Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586 LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,400 of 8565

Thread: Trump - misc

  1. #8301

    Default

    Inaccurate, not false. i.e. - some details may not be exactly right but the thrust of the story may be correct.

  2. #8302

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/muelle...ress-1.4985084

    Darn, back to the drawing board.LOL

  3. #8303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Inaccurate, not false. i.e. - some details may not be exactly right but the thrust of the story may be correct.
    Or the thrust of the story may be false. Too little information provided to say one way or another.

    Moreover, “inaccurate” by many definitions IS “false”.

    Bottom line: Buzzfeed screwed up big time on not getting the facts right if the Mueller statement is correct.
    Last edited by KC; 19-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.

  4. #8304

  5. #8305

    Default

    Yes, it could be simply that "emails" don't exist but other documents do.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  6. #8306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Yes, it could be simply that "emails" don't exist but other documents do.
    Can only speculate. Maybe the sources lied and fabricated the whole thing.

  7. #8307

    Default

    One thing is for sure.

    If the story is false, BuzzFeed wI'll apologize, fire staff and print a retraction. No matter, Trump and his supporters will say it is proof that ALL MAIN STREAM MEDIA IS FAKE NEWS...

    This of course is a lie and follows hundreds of lies and fake news that Trump and his administration have made and never apologized for or retracted when they have been proven false.

    Trump never apologizes, only lies on top of lies.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  8. #8308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    One thing is for sure.

    If the story is false, BuzzFeed wI'll apologize, fire staff and print a retraction. No matter, Trump and his supporters will say it is proof that ALL MAIN STREAM MEDIA IS FAKE NEWS...

    This of course is a lie and follows hundreds of lies and fake news that Trump and his administration have made and never apologized for or retracted when they have been proven false.

    Trump never apologizes, only lies on top of lies.
    And as a result he’s managed to acquire massive wealth, become the President of the United States, remain the President of the united states.

  9. #8309
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...155206636.html. Something the Trump administration is working on behind the scenes. Could be one big breakthrough. (If the media will even talk about it). Shows you have to be tough before they will give in.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 19-01-2019 at 08:10 PM.

  10. #8310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    One thing is for sure.

    If the story is false, BuzzFeed wI'll apologize, fire staff and print a retraction. No matter, Trump and his supporters will say it is proof that ALL MAIN STREAM MEDIA IS FAKE NEWS...

    This of course is a lie and follows hundreds of lies and fake news that Trump and his administration have made and never apologized for or retracted when they have been proven false.

    Trump never apologizes, only lies on top of lies.
    And as a result he’s managed to acquire massive wealth, become the President of the United States, remain the President of the united states.
    If a measure of a man is wealth and a powerful position; you can add Hitler, Stalin, Putin and Napoleon to the list.

    You may recall that Napoleon also met with his Waterloo...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  11. #8311

    Default

    Well duh. They have traded for years in US dollars and so have built up massive US dollar reserves. For years they’d invested it in US Treasuries but in order to get rid of their US dollar exposure they’d have to do one of more of a few things like: exchange the US dollar investments for other currencies (broaden the basket), trade them off to another country that would take USD in payment for goods, or return them to the US by buying US companies, equities, resources, real estate, etc. or just buy US goods and services.


    America's Growing Trade Deficit Is Selling The Nation Out From Under Us. Here's A Way To Fix The Problem--And We Need To Do It Now.
    (FORTUNE Magazine)
    By Warren E. Buffett Carol J. Loomis
    November 10, 2003

    http://archive.fortune.com/magazines...2872/index.htm




    China Foreign Exchange Reserves | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

    “China's foreign exchange reserves rose by USD 11 billion to USD 3.073 trillion in December 2018, up from USD 3.062 billion in November and slightly above market expectations USD 3.072 trillion.”
    https://tradingeconomics.com/china/f...hange-reserves


    Other twists to dealing with the problem:

    Relocating China’s Foreign Reserves
    Qiao YuThursday, November 21, 2013
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/r...eign-reserves/
    Last edited by KC; 19-01-2019 at 08:39 PM.

  12. #8312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...155206636.html. Something the Trump administration is working on behind the scenes. Could be one big breakthrough. (If the media will even talk about it)
    Sorry to burst your personal bubble. It is in all the papers and on most of the news channels.

    I guess that it is on Faux News every 5 minutes...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  13. #8313
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    First I saw of it here. Thought you missed it. Have not seen it on CBC. Been out most of the day. Enjoy the game tonight. On late in Montreal.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 19-01-2019 at 08:21 PM.

  14. #8314

    Default

    Of course you, of all people, know very well that the CBC is a liberal bastion of socialist bureaucrats who are the minions of the Deep State conspiracy...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  15. #8315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...155206636.html. Something the Trump administration is working on behind the scenes. Could be one big breakthrough. (If the media will even talk about it). Shows you have to be tough before they will give in.
    China will likely buy what will give them the most lasting value or benefit their own producers the most. They don’t want trillions in USD exposure when the US just keeps piling on massive debt and being fiscally irresponsible. If the US dollar plummets in value, then so will the value of their USD holdings. So for years they’ve very likely been analyzing options to reduce their risk exposure while at the same time gaining an advantage for their nation. They won’t be buying from the US rapidly depreciating quick to obsolescence consumables like computers. Maybe instead buying and stockpiling critical rare and industrial metals and the like.





    “The Road to Squanderville” - The Daily Reckoning
    BY WARREN BUFFETT
    POSTED JUNE 11, 2013




    “...I wrote an article for Fortune on the parable of Squanderville and Thriftville, which was designed to simplify for people the problems inherent in persistent and large trade imbalances. Economics tends to put people to sleep, and I thought that by creating a couple of islands populated by inhabitants with quite widely different activities that it might get across a point that otherwise they get lost on.

    The thrust of it is that if you own a lot of property — in this case, an island — you can trade it for the things that you consume every day. And you can do that for a long time, but eventually, you run out of property, and then you have to work a whole lot harder to provide for your own needs, but also to pay back the debts you’ve incurred or to get back the property you want. Short-term actions have long-term consequences that sometimes people don’t think about in the short run.

    In the last few decades, but accentuating in the last six or eight years, this country has started consuming considerably more than it produces. In other words, it’s ...”

    “We’re transferring small bits of the country — ownership of the country, or IOUs — to the rest of the world, but our national pie is still growing. In other words, we’re like a very, very, very rich family that owns a farm the size of Texas, and we have all this output coming from the farm. Now, because we consume a little more than we produce, we’re selling off tiny bits of that farm daily, a couple billion dollars’ worth, or we’re giving a small mortgage on it, which we don’t even notice, but it does build up over time.

    On the other hand, the farm is getting more productive all the time. So even though we own a little less of the farm, or we create these IOUs against it, our equity in the farm actually increases somewhat. That’s why people will benefit over time. But they won’t benefit as much as if they hadn’t given the IOUs or sold off little pieces of the farm.
    ...”

    https://dailyreckoning.com/the-road-to-squanderville/


    U.S., EU Say 'No' To China Buying The World
    “ “The Chinese Communist Party continues to use state-owned enterprises as the primary economic tool for advancing and achieving its national security objectives,” notes the “final draft” of the Commission’s report. “There is therefore an inherently high risk that whenever a state-owned enterprise acquires or gains effective control of a U.S. company, it will use the technology, intelligence, and market power it gains in the service of the Chinese state, to the detriment of U.S. national security.”

    There are many reasons for the concern in the EU and America over Chinese investment, but a common theme, as Commission member Larry Wortzel notes, is fairness. “There is no reciprocity,” he told the Free Beacon. “While Chinese companies can buy U.S. or Western companies, American and other Western companies are barred from buying key sector state-owned enterprises, if not all state-owned enterprises.” “

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonc...ing-the-world/
    Last edited by KC; 19-01-2019 at 09:13 PM.

  16. #8316

    Default

    Trump said he'd be able to size Kim up in a minute.

    How long will it take to figure out whether or not they’re serious. I said, ‘Maybe in the first minute.’ You know the way they say you know if you’re going to like somebody in the first five seconds? You ever hear of that one? Well, I think that very quickly I’ll know whether or not something good is going to happen. I also think I’ll know whether or not it will happen fast. May not. But I think I’ll know pretty quickly, whether or not, in my opinion, something positive will happen. And if I think it won’t happen, I’m not gonna waste my time — I don’t want to waste his time.

    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...ne-minute.html
    Afterwards, he said flat out that North Korea was no longer a nuclear threat.

    Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!

    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...37823469735936
    Meanwhile, in North Korea...

    Report finds another undisclosed North Korea missile site, says there are 19 more

    With a second U.S.- North Korea nuclear summit looming in February, researchers have discovered a secret ballistic missile base in North Korea — one of as many as 20 undisclosed missile sites in the country, according to the researchers’ new report.


    The Kim regime has never disclosed the existence of the Sino-ri Missile Operating Base to the outside world. Ballistic missiles are the primary delivery mechanism for North Korean nuclear warheads.

    ---

    "The North Koreans are not going to negotiate over things they don’t disclose," said Victor Cha, one of the authors of the report. "It looks like they’re playing a game. They’re still going to have all this operational capability," even if they destroy their disclosed nuclear facilities.

    ---

    Beyond Parallel researchers estimate North Korea has 20 undisclosed sites where it continues to develop its ballistic missile program. Sino-ri is one of the oldest of those sites but is still operational today. Satellite photos dated Dec. 27, 2018, show an entrance to an underground bunker, hardened shelters, and a headquarters area, according to Beyond Parallel. The underground bunkers have rock and dirt berms in front that appear to protect them from artillery fire and airstrikes. The base is just under 7 square miles in size.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-k...-there-n958801
    But it's nothing to worry about because Trump trusts Kim since he writes him such beautiful letters.

  17. #8317
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    I heard the last letter was signed KMA. Kim, not sure what the MA might stand for.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  18. #8318

    Default

    KMA

    Korea Mocks America

  19. #8319

    Default

    Absolutely great discussion today on CBC The Current on how badly this reporting was screwed up.

    New videos and reporting is flipping the story on its head and revealing all the knee jerk and biased views.




    VIDEO
    U.S. diocese, school apologize after students mock Indigenous demonstrator in heated confrontation

    “An online news platform called Indian Country Today identified the elderly man as Nathan Phillips, an Omaha elder and Vietnam veteran who holds an annual ceremony honouring Indigenous American veterans at the Arlington National Cemetery.”

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/indige...mock-1.4985493
    Last edited by KC; 22-01-2019 at 09:57 AM.

  20. #8320

    Default

    I agree.

    Many of the news programs are correcting the errors and praising the students and pointing out who the true trouble makers were.

    I heard several apologies from the media and corrects with more in depth coverage.

    I wish the White House and the Republicans would do the same when they lie and misrepresented the truth. They would rather attack than admit they are wrong.

    Trump's lie count for the past 2 years is over 8,000 and I have yet to hear him apologize for his fake statements.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  21. #8321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Absolutely great discussion today on CBC The Current on how badly this reporting was screwed up.

    New videos and reporting is flipping the story on its head and revealing all the knee jerk and biased views.




    VIDEO
    U.S. diocese, school apologize after students mock Indigenous demonstrator in heated confrontation

    “An online news platform called Indian Country Today identified the elderly man as Nathan Phillips, an Omaha elder and Vietnam veteran who holds an annual ceremony honouring Indigenous American veterans at the Arlington National Cemetery.”

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/indige...mock-1.4985493
    Yup. The real story is how pathetic it is to have a bunch of teenage boys inserting themselves into a discussion of what women can and can't do with their own bodies.

  22. #8322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I agree.

    Many of the news programs are correcting the errors and praising the students and pointing out who the true trouble makers were.

    I heard several apologies from the media and corrects with more in depth coverage.

    I wish the White House and the Republicans would do the same when they lie and misrepresented the truth. They would rather attack than admit they are wrong.

    Trump's lie count for the past 2 years is over 8,000 and I have yet to hear him apologize for his fake statements.
    Let's not get too crazy here. That whole group started doing the Tomahawk Chop at the Native Americans. Not the upstanding victims that they're making themselves out to be.

  23. #8323

    Default

    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.

  24. #8324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    I don't hate those kids because they are conservative. I don't hate those kids at all. But they were not innocent victims. One group was provoking them (pro tip: It wasn't the Native Americans.) I don't think the provocation phased them, as they went all out with the Tomahawk Chop as an elder performed ceremonial singing. There was another story happening, and when that story came out, the snowflakes scrambled to make it overshadow the first story, and the media absolutely caved.

    You, and everybody, witnessed blatant large scale, frenzied racism against an old man. You can tell by the behaviour of all of those kids, who had the power in that situation. It wasn't Nathan Phillips, regardless of who approached who. But won't someone please think of the aggrieved white, Catholic, teenage boys!

    I wonder if the hysterical masses securing those douchebags in their bubble would be as quick to protect them from the Catholic church itself.

  25. #8325
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    Which black kids were yelling at them, and the native?
    Nasty , very nasty. Anyway, the media got it wrong. using a piece of the video, not the whole video.
    Careful, Trump will get in again., may be he'll use this as fake news!!!!!!!)
    I saw the native gentleman interviewed, he said he sensed trouble and got in between these two groups. The guys with make america great again, were targeted.
    Last edited by H.L.; 22-01-2019 at 01:21 PM.

  26. #8326

    Default

    There was a lot of things going on for over a hour. Where were the parental or teacher chaperones? There was risks of altercations with the Black Hebrew Israelites, a recognized hate group.

    The indigenous group was trying to reduce the anger and did more than the chaperones who should have directed the students away from the confrontation with the Black Hebrew Israelites and put the students back on the bus.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  27. #8327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    As a conservative, I dislike the disrespect those kids showed to those elders. If you try to spin this any other way, you are simply trying to ignore reality.

  28. #8328

    Default

    Covington Catholic High School is hardly the paragon of virtue that some would like us to believe.

    Covington kids in blackface taunting a black player from opposing team.



    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...c-black-paint/
    And this sterling example of vritue

    Jacob Walter was once a star athlete who had been committed to playing basketball at Xavier University but as of December, is being held in Boone County Jail in Kentucky on a charge of rape. According to WCPO Cincinnati, Walter assaulted an 18-year-old girl by choking her and repeatedly telling her “she would be fine.”


    A similar incident also occurred in May of 2018 in which the victim was sent to the hospital, much like the newest case. Facing two similar cases, attorneys think that Walter will be facing a lifetime as a registered sex offender.

    https://mavenroundtable.io/theintell...kaCxOaneOf7wQ/
    And "It's not rape if you enjoy it", recorded in front of the Lincoln Memorial.


  29. #8329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Covington Catholic High School is hardly the paragon of virtue that some would like us to believe.

    Covington kids in blackface taunting a black player from opposing team.



    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...c-black-paint/
    Of course a high school is going to taunt players on the visiting team.


    Those kids aren't in blackface, either, you dummy. It was a "blackout" game for the fans to show support. None of this has anything to do with race.

