Thread: The First/Last Mile Transit Strategy problem

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default The First/Last Mile Transit Strategy problem

I got thinking about this first/last mile problem and how to make it work. Unlike some who are losing their minds about the public policy option of contracting out a public service to a private service provider, I have no reservations or limitations. If it works, do it.

To make it work, I took a page out of how Alberta Transportation does highway maintenance. From each end of transit route/line at the major transit centres, set up numerous neighbourhood contracts. For instance, if the end of line is Clareview, the city would tender a contract to provide the community transport service to Ebbers, Hairsine, Kirkness, Fraser, etc.

Companies like Uber, Tapp Car, Yellow, Coop, Barrel, Prestige, Checker, and even Diversified and ETS could bid the work.
    There would be so much work to go around everyone would be almost guaranteed a piece of the action.

The contracts would state the level or service to be offered (fixed stops or direct to door), barrier-free services on offer, time available, etc. and payment would be an ETS ticket stub by the rider, with the remaining fare from the city as part of the flat rate contract. There would be performance meaures of course, because the contrats would come open for bidding every 3, 5, 8 years or so.

If the rider wanted the service provider to leave the contracted service area, regular fares without subsidy, would apply, and dispatch would have to ensure cover off in the neighbourhood to maintain performance standards

The winner - taxpayers and riders. Lowest price wins. If Uber wants to blow their brains out and lose money on an 8-year service contract...be my guest. As long as the riders get to where they need to be on time and for the ETS ticket stub price.

And now, please start your lawrels and darts.

C2E SME

I think taxis could get some steady business in neighbourhoods. Perhaps vans could offer neighbourhood pickup/dropoff at bus stop locations.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

I wonder if Tapp Car or other car sharing service would work with LRT.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.