Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sears getting closer to the end

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Sears getting closer to the end

Sears Canada's stock has plunged this morning following a news report that it's preparing to seek bankruptcy protection within weeks.
    The shares fell 25 per cent to 60 cents on the Toronto Stock Exchange shortly after the open Wednesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-canada-creditor-protection-1.4170901?cmp=rss
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

C2E Hard Core Contributor

And now, the end is near,
    And so I face the final curtain....

RIP. I wonder if in the future we will see the same happening to the Bay. I always liked the Bay a lot more than Sears though.

If Sears had any foresight at all, they should've beat Amazon to the punch for online shopping. After all, they had the whole "shop at home using our catalogue" thing down to a science before internet shopping was even an idea.

Sears has nobody to blame but themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    RIP. I wonder if in the future we will see the same happening to the Bay. I always liked the Bay a lot more than Sears though.
    Perhaps, but the Bay seems to be making some effort to be relevant. It seems Sears gave up quite a while ago and just stayed afloat by selling off its valuable real estate.

It's a tough market for retail stores right now, but I wonder if eventually the hassle of picking up and returning parcels will start to wear on people.

For things that you need to get the size right, I am not sure it works so well. I prefer to try things on and I am asleep at 3am not looking for shoes on line, but then I was never big into catalogue shopping either.

Yeah, the Bay flogs up the Canadian connection, and fair enough. I think they collar the 'buy Canadian' angle. Sears never had that.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    If Sears had any foresight at all, they should've beat Amazon to the punch for online shopping. After all, they had the whole "shop at home using our catalogue" thing down to a science before internet shopping was even an idea.

I agree, they actually were in the best position to move to on line shopping of any traditional retailer. They already had the warehouse, shipping and depot infrastructure set up.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I'm sorry to see Sears go. They used to be my go-to for pretty much anything I needed.
    That said, they have fallen off a lot in the last few years.
    I gave up on them a couple of years ago when I tried to order some Christmas presents - and everything was out of stock.
    Non semper erit aestas

C2E Long Term Contributor

One reason why I'm still a loyal Bay shopper is they carry some quality clothing brands I like, and even some their house label stuff is not bad, plus HBC puts some effort into making their store interiors look good, and their higher end stores tend to be busy with a wide variety of age group.

Sears? Their offerings leave much to be desired, the typical interior decore and lighting are dull and deary, making them look barely a step up from your average bargain outlet, and there's usually just a handful of seniors who still shop there.

AFAIK they should just put Sears out of our misery already so that we can finally replace them with Nordstrom and Saks locations in this city. In fact I'm pretty sure both are circling around the Southgate Sears like vultures!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

If Sears can't pull a miracle out of a hat imagine how many malls are going to have a huge empty spaces where the stores used to be. Then taking months (if not years) for some other retailer to move in. Does not bode well for any big retail malls.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I don't think Sears has much gas left in the tank. As Dave said, Sears store still exist to this day because they've been slowly liquidating their real estate over the past decade.

There is talk recently about Bay looking at selling some of their buildings as well - and you know Bay is heading down the same direction.

Former middle class stores all disappearing, these days you either shop at smaller, expensive stores that charge big cake or for many go to discount stores like Wal-Mart.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

No department stores have much left in the tank & even the much-vaunted Nordstrom's is seeing their growth come primarily from online sales & their discount/outlet sub-brand, not the flagship mainline retail stores that some people here are clamoring for.

Nordstrom’s full-price business, including both U.S. full-line stores open at least a year and Nordstrom.com, saw net sales fall 2.8 percent. Its comparable sales decreased 2.9 percent from a year ago.
    The company’s off-price business, meanwhile, saw its net sales increase a healthy 10.7 percent. That segment, which includes both Nordstrom Rack stores and the online Nordstromrack.com and HauteLook, had comparable sales rise 4.3 percent.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ontinue-slide/

The department store's days are done. Retail (especially malls) will need to adapt to a much smaller pool of large anchor tenants & swapping one dinosaur out for another is a short term fix at best. High-end, low-end, doesn't matter. The shift to online, combined with the shift in spending habits across generations from stuff to experiences is enough to sap their margins & make the business unviable, long-term.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I think an interesting development lately are the places offering to measure you up, then you order online. Basically, you can get a tailor made suit, or a very well fitting one off the rack if you fit nicely into the normal sizes, without all the department store hassle. I ordered a suit from the Bay which was direct shipped from the factory on-line - so the Bay is at least dipping into this type of "technology".
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-06-2017 at 02:33 PM.

^I don't think thats true anymore. There are smaller retail stores that are not that expensive. Giant Tiger is making inroads, Ardene's etc is not really expensive. Sure sometimes the quality is not as good but sometimes you can find a very nice outfit that gives you lots of wear. Even places like Costco sell jeans/dress pants/tops/some work clothes/workout clothes etc for very good prices. Wal-Mart, well that store is just getting worse. Was at a Walmart the other day and if I don't go again for another year it will be no great miss.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Not a good example Gems.

From what Top_Dawg has seen, Big Pussy has shuttered more stores in E-town than what remains open.

Only place they may be doing well is in smaller centers, mainly in Ontario.

Well let's hope Big Pussy in Clairview holds it own because it's not bad for some items even if you do get one summers wear out of an item. Anyway, usually by then it's gone out of style. Some people get the vapors when told the item they are wearing was just so yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Wal-Mart, well that store is just getting worse. Was at a Walmart the other day and if I don't go again for another year it will be no great miss.
    I loathe Wal Mart and only go when I need laundry detergent or there's a sale on mega-packs of toilet paper.

Big Pussy LOL now I've seen everything on this forum hahah
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

^Well I get my detergent etc. from Costco and it suits me fine. Walmart has no real competition in it's category so it seems to be doing it's own thing in retail. Trouble is people still flock to it even though the merchandise is getting more expensive and the quality is in the tank. The service is appalling and the stores look like a hurricane has gone through them. Retail Hell at it's finest.

And today they have filed for bankruptcy.
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/22/news...tcy/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

Indeed. They are a business case example of a company not evolving even when they are naturally poised to take advantage of the next marketing wave and opportunity.

But its much more than that.

For years trying to buy anything in a Sears at all was a headache. In Southgate several times I have intended to buy something only to find all the sales kiosks empty. It got to the point they would have one open on the floor with Mens wear. That would be occupied by a long line, or somebody trying to return an item and arguing for 15mins that the color of the shirt doesn't look the same in the sun and they hate it.., or when the cashier is actually off helping some customer navigate to the hidden escalator (sarcasm).

But seriously. I'm not going to wait 15mins to give you my money. Anywhere. I just don't do that. The pile of assorted stuff that you see in the vicinity of a cashier station at any sears is not clever assorted product placement its disgusted customers that would have spent that just left the stuff there and walked out.

I said to the wife a few times its impossible to exist as a marketing operation if you make payment an arduous process. Sears was worse for this than the Former ALCB stores or Consumers Distributors for those that have been around awhile.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    No department stores have much left in the tank & even the much-vaunted Nordstrom's is seeing their growth come primarily from online sales & their discount/outlet sub-brand, not the flagship mainline retail stores that some people here are clamoring for.

Nordstrom’s full-price business, including both U.S. full-line stores open at least a year and Nordstrom.com, saw net sales fall 2.8 percent. Its comparable sales decreased 2.9 percent from a year ago.
    The company’s off-price business, meanwhile, saw its net sales increase a healthy 10.7 percent. That segment, which includes both Nordstrom Rack stores and the online Nordstromrack.com and HauteLook, had comparable sales rise 4.3 percent.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ontinue-slide/

The department store's days are done. Retail (especially malls) will need to adapt to a much smaller pool of large anchor tenants & swapping one dinosaur out for another is a short term fix at best. High-end, low-end, doesn't matter. The shift to online, combined with the shift in spending habits across generations from stuff to experiences is enough to sap their margins & make the business unviable, long-term.
    Just a related point that present day marketing and bricks and mortar merchandising exists on impulse and visibility. With products and stores that are most visible, and in the highest traffic areas, being the most successful per sq ft retailers. That's true in any mall. The Department stores in most any mall are located and terminal spots in the mall and as at WEM in the least busy places in the Mall. The dinosaur phase 1 of WEM foretold, basically, the fate of department stores. Other than the Bay the other Department area has been a corporate grave yard in that phase 1 area.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Several stores are closing too, including some in the Edmonton area
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...ccaa-1.4172736
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Wal-Mart, well that store is just getting worse. Was at a Walmart the other day and if I don't go again for another year it will be no great miss.
    I loathe Wal Mart and only go when I need laundry detergent or there's a sale on mega-packs of toilet paper.

Can someone explain "Big Pussy" to me as it relates to retail stores? I know how it relates to other subjects(feline pets, of course).

^Giant Tiger has been a discount retailer here in recent decades albeit it too is using up its 9 lives. Its another retailer going extinct.

Big Sabre toothed tiger as it were.

edit. I just wanted to answer fast so the thread didn't veer into a NSFW direction, haha

Giant Tiger.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Bay is very likely to follow Sears lead, just not as quick. Go into any Bay that's not its flagship store and the stores are deserted.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Colossal Cougar.

As everyone laughs at Walmart they grow and grow with new stores going up along the freeways of the world. Walmart has put literally millions of small businesses out of business and now it's hitting the big ones too. Hate Walmart but you will need to shop there eventually when that's all that's left. lol. You're one stop shop. It's the General Store of this era.

List of Alberta closures is below. Another fall out not on the list as its backroom operations will be in Calgary where Sears has one of their "National" Logistic Centres that employs between 120 full time and up to 200 with seasonal workers will be reduced to nothing or gonzo.

Sears Full-Line Department Stores
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Grande Prairie, AB
    Lloydminster, AB
    Red Deer Relocation, AB

Sears Home
    Calgary, AB
    Edmonton Skyview, AB

Hometown
    Cold Lake, AB
    St. Albert, AB
    Okotoks, AB
    Spruce Grove, AB
    Ft. McMurray, AB
    Leduc, AB
    Sherwood Park, AB

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...630136913.html

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Hate Walmart but you will need to shop there eventually when that's all that's left.
    Haven't set foot in one in > 5 years & haven't spent a dime in one in well over a decade & have even less desire to shop there now than I did when I made the concerted effort to stop.

As everyone laughs at Walmart they grow and grow with new stores going up along the freeways of the world. Walmart has put literally millions of small businesses out of business and now it's hitting the big ones too. Hate Walmart but you will need to shop there eventually when that's all that's left. lol. You're one stop shop. It's the General Store of this era.
    I love wallmart ! Good prices and for anyone who ever needed work out of town , mainly during the boom when we couldn't find a place to stay . Wallmart welcome our RV'S and Campers. Forever loyal to wallmart , they really care . Unlike others who call bylaw , want us pay parking , over inflated prices ...hope they go bankrupt .

Wallmart the best of the best !

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post

Can someone explain "Big Pussy" to me as it relates to retail stores? I know how it relates to other subjects(feline pets, of course).
    Top Dawg (being Top Dawg) changed the name Giant Tiger to Big Pussy for the heck of it. Just think about it for a while and a light bulb might go on.

I've taken to buying some clothes off Amazon. Had a favorite Marc Jocobs jacket that was originally bought at Winners. Wanted another color so bought one through Amazon. Have bought purses through Amazon, brand named winter boots etc. If a person knows the correct size to buy Amazon could have it.

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    I love wallmart ! Good prices and for anyone who ever needed work out of town , mainly during the boom when we couldn't find a place to stay . Wallmart welcome our RV'S and Campers. Forever loyal to wallmart , they really care . Unlike others who call bylaw , want us pay parking , over inflated prices ...hope they go bankrupt

Wallmart the best of the best !
    I will have to say you're not the only one as billions flock there. I really like the camping thing too. When I was working in Drumheller they built the Walmart and Town Council was up in arms because they allowed free camping in their parking lot. Drumheller is a tourist town with big expensive campgrounds. The Town took on Walmart but lost. Kudos to Walmart for saving people money.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-06-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Amazon is rolling out improvements to make it pretty seamless, even if you don't know your exact size. You can order a range of sizes & colours, they'll toss 'em in a box, ship them to you with a return label. Try on the stuff when you get it, send what you don't want back & then they'll charge you only for what you keep (less a discount if you end up keeping more than a certain number of items). Between online made-to-measure, made-on-demand & solutions like Amazon's pilot project for labels/designer stuff it's a good time to be a tech-savvy shopper.