    FYI - blackout and whiteout games are a tradition in amateur sports in the USA. Read this Sports Illustrated article about it (there are lots of pictures for you, too showing crowds painted all in black and all in white:

    https://www.si.com/more-sports/photo...-vs.-white-out


    You are only showing everyone that the most racist type of person today is a white liberal.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 22-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.

  30. #8330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    As a conservative, I dislike the disrespect those kids showed to those elders. If you try to spin this any other way, you are simply trying to ignore reality.

    I dislike that you call yourself "conservative".

    And how is standing there stoically "disrespecting" an elder? Especially since that elder walked up to that kid and pounded a drum in his face, trying to entice him to do something offensive?

    How would you react? Not as maturely as that kid did, I bet.

  31. #8331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Where were the parental or teacher chaperones?
    They apparently were there, and allowed the kids to start shouting their school chants to drown out all the offensive things the black Israelite activists were screaming at them.

    No matter what you think of their political opinions, these teens really did nothing wrong. They did not hurt anybody, nor did they attempt to. But the way so many people in the media recited the lies that they are now walking back is inexcusable. Their school was actually shut down today because of mobs threatening the endangerment of the kids at the school.

  32. #8332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    As a conservative, I dislike the disrespect those kids showed to those elders. If you try to spin this any other way, you are simply trying to ignore reality.

    I dislike that you call yourself "conservative".

    And how is standing there stoically "disrespecting" an elder? Especially since that elder walked up to that kid and pounded a drum in his face, trying to entice him to do something offensive?

    How would you react? Not as maturely as that kid did, I bet.
    Bolding is mine.

    Medwards can call himself a conservative if he wants to. I call myself one too. I guess we are not "pure" enough for your brand of ultra right extremism.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  33. #8333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    I don't hate those kids because they are conservative. I don't hate those kids at all. But they were not innocent victims. One group was provoking them (pro tip: It wasn't the Native Americans.) I don't think the provocation phased them, as they went all out with the Tomahawk Chop as an elder performed ceremonial singing.
    Watch the whole video - that guy with the drum walked up to the group of kids on a school trip and beat his drum in a 15-year-old's face. He was TRYING to agitate them. That kid got ripped apart by "journalists" because he just stood there and smiled at the guy, even to the point of riling up mobs of angry people to threaten harm against these teenagers.

    That guy beating the drum should've minded his own business, and the mainstream press ought to get sued for spreading and reciting such harmful misinformation that has endangered innocent teenage kids.

  34. #8334

    Default

    MrOilers wrote "the mainstream press ought to get sued for spreading and reciting such harmful misinformation."

    So then you totally agree that Trump and his regime can be sued on 8,000+ counts of spreading and reciting harmful misinformation?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  35. #8335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    ultra right extremism.
    LOL. there's nothing "extreme" about supporting Andrew Scheer, Jason Kenney and Donald Trump.


    You must be radical left if that looks "ultra right extreme" to you.

  36. #8336

    Default

    The media needs to be responsible and accountable for endangering the lives of teenagers.

  37. #8337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    The media needs to be responsible and accountable for endangering the lives of teenagers.
    You know I was not referring to this singular incident

    Are you saying that the President is immune from the same standard of being responsible and accountable to the American People?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  38. #8338

    Default

    Stop trying to make a false equivalence here.

    Today's media is broken. All day last Friday they repeated stories about Buzzfeed saying that Trump committed a felony. CNN and other networks ran with the story all day, repeating it as fact with zero corroboration until Mueller fact checked all of it telling them there reporting was wrong. The media got egg all over their faces for that.

    One day later they are spreading lies about a a group of teenagers, repeating the lie that they were surrounded and harassed an elderly native man because they were a bunch of racists. Once again they did this over and over again, whipping up their audience to mob these youths, with zero corroboration except for a 10-second video clip that they took out of context. Now they look stupid once multiple videos came out showing that there were multiple groups of political agitators who were attacking the group of students with racist slurs (even towards the black teens in the group).

    That's twice in a weekend that the media has had to walk back the lies they irresponsibly repeated. Their job is to inform the public of what's truly happening. But they aren't doing that.

    Can't blame Trump for the lousy job the media is doing at reporting facts accurately and responsibly.

  39. #8339

    Default

    The media makes one mistake and you blow it out of proportion. Trump makes 10 deliberate errors a day and you ignore them and even condone them.

    At least the media is working hard to correct their error.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  40. #8340
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Stop trying to make a false equivalence here.

    Today's media is broken. All day last Friday they repeated stories about Buzzfeed saying that Trump committed a felony. CNN and other networks ran with the story all day, repeating it as fact with zero corroboration until Mueller fact checked all of it telling them there reporting was wrong. The media got egg all over their faces for that.

    One day later they are spreading lies about a a group of teenagers, repeating the lie that they were surrounded and harassed an elderly native man because they were a bunch of racists. Once again they did this over and over again, whipping up their audience to mob these youths, with zero corroboration except for a 10-second video clip that they took out of context. Now they look stupid once multiple videos came out showing that there were multiple groups of political agitators who were attacking the group of students with racist slurs (even towards the black teens in the group).

    That's twice in a weekend that the media has had to walk back the lies they irresponsibly repeated. Their job is to inform the public of what's truly happening. But they aren't doing that.

    Can't blame Trump for the lousy job the media is doing at reporting facts accurately and responsibly.
    Buzz feed got their knuckes wrapped! I liked it!

  41. #8341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    As a conservative, I dislike the disrespect those kids showed to those elders. If you try to spin this any other way, you are simply trying to ignore reality.

    I dislike that you call yourself "conservative".
    Dislike all you want, doesn't change the fact that I am. Sorry I'm not on the anti-immigrant /Build the wall/Brown people scare me/White Power/1488 side of the conservative side you idle in.

    And how is standing there stoically "disrespecting" an elder?
    standing there stoically? Is that what you gathered? Wow... I'm sure you're aware of the other tihngs these kids were caught on video doing just before too... right?

    Especially since that elder walked up to that kid and pounded a drum in his face, trying to entice him to do something offensive?
    That's not what happened.

    How would you react? Not as maturely as that kid did, I bet.
    I wouldn't have been there.

    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...aga-video.html

    https://twitter.com/roflinds/status/...978684422?s=20
    Last edited by Medwards; 22-01-2019 at 04:14 PM.

  42. #8342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'm not on the anti-immigrant /Build the wall/Brown people scare me/White Power/1488 side of the conservative side you idle in.
    Wow. That's one hell of a straw man you built there! Ha ha!

  43. #8343

    Default

    Typical of you to ignore everything except a small point and then go after that point...

    ... but hard to deny something going on when you look at the time line

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...ates_elections

  44. #8344

    Default

    Yes, Russians tried to interfere with US elections. Everybody knows that.

    Only a conspiracy theorist believes that Trump got them to do it for him.

  45. #8345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I agree.

    Many of the news programs are correcting the errors and praising the students and pointing out who the true trouble makers were.

    I heard several apologies from the media and corrects with more in depth coverage.

    I wish the White House and the Republicans would do the same when they lie and misrepresented the truth. They would rather attack than admit they are wrong.

    Trump's lie count for the past 2 years is over 8,000 and I have yet to hear him apologize for his fake statements.
    On The Current, one guy mentioned that the admissions of error in the media and social media weren’t exactly the best.


    I see that as understandable. People don’t like to admit their error and their own racist, biased and judgmental tendencies when additional facts come out. So they weasel away with lame apologies if any at all.



