Thread: Ecology fees on my grocery bills?

Default Ecology fees on my grocery bills?

Todays my first time seeing an ecology charge on my grocery receipt. All of my milk and any 2 litre bottles had an additional 12 cent tax on each one. This is in addition to the deposits we already pay.

I dont recall seeing this tax elsewhere yet the store claimed its a provincial tax. Google was no help on this.

Thoughts?

Decisions by manufacturers to pass on the container recycling fee to retailers and by retailers to pass it to consumers are made independently. Some retailers choose to pass the fee on and show it on the receipt, and other retailers include it in the price of the product.
    https://albertadepot.ca/recycling-10...recycling-fee/

They've been in place for 15 years.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^this is a good summarization of all yours posts here

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Decisions by manufacturers to pass on the container recycling fee to retailers and by retailers to pass it to consumers are made independently. Some retailers choose to pass the fee on and show it on the receipt, and other retailers include it in the price of the product.
    https://albertadepot.ca/recycling-10...recycling-fee/

They've been in place for 15 years.
    Not at the rate he's stating . Memorandum of Understanding between the Alberta Dairy Council and the Government of Alberta, the fees are applied at a rate of 2˘ per 4-litre plastic milk jug and 1˘ per two- litre plastic jug, two-litre carton and one-litre carton sold in the province.

Sounds like he/she being scam or over charged

i understand your bottle fees. 5 cents, 10 cents, 25 cents... this eco fee was on top of that fee.

We've had, for the longest time, a deposit fee, a recycle fee...so you're seeing a third tax, an eco fee, on top?

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Not at the rate he's stating . Memorandum of Understanding between the Alberta Dairy Council and the Government of Alberta, the fees are applied at a rate of 2˘ per 4-litre plastic milk jug and 1˘ per two- litre plastic jug, two-litre carton and one-litre carton sold in the province.

Wrong.

https://albertadepot.ca/recycling-10...s-and-refunds/
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Wrong.

https://albertadepot.ca/recycling-10...s-and-refunds/
    Your wrong !

There is no deposit on milk as it deem a necessity . The ecology fee on milk is strictly voluntary at the rates I listed. It shouldn't be on any other beverages as they have deposit / recycling fees. Why there no return on milk jugs.

You might want to have a word with Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation (ABCRC), the Beverage Container Management Board (BCMB), and the Alberta Bottle Depot Association (ABDA) for their pushing of false information on their website.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    i understand your bottle fees. 5 cents, 10 cents, 25 cents... this eco fee was on top of that fee.
    Well that is new!

You might want to have a word with Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation (ABCRC), the Beverage Container Management Board (BCMB), and the Alberta Bottle Depot Association (ABDA) for their pushing of false information on their website.
    Notice you can't take a milk jug to the bottle depot for a refund ? there is no deposit .

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Well that is new!
    No, it's not. The charges have been in place since 2002 & the rates I posted have been in effect since 2009

Approved by the Board August 24, 2009
    http://www.bottlebill.org/assets/pdf...9-ABbylaws.pdf

Well that is new!
    No, it's not. The charges have been in place since 2002 & the rates I posted have been in effect since 2009

Noodle . Your wrong !

The deposit / recycling fee on beverage containers is totally separate from an ecology fee ..<___eg. Milk jugs that go in the recycle bin.

Beverage containers = bottle depot

Ecology fee = recycle bin

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Well that is new!

Noodle . Your wrong !

The deposit / recycling fee on beverage containers is totally separate from an ecology fee ..<___eg. Milk jugs that go in the recycle bin.

Beverage containers = bottle depot

Ecology fee = recycle bin
    no, he's not wrong. you are.

milk containers are all products on which a refundable deposit is paid by the consumer. if you want to confirm that, you can do so here:

http://portal.bcmb.ab.ca/Product just enter "lucerne" or whoever's milk you're buying.

it's true for the "gable top" wax cartons and for plastic containers as well as tetrapacs. while they are also recyclable if placed in the recycle bin, all that means is that you're not getting your deposit back, not that you haven't paid a deposit.

in addition to the refundable deposit collected from the consumer, the manufacturer is charged a container recycling fee which is sometimes referred to an ecology fee (partly because that's what it's called in other jurisdictions and it's a pre-existing cost code in the manufacturers' and retailer's accounting systems). that's the .12 noted by the op. not all manufacturers charge that back as a separate fee to the retailer and not all retailers charge that back as a separate fee to the retailer even if they are charged separately by the manufacturer which is why it is sometimes seen on the cash register tape and sometimes not, even for the same item sold in different stores.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Notice you can't take a milk jug to the bottle depot for a refund ? there is no deposit .

I take ours back..

There have been deposits and refunds on milk containers in Alberta since 2008.

Under the updated program, Albertans will pay a deposit on all milk containers and will be able to drop off
    the containers at any Alberta bottle depot. The deposits on all beverage containers, including milk
    containers, will increase to 10 cents for containers one litre and under and 25 cents for containers greater
    than one litre.
    https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...DD4E558528F541

Wonder if the OP got charged a fee for new plastic bags when you don't bring your own bags. I know Rexall charges 5 cents per plastic bag when you don't bring your own.

I take ours back..
    I stand corrected and owe noodle an apology . Changed in 2009. If there's a deposit / refund then they shouldn't be adding an ecology tax and the dairy council needs update it's website of the new changes. Sorry noodles

Now I'm peeved on all the lost money putting them in recycle bin

Well that is new!
    Im glad i wasnt alone on this LOL. Ive always seen the deposits on bottles but havent seen an ecology fee added on top of the bottle deposit.

Anytime i buy booze that fee is never there. Noodles first post summed it up nicely where some retailers may add a separate line for this fee where others just add it into the price of the product.

Clearly the places i regularly shop add the cost into the purchase.

East Mccauley- charge isnt for bags. Receipt goes $4 milk followed by 25 cent bottle deposit follower by 12 cent ecology fee...

Followed by whatever other items i bought... anyways mystery solved!

East Mccauley- charge isnt for bags. Receipt goes $4 milk followed by 25 cent bottle deposit follower by 12 cent ecology fee...

Followed by whatever other items i bought... anyways mystery solved!
    Good. Receipts are different I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    There have been deposits and refunds on milk containers in Alberta since 2008.

Under the updated program, Albertans will pay a deposit on all milk containers and will be able to drop off
    the containers at any Alberta bottle depot. The deposits on all beverage containers, including milk
    containers, will increase to 10 cents for containers one litre and under and 25 cents for containers greater
    than one litre.
    https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...DD4E558528F541

Wonder if the OP got charged a fee for new plastic bags when you don't bring your own bags. I know Rexall charges 5 cents per plastic bag when you don't bring your own.
    The plastic bag fee just annoys me. At one time the cost of the bag was factored into the merchandise you bought. I just smh when somebody has just dropped $200,$300 plus at a place and then on top of that charge the person for the bag. Then they produce the most flimsiest bag for to carry their expensive loot in. A store like Wally Mart must make a killing on all those bags they sell. Millions of customers a day and if half of them want bags that's a fortune over a year. On top of that the customer is the one recycling the bag not them.
    As for milk jugs. The place I go to just wants people to rinse them and squash and even if they don't they get 25 cents back.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain