Thread: Looking for DT parking or parkade that can support a pickup truck....

Default Looking for DT parking or parkade that can support a pickup truck....

As title says looking for DT parking or parkade that can support a pickup truck 'comfortably'. I find every parkade DT was constructed when a big vehicle wheels was 16" so 6'3" heights seem very common. I currently park in ECCE Parkade and its 6' 3" height I thought was fine but today was the day I found the one spot that scratched the top of my truck so I'm on the look for an alternative. But:
    1) If you want to judge me cause I don't ride a bicycle, don't reply.
    2) If you want to comment that I should find a different vehicle, don't reply.
    3) If you have little sympathy for my dilemma, don't reply.
    4) If you drive a truck or know someone who drives a truck and parks downtown Edmonton, I'd like to hear from you.

If it's surface parking, I'm fine with it. Ideally, undercover not underground. Anyone have any thoughts?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    As title says looking for DT parking or parkade that can support a pickup truck 'comfortably'. I find every parkade DT was constructed when a big vehicle wheels was 16" so 6'3" heights seem very common. I currently park in ECCE Parkade and its 6' 3" height I thought was fine but today was the day I found the one spot that scratched the top of my truck so I'm on the look for an alternative. But:
    1) If you want to judge me cause I don't ride a bicycle, don't reply.
    2) If you want to comment that I should find a different vehicle, don't reply.
    3) If you have little sympathy for my dilemma, don't reply.
    4) If you drive a truck or know someone who drives a truck and parks downtown Edmonton, I'd like to hear from you.

If it's surface parking, I'm fine with it. Ideally, undercover not underground. Anyone have any thoughts?
    We have a Ford Expedition and when we do need to park downtown we use the YMCA parkade. plenty of overhead space.

You can park for free in the 106 AV 106 ST area if you are DT before 7:30. Little bit of a walk to the core but you're getting exercise while saving thousands of dollars per year.

EPCOR Tower - 7 ft. 1inch

Now here's a great thread!

A list of parkade clearances downtown would be great. I just never bothered to even try to take my truck downtown (it wasn't even known to fit many garages).
    Last edited by KC; 20-07-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HRJ View Post
    That actually makes sense. Epcor would probably want to have some of their engineers/workers driving in for meetings with pickups. I'd expect Stantec to have a high parkade when its done for similar reasons. The parkade where Ranger trucks park when they have to come to the government forestry department might be deep, as well.

Good thread. Man, so many times I see pickup drivers nervously have to back out of a parkade entrance (an embarrassing thing to have to do when theres a lineup behind you) The OP is correct it seems all parkades are quite similar heights in this regard and I've often wondered where pickups do get parked.

I've looked through COE parking information and I can't find information on specific clearances of parkades, that said, I'm terrible at navigating information from the COE.

I'll mention as well that variances exist as well and as little as 1-2 inches of variance or settling of parking lot slab connections and what is said to be a certain clearance is not always that clearance. I've lost a couple roof mount antennaes due to this. I don't even replace them. MP3 killed the radiostar...
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Older parkades tend be more like 6'6", with some spots lower because of beams, mechanical etc. Newer parkades tend to go for at least 6'10", which should be good for all but the most 'berta of rig rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Older parkades tend be more like 6'6", with some spots lower because of beams, mechanical etc. Newer parkades tend to go for at least 6'10", which should be good for all but the most 'berta of rig rockets.
    This is likely true. The 6'3" yellow PVC pipe at the entrance must allow for a slight variance to compensated for inconsistent beams etc. My new truck is not altered in any way. The YMCA and Epcor are great suggestions.
    This may be a place for a list to start. Even post rates (monthly). Hell, might be an opportunity for someone to compile a list on a website; ParkingYEG?. There are a number of third party lot providers beyond Impark in the city that many don't know and such a site may help so one doesn't have to search 10 different websites. Kinda like Trivago for parking lots? I'm too internet clumsy (and lazy) to do it. Perhaps even such a site exists? My search didn't find anything like it tho'. Here's a sample:

Edmonton City Centre East Parkade (or ECCE Parkade)
    Entrance is on the north side of 102A Ave., between 100 St. & 101 St.
    (Aboveground Clearance 6'3")
    (Underground Clearance 6'4")
    Address: 10020 ‐ 102 A Avenue
    LOT #1
    Monthly Rates:
    $250.00 Aboveground Unheated (randomized)
    $340.00 Underground Heated (randomized)
    $340.00 Street Level (reserved)
    $100.00 Motorcycles (street level – randomized)
    Available from April until September only.

East Preferred Parkade‐ Monthly Parking Only
    (nested within the Edmonton City Centre east loading dock)
    Entrance on the south side of 102A Ave., between 100 St. & 101 St.
    (Clearance 7'4")
    Address: 10088 ‐ 102 Avenue
    LOT #2
    Monthly Rates:
    $340.00 Heated Underground (randomized)
    $405.00 Heated Underground (reserved single stall)
    $520.00 Tandem Heated Underground (reserved ‐ for a set of two stalls)
    Edmonton City Centre West Parkade (or ECCW Parkade)
    Entrance on the west side of 102 St. just south of 103 Ave.
    (Clearance 6'3")
    Address: 10231 ‐ 103 Street
    LOT # 7
    Monthly Rate:
    $250.00 Aboveground Unheated (randomized)
    $305.00 Street Level (reserved)

Bay Parkade (nested within the ECCW Parkade)
    Entrance on the east side of 103 St., thru the ECCW Parkade
    (Clearance 6'3")
    Address: 10200 ‐ 102 Street
    LOT #8
    Monthly Rates:
    $340.00 Heated Underground (randomized)
    $400.00 Heated Underground (reserved single stall)
    $500.00 Tandem Heated Underground (reserved ‐ for a set of two stalls)
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by HRJ View Post
    Just called. Have to be a tenant in the building to get monthly rate. D-oh.
    Last edited by bpeters; 21-07-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Call a couple of hotels in the downtown core. Sometimes they have more parking spaces than guests. They might have a parking lot that has clearance and may rent you a monthly stall. Try Delta 102 St. 102 Ave.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Long Term Contributor

Epcor promotes their parkade as truck friendly.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Epcor promotes their parkade as truck friendly.
    Agreed but if I'm not a tenant in the building I can't rent monthly. The 'truck friendly' tag is for event parking.

I park at the Scotia tower it's tight but I have cleareance and am confident I'd never rub with current vehicle( always wondered how much spare distance I have?) I drive a stock new f150. Been parking there for years bc $3.00 evenings are amazing.