I have related this story before, but it bears repeating. They actually had a sale of small appliance at the W E M store a while back and the savings on a toaster was 11cents. In my years of retail experience, that screams stupidity.

It is real good of Walmart to let campers stay in their parking lots. They obviously would not do this if it was not to their advantage. Overall though Walmarts merchandise has got more expensive and the quality has taken a nose dive (not that the quality was ever that great). The appeal of Walmart for campers is that they can buy a lot of their supplies (including food) at Walmart and do not have to stop off at 10 different places to get what they want. Plus it they are off to the lake the quality of the 'stuff' does not have to be that great as it could get wrecked/lost anyway.

The consumer is always right and why this ' Utopia ' idea isn't going to work. People don't want to pay for parking . They want their Wallmarts, they will buy from Amazon

Heck . With these reality glasses they now have come out you can virtually play , explore . ...download a movie . If anything ...they want to return to nature . Get away from the rules regulations, cash cows .

The elite talk of a 30 hour work week. Less work , less stress ....humans aren't meant to be caged up , treated as sardines

^Less work, less stress, less wages

^Less work, less stress, less wages
    Yes. And those who took on 30 year mortgages , expecting a certain amount of hours , a certain wage ...be in for a huge awakening , including this bloated burocracy...To think things will be the way it is for 30-40 years is beyond crazy .
    Last edited by champking; 22-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.

^Yeah, people were probably saying that during the great industrial revolution.

^Yeah, people were probably saying that during the great industrial revolution.
    A different time . Technology now , primarily due to the Internet is out pacing humans by leaps and bounds . 5 years ago if I talk about autonomous cars ...people say it wasn't possible , it was 40 -50 years away.

All the heavy hauler drivers up north I try warn them , it be automated and they wouldn't belive . Now look.

We even see it with Oilfield . The people aren't taking the time to diversify their skills, they sitting around, waiting for things to pick up.

They say 50% of white color ( conservatively) be replaced in next 5 years .

Best way through it is become self sustainable . Generate own power, grow own food . Less dependence on system . Sure you work less but your not paying those bills either
    Last edited by champking; 22-06-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^ who is "they"
    They being the elite , the establishment , the media .

Google 'white collar jobs automated 'https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3982466
    Last edited by champking; 22-06-2017 at 01:20 PM.

The elite, the establishment, the media say "50% of white color ( conservatively) be replaced in next 5 years . " Where is the white color going to go? What color will replace white? Blue? Black? Green? Orange? Purple?

Jokes aside, that may include you Matt. A tremendous amount of job losses is predicted. I've heard a 50% figure mentioned on the news myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    The elite, the establishment, the media say "50% of white color ( conservatively) be replaced in next 5 years . " Where is the white color going to go? What color will replace white? Blue? Black? Green? Orange? Purple?
    My welding shop as example . Was one of the first automated . Rather than hire welders , fitters , laborers . I found my machines didn't get tired , didn't need breaks , didn't get sick or hung over.

I would load the pipe myself and the machine would torch cut , to precision... I would have to fit it but then off to my machines ...again with perfection it be welded in record time , no repairs ...no costly mistakes ...

A shop of 20 guys /gals done by 1 man☺

Housing I see being done with a style of 3d printer ( already being done )

The robots will scavange/ mine the resources . Make the goods and products ..even till, plant and harvest our fields .

I see little need for human labor or jobs .

If a doctor can perform surgery a continent away with robots s . I can't see why it can't be done in our homes. I see robots being care givers , doing the laundry , cooking our meals , even cleaning the house.....it's not far away ☺

Retail outlets , banks , service industry ...no need for .
    Last edited by champking; 22-06-2017 at 01:34 PM.

