Thread: Has anyone here ever renovated their home?

Default Has anyone here ever renovated their home?

Hi there,

I need to do some renovations. Mostly minor, I hope.

What I will need to do is replaced a couple of toilets in the bathroom and possibly the tub.
    Some painting in the basement
    Replace the kitchen countertops
    repair the roof
    and install some carpeting.

The home is about 1800 square feet 2 story home. main story is 1300 sq feet and the upstairs is 500 sq feet.

The kitchen is more of a galley kitchen and the cupboards are in mint condition.

I know the cost is going to be pretty hefty and not something I can just dish out in one shot.

I was thinking of getting a home equity loan or.....

Just changing these out in stages.

Can anyone help me with approximately how much you have invested in renovating your home?

^The toilets are easy, but the tub isn't minor. Roof is a big job as well. I think if I did bathroom again, I'd look at Bath fitter - not cheap (nothing ever is with a bathroom), but it gives you a low maintenance solution, and less hassle because you won't have contractors in your place for days.

Have not had to do major renovations all at once but I have had to replace the roof, replace windows/doors, switched out flooring and knocked down an internal wall. If I were to do a major renovation I would try to get it all done at once. Hire a contractor as they would know the sequence in which to do things and just get it over with. With a reputable contractor you should get a professional looking result plus they will not cut corners or do something that will cost you more down the road. As for the financing. Well, if you do have enough equity in your home you could go with a Line of Credit. I think Lines of Credit are slightly different from Home Equity Loans so see what works best for you. It's may not be cheap but if it turns out great, well that's priceless.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

You really won't know till you start ripping stuff out . There could be water damage, rot , mold etc...start with the toilet, you need a toilet,..then get on that roof. Winter will come sooner than later. With how the economy is there a ton of experience sitting unemployed willing to work for cheap. Post an add on kijjiji .

Really depends how hands on you are ...but, with a contractor you never know , the work is very seldom guaranteed and can lead to a lot of hassle . Just because they a contractor sais nothing about quality , skill...they could have a crew of rejects for all you know . Roof and any structural , wiring , plumbing first. Cosmetics, drywall last . Most flooring last except in kitchen ..that needs laid before cupboards, counteracts. Imo

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    You really won't know till you start ripping stuff out . There could be water damage, rot , mold etc...start with the toilet, you need a toilet,..then get on that roof. Winter will come sooner than later. With how the economy is there a ton of experience sitting unemployed willing to work for cheap. Post an add on kijjiji .

Really depends how hands on you are ...but, with a contractor you never know , the work is very seldom guaranteed and can lead to a lot of hassle . Just because they a contractor sais nothing about quality , skill...they could have a crew of rejects for all you know . Roof and any structural , wiring , plumbing first. Cosmetics, drywall last . Most flooring last except in kitchen ..that needs laid before cupboards, counteracts. Imo
    Well I did say hire a REPUTABLE contractor and not some doofus on kijiji who thinks he/she knows how to do plumbing/wiring/structural assessments and the only brush they have held is a lint brush, not to mention they are really party planners who's only foray into a DIY store was to buy a sheet of construction paper.
    When you hire someone 'cheap' that's usually the look and results you get.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post

Well I did say hire a REPUTABLE contractor and not some doofus on kijiji who thinks he/she knows how to do plumbing/wiring/structural assessments and the only brush they have held is a lint brush, not to mention they are really party planners who's only foray into a DIY store was to buy a sheet of construction paper.
    When you hire someone 'cheap' that's usually the look and results you get.
    Gemini ,..doubt you have a clue what your talking about. Probably no management experience , never ran a crew, not even a trade ticket . Doubt you even know what the wax seal on a toilet is for....

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    Hi there,

What I will need to do is replaced a couple of toilets in the bathroom and possibly the tub.
    repair the roof

The home is about 1800 square feet 2 story home. main story is 1300 sq feet and the upstairs is 500 sq feet.

The kitchen is more of a galley kitchen and the cupboards are in mint condition.
    Toilets are not all that hard unless they're in a real old house before the standard outlet position and bolt holes changed. Water damage may be an issue so prepare for hassle. Only do 1 at a time, if there are women in the house. I learned that bathrooms and kitchens are sacred places for women and they can't be disturbed very long without a lot of sucking up. Buy an extra wax seal for the toilets because you may very well muff one of them and they're cheaper to buy and chuck than drive back to get another one. Clean all the bolt/connector threads with a brass bruch fro m a dollar store..

Being a 2-story house, "repair the roof" goes from an extension ladder or two like you'd have to clean your gutters to something more major. Get a pro. Or, could you do the "repair" from the attic?

Painting is cheap and easy and a good morale-booster to make something look better. Preparation is 90% of the job though.

Given that you have a galley kitchen the countertops are all straight, so anything pre-cut from Home Depot (or better) would work. Depends on what kind of countertops you want. If you're handy, cruise The Architectural Clearing House or Habitat for Humanity for bargain finds. You'll likely want to do something to the wall between the countertop-backsplash and the cupboards so factor that in.

Carpeting depends on how handy you are. Tools like stretchers can be rented from Home Depot and there are lots of carpet places (like along 149 St from 111 Ave to the Yellowhead) to buy materials.

Home Depot has some kind of contractors service if you buy the materials from them. Haven't used it, but I did use the same through Sears for eavestrough replacement on a 2-storey house I owned and the price was well worth it. I assume Rona would have such a service too.

Do some YouTubing to at least get familiar with what the process would be so you can decide if you'd be up to it or prefer to pay for a pro job.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

^^One thing I do know is not to waste my money on a 'cheap' job. Yes, I do know what a seal is on a toilet. Bigger question is do you know quality work when you see it or do you just cut corners. Your idea probably of a new bathroom is to change the wax seal on the toilet and change the shower curtain.
    Last edited by Gemini; 20-06-2017 at 05:53 PM.

^One thing I do know is not to waste my money on a 'cheap' job. Yes, I do know what a seal is on a toilet. Bigger question is do you know quality work when you see it or do you just cut corners. Your idea probably of a new bathroom is to change the wax seal on the toilet and change the shower curtain.
    Your trying tell a guy who has 4 trade tickets , 2nd level QC and ran a mechanical business ? Pffft. Beat it scab !

^what guy you talking about. Surely not vous.

Fight! Fight!

This one is going to be nasty...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^^One thing I do know is not to waste my money on a 'cheap' job. Yes, I do know what a seal is on a toilet. Bigger question is do you know quality work when you see it or do you just cut corners. Your idea probably of a new bathroom is to change the wax seal on the toilet and change the shower curtain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Hi there,

repair the roof

Toilets are not all that hard unless they're in a real old house before the standard outlet position and bolt holes changed. Water damage may be an issue so prepare for hassle. Only do 1 at a time, if there are women in the house. I learned that bathrooms and kitchens are sacred places for women and they can't be disturbed very long without a lot of sucking up. Buy an extra wax seal for the toilets because you may very well muff one of them and they're cheaper to buy and chuck than drive back to get another one. Clean all the bolt/connector threads with a brass bruch fro m a dollar store..

Being a 2-story house, "repair the roof" goes from an extension ladder or two like you'd have to clean your gutters to something more major. Get a pro. Or, could you do the "repair" from the attic?

Painting is cheap and easy and a good morale-booster to make something look better. Preparation is 90% of the job though.

Given that you have a galley kitchen the countertops are all straight, so anything pre-cut from Home Depot (or better) would work. Depends on what kind of countertops you want. If you're handy, cruise The Architectural Clearing House or Habitat for Humanity for bargain finds. You'll likely want to do something to the wall between the countertop-backsplash and the cupboards so factor that in.

Carpeting depends on how handy you are. Tools like stretchers can be rented from Home Depot and there are lots of carpet places (like along 149 St from 111 Ave to the Yellowhead) to buy materials.

Home Depot has some kind of contractors service if you buy the materials from them. Haven't used it, but I did use the same through Sears for eavestrough replacement on a 2-storey house I owned and the price was well worth it. I assume Rona would have such a service too.

Do some YouTubing to at least get familiar with what the process would be so you can decide if you'd be up to it or prefer to pay for a pro job.

Have to hand it to you Spudly, yours is hands down the most useful post so far.
    Last edited by Gemini; 20-06-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Fight! Fight!

This one is going to be nasty...
    Oh boy, the forums demented parakeet joins in.

Right.

Learned from my father who built his own home as was a master cabinet maker.

I have renovated four homes myself. The last one sold at 3 times what I paid for it.

I will not go further into this pizzing contest.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

YouTube video are great idea !

Right.

Learned from my father who built his own home as was a master cabinet maker.

I have renovated four homes myself. The last one sold at 3 times what I paid for it.

I will not go further into this pizzing contest.
    Funny how that works. Your inciting a fight in post #11 then back out when someone acknowledges the post.
    Granted me and champking are having a spirited exchange and I'm sure the guy has big enough shoulders that he is taking it with a pinch of salt.
    Then you, the regular chit disturber launches in with no actual advice just the regular pot stirring. Even now the original poster has gleaned nothing of use from you.
    At least me and champking have put forth some advice even if it is at opposing ends.
    Sounds like your building skills are more advanced than your writing skills. Stick with what you know best.
    If YOU think your in a pizzing contest maybe do just that, pizz off.
    Last edited by Gemini; 20-06-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Hi there,

I need to do some renovations. Mostly minor, I hope.

repair the roof

I know the cost is going to be pretty hefty and not something I can just dish out in one shot.

I was thinking of getting a home equity loan or.....

Just changing these out in stages.

Can anyone help me with approximately how much you have invested in renovating your home?
    If you are not sure how to do all or any of these jobs you could try to do the easiest ones first. If you have friends in the trades you need you could always ask them if they would help. If you do one job at a time do the most urgent ones first. If your kitchen cabinets are in great shape maybe new handles will give a new look. Don't fix it if its not broken. OR if you want the job(s) over and done with talk to the bank about a loan/line of credit/home equity plan. That way if you hire a reputable general contractor he will co-ordinate each job and get them finished faster than maybe you and others just working the weekends on them. Another thing, if you do run into problems when doing it yourself you may end up having to call a professional just to get it finished. Anyway, I hope whatever you do turns out just the way you want it. It might not be easy but it will be worth it.

Gemini

You start duking it out with Chamking and I call it out with a comic relief spin.

Then you deride me.

Boil in your own swill.

Why would anybody replace their own toilets? Man, you gotta love home repairs to do that. We just bought two new toilets at Home depot a couple years ago and the installation cost about as much as the delivery, hardly anything. No work required, they do the take out and installation and even clean the mess. The price was very reasonable. The only addon prices was to update the water connectors and minimal at that.

Roofing? Back breaking and dangerous job. Hire a professional crew and ONLY from a company that ensures they have WCB coverage. NEVER have a contractor or installer or anybody working on your home, on your property, especially on your roof, without it. I've roofed our garage but the house I'm not going to mess with it. You could even easily void your insurance coverage if you later had water damage because you didn't install flashing right or protect a roof valley right etc. Insurance companies will sure look for proof of who did your roof if you do report any water damage claim.

Kitchen countertops?

Heres where it gets interesting. Seemingly almost everybody switches out kitchen countertops when its absolutely not required.

I used this product from home hardware and got it onsale for less than 150bucks and did it 2 yrs ago. No problems since. Its almost like new counters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dC9rn2WSQ

I had cracking counter, chips, and really tired and worn looking counters. Properly applied this product looked just as good as it said and people compliment it all the time. I would actually rather have it then heavy granite or have to rip out and reinstall all the countertop. The product usually lasts 10years. The best part is the rock coat even gives the counter surface some more strength. I had a couple places I had to reapply glue, keep counter down to the substrate but now no loose edges. We've had zero problems with the counter surface since.

I guess in half a dozen years I have to figure out whether I want to reapply again but its an option.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-06-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Gemini

You start duking it out with Chamking and I call it out with a comic relief spin.

Then you deride me.

Boil in your own swill.
    She's a gem. Particularly ornery this week.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Nice. Are you trying to deride me as well my calling me effeminate as if the feminine gender is a lessor human? Nice, very nice to deride 50% of the population. I expect this from Gemini, not you Replacement.

Nice. Are you trying to deride me as well my calling me effeminate as if the feminine gender is a lessor human? Nice, very nice to deride 50% of the population. I expect this from Gemini, not you Replacement.
    Huh, I was supporting you, I meant Gem was particularly ornery this week, not you. sorry about the confusion, I realize above now my grammatical syntax was wrong. Should be a comma instead of a period and full stop. My grammatical work sucks sometimes. sorry again

Thanks Replacement. It was not characteristic of you. Gemini is a character that we all have to tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Gemini

Then you deride me.

Boil in your own swill.
    She's a gem. Particularly ornery this week.
    Particularly ornery this week. LMAO.
    Any who Replacement I appreciate the YouTube video you posted #19 of the counter top application. There is nothing at all wrong with my countertops but I just don't like the feel of them. They have a texture on them, it's a very subtle texture (not sharp) which in places it does not feel clean. It's hard to describe. The color and condition is good though. Now, does this countertop product you used have a texture when it's finished. Does it feel like stone or granite and what color did you use and how long did it take you to do the job. Looks like something the OP could tackle, tie the color in with the floor covering and the kitchen cupboards.
    Did not get to look at the whole You tube video but seen enough of it to say it was a viable product.

