Thread: Rice Cooker Meals

Default Rice Cooker Meals

Hey everyone, loving this forum so far. It is so great to be able to talk to lots of people around the city, especially after spending so much time away. I just got back from spending a year in South East Asia and learned so, so much. The coolest thing I think I learnt though is how to cook some great rice cooker meals. I am talking things like curry, half chickens, pancakes, and so much more stuff. Seeing as this is for recipe sharing, I thought I would share my favourite recipe I learnt with you all, Massaman Curry. I prefer it with beef, but I have been doing it with chicken legs out here to save. You will need-

8 small chicken legs
    50g massaman curry paste
    1 cup thick coconut cream
    1 cup thin coconut cream
    50g potato, chopped
    50g onion, chopped
    cup roast peanuts, chopped
    1 cube stock cube
    1 tablespoon tamarind paste
    1 tablespoons palm sugar
    2-3 bay leaves
    cup roast cardamom

Pour the paste and the thick coconut cream into the rice cooker and put it on steam/warm. Stir it together and put the lid on, then let cook for about 20 minutes. Then stir in the rest of the ingredients, mix it all together and close the lid, putting it on cook for about one hour. If you have a cheaper rice cooker like I did, you might have to give the rice cooker a break after thinning the milk and paste so that it doesn't shut off.

I also have a question for everyone after sharing that lovely recipe. I want to get a proper Japanese rice cooker now that I am back, and I am having trouble finding a good one in stores. Can anyone recommend somewhere that I could buy one from online perhaps? I am looking for one with a bunch of different options and buttons compared to the one I have now that only has warm and cook. Thanks in advance and I hope you all enjoy the recipe!

Thanks for the recipe.

One of my recipe pet peeves though is hard to source ingredients. I have all kinds of Curry paste. I am unfamiliar, specifically with massaman curry paste and haven't seen this even in my local East Indian shops.

Coconut cream? I see coconut milk all over but less familiar with cream version. Would Coconut milk do?

Palm sugar? That's another odd one. Would other sugars do? Never seen this one available.

Finally roast cardamom. I have ground cardamom spice. Not sure if its roasted.

In sum recipes like this are somewhat needlessly complicated. jmo but good recipes should contain fairly standard ingredients that are easily available. Really the first thing I check before buying any cookbook is that they don't contain a lot of obscure and hard to source ingredients. I'm random and impulsive with cooking. Don't want to have to go on two shopping excursions just to find ingredients for one one recipe.

I would try this, but not if I have to fill my kitchen with multiple items I would rarely use.

Sorry if that sounds negative.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

That is just an issue with doing ethnic dishes. Unless the region the dishes comes from shares a lot of ingredients with western cooking then a lot of people won't have them in their kitchen. There are a couple good Asian supermarkets I went to in town, The Silk Road Spice Merchant is one of my favorites but can be more expensive then the more traditional Asian supermarkets like Lucky and T&T. Sometimes I have to get some of the more unique spices on Amazon, but I imagine this is how it used to be if you wanted to cook a lot of Indian food 15 years ago. If you are looking for substitutions so you can still try to recipe, I would recommend possibly making some ingredients at home if you cannot find them in shop. Coconut cream can be made by simmering shredded coconut with water, and massaman paste can be made although the process can be a little intimidating if you have not made a curry paste before. The palm sugar can be substituted, I would just try to avoid white sugar. Of course, you could make a similar curry with green curry paste or something like that in the rice cooker if that seems more manageable. Thanks for taking the time to look through it anyways.

Thanks for hearing the comments. I live in Millwoods so even being Caucasian I've inherited an interest in, and love of Indian dishes. Some of which I am able to make. While I enjoy cooking, and have a ton of spices and ingredients around I do try to limit it so it doesn't take over the kitchen. heh.

That aside I do prefer recipes and cookbooks that are intentionally using easier sourced ingredients. The reality in busy days is being able to prepare something kind of on the fly. Personally I pride myself on creating menus, meals, out of whats in the kitchen. Or in the garden. I love that. So I'm kind of the opposite culinary speaking. I don't shop and then cook. I cook when I have the time and with whats available.