I was reading an article about governments when they started to pick up the pace big time on computers. White collar workers all over the world worried about their jobs. Fast forward. Computerization and the storing of data created more paperwork, more forms, more print outs. In some countries governments got bigger to handle the tsunami of documents.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...l-intelligence We could be replaced by a robot or computer

I was reading an article about governments when they started to pick up the pace big time on computers. White collar workers all over the world worried about their jobs. Fast forward. Computerization and the storing of data created more paperwork, more forms, more print outs. In some countries governments got bigger to handle the tsunami of documents.
    Until computers take this over too
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.

No doubt robots and computerization will grow and get more sophisticated. Having said that I also think there will still be a need for a human touch in a lot of transactions. While robots and computers take on more roles there is always a chance for them to be hacked. Like companies that have had their data compromised hackers can and no doubt will bring things to a screeching holt if they want. If you have a company that has been hacked and they can't bring it under control there could be millions of dollars lost in productivity over a couple of days. Computer and robots are not fail proof.

No doubt robots and computerization will grow and get more sophisticated. Having said that I also think there will still be a need for a human touch in a lot of transactions. While robots and computers take on more roles there is always a chance for them to be hacked. Like companies that have had their data compromised hackers can and no doubt will bring things to a screeching holt if they want. If you have a company that has been hacked and they can't bring it under control there could be millions of dollars lost in productivity over a couple of days. Computer and robots are not fail proof.
    It's humans . Mostly within , employees doing the hacking , the stealing . Eliminate that problem there should be less Hacks....less risk . Less errors , less down time .

Like I said robots don't get tired , they don't get sick , they don't miss time or be hung over. ...we see greater efficiency . Better quality .

Oh, I was thrown off by your poor spelling. I thought the world was running out of white color. You mean White Collar jobs.

Man will continue to evolve as man has done before from the beginning of time. From the days of the agriculture revolution to industrial revolution, to what ever is happening today, we simply become more efficient, and those left behind will find new ways to earn their keep.

Not all things that are meant for efficiency are that popular. One instance is self serve check out. I go out of my way not to use them as usually I end up with something that is on sale but the sale price does not show up etc. I'm sure there will come a day when we will have no choice but to use them. I'm dreading a big shopping load, it's Xmas, the line-ups are long and then the tills go down. Hate to have to pee in a container go to a machine and have it tell me how my health is then write me a prescription. At some point there has to be a human involved in transactions. Machines cannot do or tell us everything.

Not all things that are meant for efficiency are that popular. One instance is self serve check out. I go out of my way not to use them as usually I end up with something that is on sale but the sale price does not show up etc. I'm sure there will come a day when we will have no choice but to use them. I'm dreading a big shopping load, it's Xmas, the line-ups are long and then the tills go down. Hate to have to pee in a container go to a machine and have it tell me how my health is then write me a prescription. At some point there has to be a human involved in transactions. Machines cannot do or tell us everything.
    I use to think the same up till about 2009 when I saw the so called 'solidarity ' so called brothers throw each other under the bus . It pushed me to automate and saw the benefits .
    Personally I use the self check out , unless it don't take cash . Our youth they love the self check out , see the newer McDonald's they order from touch screen.

My parents thought same way till I show them amazon , now retired they don't want come to city ...it's too inconvenient , too much stress, too much hassle

The future will be friendly ☺

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/917795523247124480
    Sears seeks to liquidate all remaining stores. Pending court approval, process expected to begin Oct. 19. BG: http://cbc.ca/1.4319040
    Sears says it is forced to liquidate after failing to find buyer. Retailer has been operating under creditor protection since summer.

Sears Canada to ask court for permission to liquidate all remaining stores
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...ourt-1.4347765

Sears Canada said Tuesday it plans to seek court approval to begin liquidation of all of its remaining stores and assets.

"Sears Canada, with the recommendation of its advisers and approval of the Monitor, FTI Consulting Inc., is seeking an order to commence a liquidation that would result in a wind-down of its business following court approval," Sears Canada said in a release.

"The company deeply regrets this pending outcome and the resulting loss of jobs and store closures," the retailer said.

Sears Canada said that if it get the court's approval to begin the process, it is expected that liquidation sales at retail locations would start no earlier than Oct. 19 and continue for 10 to 14 weeks," the company said.

Sears Canada has been in court-approved creditor protection since June 22.

... and another one bites the dust
    Non semper erit aestas

I wonder what malls will bring in as anchor stores when Sears is gone. Will Kingsway finally bite the bullet and bring Walmart into the space, or will some other retailer step up?

^probably, as there is already a Superstore nearby. I imagine Superstore and Walmart are licking their lips looking over the potential locations from this, I think they are the only two that are growing fast enough.

Sears has been slowly getting worse over the years. You cannot find staff, the dressing rooms are a disaster. I wont miss that store. I feel sorry for smaller places that are quite busy..

Yah Sears has been pathetic for quite a few years, no real reason to shop there. Rest assured Southgate, Kingsway will try to court Simons, Nordstrom and similar stores to try and fill the hole. Obviously WEM won't be trying to get another Simons. Bonnie Doon has bigger issues, and will probably do a significant renovation, perhaps de-malling when Sears pulls out and the LRT construction significantly starts.

A lot of analysts blame online competitors for Sears' demise, but with the Sears catalog shopping they did for decades, they had all of the infrastructure and customer base in place to do what Amazon is currently doing LONG before Amazon even became a profitable company.

Oh well, rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Yah Sears has been pathetic for quite a few years, no real reason to shop there. Rest assured Southgate, Kingsway will try to court Simons, Nordstrom and similar stores to try and fill the hole. Obviously WEM won't be trying to get another Simons. Bonnie Doon has bigger issues, and will probably do a significant renovation, perhaps de-malling when Sears pulls out and the LRT construction significantly starts.
    Its too bad, but Sears really never really quite made it past the 20th Century. Their tank was empty and they were just running on fumes for a number of years now.

This could be a bonanza for Simons. I think either Kingsway or Southgate would be quite good for them. Nordstrom is quite upscale,at least price wise, so I really doubt they would want Kingsway, which is not in a very upscale area. They may go to West Ed first, although Southgate may be as good a choice for them too. If they are smart, they might do both - getting an anchor location in Southgate might be too good an opportunity to miss.

Sears actually started an ecommerce site in the late 90s to supplement the catalog business, but then they got into the department store business by acquiring Eaton's when they went belly up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Its too bad, but Sears really never really quite made it past the 20th Century. Their tank was empty and they were just running on fumes for a number of years now.

This could be a bonanza for Simons. I think either Kingsway or Southgate would be quite good for them. Nordstrom is quite upscale,at least price wise, so I really doubt they would want Kingsway, which is not in a very upscale area. They may go to West Ed first, although Southgate may be as good a choice for them too. If they are smart, they might do both - getting an anchor location in Southgate might be too good an opportunity to miss.

If Nordstrom wasn't interested in WEM's Target space, I doubt they would be interested in WEM's Sears space. They likely want the Southgate Sears space.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 10-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Sears actually started an ecommerce site in the late 90s to supplement the catalog business, but then they got into the department store business by acquiring Eaton's when they went belly up.
    Wrong. Sears department stores have been around for decades, long before Eaton's demise. They were Simpson-Sears until about the early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Wrong. Sears department stores have been around for decades, long before Eaton's demise. They were Simpson-Sears until about the early 80s.
    I believe Sears was an original anchor tenant at WEM, with Eatons at the other end of the 1st Phase. As far as I know, the Kingsway and Bonnie Doon spaces were theirs from the beginning too. They took over some high profile Eatons spaces elsewhere in Canada, but not as much here.

Sears could have easily translated their catalog model to an e-commerce model, where you pick up your order at a store or it could be shipped to you in the 1990s, but they stubbornly resisted.

Unfortunately the CEO Eddie Lampert has taken money out of the company rather then investing in necessary improvements, here is a good analysis of some of the problems created by Lampert
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-e...to-fail-2017-5

I remember going to Sears with my parents in the 1960's in the location that is now the NAIT Engineering Technologies Annex building. Sears has been in Edmonton for a very long time.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I remember going to Sears with my parents in the 1960's in the location that is now the NAIT Engineering Technologies Annex building. Sears has been in Edmonton for a very long time.
    We’re they all Simpson Sears back then?

More here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Canada
    Excerpt:
    “1952 (joint venture of Simpson's and Sears)”
    Last edited by KC; 11-10-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Sears could have easily translated their catalog model to an e-commerce model, where you pick up your order at a store or it could be shipped to you in the 1990s, but they stubbornly resisted.

Unfortunately the CEO Eddie Lampert has taken money out of the company rather then investing in necessary improvements, here is a good analysis of some of the problems created by Lampert
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-e...to-fail-2017-5
    I was surprised to learn that Hudson's Bay does 50% of their sales online. I wonder what was Sears online business. Bricks and mortar retail stores are in real trouble industry wide.

I buy very little online but am changing my habits. I went looking for prescription glasses yesterday and found a pair at a store that they wanted $1,100 for the package and 10 day delivery. I quickly found one online in Canada that offered the exact same package for $515 and 7 days delivery and a 100 day replacement guarantee. And that was just my first check on glasses. Saving $500 is a real impetus for me to do more online shopping. i will pay a little extra to keep retail stores in business because I value good service but I refuse to pay DOUBLE.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

sears at bonnie doon closed a year ago already.

what sears canada should have done was just focus on the Craftsmen and Kenmore lines. For an in-house brand, they did pretty well over the years.

I'm slightly sad because I was ready to pull the trigger on their $90 down parkas this year for winter...

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    We’re they all Simpson Sears back then?

More here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Canada
    Excerpt:
    “1952 (joint venture of Simpson's and Sears)”
    Yes. I see no real difference between Simpsons-Sears and Sears. To me it is just a name change

If you remember that then you must be older than dirt like Top_Dawg.

I remember dad driving into the underground parking lot and taking the elevator into the store without going outside. That was neato

That building is gone now I thought ? Or was it just extensively renovated ? Good times riding the freight elevator up to class, and smoking like a chimney in the Dock - never had to even light a smoke!!

Extensively remodeled

i remember being given a ride on the old freight elevator in the Army & Navy building on 97th street. Scary thing as a young kid.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 11-10-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Maybe Target could fill the void Sears is leaving. Oh wait.........................

Or Zellers?

Woolco?

Eatons?

Woodwards?

Anyone see a trend?

Anyone surprised?

Actually if Target had not went gang busters and opened all their stores at once in Canada they may have survived. Start with one or two stores, Sears goes under, open a few more in closed Sears locations. Target would have been more competition to Walmart. Please lawd, we don't need any more crappy Walmarts anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ... what sears canada should have done was just focus on the Craftsmen and Kenmore lines. For an in-house brand, they did pretty well over the years. ...
    Yes, Canadian Tire has survived by working on their strengths and Sears did the opposite.

Sears relegated the popular Craftsmen and Kenmore lines to the back corner of the second floor and put in a maze of perfume counters at the main floor entrance just to annoy you.

Men's clothing choices were always fuddy-duddy (Arnold Palmer line) while The Bay opened mini-boutiques like Joseph Abboud and Hugo Boss.

Gross mismanagement

So have we reached a natural balance for a while, eg, The Bay will probably survive for a while at least. They seem to be mid tier and their stuff seems decent. If they go under, it would hurt I think.

Actually if Target had not went gang busters and opened all their stores at once in Canada they may have survived. Start with one or two stores, Sears goes under, open a few more in closed Sears locations. Target would have been more competition to Walmart. Please lawd, we don't need any more crappy Walmarts anywhere.
    I made an extremely rare(for me) excursion into a Wal-Mart while visiting the Ottawa area last week. Contrary to the popular perception, I was NOT accosted by a zillion greeters at the door, and in fact, think I only saw one on-flloor staff person in the whole building.

Not saying that's good or bad, just pretty different from what I had been led to expect.

Or Zellers?

Woolco?

Eatons?

Woodwards?

Anyone see a trend?

Anyone surprised?
    I'm not but its a huge problem. The end of large retailers greatly impacts any remaining Mall development. How do you now have anchors, how do you repurpose those spaces, how do you have that kind of longterm draw tenant? That's the problem from the retail angle. From the consumer angle we miss the retail options these places provide and that they had a range of stock, service, etc. We also miss out on retail that is closer by. The future, depressingly, seems to be more power centers and probably the death of Malls altogether. Not a good thing for a winter climate.

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    ... what sears canada should have done was just focus on the Craftsmen and Kenmore lines. For an in-house brand, they did pretty well over the years. ...
    Yes, Canadian Tire has survived by working on their strengths and Sears did the opposite.

Sears relegated the popular Craftsmen and Kenmore lines to the back corner of the second floor and put in a maze of perfume counters at the main floor entrance just to annoy you.

Men's clothing choices were always fuddy-duddy (Arnold Palmer line) while The Bay opened mini-boutiques like Joseph Abboud and Hugo Boss.

Gross mismanagement
    The Bay, on a retail basis isn't doing much better and its ironic you mention the perfume counter thing as its seemingly all that exists on a Bay on a mainfloor high traffic area. Sears had mens clothing options just like anybody else.

To me the thing that was really noticeable at any Sears was how few cashier stations would be operating. I realize its chicken and egg. Not many people buying so not much cashiers, but on the other hand looking through huge store to find the one cashier on that floor (second floor) was really stupid. I remember thinking how can a business exist if its hard for customers to find a place to pay for their items and then have to line up for 15minutes to buy something.

I made an extremely rare(for me) excursion into a Wal-Mart while visiting the Ottawa area last week. Contrary to the popular perception, I was NOT accosted by a zillion greeters at the door, and in fact, think I only saw one on-flloor staff person in the whole building.

Not saying that's good or bad, just pretty different from what I had been led to expect.

Did you spot any People of Walmart ?

Like this Gas Pump special ?

Walmart will start to have a monopoly on lower to mid-range price stores. I maybe go to Walmart four times a year and sometimes that's to many times. The prices seem to be going up but the quality is going down. Cheap plastic shoes, poor quality clothing that's made to last one season. I guess you get what you pay for.

^In terms of large format department stores, don't forget about Costco. Few people in my circle go to Walmart but many go to Costco which seems to carry pretty much everything.

The Bay itself is barely keeping its head above the water. But its Saks brand is keeping everything afloat.

The big thing is the Bay as a whole has a huge real estate portolio remaining (~$10bln USD) with prime locations and ownership of buildings in places New York and Toronto.

In the US, the per capita retail space is about 50% greater than in Canada. When you go south, you wonder how some department stores stay in business. Staff outnumbering customers 2 to 1

Meanwhile Walmart, Sam's Club and Costco parking lots are full.

Minimum wage in some states is 7.25USD.

The Bay itself is barely keeping its head above the water. But its Saks brand is keeping everything afloat.

The big thing is the Bay as a whole has a huge real estate portolio remaining (~$10bln USD) with prime locations and ownership of buildings in places New York and Toronto.
    I like the Bay, but the days of department stores are numbered, so I am not sure what all that prime, sometimes downtown, real estate will turn into. I think the future is:

- Amazon / on-line
    - Suburban outlets
    - E-commerce type demonstration and service outlets - where you go in and look at stuff you buy on-line - like Indochino / Apple store, etc.

It's official now - Sears is going bye bye
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...ties-1.4353011

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

That leaves some big vacancies at some of the local malls. I wonder what they have planned for those spaces. Sears has a lot of real estate sq. feet in the big three malls being WEM, Kingsway and Southgate. Any thoughts?

If big box is not the way of the future why not extend the mall into these areas and divide the stores into small shops.

I see that they are often just tearing down big empty spaces. So maybe these malls will have to downsize and even subdivide and sell off land for other uses. Look what happened to Heritage Mall.

I was briefly in the Bay Southgate Thursday night and it was surprisingly busy.
    Like sears, the real estate holdings have value but the old buildings can be real liability. First they try to lease them out then eventually tear them down - years pass and costs mount in the interim before rebuilding or sale so they are just unproductive assets.
    Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.

Bay Southgate is always busy. Same with any of their flagship stores. Their flagship stores have the best stock. The other non-flagship stores aren't doing so well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast