Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110
Results 10,901 to 10,942 of 10942

Thread: Trump - misc

Gee, Trump is parroting Russian talking points. Where have we heard that before?

Democratic counsel highlights Putin's hand in inventing Trump's Ukraine conspiracy theory

During his questioning of National Security Council official and Ukraine expert Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, Democrats’ lead counsel Daniel Goldman asked Vindman whether he knew that Putin had promoted the baseless theory that Ukraine interfered in the 2016 U.S. elections.

Q: At the time of this July 25 call, Col. Vindman, were you aware of the theory that Ukraine intervened or interfered in the 2016 U.S. election?

A: I was.

Q: Are you aware of any credible evidence to support this theory?

A: I am not.

Q: Are you also aware that Vladimir Putin had promoted this theory of Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election?

A: I am well aware of that fact.

Q: And ultimately which country did U.S. intelligence services determine to have interfered in the 2016 election?

A: It is the consensus of the entire intelligence community that the Russians interfered in U.S. elections in 2016.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...spiracy-theory

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Devin Nunes says “Well, Ambassador and Mr. Morrison, I have some bad news for you, TV ratings are way down, Way down,”

Impeachment Hearings Give Fox News Highest Ratings Of 2019

With an average audience of 1.697 million viewers, Fox News was the most-watched basic cable network in total day ratings, as compiled by Nielsen. Fox led MSNBC (1.294 million), ESPN (1.129 million), Hallmark Channel (898,000) and CNN (823,000).

In prime time, Fox easily outpaced its cable news rivals, finishing behind ESPN as the second most-watched network in cable with an average audience of 2.832 million viewers. MSNBC was third overall with 2.007 million, followed by Hallmark Channel (1.602 million) and Home and Garden TV (1.049 million).

While Republicans on the Intelligence Committee repeatedly suggested that the impeachment process was a distraction from the work of government–and something the American people were not interested in–ratings show there was no shortage of interest in news coverage of this next phase of the impeachment process, with witnesses including former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch making their first comments in public about President Trump’s phone call to the president of Ukraine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoy.../#3977bac83b51

Only 4 or 5 million viewers? Essentially nobody.

Up to 80 million watched the Nixon Impeachment when the US was less populated on a few networks

Difference now is that people also watch their phone , their laptop, multiple TV channels, and even read the C2E forum...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Today, the Republicans got to have their two picks aof witnesses that they hoped would vindicate Trump and his administration.

Volker and Morrison.

"I appreciate the minority's request for these two important witnesses," Schiff said.

Nunes declared the hearing is "act two of today's circus," following Tuesday morning's testimony.

Nunes and the other Republicans wasted no time in trying to throw Volker, Morrison and Vinman under a bus by mocking them, attempting to get sound bites by leading questions and trying to tie them to debunked conspiracy theories.

They even called Lt. Colonel Vinman "Mr.", asked why he was wearing his dress uniform (this is common when military personnel are in front of Congress) and took one of his statements out of context when he told the Congressional hearing that he was offered 3 times to be the Defence Minister of Ukraine and they left put that he testified that he turned it down immediately all three times and reported the incidents to his superiors.

The mean spirited tactics, retweeted by Trump and his family, are meant to try to assassinate the character of Vinman by implying that he had dual loyalties. A coordinated public smear campaign by Trump Republicans on a decorated veteran whose parents brought them out of Ukraine as children and he and his brothers all served in the US military.

A deplorable and disgusting show by Republicans today as they scraped the bottom of the smear barrel.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 19-11-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

As if we did not see this coming.

After weeks of Republicans crying about a "secret closed door kangaroo court in the basement of Congress" and demanded public hearings...

Yesterday, Rep. Senator Ron Johnson said that the PUBLIC hearings were harmful to the country and would be best dealt with behind the scenes...

'It was no secret': Ambassador says quid pro quo came at 'express direction of the President'

US Ambassador Gordon Sondland testified Wednesday there was a quid pro quo for Ukraine to announce investigations into President Donald Trump's political opponents that came from the President's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani at the "express direction of the President."

What's more, Sondland provided House impeachment investigators with emails and texts showing it wasn't just him and Giuliani pushing for the investigations outside government channels — Trump's inner circle knew what was going on, too. He even said he raised concerns with Vice President Mike Pence that the freezing of $400 million in security aid to Ukraine was linked to the investigations

Sondland's testimony is the most damning evidence to date directly implicating Trump in the quid pro quo at the heart of the impeachment inquiry. His public remarks show a link between US security aid and a White House meeting and Ukraine publicly announcing investigations that would help the President politically. From the beginning of Wednesday's hearing, Sondland's comments dragged some of Trump's senior most officials -- including Pence, his chief of staff and his secretary of state -- into the scandal.