    I highly recommend listening to this:



    Video of teen, Indigenous protester standoff let people confirm their own fears: writer

    Jan 22, 2019

    As more information emerges, a rush to draw damning conclusions from video of an Indigenous protester and teenagers in MAGA hats shows our personal and political bias, says one writer.”

    https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/the-...gment/15665373
    Last edited by KC; 22-01-2019 at 04:58 PM.

  46. #8346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Stop trying to make a false equivalence here.

    Today's media is broken. All day last Friday they repeated stories about Buzzfeed saying that Trump committed a felony. CNN and other networks ran with the story all day, repeating it as fact with zero corroboration until Mueller fact checked all of it telling them there reporting was wrong. The media got egg all over their faces for that.

    One day later they are spreading lies about a a group of teenagers, repeating the lie that they were surrounded and harassed an elderly native man because they were a bunch of racists. Once again they did this over and over again, whipping up their audience to mob these youths, with zero corroboration except for a 10-second video clip that they took out of context. Now they look stupid once multiple videos came out showing that there were multiple groups of political agitators who were attacking the group of students with racist slurs (even towards the black teens in the group).

    That's twice in a weekend that the media has had to walk back the lies they irresponsibly repeated. Their job is to inform the public of what's truly happening. But they aren't doing that.

    Can't blame Trump for the lousy job the media is doing at reporting facts accurately and responsibly.
    You keep saying the media lied, but they didn't. There was another story (which has since been told), but it doesn't change the fact that those kids were aggressively racist at that rally. The kid was not stoic. Have you met a teenager recently? That was trolling, and the group behind him ate it up. The Tomahawk Chop is not a form of endearment - but you'll continue to ignore that.

  47. #8347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Yes, Russians tried to interfere with US elections. Everybody knows that.

    Only a conspiracy theorist believes that Trump got them to do it for him.
    Kinda odd that Trump worked with Russians during his election campaign and right up until he was elected, including asking them to hack hillary emails, and for the russians interference to help Trump get elected.... no smoking gun here at all.

    If Trump wanted to come clean, he could easily prove he didn't I'm sure. The investigation draws closer and closer, and the alt-right gets angrier and angrier. Just look at your post on both the forums we are on.

  48. #8348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The media makes one mistake and you blow it out of proportion. Trump makes 10 deliberate errors a day and you ignore them and even condone them.

    At least the media is working hard to correct their error.
    I've got to stop you here. The media did not make a mistake. Those kids were being racist twits and the whole world saw it. Now the spin machine is in overdrive to turn them into saints, and the media is complicit in the whitewashing because they are terrified of not appearing "fair and balanced." That's why you don't see live fact checking - because facts are the worst enemy of some ideologies.

  49. #8349
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The media makes one mistake and you blow it out of proportion. Trump makes 10 deliberate errors a day and you ignore them and even condone them.

    At least the media is working hard to correct their error.
    I've got to stop you here. The media did not make a mistake. Those kids were being racist twits and the whole world saw it. Now the spin machine is in overdrive to turn them into saints, and the media is complicit in the whitewashing because they are terrified of not appearing "fair and balanced." That's why you don't see live fact checking - because facts are the worst enemy of some ideologies.

    No, they weren't.

    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...iter-1.4986952



    However, a longer video later surfaced, which shows a third group — the Black Hebrew Israelites — shouting slurs at the boys.



    In this letter, Sandmann states: "I did not make any hand gestures or other aggressive moves. To be honest, I was startled and confused as to why [the Indigenous protester] had approached me."
    Last edited by H.L.; 22-01-2019 at 05:42 PM.

  50. #8350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Yes, Russians tried to interfere with US elections. Everybody knows that.

    Only a conspiracy theorist believes that Trump got them to do it for him.
    Kinda odd that Trump worked with Russians during his election campaign and right up until he was elected, including asking them to hack hillary emails, and for the russians interference to help Trump get elected.... no smoking gun here at all.
    Those are all allegations.

    Also, who exactly are "the Russians" you keep talking about?



    If Trump wanted to come clean, he could easily prove he didn't I'm sure. The investigation draws closer and closer, and the alt-right gets angrier and angrier. Just look at your post on both the forums we are on.
    Can't prove a negative.

    Also, stop stalking me like a radical leftist, you weirdo. Why are you so obsessed with me and my personal life?

  51. #8351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The media makes one mistake and you blow it out of proportion. Trump makes 10 deliberate errors a day and you ignore them and even condone them.

    At least the media is working hard to correct their error.
    I've got to stop you here. The media did not make a mistake.

    I agree. The media didn't make a mistake. They purposely and deliberately lied and pushed those lies as hard and as far as they could, until the uncut videos showed people the TRUTH of what actually happened, and how the kids were being harassed by a bunch of raving political activist adults.

  52. #8352

    Default

    Holy crap.

    This girl has posted A LOT of blatantly homophobic and racist tweets. Has no problem using the n word and other blatantly racist slurs. She is in the process of deleting them like crazy, but if you doubt me you can take a look at all the screenshots of her Twitter account here:

    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...racist-tweets/

    Is she supposed to be a hero of yours? Or one of the "good people" on the left? Why on earth would you link this?

  53. #8353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The media makes one mistake and you blow it out of proportion. Trump makes 10 deliberate errors a day and you ignore them and even condone them.

    At least the media is working hard to correct their error.
    I've got to stop you here. The media did not make a mistake.

    I agree. The media didn't make a mistake. They purposely and deliberately lied and pushed those lies as hard and as far as they could, until the uncut videos showed people the TRUTH of what actually happened, and how the kids were being harassed by a bunch of raving political activist adults.
    Saying that the media lied and using “they” reflects a misunderstanding of how media works. Most media outlets likely only saw the short clip. Few were actually even there.

    Moreover even people in the ground all witnesssing the very same events probably couldn’t provide non-conflicting consistent observations.



    Rush to judgment on Covington school standoff should be a wake-up call for media: Robyn Urback | CBC News



    “...
    Which is why this also ought to be a wake-up call for progressives, who, until about 15 minutes ago, lectured supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump about the ruthlessness of mobs, about scapegoating and about abject cruelty. Comedian Kathy Griffin called on her two million Twitter followers to "name these kids," having seemingly forgotten about her previously expressed disdain for efforts to ruin someone's life via online pile-on. Others suggested a school shooting would be appropriate at Covington Catholic High School.“

    “And even when additional information was made available, which demonstrated that the initial narrative was incorrect, many still insisted that the extended footage didn't change anything: They were still wearing MAGA hats! They were laughing!

    All true. But our initial assumptions about the confrontation were still incorrect. The students did not appear to initiate a confrontation; they ...”


    ...
    Those who fail to see why this new information matters ought to reflect on how their own ideological bias might shape their perceptions and how their credulousness might be a product of their own political loyalties. You can't...


    https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/covi...-off-1.4987065


    Bolding mine
    .
    Last edited by KC; 22-01-2019 at 07:30 PM.

  54. #8354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The media makes one mistake and you blow it out of proportion. Trump makes 10 deliberate errors a day and you ignore them and even condone them.

    At least the media is working hard to correct their error.
    I've got to stop you here. The media did not make a mistake. Those kids were being racist twits and the whole world saw it. Now the spin machine is in overdrive to turn them into saints, and the media is complicit in the whitewashing because they are terrified of not appearing "fair and balanced." That's why you don't see live fact checking - because facts are the worst enemy of some ideologies.

    No, they weren't.

    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...iter-1.4986952



    However, a longer video later surfaced, which shows a third group — the Black Hebrew Israelites — shouting slurs at the boys.



    In this letter, Sandmann states: "I did not make any hand gestures or other aggressive moves. To be honest, I was startled and confused as to why [the Indigenous protester] had approached me."
    Uh...yes they were. How man times do I need to bring up the Tomahawk Chop? And quit bringing up the longer video - I've already referenced it numerous times and it is not the gotcha' moment that the apologists want it to be. The Black Hebrew Israelites were a different story. What does them yelling at the teens have to do with the teens all doing the Tomahawk Chop? Those are different things that happened, and it's not the same story.

  55. #8355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The media makes one mistake and you blow it out of proportion. Trump makes 10 deliberate errors a day and you ignore them and even condone them.

    At least the media is working hard to correct their error.
    I've got to stop you here. The media did not make a mistake.

    I agree. The media didn't make a mistake. They purposely and deliberately lied and pushed those lies as hard and as far as they could, until the uncut videos showed people the TRUTH of what actually happened, and how the kids were being harassed by a bunch of raving political activist adults.
    What were the lies? Those kids were all doing the Tomahawk Chop, clearly mocking a Native American, and they loved every moment of it. That actually happened, and the Black Hebrew Israelites nonsense does nothing to change that those kids were being racist punks.

  56. #8356

    Default

    I Thought the MAGA Boys Were ****-Eating Monsters. Then I Watched the Full Video. - Slog - The Stranger

    https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...the-full-video

  57. #8357
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Is the chop, like three hockey players dancing like aboriginals because they are?
    I didn't see the guy they all ( all the media) chose to focus on, chopping anything

  58. #8358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Is the chop, like three hockey players dancing like aboriginals because they are?
    I didn't see the guy they all ( all the media) chose to focus on, chopping anything
    The Tomahawk Chop is a racist sports chant at the best of times. Doing it specifically mock indigenous people who are doing traditional singing is unconscionably racist. That is what the group of teens was doing. They were not intimidated, and held all of the power in that situation.

  59. #8359

    Default

    I think that the majority of boys acted responsibly even when verbally attacked by the four BJH group.

    The tomahawk chop was only done by some boys and that was wrong.

    Wearing the MAGA hats are an individual's choice and that is their right of free expression. But freedom also has responsibilities and effects. You cannot deny that having a MAGA hat does express that you believe in what Donald Trump believes in and support him. If you walk into Rogers Place with a Calgary Flames hat and Jersey because you like the Flames, don't be surprised that people will assume that you are not an Oilers fan. You can wear a Sex Pistols tee shirt to the corporate office or Church but that speaks volumes about yourself and the appropriateness of the occasion. I think as a Christian High School that they were representing, the MAGA hats were inappropriate.

    Overall the boys behaved themselves and the only group that was totally wrong were the four members of the Black Jewish Hebrews group

    Now as a comparison, being part of a loud angry mob carrying torches and shouting racist slogans, is totally inappropriate and not one of them in that group can be considered innocent or "good people" as Trump tried to rationalize. I condemn every single person who picked up a torch and shouted racist slogans or associated with that crowd and did not walk away.

    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-01-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  60. #8360
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Is the chop, like three hockey players dancing like aboriginals because they are?
    I didn't see the guy they all ( all the media) chose to focus on, chopping anything
    The Tomahawk Chop is a racist sports chant at the best of times. Doing it specifically mock indigenous people who are doing traditional singing is unconscionably racist. That is what the group of teens was doing. They were not intimidated, and held all of the power in that situation.
    Well tell me this, why does it now seem, the media,,global national, seem to be backpedaling, because the whole family said the same thing tonight( its not often they are all here) whoa, is msm saying they jumped to conclusions..?
    Read the message boards..they are saying the same thing.
    In one week, they'll be something else
    Night.

  61. #8361

  62. #8362

    Default

    Who knew? Trump's top White House attorney is Covington Catholic High School graduate

    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ol/2650238002/
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  63. #8363
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    [COLOR=var(--body-5_-_color)]Trump took to Twitter on Monday night and again Tuesday morning to defend the CovCath students, embroiled in a controversy for their behavior during other groups' protests and marches last week near the Lincoln Memorial.

    I do not read his tweets, this time, good for him
    [/COLOR]

  64. #8364

    Default

    Seeing as as there's video of one of the students saying "It's not rape if you enjoy it", I'm not surprised Trump is supporting them. They remind him of himself on the Access Hollywood tape.

  65. #8365

    Default

    Great article below!
    “...A second video called that story into question. But neither shows what truly happened.”



    Stop Trusting Viral Videos

    A controversial video of Catholic students clashing with American Indians appeared to tell a simple truth. A second video called that story into question. But neither shows what truly happened.

    IAN BOGOST
    JAN 21, 2019

    Viral Clash of Students and American Indians Explained - The Atlantic

    ...
    Because the newer video of the Lincoln Memorial encounter is so much longer, some would contend that it offers clarity about how the conflict arose. But if you watch the video in its entirety, ...”

    ...
    “About a century ago, the Soviet formalist filmmaker Lev Kuleshov conducted a series of experiments with filmic montage. In the most famous one, he edited a short film consisting of short clips of various subjects: an actor’s expressionless face, a bowl of soup, a woman on a couch, a girl in a coffin. The same clips edited into different sequences produced different interpretive results in the viewer. The deadpan face of the actor appeared to take on different emotions depending on which image preceded or followed it—he appeared dolorous, for example, when seeming to “look at” the dead girl in the coffin. This effect of filmic editing has been called the Kuleshov effect, and it’s had an enormous influence on filmmakers including Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, and Francis Ford Coppola. It also forms the backbone of reality television, in which meaning is almost entirely produced in the editing room.”

    https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...lained/580906/

    Last edited by KC; 23-01-2019 at 01:21 AM.

  66. #8366
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sherwood park
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    I don't hate those kids because they are conservative. I don't hate those kids at all. But they were not innocent victims. One group was provoking them (pro tip: It wasn't the Native Americans.) I don't think the provocation phased them, as they went all out with the Tomahawk Chop as an elder performed ceremonial singing. There was another story happening, and when that story came out, the snowflakes scrambled to make it overshadow the first story, and the media absolutely caved.

    You, and everybody, witnessed blatant large scale, frenzied racism against an old man. You can tell by the behaviour of all of those kids, who had the power in that situation. It wasn't Nathan Phillips, regardless of who approached who. But won't someone please think of the aggrieved white, Catholic, teenage boys!

    I wonder if the hysterical masses securing those douchebags in their bubble would be as quick to protect them from the Catholic church itself.

    The "Old Man" was antagonizing a group of students. Is it still "ceremonial singing" when you clearly approach people and pound a drum inches from their ears?

    Spewing outright lies to the media about the incident is what Nathan Phillips did do. There is no doubt about that.

    Edit: Crap, I let Whatagame's rubbish drag me into a Trump thread.
    Last edited by SP59; 23-01-2019 at 02:00 AM.

  67. #8367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I think as a Christian High School that they were representing, the MAGA hats were inappropriate.
    Those MAGA hats are sold as souvenirs EVERYWHERE in Washington DC. Lots of tourists visiting the city (like these boys did) buy and wear those hats around. They aren't "inappropriate" at all. You cannot equate a group of tourists on a school trip wearing those hats to a mob carrying torches.

  68. #8368

    Default

    I knew that you would focus on the torch wielding mob counterpoint and not on the Calgary Flames hat and jersey comparison. Your strident objectionism and lack of comprehension is obvious.

    In the US, gun's and porn magazines are sold everywhere but just because they are available everywhere, as a Christian myself, I would not buy a gun, a porn mag or a MAGA hat because they represent the opposite of what I believe in.

