Thread: Static IP address for home pc

Default Static IP address for home pc

I'm a Telus Residential subscriber.

What options do I have to get a static IP address?

I've heard that a VPN is one option. Do all VPNs mIntain static IP addresses?
    Recommendations?

Other options?

what are you trying to do that requires a static ip? i believe Telus can provide you one for an extra cost per month, at least they used to on business accounts.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Most ISP's will provide a static IP for a fairly small charge.

I use Shaw's Business Service that offers static IPs and the ability to run servers. I'm sure Telus has similar.

Or, use a service like DynDNS that lets you manage a domain name on a dynamic IP address.

You'll likely need a business account to be able to run a server with a static IP address though. Residential accounts don't usually allow one to run a server.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

KC, what are you needing a static IP for? The answer to that question will dictate what's the best solution for you.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Accessing a third party database.

Backend connection I believe
    Last edited by KC; 22-07-2017 at 12:58 AM.

So you are hosting the database on your computer, or you are using your computer to access a database?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    So you are hosting the database on your computer, or you are using your computer to access a database?
    Just accessing via software on my pc.

Is the database IP-restricted at all? Meaning that someone in charge of the database is only allowing a single IP address to access it?

Yeah and I think it's part of the host's restrictions in some contract clause.

Okay, awesome. Then something like DynDNS wouldn't help you, you need to get an actual static IP address from your ISP. I'm with Shaw, and my IP address changes once every couple of years, making it pretty close to a static IP. It may work for you if you can contact someone and have them update your IP address quickly, otherwise you'll have to contact your ISP and see what they charge for a static IP. It seems Shaw says you need a business account in order to get a static IP, and that's a lot more money than a home account if I'm remembering correctly.

Telus is the most restrictive of the providers in terms of what they'll let you do on a residential connection. No static IPs, no open port 80 or 443. They really don't want people running servers or otherwise utilizing the residential network for business or corporate purposes.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Telus is the most restrictive of the providers in terms of what they'll let you do on a residential connection. No static IPs, no open port 80 or 443. They really don't want people running servers or otherwise utilizing the residential network for business or corporate purposes.
    So besides me there are home based businesses, entrepreneurs, etc. aren't there?

Is it an uncommon need?
    Last edited by KC; 24-07-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Okay, awesome. Then something like DynDNS wouldn't help you, you need to get an actual static IP address from your ISP. I'm with Shaw, and my IP address changes once every couple of years, making it pretty close to a static IP. It may work for you if you can contact someone and have them update your IP address quickly, otherwise you'll have to contact your ISP and see what they charge for a static IP. It seems Shaw says you need a business account in order to get a static IP, and that's a lot more money than a home account if I'm remembering correctly.
    How about VPNs?

^^ Yep. But if they require specific functionality that's not available on a residential plan they'll be paying for a business-class account or on a less restrictive network than Telus.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    How about VPNs?
    A VPN would work if you could find one that provides you with a static ip. You would start your VPN, it would assign you your reserved IP address, and then you would hit your database.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with static IP VPNs. You should search around, but you'll probably find a lot of nonsense out there (review sites that are operated by one of the companies, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    So besides me there are home based businesses, entrepreneurs, etc. aren't there?

Is it an uncommon need?
    It's relatively uncommon to need a static IP and the ability to run a (web, mail, etc) server, since most businesses outsource services or server space. It's very uncommon to need a static IP address to access a database.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

It's uncommon, unless the database needs to be secured, and they're choosing one of the methods to be IP address (and, obviously, a password). I run a database-driven website, and long ago we blocked any non-local IP address (127.0.0.1) from accessing it because it only needed to be accessed through the server and website. Had I needed to access the database from home, I would have added my IP address to the filtering to prevent others from being allowed into it.

How about VPNs?
    A VPN would work if you could find one that provides you with a static ip. You would start your VPN, it would assign you your reserved IP address, and then you would hit your database.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with static IP VPNs. You should search around, but you'll probably find a lot of nonsense out there (review sites that are operated by one of the companies, etc).
    Yeah the reviews I looked at seemed somewhat suspicious and most seem to have a focus on capabilities I don't need or want. Maybe I'll try to find one that businesses or organizations commonly use.

It's uncommon, unless the database needs to be secured, and they're choosing one of the methods to be IP address (and, obviously, a password). I run a database-driven website, and long ago we blocked any non-local IP address (127.0.0.1) from accessing it because it only needed to be accessed through the server and website. Had I needed to access the database from home, I would have added my IP address to the filtering to prevent others from being allowed into it.
    Thanks for all the information!