Thread: End of the World | Proposed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default End of the World | Proposed

Design for ‘The End of the World’ lookout going to Edmonton city council
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3541343/de...n-city-council

The end may be near for “The End of the World” as we know it.
    On Tuesday, city council’s executive committee will discuss plans to build a formal lookout at the illicit and unsafe, but popular viewpoint in Edmonton’s North Saskatchewan River valley.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Design for ‘The End of the World’ lookout going to Edmonton city council
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3541343/de...n-city-council

The end may be near for “The End of the World” as we know it.
    On Tuesday, city council’s executive committee will discuss plans to build a formal lookout at the illicit and unsafe, but popular viewpoint in Edmonton’s North Saskatchewan River valley.

If it ain't broke; why fix it.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

It's a safety hazard and just waiting for an accident, that's why its broke and needs fixing.

Mixed emotions on this. I cant help but feel this will be spending too much money on something that doesnt need it, and any appeal the place had will be gone with this new proposal. On the flip side last thing the city needs is a few drunk kids fall off this thing and kill themselves. Hmmmm.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Would have been nice to re-establish Keillor Drive back in the day.

Why do we need Keillor road again? Even if it wouldn't have cost many millions to stop the road from falling into the river (valley), I still don't see the point of the roadway. Good riddance!

That's the driver in me talking. Very convenient route (and scenic) to get from SW to Central.

C2E Posting Power

Isn't the appeal of the end of the world that you're not supposed to be there? I feel like this will stop the crowd that goes there from returning. Maybe it'll bring a new crowd, but I'm doubtful.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup that is the appeal, by putting up railings you eliminate some of the allure. Personally I could only go about 3' out from the dropoff.

I think it's a waste of money.

Mixed as well, but this will be a wonderful new addition.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I think it's a waste of money.
    It is a waste of money, As it stands right now it's a hidden and forbidden gem of the city where nothing serious has happened yet. But putting up barricades and developing it, all you do is rip the warmth and charm out of a spot like that.

While we're at it; let's tear down the rickity deck overviewing the core just east of the Conservatory; it's not exactly safe. Shaking me head.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

440k just for design, according to CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...oint-1.4163444

So we're looking at potentially 5 million when it's all said and done, at a very wild guess. Millions, anyways. That seems like a lot of money when the city can barely afford to maintain the existing trail system in the river valley, let alone improve it.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Agreed. The current infrastructure is in poor shape as it is... but we can afford more? I doubt it.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

So the city going to build something proper before someone gets hurt or killed and they get sued. I agree it's not a bad thing to have a nice proper viewing platform there but I think it's for the wrong reasons. Just ask all the dummies that ignore "Do not enter" signs and climb fences at viewing platforms at waterfalls, it's going to happen here too.

The End of the World? Damn millennials naming stuff. LOL back in my day it was simply Keillor Road and a backed up traffic clogged shortcut during rush hour with a nice taste of the rivervalley. IIRC it closed in the summer of 1994, September 1st if I remember right... it being the big city discussion that year.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Just detonate or demolish the remaining piers which is what any city ought to have done anyway. to leave those standing as is for decades, right in a central area of the city, right in the river valley is incomprehensible. The piers should have been removed when the massive slide occurred.

Also, obvious this is a slide zone, why build much of anything there? Do we know that that the slide potential is fully dissipated in that area? Take out the concrete abutments and problem solved.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Edmonton council gives approval for engineering work to improve ‘End of the World’ site
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3560333/ed...he-world-site/

Edmonton city council gave the go-ahead Tuesday for engineering work to be done on the lookout known as the “End of the World.”

The popular point overlooks the North Saskatchewan River and offers breathtaking views of the river valley.

“I understand why people go there, I’ve gone down to take a look at it,” Mayor Don Iveson said after the decision.

“I won’t go anywhere near the edge, I think people who walk out there are nuts.”

Construction won’t be done until a geotechnical study says it’s safe to do so. The city will start by looking at the piles that already exist in the structure in an effort to make sure they’re not making an already bad situation worse.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012