"Everyone was in the loop," Sondland said. "It was no secret."
    No doubt that the Republicans will honor their oath to the United States and the Constitution and put principles in place of politics.

No doubt what so ever...

Sondland confirms what everyone already knew but the GOP denied.

Sondland says Ukrainians knew there was a quid pro quo for military aid — because he told them

5/ “I later came to believe that the resumption of security aid would not occur until there was a public statement from Ukraine committing to the investigations of the 2016 election and Burisma, as Mr. Giuliani has demanded.” - Sondland

6/ —>>> Crucially, despite GOP claims, the Ukrainians knew it was a quid pro quo: “I also shared my concerns with the Ukrainians,” says Sondland.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/statu...e-told-them%2F

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    As if we did not see this coming.

After weeks of Republicans crying about a "secret closed door kangaroo court in the basement of Congress" and demanded public hearings...

Yesterday, Rep. Senator Ron Johnson said that the PUBLIC hearings were harmful to the country and would be best dealt with behind the scenes...
    Most likely what he really means is harmful to his political interests. First, they complained about the preliminary part being behind closed doors and then they got their wish and this part is in public. As the saying goes, be careful what you ask for, you may get it. They sure seem to have an unlimited number of straws to grasp at.

After Sondland implicates Pence, Pence tries to back away.

Pence's office released a statement about this testimony. Here's what you need to know.
    From CNN's Kaitlan Collins

In his statement, Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff Marc Short said, “Multiple witnesses have testified under oath that Vice President Pence never raised Hunter Biden, former Vice President Joe Biden, Crowdstrike, Burisma, or investigations in any conversation with Ukrainians or President Zelensky before, during, or after the September 1 meeting in Poland.”

But remember: Sondland did not allege that today. He only said he brought it up with Pence before he went into his meeting with Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky.

“The Vice President never had a conversation with Gordon Sondland about investigating the Bidens, Burisma, or the conditional release of financial aid to Ukraine based upon potential investigations,” Short said, denying what Sondland had alleged.

And he does not deny that Pence was aware that this was out there: Remember that during his CBS interview last month Pence refused to answer whether he was aware of “such a deal,” meaning the conditions for the aid.

After repeated efforts, CBS's Margaret Brennan said, “I haven't gotten a clear answer from you on that though, sir. I do have to leave the interview there. But are you saying that you did not ever hear of such a deal? Is that what I understand you're describing?”

Pence replied, “I’m telling you that all of my interactions with the President, all of my conversations with President Zelensky, were entirely focused on issues of importance to the American people, ending corruption, enlisting more European support--

Brennan: “OK.”

Pence: “— and supporting Ukraine in a way that would restore its territorial integrity and stand by Ukraine for its sovereignty.”

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-19/index.html

This is the handwritten statement Trump read from moments ago

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...d18f98c53649dc

All it takes is guilty on one count. However, conviction in the senate requires a vote of 2/3 of the members before a sitting president can be removed. Clinton charged by the house after their investigation. The senate didn't have the required 2/3 votes and he was not convicted.
    As I recall, it was very close for Clinton and there were a lot of Democrats in the Senate then. It was also clear he did something wrong, but I think the general feeling it was a more private matter not closely related to governing.

I think in a number of ways, Nixon is a better parallel for the Trump situation as the wrongdoing is more about using the power of government to go against political opponents. Of course, Nixon never got impeached because he saw the writing on the wall and resigned before that could happen. Maybe Trump took that quick medical trip because he feels the bone spurs are coming back - can't serve the country with those!

After Sondland implicates Pence, Pence tries to back away.

Pence's office released a statement about this testimony. Here's what you need to know.
    From CNN's Kaitlan Collins

In his statement, Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff Marc Short said, “Multiple witnesses have testified under oath that Vice President Pence never raised Hunter Biden, former Vice President Joe Biden, Crowdstrike, Burisma, or investigations in any conversation with Ukrainians or President Zelensky before, during, or after the September 1 meeting in Poland.”

But remember: Sondland did not allege that today. He only said he brought it up with Pence before he went into his meeting with Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky.

“The Vice President never had a conversation with Gordon Sondland about investigating the Bidens, Burisma, or the conditional release of financial aid to Ukraine based upon potential investigations,” Short said, denying what Sondland had alleged.

And he does not deny that Pence was aware that this was out there: Remember that during his CBS interview last month Pence refused to answer whether he was aware of “such a deal,” meaning the conditions for the aid.

After repeated efforts, CBS's Margaret Brennan said, “I haven't gotten a clear answer from you on that though, sir. I do have to leave the interview there. But are you saying that you did not ever hear of such a deal? Is that what I understand you're describing?”

Pence replied, “I’m telling you that all of my interactions with the President, all of my conversations with President Zelensky, were entirely focused on issues of importance to the American people, ending corruption, enlisting more European support--

Brennan: “OK.”

Pence: “— and supporting Ukraine in a way that would restore its territorial integrity and stand by Ukraine for its sovereignty.”

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-19/index.html
    Maybe this is the real nightmare scenario for Republicans. I think everyone probably already realizes Trump is amoral and some Republicans would be happy to be rid of him, although they seem to have trouble publicly mustering up the courage to say so or do anything. However, Pence is their fallback and someone who tries to come across as being much more moral and virtuous. If this scandal also tarnishes him too, that would be even worse news for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    If this scandal also tarnishes him too, that would be even worse news for them.
    Yep. If they can get Dorito Mussolini & Mother's Favourite Boy out at the same time it's "hello President Pelosi" time.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

What another bust for the Democrats today. Sondland didn't even claim to have any 3rd or 4th hand information (like the other "star witnesses" did) - he literally ASSUMED it all.

These hearings are just a Democrat version of a communist show trial that the Soviets used to do. They have decided Trump is guilty of something, and now are digging around in a desperate attempt to find a crime to pin on him.

Yeah, Sondland had nothing to say. Just that all of Trump's administration were in on it and taking direct orders to get dirt on Biden and force the Ukrainians to do their dirty work by bribery/extortion for Trump to use in his 2020 campaign; as winning would be critical to Trump staying out of federal prison for the rest of his life.

Yeah, Trump is as clean as the bottom of a cesspool.

‘Was there a quid pro quo with regard to the requested White House call and White House meeting? The answer is yes.' - Gordon Sondland in his opening statement

C2E Continued Contributor

This is a very smart and very stable genius right here. Very high IQ. Man, I can't believe anyone can listen to this guy and think he knows anything about anything.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-reads-his-sondland-hearing-notes-to-press-underscores-i-want-no-quid-pro-quo-73756229686

"Who are you going to listen to, me or literally everyone else?"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    These hearings are just a Democrat version of a communist show trial that the Soviets used to do.
    A rather ironic statement given Lt. Col. Vindman's testimony and message to his father yesterday.

Though the idea of the man-baby breaking rocks in a Siberian gulag does make for a pleasing mental image.

‘Was there a quid pro quo with regard to the requested White House call and White House meeting? The answer is yes.' - Gordon Sondland in his opening statement
    This is pretty damning, even his friends can't defend this situation anymore. I suppose the Republicans actually quietly abandoned the no quid pro quo defense a while ago when it became clear it was becoming untenable. They keep making weak arguments and they keep on getting shot down, its actually getting quite embarrassing for them.

Now Trump knows how it feels to be thrown under a bus.

It burns, doesn't it H.L. and MrOilers?

The Republicans should tactically cut their loses, dump Trump, say their;

mea culpa, mea culpa,mea máxima culpa...

and fall on their swords.

Then select a new Presidential candidate, not Pence nor anyone in Trump's orbit, and make a run for 2020. They will lose but at least they have a chance in 2024 if they make a clean break and thoroughly clean house of any Trump supporters.

Otherwise, they are going to be slowly dragged down with the SS Trumpanic.

They will lose but at least they have a chance in 2024 if they make a clean break and thoroughly clean house of any Trump supporters.
    The entire Republican Senate is complicit.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Remember, the FIRST person Trump lies to is himself. Everyone else is just collateral spray...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    They will lose but at least they have a chance in 2024 if they make a clean break and thoroughly clean house of any Trump supporters.
    The entire Republican Senate is complicit.
    comme ci comme ça.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    What another bust for the Democrats today. Sondland didn't even claim to have any 3rd or 4th hand information (like the other "star witnesses" did) - he literally ASSUMED it all.

These hearings are just a Democrat version of a communist show trial that the Soviets used to do. They have decided Trump is guilty of something, and now are digging around in a desperate attempt to find a crime to pin on him.
    Let’s say it really is the case, as you believe it to be, that Trump just innocently wanted Ukraine to investigate corruption or even any corruption related to the so called Russian hoax, then you really have no alternative but to conclude that he’s an incompetent fool. Agree?
    Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 05:23 PM.

He’s either guilty or an incompetent, impotent ignoramus.

Don't underestimate Trump, he is all of the above and corrupt to the core.

The same day as Trump's phone call. The. Same. Day.

Ukraine knew about aid issue as early as July 25. Here's why that matters.

Laura Cooper, a top Pentagon official, just testified that Ukrainian officials knew as early as July 25 that there was an issue with US aid to the country

Why this matters: This undercuts a key Republican rebuttal to accusations of a "quid pro quo" linking the aid to investigations into President Trump's political rivals. In their defense of Trump, Republicans have alleged that no bribery could exist if the Ukrainians weren't aware the aid was being held.

Today, Cooper said some members of her staff recalled receiving emails from the Ukrainian embassy on July 25 — the same day as Trump's much-scrutinized phone call with the Ukrainian president.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...08a3945dd8371d

Without his Daddy's money, and Roy Cohn's thuggery, Trump would be nothing. He's been desperate to find a replacement for both since they died.

The Apprentice/Russians/Saudis/Chinese for money, and a host of co-opted and cooperative thugs and criminals since, up to the US government as we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]Without his Daddy's money, and Roy Cohn's thuggery, Trump would be nothing. He's been desperate to find a replacement for both since they died.
    He always has Uncle Vladimir...

More...

Five takeaways from Gordon Sondland's bombshell testimony

During the hearing, Sondland undercut a key Trump defense and simultaneously confirmed a claim from the whistleblower complaint that triggered the impeachment inquiry.
    Zelensky "had to announce the investigations," Sondland said, referring to the probes into Biden's family and the 2016 election. "He didn't actually have to do them, as I understood it."

Legal experts previously told CNN that this is a critical distinction. Most legitimate investigations are done in secret, so as not to tip off the supposed criminals. But the intense focus on securing a public announcement from Zelensky demonstrates that the scheme was really designed to maximize the political benefit to Trump, instead of a good-faith effort to investigate corruption.

Whether he meant to or not, Sondland confirmed the thrust of the whistleblower complaint, which said Trump's requests for investigations were meant to help his campaign. Trump has argued that he asked for the probes because he wants to clean up corruption in Ukraine. (There is no evidence of wrongdoing or corruption by the Bidens in Ukraine.)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/20/polit...ays/index.html

‘Easy come, easy go’: Sondland embraces his role in history with nonchalance
    The ambassador emerged as a provocative but bewildering witness for the Democrats — he affirmed their assertion of a quid pro quo but expressed none of their outrage.
    By Aaron C. Davis, Rachael Bade and Josh Dawsey

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3a0_story.html

The more things change....

Good find KK. I checked Snopes and it it's authentic.

Amazing that Republicans use the same talking points 45 years later.

Devin Nunes and the GOP counsel after the end of Sondland's testimony today.

C2E SME

That list is almost eerie. Nunes and the counsel's body language there are delightful.

The same look he had when he was 16 and his mom found his secret stash in his sock drawer.

Lev Parnas Helped Rep. Devin Nunes’ Investigations

The indicted Giuliani associate helped arrange meetings and calls in Europe for the Republican congressman in 2018.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lev-pa...investigations

Let's see. Devin Nunes, who has dismissed every piece of evidence brought forward thus far, worked with indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas. Well, isn't that interesting.

Lev Parnas Helped Rep. Devin Nunes’ Investigations

Lev Parnas, an indicted associate of Rudy Giuliani, helped arrange meetings and calls in Europe for Rep. Devin Nunes in 2018, Parnas’ lawyer Ed MacMahon told The Daily Beast.

Nunes aide Derek Harvey participated in the meetings, the lawyer said, which were arranged to help Nunes’ investigative work. MacMahon didn’t specify what those investigations entailed.

Nunes is the top Republican on the House committee handling the impeachment hearings—hearings where Parnas’ name has repeatedly come up.

Congressional records show Nunes traveled to Europe from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, 2018. Three of his aides—Harvey, Scott Glabe, and George Pappas—traveled with him, per the records. U.S. government funds paid for the group’s four-day trip, which cost just over $63,000.

The travel came as Nunes, in his role on the House Intelligence Committee, was working to investigate the origins of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian election-meddling.

Parnas’ assistance to Nunes’ team has not been previously reported. A spokesperson for Nunes did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lev-pa...investigations

Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110