As far as curries go I have around 20 spices that typically go in a curry. Mostly how I use is to start out heating the spices in Oil and onions/garlic which gets them to start to release. I don't typically make a paste, albeit ends up being a paste if I later use some tomato base or some such base addition.

As far as available spices all the East Indian stores in Millwoods and on 34ave have them, and always have. I started out doing these dishes in the 80's. Never been a problem with getting them and at much cheaper prices in some of the stores, you have to look around. I would actually stay away from places like Silkroad which will really cost you a lot more than you have to pay.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

If you look at the back of cans of coconut milk, the range of "thickness" is surprisingly wide.

I have a lot of spices, including cardamom. They really come in handy when I'm entertaining. I leave the cupboard door open for an hour before guests arrive, and my place smells like I know how to cook.

Thanks for the recipe. I make a lot of curries. Just about every day. I do lots of substituting, and it's still never fail for me. I make a killer Green Curry Chicken that is closer to a stew than a delicate Thai recipe.

I'm going to try some rice cooker recipes. I make rice every day, and have it with most meals, a consequence of having a long time girlfriend from Philippines. My rice cooker is going all of the time.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I find parboiled rice works particularly well in a rice cooker. Fluffs up really nicely and not sticky rice due to less starch in it. Not sure if theres a lot less nutrients in it...
    Thanks for the info on coconut milk, learn something new all the time. I love Cardamom too.

I can't get enough rice. Loved it since I was a kid. Now that I'm diagnosed Celiac I love it even more. It always agreed with me. I was never correctly diagnosed earlier in life. I just always realized rice agreed with me, and a lot o other foods didn't.

I don't really have any great rice cooker meals but related, I like to use a double boiler to cook multiple things at once. Steamers work well for that as well and I love the ability to layer cook the whole meal just boiling water. like many people I also use rice cooker to do steam veggies. But not fish. I find the taste and smell of fish will absorb.

Just another comment but I love putting spinach in some of the curries, works particularly well in a vegetable or potato type curry. Spinach just blends in so nicely. Time to pick some more from the garden, locally sourced ingredient, haha.

I'm a big fan of curries and rice dishes. I got a rice cooker as a gift a couple of years ago and experimented with different rice. Brown rice being one of my favorites. One trick is to make a big batch of your favorite curry in a large slow cooker. Then put the curry dish in smaller containers and freeze. When needed unthaw the dish separately and then make the rice. That way you have fresh rice for your meal.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'm a big fan of curries and rice dishes. I got a rice cooker as a gift a couple of years ago and experimented with different rice. Brown rice being one of my favorites. One trick is to make a big batch of your favorite curry in a large slow cooker. Then put the curry dish in smaller containers and freeze. When needed unthaw the dish separately and then make the rice. That way you have fresh rice for your meal.
    I'm going to try brown rice. How is it with a curry?

I like recipes, but more for general ideas. I never use a recipe unless I'm trying something really different, for the first time. It's wild how much my actual recipe can vary, and it still tastes pretty much the same.

I usually make a lot of curried red lentils at a time, and freeze most of it in small containers like you do. Very handy. I usually have some in the fridge. Never even considered lentils until last year, and now I love them. I like the red best, but green are good too. I'm accidentally becoming a vegetarian.

I buy the big sack of Rooster Brand Jasmine Rice, from Thailand. Rinse twice, or until water runs semi clear. Fake news stories about Rooster Brand including "plastic rice" and having "radiation" test the limits of human stupidity.

There's a powdered (curry) mixture for rice I buy from the Halal store on 107 ave near my place. Can't remember the name, but I use it a lot (I'm out right now). I also usually use homemade stock to replace some of the water for the rice. Better Than Boullion is pretty good too. Sometimes I add tomato paste, and sometimes coconut milk.

I often add a little Garam Masala to my curries. A little goes a long way. I often add a little Ethiopian Berbere powder. Then things like lemon grass and lime leaves can make it an even stranger world mix. Oyster sauce, fish sauce (a tiny bit - I don't like fish), soy sauce, and sometimes a little vinegar at the end.