^The way I applied it mine has a slight texture to it but more due to preference and how much you sand it down before final covering coats. Thing is if you sand down a lot you are eliminating some of the thickness of the rock coat. That's the only problem I found that sanding just enough to get rough bits off and overall smooth was enough. There are no sharp edges or anything like that. I wouldn't say the finish is completely smooth, it has a very slight pebble feel to it but is what I also wanted. Feels more natural that way. Its important to follow all the steps, with curing/drying the job can take a week with all the coats required. Don't skimp on making sure you have everything taped and covers protected etc. This can get on stuff and its rock coat so hard to get off.

ps I should mention one of the most critical things is ensuring the rock coat is stirred exceptionally well before applying it and always stir it even if you take a 15min break or something. That way the rock coat comes out with a smooth and even distribution of the rock grain. if not you get rock splotches around. Also that when you roll on you will note that you need to roll really uniformly and with little pressure. Its a bit of a skill and touch job. Word of advice is to start out in the least seen corner of your kitchen. Even under where your microwave sits is good. That way you have a practice corner before getting to your most seen spots of your countertops. We made sure our island part was the most professional looking job. The kit comes with all the brushes, rollers etc you need but we always have extra roller on hand because this rock coat really messes up the rollers. I found it better to replace them a few times and use new ones. I would buy a new paint roller for this job. You want perfect smooth rotation. The one contained with the kit is a bit cheap.

I used Tuscany color which seems to work well with wood grain cabinets. We redid flooring as well I should mention and just used Traffic master vinyl tiles which adhere right onto your previous linoleum. That's another easy job, hardest thing with the job is getting the perfect joints and keeping them perfectly square.

Our kitchen is redone and it barely cost anything. New appliances of course being the greatest cost but not bad either.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.

^Does the finish feel like concrete/stone or more of a man made finish and do you clean it with a damp cloth or use a spray like Mr. Clean or similar.

The rock coat is contained of actual granular rock of different colors and so there is some rock like texture to it, somewhat as the rockchip is contained in a thick kind of mud that you roll on and it hardens and dries. On top of this you put on the final coats of supplied sealant. That is your finishing surface. But its not such a thickly applied sealant that it removes all the texture, some of it is still there depending on how much you sand. Don't sand too much.

So with the finished product you can wipe, use cleaners, just don't use abrasive scrubs on it, people shouldn't do that with counter tops anyway. It hasn't stained, chipped, anything like that. You do of course avoid cutting on the surface or putting hot pots directly on the surface. I also wipe up standing water after doing dishes. The one part that does get a bit susceptible to peeling back is immediately next to the sink. But we didn't remove the sink to apply this (optional) and just taped around the stainless steel sink. We probably didn't wait long enough for that area, for it to cure, given theres more moisture in that area. I'm talking barely visible seam that just peeled back a bit just in a couple spots bordering sink . People don't even notice. I still have some of the stuff left in the can and can probably touch it up.

Its a great product.

Just to mention, the Beautitone product is better than the alternate "Rustoleum" kit which requires you to literally throw rockchips directly on the counters and then grind and seal it. What a mess. The Beautitone is so much easier to use. Less clean up too. Minimal sanding, minimal mess, no loose rock chips all over your kitchen.. Rustoleum is the dated version of this kind of idea. Yet people still buy that product more, go figure.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-06-2017 at 03:40 PM.

It does seem like a good product and a great option if you do not want the hassle of removing and fitting new kitchen tops.

It does seem like a good product and a great option if you do not want the hassle of removing and fitting new kitchen tops.
    Yeah, after using it I have no idea why people remove the whole countertops. I mean you can have extremely cracked countertop (you just remove with an exacto knife any surface that is cracked or peeling and you apply this kit above and you never know what kind of condition your countertop was in. We even had one part where the seal was coming loose and starting to curl up. Cut a bit glued a bit, (just normal contact cement) and with this product that area is totally sealed and flat. You can't even tell there was a seam issue there. A counter would have to be moldy and rotten for this stuff not to work.

This is what I appreciate about Home Hardware. They carry a lot of superior products like this that a lot of other hardware stores don't carry. The other stores WANT you to drop a grand on totally new countertops. Its crazy. Hardly anybody knows about this option.