    Why could the boys buy a 'I Love DC" or "WWJD" hat instead? Or is it just that the boys wanted to prove their masculinity by putting on a hat that represents some very unchristian beliefs?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  69. #8369

    Default

    You are now trying to argue that Christians should not be wearing a Trump hat because it is "unchristian"?

    LOL

  70. #8370

    Default

    A list of 68 major mistakes the news media made over the last 2 years when reporting about Donald Trump:

    https://sharylattkisson.com/2019/01/...finitive-list/


    It's interesting how all of these "mistakes" from all of these major news outlets are always biased to make Trump and conservatives look worse. It's as if they have their own political agendas or something.

    How come none of these journalists ever accidentally publish a positive story about Trump or conservatives?

  71. #8371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    You are now trying to argue that Christians should not be wearing a Trump hat because it is "unchristian"?

    LOL
    You know nothing about Christianity.


    Donald Trump is and represents the very opposite of Christian values, morals, ethics and biblical teachings. He is immoral.

    Christians believe in Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31 "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

    and

    Matthew 22:37-40 New International Version (NIV)
    37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

    What is wrong with the boys from a Christian Highschool wearing this instead of a MAGA hat?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  72. #8372

    Default

    Christianity isn't my religion.

  73. #8373

    Default

    Christianity isn't my religion.


    But I don't think political affiliation should have anything to do with what religion you choose to follow (separation of religion and state, and all that).

  74. #8374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    A list of 68 major mistakes the news media made over the last 2 years when reporting about Donald Trump:

    https://sharylattkisson.com/2019/01/...finitive-list/


    It's interesting how all of these "mistakes" from all of these major news outlets are always biased to make Trump and conservatives look worse. It's as if they have their own political agendas or something.

    How come none of these journalists ever accidentally publish a positive story about Trump or conservatives?
    Of all the media agencies out there and the thousands of reporters and hundreds of stories they published in the past two years, amounting to maybe 100,000 articles in total, you state that they got 68 wrong? Do you understand that because Trump lies 10 times a day, fact checkers are working double time to try to fact check is constant barrage of fake information, (much of which comes from Faux and Fiends, Russian disinformation campaigns and other Alt-Reich sources) and got a total of 68 stories wrong!!! That is almost a week worth of Trump lies in two years. Joseph Goebbels and his regime were not as efficient in making the BIG LIE as Donald Trump single handedly does.

    And did not the media admit they mad a mistake and apologize to readers and other news agencies report the mistake as well in a self correcting and responsible free press?

    When has Trump ever apologised for his thousands of lies, even once?

    Any feeble attempt by Trump to apologise, he then quickly retracts it and blames everyone else for lying.

    Before you throw stones at the media, you better look at your Liar in Chief.

    Maybe I should quote another biblical verse that represents your mistaken belief.

    Matthew 7:5 is part of the Sermon on the Mount.

    You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye,


    and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye.
    The 'exhausting' work of factcheckers who track Trump's barrage of lies
    Since taking office, Trump has made 7,645 ‘false or misleading claims’. In October he said 1,200 things that were false or misleading, according to Fact Checker database
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-factcheckers


    Trump told more than 8,000 falsehoods in 2 years, fact checker says
    The most common subject areas where Mr Trump either said lies or made false statements are regarding his tax cuts, the US trade deficit, and special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into potential Russian election interference
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8740721.html
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 23-01-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  75. #8375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Christianity isn't my religion.


    But I don't think political affiliation should have anything to do with what religion you choose to follow (separation of religion and state, and all that).
    Well, it certainly shows. You lack any morals or ethical values regardless if you are a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, of the Baha'i Faith, Confucianist, or believe in Hinduism, Humanism, Jainism, Judaism, Mohism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Atheism, etc.

    You then insist that you are a true conservative and attack anyone else and claim they are liberals.

    You are a peach.

    A very rotten one indeed.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  76. #8376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    A list of 68 major mistakes the news media made over the last 2 years when reporting about Donald Trump:

    https://sharylattkisson.com/2019/01/...finitive-list/


    It's interesting how all of these "mistakes" from all of these major news outlets are always biased to make Trump and conservatives look worse. It's as if they have their own political agendas or something.

    How come none of these journalists ever accidentally publish a positive story about Trump or conservatives?
    Very interesting thanks for posting this.


    However MrOilers you say:

    all of these "mistakes" from all of these major news outlets are always biased to make Trump and conservatives look worse.
    Now I’ve only skimmed down as far as #16 so far, but #16 looks more like a common transpositional error (like flipping digits) or a memory retrieval error or simply an error from lack of focus or confusion (such as in thinking ahead to the next sentence while typing the last while typing something). I don’t see how this would be a deliberate misstatement or an error brought forth by bias against Trump or conservatives. However you say “all” so I ssume you looked through all the list and decided that they were “all” biased and “are always biased to make Trump and conservatives look worse. It's as if they have their own political agendas or something.”

    Can you please explain how #16 below supports your statement of absolute bias?


    IS THIS AN ERROR DUE TO ANTI-TRUMP, ETC BIAS?

    16. April 5, 2017:

    An article bylined by the New York Times’ graphic editors Karen Yourish and Troy Griggs referred to Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, as Trump’s wife.


    https://sharylattkisson.com/2019/01/...finitive-list/
    I suspect that you made a sweeping generalization from skimming over the list and in a rush turned that into a statement of absolutes. I would say that that is something that everyone does. (I may be wrong. Just making sweeping generalizations now because I am in a rush this morning and this is just a forum where perfection isn’t expected but if you fail to be perfect, expect some ******* like me to come along and nitpick.)


    Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 23-01-2019 at 08:37 AM.

  77. #8377

    Default

    Funny that there was only one reference to Fox News.

    I guess they are pure as the driven snow. No mention of other right wing biased news media like the Drudge Report, InfoWars or Breitbart.

    Funny that...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  78. #8378
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    Very interesting article, thanks for posting. A lot of us have seen this happening all along, except for the left wing sheeples of course. They’ve been lied to everyday but just fall for it. It is an abomination. Trump sure ain’t perfect but the media has been a lot worse. I believe to the degree that charges and sentences should apply. That’s all.

  79. #8379

    Default

    Entire Media 68 vs Trump 8,000 and you just say, "Trump sure ain’t perfect but the media has been a lot worse."

    It is obvious that your conceptual conservatism has completely flipped reality.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 23-01-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  80. #8380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Very interesting article, thanks for posting. A lot of us have seen this happening all along, except for the left wing sheeples of course. They’ve been lied to everyday but just fall for it. It is an abomination. Trump sure ain’t perfect but the media has been a lot worse. I believe to the degree that charges and sentences should apply. That’s all.
    “the media has been a lot worse”

    Is that a statement of fact or an airy-fairy feeling within you?

    Plus when you say “all along, except for the left wing sheeples...” does that include all pre-Trump periods?
    Last edited by KC; 23-01-2019 at 09:39 AM.

  81. #8381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Christianity isn't my religion.


    But I don't think political affiliation should have anything to do with what religion you choose to follow (separation of religion and state, and all that).
    Well, it certainly shows. You lack any morals or ethical values regardless if you are a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, of the Baha'i Faith, Confucianist, or believe in Hinduism, Humanism, Jainism, Judaism, Mohism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Atheism, etc.

    You then insist that you are a true conservative and attack anyone else and claim they are liberals.

    You are a peach.

    A very rotten one indeed.

    For a self-proclaimed "conservative Christian" you sure spout off a lot of intolerant far-left ideology and dehumanizing judgement.

  82. #8382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Very interesting article, thanks for posting. A lot of us have seen this happening all along, except for the left wing sheeples of course. They’ve been lied to everyday but just fall for it. It is an abomination. Trump sure ain’t perfect but the media has been a lot worse. I believe to the degree that charges and sentences should apply. That’s all.
    Yup. Politicians lie and spin things all the time. We expect it.

    However, the public actually TRUSTS the media to be accurate. But these "accepted" mainstream outlets sure appear to put a lot of spin and lies in their own reporting to push a certain agenda. Too many opinion pieces are reported as factual news as well. Op-Ed pieces used to only make up a very tiny part of any newspaper or broadcast, but now they are pervasive, and even pushed as top headlines.

    This is why support for traditional mainstream outlets is rapidly declining, and why so many fringe outlets like Infowars and Brietbart find so much growing support - people are searching for accurate facts, and the mainstream media is no longer providing the source for that.

  83. #8383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    You are now trying to argue that Christians should not be wearing a Trump hat because it is "unchristian"?

    LOL
    You know nothing about Christianity.


    Donald Trump is and represents the very opposite of Christian values, morals, ethics and biblical teachings. He is immoral.

    Christians believe in Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31 "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

    and

    Matthew 22:37-40 New International Version (NIV)
    37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

    What is wrong with the boys from a Christian Highschool wearing this instead of a MAGA hat?
    “Donald Trump is and represents the very opposite of Christian values, morals, ethics and biblical teachings. He is immoral.”

    Are you saying that because Trump may not follow Christian values he is immoral?

    On the hat, it does seem to be very much like gang colours. However I’d guess that through the years other broadly displaced pieces of attire, placards, etc have reflected various broad and multifaceted sentiments. Like yellow ribbons, the posters defending freedom of expression cartoons (including anti-Islam sentiments).
    Last edited by KC; 23-01-2019 at 10:02 AM.

  84. #8384

    Default

    Infowars and brietbart are certainly not an acceptable alternative, and if anything offer much more far-sided opinions, never retract or update thing they got incorrect.

  85. #8385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Holy crap.

    This girl has posted A LOT of blatantly homophobic and racist tweets. Has no problem using the n word and other blatantly racist slurs. She is in the process of deleting them like crazy, but if you doubt me you can take a look at all the screenshots of her Twitter account here:

    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...racist-tweets/

    Is she supposed to be a hero of yours? Or one of the "good people" on the left? Why on earth would you link this?
    Just sharing things i find from other perpesctives. You’re my only hero

  86. #8386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Infowars and brietbart are certainly not an acceptable alternative, and if anything offer much more far-sided opinions, never retract or update thing they got incorrect.
    In MrAltReich's world view, Faux News is a biased liberal media outlet with intolerant far-left ideology and dehumanizing judgement...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  87. #8387
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    Just glad I have a mind of my own and not falling into a pit, on any side, like I see so many doing.

  88. #8388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Reflexively attacking someone because they were wearing a red ball cap does not make you a better person. You hate those kids because they are conservative, not because of anything they allegedly did wrong.

    Those 15-year olds showed a lot of poise, given all the provocation (from adults) happening around them.
    I don't hate those kids because they are conservative. I don't hate those kids at all. But they were not innocent victims. One group was provoking them (pro tip: It wasn't the Native Americans.) I don't think the provocation phased them, as they went all out with the Tomahawk Chop as an elder performed ceremonial singing. There was another story happening, and when that story came out, the snowflakes scrambled to make it overshadow the first story, and the media absolutely caved.

    You, and everybody, witnessed blatant large scale, frenzied racism against an old man. You can tell by the behaviour of all of those kids, who had the power in that situation. It wasn't Nathan Phillips, regardless of who approached who. But won't someone please think of the aggrieved white, Catholic, teenage boys!

    I wonder if the hysterical masses securing those douchebags in their bubble would be as quick to protect them from the Catholic church itself.

    The "Old Man" was antagonizing a group of students. Is it still "ceremonial singing" when you clearly approach people and pound a drum inches from their ears?

    Spewing outright lies to the media about the incident is what Nathan Phillips did do. There is no doubt about that.

    Edit: Crap, I let Whatagame's rubbish drag me into a Trump thread.
    Antagonizing? You must have a hair trigger if you go to a protest and are antagonized by a calm protester protesting at the protest (doth I protest too much.) My comments aren't primarily about the kid that was front and centre. I think he was trolling, others think he was stoic. Only he knows what was going on in his head. What is not disputable is the rest of his group mocking Phillips, many using a racist chant. How does "the whole story" make that okay?

    What are these "outright lies" you speak of from Nathan Phillips. Honest question, as I haven't followed the latest coverage.

  89. #8389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Just glad I have a mind of my own and not falling into a pit, on any side, like I see so many doing.
    That's exactly what someone who's fallen into a pit would say.

  90. #8390
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    Ya, I know, I voted for Justin Trudeau. Lol

  91. #8391

    Default

    More on how f’d up the world is. Some so called reporter/news writers/media commentators jump to conclusions, take shortcuts, spin or sloppily type up what a guy said and utterly fail at accurate reporting and then when it’s found to be inaccurate and/or misleading, the original guy takes the blame from other so-called reporters/news writers/media commentators because they too were utter failures conducting their basic fact checking responsibilities.


    Did Nathan Phillips Falsely Claim He Was a Vietnam Veteran?

    “...
    Other sites, such as the “Conservative Daily News,” more harshly classified the discrepancy over Phillips’ military service as “stolen valor” and claimed that the Native American elder had outright lied about his military service.

    ...

    FACT CHECK: Did Nathan Phillips Falsely Claim He Was a Vietnam Veteran?

    “While it’s true that a number of news accounts incorrectly labeled Phillips as a “Vietnam veteran,” that label did not, as far as we can tell, originate with Phillips himself. The Native American activist told reporters in January 2019 that he was a “Vietnam-times” or “Vietnam-era” veteran, meaning that he was an active member of the armed services during the time of U.S. military involvement in Vietnam. Phillips did not, however, claim in any interview we’ve yet found that he had been deployed to Vietnam during that period.

    News outlets such as the Washington Post, CNN, and the New York Times all published updates to their stories to correct such mistaken reporting:”


    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/na...etnam-veteran/

    The above reference to Conservative Daily News site’s
    use of “Stolen Valor” may be the writeup below. Fascinating:


    Special Category Of Scumbag: Nathan Phillips Is Stolen Valor And Raised Money Claiming To Be A Vietnam Veteran - Conservative Daily News

    “Of course, they had to Nathan Phillips claimed he served in Vietnam in 1976 when talking to reporters The Toledo Blade, but as you probably know the war ended in 1973.”

    ...

    “Dear friends this is about as sociopathic and evil as it gets which is saying something when we are talking about the bloodthirsty guillotine left.”

    https://www.conservativedailynews.co...etnam-veteran/



    So the above writer reads what another writer states, not Phillips himself, and then says “Phillips claimed...”




    The Blade



    “Because many believe pow wows originated to honor warriors, veterans are always honored.

    Mr. Phillips served in the Marine Corps in Vietnam from 1972-76. While he waited to participate in the grass dance, he explained that many nations believe it to be the oldest form of dance in this hemisphere, “


    https://www.toledoblade.com/frontpag...-Tecumseh.html



    Last edited by KC; 23-01-2019 at 10:37 PM.

  92. #8392
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    More on how f’d up the world is. Some so called reporter/news writers/media commentators jump to conclusions, take shortcuts, spin or sloppily type up what a guy said and utterly fail at accurate reporting and then when it’s found to be inaccurate and/or misleading, the original guy takes the blame from other so-called reporters/news writers/media commentators because they too were utter failures conducting their basic fact checking responsibilities.


    Did Nathan Phillips Falsely Claim He Was a Vietnam Veteran?

    “...
    Other sites, such as the “Conservative Daily News,” more harshly classified the discrepancy over Phillips’ military service as “stolen valor” and claimed that the Native American elder had outright lied about his military service.

    ...

    FACT CHECK: Did Nathan Phillips Falsely Claim He Was a Vietnam Veteran?

    “While it’s true that a number of news accounts incorrectly labeled Phillips as a “Vietnam veteran,” that label did not, as far as we can tell, originate with Phillips himself. The Native American activist told reporters in January 2019 that he was a “Vietnam-times” or “Vietnam-era” veteran, meaning that he was an active member of the armed services during the time of U.S. military involvement in Vietnam. Phillips did not, however, claim in any interview we’ve yet found that he had been deployed to Vietnam during that period.

    News outlets such as the Washington Post, CNN, and the New York Times all published updates to their stories to correct such mistaken reporting:”


    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/na...etnam-veteran/
    Wow!

  93. #8393

    Default

    Trump tweets tonight that he will bow to Pelosi and postpone his State of the Union Address until after the government reopens.

    Elections have consequences. Trump lost his unchecked power in November.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  94. #8394

    Default

    How the modern world works:


    Chinese whispers - Wikipedia


    “The game is often played by children as a party game or on the playground. It is often invoked as a metaphor for cumulative error, especially the inaccuracies as rumours or gossip spread,[1] or, more generally, for the unreliability of human recollection or even oral traditions.”

    ...

    “A variant of Chinese whispers is called Rumors. In this version of the game, when players transfer the message, they deliberately change one or two words of the phrase (often to something more humorous than the previous message). Intermediate messages can be compared. ”

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers



    Gaslighting - Wikipedia

    “Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.[1][2]”

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting


    Moving the goalposts - Wikipedia

    “Moving the goalposts is an informal fallacy in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded. That is, after an attempt has been made to score a goal, the goalposts are moved to exclude the attempt.[3]

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts




    Creeping normality - Wikipedia

    “Creeping normality or death by a thousand cuts[1] is the way a major change can be accepted as the normal situation if it happens slowly, in unnoticed increments. The change would be regarded as objectionable if it took place in a single step or short period.

    The phrase was coined by American scientist, Jared Diamond, in his 2005 book, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. “


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeping_normality




    Boiling frog - Wikipedia

    “The boiling frog is a fable describing a frog being slowly boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of sinister threats that arise gradually rather than suddenly.”

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog



    Last edited by KC; 23-01-2019 at 10:54 PM.

  95. #8395

    Default

    ^ yes

    Nixon was acting privately like a mob boss trying to intimidate and silence witnesses.

    Then they found out that there were tapes.

    Trump acts like a mob boss and then acts to intimidate and silence witnesses like Cohen by threatening his family.

    Trump does it openly on Twitter and on TV
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  96. #8396

    Default

    Oh Kellyanne, what I wouldn't do to be a fly on the wall when Trump calls you into the oval office tomorrow.

    BUSTED: Kellyanne Conway reportedly ID’d as leaker ‘bad-mouthing’ White House to press

    Former President Donald Trump White House aide Cliff Sims revealed that White House Counselor Kellyanne Conway is well-known leaker in the West Wing. In his new book “Team of Vipers” Sims describe his time in the White House.

    Vanity Fair published an excerpt from Sim’s book that describes a situation where he saw Conway personally texting messages to reporters.


    “At that point, personal phones had not yet been banned in the West Wing, so Kellyanne was sitting at her desk texting away. And since her iMes*sage account was tied to both her phone and her laptop, which she must not have even considered, I could inadvertently see every conversation she was having,” Sim’s said after explaining he was working on Conway’s computer for work.

    “Over the course of 20 minutes or so, she was having simultaneous conversations with no fewer than half*-dozen reporters, most of them from outlets the White House frequently trashed for publishing ‘fake news,'” he wrote.


    He added, “Journalists from The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN, Politico, and Bloomberg were all popping up on the screen. And these weren’t policy conversations or attempts to fend off attacks on the president. As I sat there trying to type, she bashed Jared Kushner, Reince Priebus, Steve Bannon, and Sean Spicer, all by name.

    https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/bus...ouse-to-press/

  97. #8397

    Default

    Yeah, not discriminating is just so burdensome.


    On Wednesday, the Trump administration made a move that allows the religious right to use the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act to discriminate against foster parents whose religious views conflict with an agency, according to The Intercept.


    Steven Wegner, the principal deputy assistant secretary at the Health and Human Services Administration for Children and Families signed a waiver giving special permission to a "federally funded Protestant foster care agency in South Carolina to break federal and state law, using strict religious requirements to deny Jewish, Muslim, and Catholic Parents from fostering children in its network."


    Wagner allowed the agency to keep federal funding despite state Department of Social Services warning that it was violating nondiscrimination law at the federal and state level as well as internal agency policy when they denied Jewish parents from fostering children. Anyone who is not a Protestant Christian is denied the ability to foster through this agency, including those who are agnostic and atheist.


    Lynn Johnson, assistant secretary for HHS Administration for Children and Families, said “We have approved South Carolina’s request to protect religious freedom and preserve high-quality foster care placement options for children. By granting this request to South Carolina, HHS is putting foster care capacity needs ahead of burdensome regulations that are in conflict with the law.”"

    https://mavenroundtable.io/theintell...TfU3-R9d08FLRQ

  98. #8398

    Default

    I don't know why people are so surprised that Trump let the government run out of money and created the shutdown.

    He runs the government just like his businesses...

    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  99. #8399

    Default

    Billionaire Wilbur Ross, U.S. commerce secretary, doesn't understand why unpaid federal workers use food banks
    Ross, a billionaire, said on CNBC: 'I know they are, and I don't really quite understand why ... The idea that it's paycheck or zero is not a really valid idea'

    https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...oss-food-banks
    WASHINGTON – Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross on Thursday said he didn’t understand why federal workers were visiting food banks during the government shutdown, saying they should instead seek low-interest loans from banks and credit unions to supplement their lost wages.

    “I know they are, and I don’t really quite understand why,” Ross said on CNBC when asked about federal workers going to food banks. Ross is a billionaire and longtime friend of President Donald Trump.


    “The idea that it’s paycheck or zero is not a really valid idea,” he said. “There’s no reason why some institution wouldn’t be willing to lend.”

    Ross leads one of the agencies that is directly affected by the shutdown, and many of his employees haven’t been paid for weeks.
    Maybe because, if Wilbur Ross needs more money to buy another yacht, he just steals the money from his friends.

    Wilbur Ross is accused of swindling $120 million from associates and 'could rank among the biggest grifters in American history,' according to a bombshell Forbes report
    https://www.chron.com/technology/bus...n-13137677.php
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  100. #8400

    Default

    WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A furious Donald Trump told reporters on Friday morning that it was “a total disgrace” that the Federal Bureau of Investigation had apparently not been affected by the government shutdown.
    https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...ed-by-shutdown


    Trump, who appeared agitated and was gripping his television remote as he spoke on the White House lawn, said that he had been under the impression that F.B.I. agents had been furloughed and were not going to work.


    “You have people across the country, in national parks and places like that, who are not at work, and somehow the F.B.I. is working around the clock?” Trump said. “I think it’s a total disgrace. It’s a sick situation.” Trump said that he would call an emergency meeting of his Cabinet to “get some answers” about why the F.B.I. was working during the shutdown.


    “Let’s say you were trying to leave the country in a hurry with your family—would the F.B.I. be at the airport to stop you?” he asked. “What good is this shutdown, anyway?”
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •