leader of what ?" ...but hey !..don't listen .

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    LOL!

Try it. Go around asking people who the speaker of the house is...99% wouldn't have a clue . Expect a decade of liberal rule for nobody's heard of the guy . It's like " Andrew who ? " " leader of what ?" ...but hey !..don't listen .
    Okay. And the only reason Trudeau was running was because of his poncy daddy! I like Scheer, if you don't., too bad! I.don't. care.
    Tater tot , little potato, half wit pot smoking skateboarder wasn't known either! Then he was anointed.. Boooooooo!

Yeah it was really head shaking when Tater Tot was thrust forth onto the political stage. The guy is as much use as an inflatable dart board when he goes off script.
    He cant function unless his handlers are around telling him what to say. Tater belongs to the cult of personality dudes and not the political crowds. He has more in common with the likes of the Kardashians and the Paris Hilton's on this world than the movers and shakers. Social climbers.

LOL!

Okay. And the only reason Trudeau was running was because of his poncy daddy! I like Scheer, if you don't., too bad! I.don't. care.
    Tater tot , little potato, half wit pot smoking skateboarder wasn't known either! Then he was anointed.. Boooooooo!
    Never said I didn't like the guy . I actually had no clue who the guy even us ...till now , and I'm one of those people who's engaged / take interest in politics . 99% of others aren't...go around showing a picture of the guy ' and nobody will have a clue who he is....huge mistake !

This Scheer guy does seem very personable. I don't think it will take long for people to get familiar with him. A tour of some of the bigger cities and a couple of interviews with national newspapers will go a long way to get his name out. Next will come the mandate for the next election.

^on the surface, he seems almost the perfect candidate. Of course, we will see how it pans out. Basically, Stephen Harpers policies (which worked and were popular), but with a smiley more happy face.

Here Scheer departs from Harper is the method of communicating beyond the party base.

“We can’t be motivated by anger or not paying higher taxes. Showing a genuine concern for people – that is how we get to a broader audience.

“I don’t like the fact Conservatives have that negative connotation – that we’re always against things, always ‘tackling’ something, ‘cracking down’ on something, or ‘getting tough’ on something else. We have to have something positive to say on the flipside. Ronald Reagan won almost every state in the union; Brad Wall flipped a province from NDP to small ‘c’ conservative by talking about unleashing the power of the private sector to create more prosperity. That’s the side of our policies we need a leader to speak about,” he said.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...or-all-seasons

Sheer is from Saskatchewan, that's gotta be good because most federal politicians are from Quebec and Ontario.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Sheer is from Saskatchewan, that's gotta be good because most federal politicians are from Quebec and Ontario.
    He grew up in Ottawa as well, a common story, went to the West for opportunity. It explains why he is fluent in French. The NDP and Liberals are already a bit worried, they wanted to attack Brenier (who is a pure fiscal conservative, rather than a "pragmatic" conservative) on supply management, but Sheer won't attack that, he wants Quebec votes. We will see all the Harperesq "hidden agenda" stuff around abortion again, even though Sheer has said, like Harper did, he won't change the rules on this. I think the Liberals and NDP have to be careful - comparing him to Harper might play nicely to their base, but for middle of the road voters, the Harper years were very good years (in a time, when the rest of the world was struggling economically).
    Last edited by moahunter; 28-05-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    This Scheer guy does seem very personable. I don't think it will take long for people to get familiar with him. A tour of some of the bigger cities and a couple of interviews with national newspapers will go a long way to get his name out. Next will come the mandate for the next election.
    He'll be fine. He wants to wean Canada off of foreign oil, which is fine, because Saudi doesn't deserve any money from us!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    He grew up in Ottawa as well, a common story, went to the West for opportunity. It explains why he is fluent in French. The NDP and Liberals are already a bit worried, they wanted to attack Brenier (who is a pure fiscal conservative, rather than a "pragmatic" conservative) on supply management, but Sheer won't attack that, he wants Quebec votes. We will see all the Harperesq "hidden agenda" stuff around abortion again, even though Sheer has said, like Harper did, he won't change the rules on this. I think the Liberals and NDP have to be careful - comparing him to Harper might play nicely to their base, but for middle of the road voters, the Harper years were very good years (in a time, when the rest of the world was struggling economically).
    He's already stated he won't open up abortion debates, or same sex marriage. He finds them too divisive. Getting rid of the cash grab, I mean carbon tax,good news!

He'll be fine. He wants to wean Canada off of foreign oil, which is fine, because Saudi doesn't deserve any money from us!
    Yeah, I'm team Scheer already. Better than the fake we have in power already.

Scheer was bad for the Conservatives, but great for Trudeau. Instead of electing a modernist, mildly fiscally conservative leader that could win an election, they got a socially conservative nobody that will lose to anyone that plays to the vast majority of centrist voters.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Justin was elected mostly because people, after 9 years, were tired of Harper as Prime Minister.

I bet that Scheer will do better next election than Stephen Harper did.

Scheer will do better, and Jagmeet Singh will do better for the NDP. I can see Trudeau down to a minority .Harper handled that well, Trudeau/Butts won't.

^on the surface, he seems almost the perfect candidate. Of course, we will see how it pans out. Basically, Stephen Harpers policies (which worked and were popular), but with a smiley more happy face.

Here Scheer departs from Harper is the method of communicating beyond the party base.

“We can’t be motivated by anger or not paying higher taxes. Showing a genuine concern for people – that is how we get to a broader audience.

“I don’t like the fact Conservatives have that negative connotation – that we’re always against things, always ‘tackling’ something, ‘cracking down’ on something, or ‘getting tough’ on something else. We have to have something positive to say on the flipside. Ronald Reagan won almost every state in the union; Brad Wall flipped a province from NDP to small ‘c’ conservative by talking about unleashing the power of the private sector to create more prosperity. That’s the side of our policies we need a leader to speak about,” he said.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...or-all-seasons
    As a fiscal conservative I was very disappointed in Harper's policy's of wracking up $150 billion of debt. Running 7-8 consecutive deficits....for an economist the guy didn't even see it coming. But I'm also not a hypocrite...I can admit that it was the Liberals/ NDP who pushed for an action plan / stimulus for the conservative party had no plan , at all. But I've also never met a conservative who didn't take the gold plated pension , who , who wouldn't wracking up a deficit ...they only seem to complain when it's the other guy doing it. It's a party of sellouts .

The biggest issue I have with conservatives is that none of them want to do the job we pay them to do. They show up for a few months and then quit. Then expect a transition allowance to Quit their job ? ..talk about using and abusing us taxpayers. Why even run for office ? And then we have to pay for costly by-election. Scum of all earth as far as I'm concerned...

Just heard Andrew on Roy Greene show. He's really likeable, its nice to hear that from the NDP and a few Libbie's that called in, I'm sure some of the latter are embarrassed by tater tot A few die hard liberals I know wouldn't vote for Trudeau, poncy little git, I can see why!

Just heard Andrew on Roy Greene show. He's really likeable, its nice to hear that from the NDP and a few Libbie's that called in, I'm sure some of the latter are embarrassed by tater tot A few die hard liberals I know wouldn't vote for Trudeau, poncy little git, I can see why!
    Was hoping for a leader who has some real world experience, who can relate with the working man. Rather we get a big government guy , who's only ever lived off the taxpayer . The Conservative party's toast for its deeply disfunctional/ divided .

Was hoping for a leader who has some real world experience, who can relate with the working man. Rather we get a big government guy , who's only ever lived off the taxpayer . The Conservative party's toast for its deeply disfunctional/ divided .
    Like a skateboard teacher part time drama teacher and pothead. Nah, I'll stay with Andrew. He worked for his seat! He's been handed nothing.

Like a skateboard teacher part time drama teacher and pothead. Nah, I'll stay with Andrew. He worked for his seat! He's been handed nothing.
    At least JT has that real world experience. Knows how to relate , .....having been a working man himself . This Andrew guy only knows pigging out at the trough. As a real conservative I'll rather JT.

