Thread: How to suggest intersection change?

Question How to suggest intersection change?

There's a problematic intersection on a street in my neighborhood. Both intersecting streets are 2-lane (one per direction) with parking on both sides. The "main" road is unrestricted, ie, no stop sign. The intersecting road coming from smaller residential roads have stop signs.

There are 2 issues.

The main one being that in the morning and afternoon, there is a long line for people trying to turn left (northbound) onto this road because A) There are 2 schools south of this intersection, so there is lots of southbound traffic from school buses and the hundreds of parents driving their kids to school (apparently nobody takes buses anymore). And B) The people coming from the opposite street roll through their stop sign while turning right. This causes a lineup for everyone trying to turn left at this intersection because as soon as there is an opening, you can't go because the people turning right across the street take all the opportunities for themselves and rarely even come to a stop.

The second issue is speeding. The road is 50km/h but people are usually doing 60-70, and in the evening I've seen people blow past doing at least 80-90! Usually cheap "sports" cars and pickup trucks. This makes too much noise, and is unsafe considering there are children around. Also, turning left at this intersection makes it hard because you can't see down the road because of parked cars. All you can do is slowly inch out to get a view down the road, which sometimes results in seeing a car barreling down the road and then honking at you because your bumper is sticking out into the intersection... I've also seen 4 accidents at this intersection in the last 2.5 years.

TL;DR

I'd like to ask the city to change this intersection into a 4-way stop for reasons listed above. The next intersection to the south (about 300m south) was recently changed to a 4-way, and the one to the north comes to a stop sign at a main road.
    How can I request that the city look at changing this intersection? I couldn't find anything on the CoE website. Is this something you have to bring up in person at a city board meeting?

Thanks!

C2E Continued Contributor

311?

Definitely 311. I submitted an issue with a crosswalk and a guy from a city department left me 7 voicemails over the last month until I got around to calling him back, and we had a really good discussion around the issue, which is now escalated to his supervisor for further review.

So yeah, send in a 311 report. They look at them.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Definitely 311. I submitted an issue with a crosswalk and a guy from a city department left me 7 voicemails over the last month until I got around to calling him back, and we had a really good discussion around the issue, which is now escalated to his supervisor for further review.

So yeah, send in a 311 report. They look at them.
    So when did you submit your issue, and how long did it take for them to resolve it?

It's not resolved, but they tried contacting me I think the same day? My request would require some study, so I'm not expecting an immediate resolution. You won't get anywhere if you don't start by sending in your issue though.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Yep, it'll require a study which will take years. I know we've been asking for an intersection change at work for a year+ & we've been told a study is tentative for the fall & would take a number of months with decisions being onward from there.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Thanks, guys. I'll start with 311 and go from there.