Thread: K-DAYS 2017 Parade on Jasper Ave

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default K-DAYS 2017 Parade on Jasper Ave

Due to construction on 102 ave in preparation of LRT, this years K-Days parade will be on Jasper Ave.
    http://k-days.com/wp-content/uploads...Parade-Map.pdf
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Awesome !!

Top_Dawg can't wait to set eyes on that magnificent CofE balloon float again.

Last I heard was the C of E balloon float has been grounded. It's been put in storage till gawd know when. Kim Krushnell championed it and called it a piece of art.
    Well in that case the saying of ' art is subjective' definitely comes to mind. There are somethings in life that you see and wish you can in-see. That ugle balloon comes under that category. I suggest they let if float in space and if there are other life forms out there let it scare the bejeebers out of them.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ter-four-years
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Reminder!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Is there going to be a DBA float? Will you, Ian, be sitting in a car doing a queenly wave?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Hahaha... not this year, but maybe watch for a guy serving family friendly BBQ pulled pork around Jasper and 102st
    www.decl.org

What is "family friendly" BBQ pulled pork? Does it eschew the "pork" part to be "inclusive" too?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Yeah, pork is pretty much the opposite of "inclusive" food.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Hope to see many of you there!
    www.decl.org

We hope to see you all tomorrow!

twitter.com/dbayeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Anybody go? Sadly I was one of the many vehicles stuck in a traffic jam surrounding Jasper Ave from 100th St and west on 100th Ave at 8:55 am caused by all the streets closed to crossing traffic.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Quote Originally Posted by booster View Post
    Anybody go? Sadly I was one of the many vehicles stuck in a traffic jam surrounding Jasper Ave from 100th St and west on 100th Ave at 8:55 am caused by all the streets closed to crossing traffic.
    The pedestrian traffic thanks to the JW convention at Rogers didn't help either.

It was very well attended even with mediocre weather. Loved it being back on Jasper.

Something like 120 entries and around 2hrs.
    www.decl.org

The weather was fine. Not a drop of rain here today, just some clouds, reduced smoke and haze and almost perfect activity weather for families. If you ever had kids, or ever know anybody that did you would know that today was a pretty good day for kids to be outside without the sun blazing down and +30degrees.

Anyway Jasper Avenue is the place for it, for sure. Paula Simons with a good article about the return of the Parade to Jasper Avenue and how it used to be cherished and packed, complete with some pictures in the article;
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...-jasper-avenue

Alas you never knew that Edmonton DT Ian. That used to be the kind of event where people would climb up trees, on top of buildings, phone booths etc to get a look. Where crowds would pack 10 thick all along the route and families would try to get anybody to let their kids have a vantage point. When Jasper Avenue and the DT were special places people DID flock to.

Now something you would have even less familiarity with is the 100K routine crowds at the DT Klondike Sunday promenade. Keeping in mind the metro area was half the population then. Around 1/6 people in the whole metro area would attend this.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The weather was fine. Not a drop of rain here today, just some clouds, reduced smoke and haze and almost perfect activity weather for families. If you ever had kids, or ever know anybody that did you would know that today was a pretty good day for kids to be outside without the sun blazing down and +30degrees.

Anyway Jasper Avenue is the place for it, for sure. Paula Simons with a good article about the return of the Parade to Jasper Avenue and how it used to be cherished and packed, complete with some pictures in the article;
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...-jasper-avenue

Alas you never knew that Edmonton DT Ian. That used to be the kind of event where people would climb up trees, on top of buildings, phone booths etc to get a look. Where crowds would pack 10 thick all along the route and families would try to get anybody to let their kids have a vantage point. When Jasper Avenue and the DT were special places people DID flock to.

Now something you would have even less familiarity with is the 100K routine crowds at the DT Klondike Sunday promenade. Keeping in mind the metro area was half the population then. Around 1/6 people in the whole metro area would attend this.
    I recall those days. I loved the Sunday promenade as well. The banks would get decorated. Now its a parade and eat fest..I dont bother, along with many others..( shrug)

I remember the promenade as well. What happened to all that stuff? K Days used to be a much bigger deal and the entire city had a lot more fun with it.

I think Northlands has been phoning it in for too long. Edmonton is growing like crazy, and the biggest summer festival in the city just seems to be shrinking (or stagnant at the very least).

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I remember the promenade as well. What happened to all that stuff? K Days used to be a much bigger deal and the entire city had a lot more fun with it.

I think Northlands has been phoning it in for too long. Edmonton is growing like crazy, and the biggest summer festival in the city just seems to be shrinking (or stagnant at the very least).

I agree, all I hear about is is weird food. Meh, shame really..

Some tall forehead decided we no longer needed Klondike Days and everything fell apart. That simple. Remember the days when Stampede and Klondike Days rivalled each other. We had something very good back then. Maybe someone could run for mayor on the promise to bring it all back together again. I had the pleasure of spending a few days in Calgary and felt like hey, this is Alberta. People were saying nearly 400,000 people were out to watch the parade, nearly 1000 horses in the parade. Second only to the Rose Bowl Parade in North America etc etc. There was so much going on everywhere it was amazing. The rodeo such a success and other events. I just thought Wow, somebody in Edmonton really dropped the ball.

With all those panning for gold shows on reality tv now it makes me miss Klondike Days even more. Bring it back, it will be a hit! I will even buy a Klondike outfit to wear if they do. Maybe I could buy a mule and grow a beard and be in the parade. Sure miss Klondike Mike.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-07-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Some tall forehead decided we no longer needed Klondike Days and everything fell apart. That simple. Remember the days when Stampede and Klondike Days rivalled each other. We had something very good back then. Maybe someone could run for mayor on the promise to bring it all back together again. I had the pleasure of spending a few days in Calgary and felt like hey, this is Alberta. People were saying nearly 400,000 people were out to watch the parade, nearly 1000 horses in the parade. Second only to the Rose Bowl Parade in North America etc etc. There was so much going on everywhere it was amazing. The rodeo such a success and other events. I just thought Wow, somebody in Edmonton really dropped the ball.
    The "Make Edmonton Great Again" campaign?

Times have changed. The people have changed. The composition and values of people have changed and will continue to change.

Moreover, the Edmonton Exhibition may have been relatively more successful over its 85 years than the much shorter lived Klondike Days but then: that was then, and so was the Klondike Days era. This is now.
    Last edited by KC; 22-07-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Ya I noticed. Nearly 400,000 for the Stampede parade and K days parade was hoping for 20,000, but then it rained. You must be proud of your "now" generation.

K days reminds me of the K car. lol

I only watched on tv. It was a good parade and Global did a very good job of covering it

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I only watched on tv. It was a good parade and Global did a very good job of covering it
    You travelled to Calgary to be part of the Stampede but could only watch our parade on Tv. That is a big reason for the difference. Apathy in Edmonton for what we have to offer.

Ya I noticed. Nearly 400,000 for the Stampede parade and K days parade was hoping for 20,000, but then it rained. You must be proud of your "now" generation.
    LOL. It didn't even rain!

The stampede is a huge draw, because of the rodeo. They come from all across north America. They used to then travel up for Klondike days, that's not happening as much, the hotels are no longer full too capacity..

With all those panning for gold shows on reality tv now it makes me miss Klondike Days even more. Bring it back, it will be a hit! I will even buy a Klondike outfit to wear if they do. Maybe I could buy a mule and grow a beard and be in the parade. Sure miss Klondike Mike.
    I loved Klondike Mike! He's had so many photos taken, he's all over the world! Kinda like our pm, without the stupid socks!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    The stampede is a huge draw, because of the rodeo. They come from all across north America. They used to then travel up for Klondike days, that's not happening as much, the hotels are no longer full too capacity..
    If you grew up in Edmonton during the 1970s, you'll remember every shopping mall would be decked in the Klondike spirit. I remember Southgate had a mini gold panning for the kids. Don't forget about the popularity of the Sourdough Raft Race. It was on the first Saturday of K-Days and the river valley would be lined up with spectators. There were some spectacular rafts from the corporations. The raft race and King of the Klondike was even televised on local stations.

But times have definitely changed. In Calgary, the Stampede is the major event of their summer. Calgary folks plan their holiday and budget for "the greatest outdoor show on Earth!"

You know where I am going....Since the mid-1980s Edmonton has grown smaller festivals like the Fringe, Heritage Days, and Folk Fest to the major attraction that they are today. Edmonton is not a one trick pony.

Klondike/K-Days is dead. Don't bother reviving it.

I blame Northlands - they only promote the fair. They want people on the fair grounds, and don't want people doing some other K-Days related activities somewhere else in the city.

And the worst part is they've done nothing to improve the fair! The attendance peaked over a decade ago, and considering how this city has been growing since then, that statistic is pathetic. Northlands' official motto should be "It's good enough".

C2E SME

I used to go downtown as a kid with my family to the K-Days parade, and it was fun. My mom told me that the downtown restaurants started to rip people off, ultimately driving people out of downtown. Perhaps part of the cause may be other festivals that took off in the city, and K-Days lost market share.

Edmonton's move to host the K-Days Parade on Jasper Avenue is a positive one.
    Last edited by The_Cat; 22-07-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

^^ Agreed North Guy. I actually prefer having more and smaller festivals that last all summer rather than one big festival that only last a week. We need to promote what we do well. Fringe (2nd largest in the world) and Heritage Days come to mind. Stop trying to revive what's already dead.