I always start with chopped onion and garlic. I like Mae Ploy Green Curry paste a lot. The red and yellow are good too. I think I saw massaman curry paste in the Dollar Store, of all places. I always grind my spices, including peppercorns and chiles, with a mortar and pestle. I have whole turmeric, but that stuff is hard as rock, so now I use powdered. Cumin, of course. Fresh ginger.

If I'm using anything with tomatoes, I'll usually put a little sugar in, to take the sharp edge off.

I have cardamom, but I've never used it. I hear it's good with rice.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^I usually use brown rice and add things like shrimps, cashews, green peas, onions etc. to it. White rice to me seems more suited to curry dishes with chicken, beef in them. I guess it's just preferential tastes. I make a lot of soups with lentils as I have a vegetarian in the family but unfortunately curry spices do not agree with them. When I make curry I just stick to what I know with curry powder. You seem streets ahead of me but I suppose that is your GF influence. If I cannot make the sauces or mix the spices I find there are some pretty good pre-mixed sauces out there but I'm sure if I had the know how I would be making a lot of them myself. There was show on TV where this family were looking for a house and they told the real estate agent they wanted a house that had a kitchen and also a spice kitchen as well. I guess it's the same in some Jewish families, they have a regular kitchen and a kosher kitchen. A couple of months back I bought a big bag of basmati rice. It's long grained and has a subtle nutty flavor. It is gluten-free and low in fat. It contains all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and is very low in sodium and has no cholesterol. Not sure how that stack against other rice but that can't be bad. Seems like there is a world of different rice out there but westerners seems to either go for long grain, white or brown. I'm the biggest fan in the family of curries so it's only once in a while I get to make them.

Oh, and I was watching a cooking program on TV a couple of weeks back and the guy was making some cauliflower rice (yes, with cauliflower). It looked real interesting and one day I am going to try it out. More veggies and less calories. Winning.

Brown rice is great. I use it as an accompaniment for stir fries, meals, just as a side and yeah it works great with onions, also peanuts in a Kung Pao Chicken kind of dish.

I like jasmine rice as well. Frankly I haven't met a rice I haven't liked, albeit sticky rice is my least favorite cooked rice.

Just a shout out to a place here in Millwoods that make great rice. Noodle Xtreme. Just North of MWTC. They have stir fries and such. Lemongrass, or the Cashew Chicken dish are pretty good. Their rice is always perfectly prepared. it really sets off their dishes. So many places can't do something as simple as make perfect rice. They also put lots of veggies in and lots of meat. Dishes are a bit on pricy side but huge portions. Around 14bucks for a huge plate of Cashew Chicken for example. But worth it when you don't feel like cooking. They should call it Rice Xtreme.

https://www.zomato.com/edmonton/noodle-xtreme-millwoods
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-06-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Oh, and I was watching a cooking program on TV a couple of weeks back and the guy was making some cauliflower rice (yes, with cauliflower). It looked real interesting and one day I am going to try it out. More veggies and less calories. Winning.
    Veggies is winning. Always loved veggies. I just eat too much. To me stir fries are a great way to get veggies in my diet or salads or soups or stews or..

I like food, a bit too much, heh

Most restaurants serve veggies as an after thought. Which is odd. To me it makes or breaks the meal. A lot of places in Edmonton emphasize big *** meat portions and less veggies and sides. That doesn't really do it for me. I stick to recommended meat size portions (small) and to me the sides is what sets it off. Thus loving stuff like rice and veggies. Used to be a vegetarian at one point.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-06-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Well on day I will make that cauliflower rice. The guy was making it with a curry sauce and I think shrimp. With shrimp you have to make a light sauce as a strong spice will drown out the very subtle flavor of shrimps. Sweet and sours, another great flavor with chicken and rice. When it comes to food I think I am from the wrong ancestors, European. I like Asian food. There is a show on the Gusto channel with Gok Wan. He goes all over the world and checks out Asian food and Asian food that has taken on other influences. It's real interesting. Some great dishes. He has cook books. Don't want to get to into it though as I will be 400 lbs. before you know it.

I go way back to a local program called "Wok with Yan" even bought his cookbook as a teen. German and Luxembourg parents and I wanted to make Asian food all day. I learned to cook from that cookbook.

^
    Long before the Food Network, Stephen Yan was one of Canada's first celebrity chefs.

Good ol' Wok with Yan.

What a blast from the past.

Brings back fond memories of when Top_Dawg used to do collections for his paper routes.

Only to witness all the single worthogs on welfare, sprawled on their couches, totally absorbed by this oriental novelty, while their snot nose kids run wild in the streets.

And right after, the afternoon soaps came on.

At which point, out came the vibrators, revved on super high, as they worked their pudendum to shuddering climax.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I used to like his shows. Way better then the Bam man.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

^I could see people taking his show now as stereotypical and that he over emphasized pronunciation challenges and such but this was the same time period as the "Swedish Chef" on the muppets and people weren't so uptight and interested in taking offense to everything at the time.

my own experience with Wok with Yan is he consistently put a smile on my face during a difficult period in my life growing up. He even fostered an interest in cooking that was first incubated by Graham Kerr who had a completely different type of presentation.

Just thinking of Yan again put a smile on my face. He felt like a friend. Few TV characters are ever able to reach that level.

Wan and Yan are two different people. It's not 'Wok with Wan' it was 'Wok with Yan'. Sure they could have made it easy on everybody to call Wan's show 'Wok with Wan' but people growing up with 'Wok with Yan' are now at the age where they are easily confused. Wan does cook with a wok but his show is not called 'Gok with a Wok' like Yan's show was not called 'Yan with a Pan'. I suppose Wan's show could have be called 'Gok with a Wok' but 'Stephen with a Wok' does not have the same ring to it. A wok is a pan and not to be confused with Wan or Yan as neither of their shows were called 'Pan with Wan' or 'Pan with Yan'. Just remember a simple rule, Wan/Yan both had pans, Gok has a wok like what Yan used as a pan but Goks wok is the only pan on TV. Yans pans are no more. Really, how hard can that be.

^What is this in reply to? Everybody in the thread said "Wok with Yan" Nobody confused him with whoever you were talking about. Just that I felt Yan was the best and remembered that great cooking show.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-07-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBearsRule View Post
    Hey everyone, loving this forum so far. It is so great to be able to talk to lots of people around the city, especially after spending so much time away. I just got back from spending a year in South East Asia and learned so, so much. The coolest thing I think I learnt though is how to cook some great rice cooker meals. I am talking things like curry, half chickens, pancakes, and so much more stuff. Seeing as this is for recipe sharing, I thought I would share my favourite recipe I learnt with you all, Massaman Curry. I prefer it with beef, but I have been doing it with chicken legs out here to save. You will need-

8 small chicken legs
    50g massaman curry paste
    1 cup thick coconut cream
    1 cup thin coconut cream
    50g potato, chopped
    50g onion, chopped
    cup roast peanuts, chopped
    1 cube stock cube
    1 tablespoon tamarind paste
    1 tablespoons palm sugar
    2-3 bay leaves
    cup roast cardamom

Pour the paste and the thick coconut cream into the rice cooker and put it on steam/warm. Stir it together and put the lid on, then let cook for about 20 minutes. Then stir in the rest of the ingredients, mix it all together and close the lid, putting it on cook for about one hour. If you have a cheaper rice cooker like I did, you might have to give the rice cooker a break after thinning the milk and paste so that it doesn't shut off.

I also have a question for everyone after sharing that lovely recipe. I want to get a proper Japanese rice cooker now that I am back, and I am having trouble finding a good one in stores. Can anyone recommend somewhere that I could buy one from online perhaps? I am looking for one with a bunch of different options and buttons compared to the one I have now that only has warm and cook. Thanks in advance and I hope you all enjoy the recipe!
    Glad this turned into such a big discussion. I hope that who ever managed to make this meal loved it. I will be trying to make some more of my rice cooker recipes to post on here if you all want, I have managed to get a really good Japanese Rice Cooker that was for sale on http://www.used.forsale/canada/edmonton and I have been able to make some really interesting things in it, like upside down cake and even lasagna.