Since though theres lots of people that now paint and seal countertops and do a lot to them that never used to occur. So people are learning. Frankly I've never seen a countertop that actually REQUIRED replacing. just refinish it.

Just back to thread again the Traffic master vinyl tiles are a pretty cheap and easy replacement floor. Much easier than installing new linoleum and I would avoid laminate or hardwood finish in kitchen areas.

I like solutions that are easier, and nobody knows the difference when they see it.

For certain areas I like those strips that look like hardwood only they seem bendable and can be glued down. Not sure what the product is called but for small areas it looks like it would be fairly easy to apply.

Just remember that for any paint-over or stick-on job, surface prep is 90% of success. Clean, clean, clean, and/or rough, rough, rough, especially in a kitchen. Straight ammonia is a great cleaner and gloss cutter. Wear gloves and ventilate well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Hi there,

repair the roof

Thanks Spudly,

Very insightful post and advice.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere's near handy.

I did buy a toilet only to discover that the installation tech that I hired through Home Depot refused to install it because he noticed that the bathroom tile that was replaced about 15 years ago, may have been tiled around the base of the toilet instead of removing the toilet and installing the tile with the toilet on top of it.

I did get a second opinion from a floor installation/plumber expert can see that the toilet is level but there may be a noticeable gap between the tile and the new toilet base in which we may be able to caulk around the base of the toilet, but he fears that because it's an older home (45 years) that the main stack which is cast iron may be corroded which could in turn result in even a bigger issue.

Believe me the job that could have been only $600 for 2 toilets suddenly may turn into $3000.

If I was a handy-woman, I would have done this stuff myself.

But it always boils down to money unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So with the finished product you can wipe, use cleaners, just don't use abrasive scrubs on it, people shouldn't do that with counter tops anyway. It hasn't stained, chipped, anything like that. You do of course avoid cutting on the surface or putting hot pots directly on the surface. I also wipe up standing water after doing dishes. The one part that does get a bit susceptible to peeling back is immediately next to the sink. But we didn't remove the sink to apply this (optional) and just taped around the stainless steel sink. We probably didn't wait long enough for that area, for it to cure, given theres more moisture in that area. I'm talking barely visible seam that just peeled back a bit just in a couple spots bordering sink . People don't even notice. I still have some of the stuff left in the can and can probably touch it up.

Its a great product.

Just to mention, the Beautitone product is better than the alternate "Rustoleum" kit which requires you to literally throw rockchips directly on the counters and then grind and seal it. What a mess. The Beautitone is so much easier to use. Less clean up too. Minimal sanding, minimal mess, no loose rock chips all over your kitchen.. Rustoleum is the dated version of this kind of idea. Yet people still buy that product more, go figure.
    Thanks, I might try this on the only bit of laminate left in my condo - vanity spare bathroom. Worst case, I just replace the vanity.

Thanks Spudly,

Very insightful post and advice.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere's near handy.

I did buy a toilet only to discover that the installation tech that I hired through Home Depot refused to install it because he noticed that the bathroom tile that was replaced about 15 years ago, may have been tiled around the base of the toilet instead of removing the toilet and installing the tile with the toilet on top of it.

I did get a second opinion from a floor installation/plumber expert can see that the toilet is level but there may be a noticeable gap between the tile and the new toilet base in which we may be able to caulk around the base of the toilet, but he fears that because it's an older home (45 years) that the main stack which is cast iron may be corroded which could in turn result in even a bigger issue.

Believe me the job that could have been only $600 for 2 toilets suddenly may turn into $3000.

If I was a handy-woman, I would have done this stuff myself.

But it always boils down to money unfortunately.
    You're very welcome. I was on a roll that day.

Regardless of whether you can do it yourself I still recommend looking at how to do something to be an informed consumer.

A 45-year-old house was built during the 70s boom and may suffer from boomtime workmanship (nto great and using "new" ideas like air-staplers and hacks that accrued since. Your toilet could be a candidate for that scenario. I've had a stack crack in a much-older 2-storey house I was renovating and that was an unfortunate diversion from plan.

If the stack isn't Real Bad, I'd consider getting some tile that is compatible with what was there in colour and thickness and just padding under the toilet to get a new toilet in until I could afford to redo the floor, in which case dealing with the toilet costs a bit of time and a 3-dollar wax seal. Unless your toilet was a real cr*p (ahem) job the bolts should be decent, and toilets come with new ones anyway.

I'm armchairing here though...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Corroded cast iron stack after 45 years... Sounds fishy.