At least JT has that real world experience. Knows how to relate , .....having been a working man himself . This Andrew guy only knows pigging out at the trough. As a real conservative I'll rather JT.
    ROFLMAO! OMG, what? He's a bloody trust fund baby..he doesn't know middle class from his ------ hole! LOL! You can have JT anbyd his carbon tax cash grab..working class pfffft!

ROFLMAO! OMG, what? He's a bloody trust fund baby..he doesn't know middle class from his ------ hole! LOL! You can have JT anbyd his carbon tax cash grab..working class pfffft!
    I don't like the carbon tax either ..but, JT at least cut small business taxes. Money I can use to hire employees / build this country . More than the conservatives ever did . Not to mention the dreaded GST they gave us....

Our business did much better under PM Harper

Butts is running the show now, so thank Butts
    LOL

Our business did much better under PM Harper

Butts is running the show now, so thank Butts
    LOL
    "much better" how so?

I don't like the carbon tax either ..but, JT at least cut small business taxes. Money I can use to hire employees / build this country . More than the conservatives ever did . Not to mention the dreaded GST they gave us....
    I like H.L.'s first name basis approach.

Andrew vs Justin

^Seems like Scheer will not open debates that he was personally opposed to. Let sleeping dogs lie so to speak. Most of the things he has opposed or voted against have been because of his religion no doubt but he is not going to rock the boat because of his personal beliefs. Why should he. Let him get on with his own agenda.

I see the left jumped all over him, telling him what hes going to do. He'll open the abortion debate just like PM Harper( except Harper didn't)

Besides....Abortion hasn't been illegal since 1969 and hasn't actually been challenged legally since 1988. The paranoia needs to settle.

Liberals usually see things that are not there.

C2E SME

Am I the only one that sees the irony and hypocrisy in the Conservatives, for the second time in a row, picking a leader with zero "real world" job experience? I personally don't think that's necessarily a show-stopper for a politician, but the Conservatives have long led me to believe that only someone with tons of "real world" experience should ever be PM. I mean, look at all the snickers about Trudeau's background as a snowboarding instructor and drama teacher. Hilariously enough, Harper and Scheer's resumes prior to politics are even thinner. Harper worked in a mail room for a year or two, and it would appear Scheer also pushed a bit of paper for a small insurance company for a year or so.

Again, I'm not saying that's a problem for me personally. The "yay God" social stances are more than enough to disqualify him in my eyes. I just find the hypocrisy about "career politicians" coming from the Conservatives astounding.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 31-05-2017 at 03:05 PM.

They sure do. I do wonder if they will jump all over the NDPs rising star and career politician. He's Sikh, his religion plays a big part in his life, I imagine that won't be a problem for the MSM though.

Should be interesting to see who replaces Angry Tom. Although whoever it is I think the race for the next P M job will be between the Libs and Cons. Scheer has said he will not reopen abortion, gay marriage etc and any bills/acts that come before the house will be open votes. The Libs will probably start to open up all these old issues to paint Scheer as a oppressive holy roller to take the electorates mind off Tater Tots abysmal record.

C2E SME

Should be interesting to see who replaces Angry Tom. Although whoever it is I think the race for the next P M job will be between the Libs and Cons. Scheer has said he will not reopen abortion, gay marriage etc and any bills/acts that come before the house will be open votes. The Libs will probably start to open up all these old issues to paint Scheer as a oppressive holy roller to take the electorates mind off Tater Tots abysmal record.
    Yup, so terrible: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-gdp-1.4139075

Canada's economy expanded at an annual pace of nearly four per cent in the first quarter, more than three times the growth seen in the U.S. in the same period.

They sure do. I do wonder if they will jump all over the NDPs rising star and career politician. He's Sikh, his religion plays a big part in his life, I imagine that won't be a problem for the MSM though.
    Reminds of the conservetive minister Tim Uppal , remember him ...Harpers right hand man. His brother got busted with drugs and weapons IN Edmonton and it's like ...it's your brother,..you didn't know? ...

^Kinda like the libs making a big mess of things and they don't know.

Won't disagree with you there. They all a bunch of Fluffer. Blue / red / orange ...they all the same

Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Yup, so terrible: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-gdp-1.4139075

Canada's economy expanded at an annual pace of nearly four per cent in the first quarter, more than three times the growth seen in the U.S. in the same period.
    Gem doesn't need your facts! She gets all she needs to know from Ezra & The Rebel.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Am I the only one that sees the irony and hypocrisy in the Conservatives, for the second time in a row, picking a leader with zero "real world" job experience? I personally don't think that's necessarily a show-stopper for a politician, but the Conservatives have long led me to believe that only someone with tons of "real world" experience should ever be PM. I mean, look at all the snickers about Trudeau's background as a snowboarding instructor and drama teacher. Hilariously enough, Harper and Scheer's resumes prior to politics are even thinner. Harper worked in a mail room for a year or two, and it would appear Scheer also pushed a bit of paper for a small insurance company for a year or so.

Again, I'm not saying that's a problem for me personally. The "yay God" social stances are more than enough to disqualify him in my eyes. I just find the hypocrisy about "career politicians" coming from the Conservatives astounding.
    I can't even see this as equivocal. Harpers political experience prior to becoming Prime MInister is much more substantive than JT. Unless one incorporates the "Dad used to be PM and we kids used to watch him"

The ONLY reason JT is in politics is because of dad. With Harper its actually about political interest and being predisposed, himself, to that vision. It is with Scheer too. Certainly you can distinguish the difference of people that choose politics vs those that rode in reluctantly on dads name coat tails.

Finally how completely career useless does one need to be to have JT's prior resume while being the prodigy of arguably the most famous father in Canadian history? His opportunity throughout life would be limitless. Its the definition of being born with a golden spoon.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Default Canadians may not know him from Adam, but Scheer ends the year quietly confident

Good article / interview. This resonates:

“What I’ve tried to do over the past few months is set markers down about the overall Liberal approach to government and the Conservative approach,” he said.

“I believe the problem with Liberals is that they don’t care about the results of their policies, they just care about the intentions that they show. They wrap themselves up in emotion and sending a signal about what they care about. The effects of their policies are usually terrible but they try to gloss over that.

“Conservatives have the inverse problem — we don’t do enough to show that we are engaged on these issues and care about them, we go right to results. Over the past six months, I’ve tried to say: ‘Here’s what Andrew Scheer believes and here’s what the Conservative Party stands for.’ It’s based on greater individual freedom of belief and a trust in free people making free decisions in a free market, not government control and government deciding things.”
    http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...etly-confident
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-12-2017 at 11:42 AM.

“What I’ve tried to do over the past few months is set markers down about the overall Liberal approach to government and the Conservative approach,” he said.

“I believe the problem with Liberals is that they don’t care about the results of their policies, they just care about the intentions that they show. They wrap themselves up in emotion and sending a signal about what they care about. The effects of their policies are usually terrible but they try to gloss over that.

“Conservatives have the inverse problem — we don’t do enough to show that we are engaged on these issues and care about them, we go right to results. Over the past six months, I’ve tried to say: ‘Here’s what Andrew Scheer believes and here’s what the Conservative Party stands for.’ It’s based on greater individual freedom of belief and a trust in free people making free decisions in a free market, not government control and government deciding things.”
    Excerpt - what’s he talking about - the results of the Liberal policies seem to be pretty good.

(The coincident results of improving economy etc are good. Could be a lagging effect of Conservative policy but that’s not how the real world assesses these things. The party in Power gets the credit. Moreover great short term results created through borrow and spend policies can be disastrous down the road but again, like tax cuts, borrow and spend, or both combined, make the party in power at the time of the stimulus look great.)

What are the billions of dollars in investment that have left?
    Last edited by KC; 21-12-2017 at 12:46 PM.

I've always liked Scheer, he can't compete with JT, he's right. He understands the middle class, JT pretends he does!