Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: B.C. government to be led by NDP for the first time in 16 years

  1. #1
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,627

    Default B.C. government to be led by NDP for the first time in 16 years

    http://globalnews.ca/news/3566740/b-...lark-liberals/

    For the first time in 16 years, B.C. will see a new party hold the reins of government power.

    Lt.-Gov. Judith Guichon has invited NDP Leader John Horgan to attempt to form a government and test the confidence of the BC Legislature.

    The decision came just hours after Christy Clark’s BC Liberals were defeated in a confidence vote, in which the NDP-Green alliance’s 44 MLAs stood together against Clark’s 42 members.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  2. #2
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where ever the pilot takes me
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    I wonder how long it will be before BC goes back into deficit.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

  3. #3

    Default

    Devastating for Notely , no friends now.

  4. #4
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Crawford Plains, Millwoods since 1985
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    The BC NDP are a different beast indeed. Let's see how long until another "Pacificat" fiasco. Nice ferry but I'll take the sofa Queen of Cowichan anyday. For those in need of a reminder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PacifiCat-class_ferry
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

  5. #5
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,419

    Default

    There is no grace or humility left in this world. All those high fives on the legislature floor were embarrassing to watch.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  6. #6
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..
    I'm rooting for the NDP . Primarily to stop / prolong the pipeline . Don't like the idea of stripping top soil and giving it to the communists. ( strategic resource ).

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    All those high fives on the legislature floor were embarrassing to watch.
    Well that's how the left wing celebrates - they rub it in everyone's faces and suppress all forms of dissent or criticism when they are in control (they bully people into using only their politically-correct buzzwords, for example). And when they aren't in control they are violent (both physically and with their speech) when they don't get their way.

    Socialism/communism is a cancer.

  9. #9
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I don't even know anymore :/
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..
    i voted for them, so shoot me. Plenty of reasons to vote for change, not a lot of reasons to stay with the status quo. They weren't doing anything to help the average BCer.

  10. #10
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..
    I'm rooting for the NDP . Primarily to stop / prolong the pipeline . Don't like the idea of stripping top soil and giving it to the communists. ( strategic resource ).
    Good for you, there's a pipeline already there, plus, having just heard Horgan's list of promises, BC can't afford him!

  11. #11
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..

    i voted for them, so shoot me. Plenty of reasons to vote for change, not a lot of reasons to stay with the status quo. They weren't doing anything to help the average BCer.
    Let's hope they are better for BC than the last NDP government you had! lol A one seat advantage, do you think they will last? Nah...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Plenty of reasons to vote for change, not a lot of reasons to stay with the status quo. They weren't doing anything to help the average BCer.
    That's how the NDP won here in Alberta. A temporary political shake up now an then isn't a terrible thing (usually).

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Plenty of reasons to vote for change, not a lot of reasons to stay with the status quo. They weren't doing anything to help the average BCer.
    That's how the NDP won here in Alberta. A temporary political shake up now an then isn't a terrible thing (usually).
    Me thinks there be shake up within Liberal rank and file. There many greenies and those against pipelines within. Those in community's mostly opposed in be in their best interest to either cross floors or sit as independent.

    All the NDP need is few handfuls to cross floor and they be a majority ! any slick / opertunist politician would.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Devastating for Notely , no friends now.
    Only if we're talking about pipelines. Working together would help the NDP brand across the board, and I doubt they'll blow that opportunity.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..
    I'm rooting for the NDP . Primarily to stop / prolong the pipeline . Don't like the idea of stripping top soil and giving it to the communists. ( strategic resource ).
    The pipeline supplies Washington state, some BC refineries, and a dock in Burnaby. Virtually all of the tankers, which are small Aframax (so not that economic over long distances), from the dock, will go to California (replacing declining crude output from Alaska). It will also open capacity for more refined product to flow to B.C. and Washington. I guess California and B.C. though, are in fairness, almost communist states relative to Alberta.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2017 at 09:35 AM.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..
    I'm rooting for the NDP . Primarily to stop / prolong the pipeline . Don't like the idea of stripping top soil and giving it to the communists. ( strategic resource ).
    The pipeline supplies Washington state, some BC refineries, and a dock in Burnaby. Virtually all of the tankers, which are small Aframax (so not that economic over long distances), from the dock, will go to California (replacing declining crude output from Alaska). It will also open capacity for more refined product to flow to B.C. and Washington. I guess California and B.C. though, are in fairness, almost communist states relative to Alberta.
    Trump's ridding the many rules and regulations for drilling , Alaska the Arctic. Not only is the U.S readying for energy independence but energy dominance . Won't need Alberta crud it expensive and dirty .

  17. #17

    Default

    In his speech yesterday he said he wants more nuclear power in the USA, too.

    Canada needs to step up its energy game.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Poor BC, I can't imagine why some of them chose the NDP.
    I wish them luck, they're going to need it. Although, I see another election on the horizon fairly soon..
    I'm rooting for the NDP . Primarily to stop / prolong the pipeline . Don't like the idea of stripping top soil and giving it to the communists. ( strategic resource ).
    The pipeline supplies Washington state, some BC refineries, and a dock in Burnaby. Virtually all of the tankers, which are small Aframax (so not that economic over long distances), from the dock, will go to California (replacing declining crude output from Alaska). It will also open capacity for more refined product to flow to B.C. and Washington. I guess California and B.C. though, are in fairness, almost communist states relative to Alberta.
    Trump's ridding the many rules and regulations for drilling , Alaska the Arctic. Not only is the U.S readying for energy independence but energy dominance . Won't need Alberta crud it expensive and dirty .
    Just in time to stock up on a product that the rest of the planet is moving away from. GG Trump. I can't wait until he sees Merkel again so he can boast about how he'll sell oil direct to Germans to power their wind farms.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  19. #19

    Default

    Germany buys so much of Poland's coal that they don't need to buy any else's energy.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Just in time to stock up on a product that the rest of the planet is moving away from.
    Really? More oil was consumed on earth in 2016 than ever in human history - but yeah, if you imagine it so if must be true, mustn't it?...

    Underlying oil demand is growing for several reasons. The population is growing, the middle class is growing, automobile sales in developing countries are growing at a blistering pace, and the number of miles driven is reaching all-time highs.

    The implications are clear with respect to the peak demand argument. While many proponents are pushing the notion that peak demand is imminent, growth in EVs thus far hasn’t even been able to slow down oil demand growth.

    What peak demand will actually look like — assuming EV sales continue at exponential growth rates — is for oil demand growth to first slow down. What we may see is that in contrast to Bloomberg’s scenario of 2023 demand being two million BPD less than current demand, it might only be five million BPD higher than today’s demand (instead of seven, which assumes the growth rate of oil remains consistent). In fact, oil demand today is close to two million BPD higher than it was when Bloomberg made its forecast in February 2016.

    The bottom line is that even in a best case scenario for EV growth rates, demand for oil rose by 1.6 million BPD last year, and it’s projected to increase by 1.4 million BPD this year. It will take a few years of rapid EV growth to halt the growth rate for oil, and what that means — and what many peak demand proponents don’t get — is that peak demand for oil is going to be millions of BPD higher than current demand, and it’s almost certainly going to take place beyond 2023.
    http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil...-Peak-Oil.html
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2017 at 10:44 AM.

  21. #21
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,324

    Default

    All you need bad accident or weather that closes a road or ferry delay and the government can fall. NDP and Green have only 1 seat over the Liberals, even a dentist appointment could cause the government to fall.

    6 to 18 months is all I give it.

  22. #22
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,521

    Default

    The NDP can do a lot of damage in BC during their term. Maybe Christy Clark is done but the party will come back.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  23. #23
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    All you need bad accident or weather that closes a road or ferry delay and the government can fall. NDP and Green have only 1 seat over the Liberals, even a dentist appointment could cause the government to fall.

    6 to 18 months is all I give it.
    I dont give it very long..

  24. #24
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,324

    Default

    And if you figure that the Malahat is the ONLY road connecting the north island to Victoria, most of the north island is NDP. My guess is the NDP and Green will try and consult Liberals on pretty much every bill before it hits the house to see if the Liberals will vote for a bill or not. That is pretty much the only way the government will last any significant time.
    http://www.news1130.com/2017/05/09/v...esults-choice/

  25. #25
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    All those high fives on the legislature floor were embarrassing to watch.
    Well that's how the left wing celebrates - they rub it in everyone's faces and suppress all forms of dissent or criticism when they are in control (they bully people into using only their politically-correct buzzwords, for example). And when they aren't in control they are violent (both physically and with their speech) when they don't get their way.

    Socialism/communism is a cancer.
    Oh you mean how Jason Keeney bullied his way to the leadership of the Progressive Conservative party and his campaign manager had to resign because they broke every rule in the book.
    Gotcha.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  26. #26
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    All those high fives on the legislature floor were embarrassing to watch.
    Well that's how the left wing celebrates - they rub it in everyone's faces and suppress all forms of dissent or criticism when they are in control (they bully people into using only their politically-correct buzzwords, for example). And when they aren't in control they are violent (both physically and with their speech) when they don't get their way.

    Socialism/communism is a cancer.
    Oh you mean how Jason Keeney bullied his way to the leadership of the Progressive Conservative party and his campaign manager had to resign because they broke every rule in the book.
    Gotcha.
    Bullied? LOL! Okay....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •