Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a domain name change?

Default Time for a domain name change?

Connect2Edmonton seems more like Connect2UsPolitics these days. We have 5 separate, current threads on Trump now and they receive far more posts than any other topic on this site, outside of the downtown for dogs thread(s) that is.

I think its time to change the domain to reflect our new reality.

connect2trump.com

^or do what I suggested some time ago, have one trump thread.

Ahh yes that strategy worked so well for you on the omar thread that you felt the need to open a second veiled omar thread...

oh Mike. You funny.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Regardless of how consistent moahunter has been in applying his own suggestion, I think it's a good one. There's little reason to have multiple threads about Trump.

I actually wish there wasn't so much discussion about the guy on a forum supposedly dedicated to Edmonton, but that's life. He's been sucking up the oxygen on numerous other message boards that I know of, as well.
    Last edited by overoceans; 25-07-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Why complain that there is a US Politics section? It is but one section on this forum, and there are dozens of Edmonton-related sections.

I mean, what's the problem?

It fills up the front page, and it fills up the new posts page.

this is Edmonton. Not Washington. We are in Canada, not the USA. There's about a gazillion forums out there to discuss US Politics.

This is why an "Ignore this Thread" function would be very handy.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Lefties hate when they can't control the message ...they losing the info war, exposed for the fakes they are.

Did you know this forum was created as a propoganada machine for the Scamdel left ? Taxpayers money !

It's easier for longtime users to just delete the bookmark and let the alt-right anti-intellectuals have their hijacked mudpit to themselves. I can get informed, meaningful dialogue from the entire political spectrum pretty much anywhere, this site is rapidly devolving to the lowest common denominator in some ill-fated attempt at being fair and equitable to its users... those that bother to stay, anyway.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

this is Edmonton. Not Washington. We are in Canada, not the USA. There's about a gazillion forums out there to discuss US Politics.
    Well, my thread on Trump a couple years ago (maybe the first such thread) was about how he'd impact Edmonton... that thread got closed. The other threads however are far more entertaining. It is really too bad that every new post on the same topic squeezes out other 'informative' posts. Bad money drives out good.

Myself, I've always been amazed at the length of the smartphone wars thread. The joy of splitting hairs.
    Last edited by KC; 25-07-2017 at 11:22 PM.

But ours is made in Edmonton.

I think it's fascinating to see how people think and adopt sides, show frustration etc. (Excluding myself of course.)

I'd rather C2E than work!

I wish all the trump thread were under one heading( forum)..just an idea.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    It's easier for longtime users to just delete the bookmark and let the alt-right anti-intellectuals have their hijacked mudpit to themselves. I can get informed, meaningful dialogue from the entire political spectrum pretty much anywhere, this site is rapidly devolving to the lowest common denominator in some ill-fated attempt at being fair and equitable to its users... those that bother to stay, anyway.
    Basically this, and a lack of new members. It's the same dozen or two people arguing the same things over and over. But, that's nothing unique to this board. I've seen it happen with others in totally different subjects. If a board doesn't hit a certain critical mass of users, it will tend to stagnate after too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Basically this, and a lack of new members. It's the same dozen or two people arguing the same things over and over. But, that's nothing unique to this board. I've seen it happen with others in totally different subjects. If a board doesn't hit a certain critical mass of users, it will tend to stagnate after too long.
    From what I've seen, membership on most message-boards peaked around ten years ago, with a steady decline since then. Likely this corresponds with the rise of social media.

I still prefer this format, since I find it easier to follow than most comments sections or social-media set-ups. I tried reading one of those threads on reddit earlier today, and it's almost impossible to tell where one subthread ends and another begins. (Interesting discussion, though)

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Lefties hate when they can't control the message
    Yup. When they can't bully people into being quiet, they silence opposing views through censorship or misdirection (much like the intent behind this thread). It's so disgusting. Truth always comes out the other end, but you need to let everyone talk it through, otherwise it ends up like North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    From what I've seen, membership on most message-boards peaked around ten years ago, with a steady decline since then. Likely this corresponds with the rise of social media.
    Yeah, Facebook started to boom around 2007, and Twitter came out a couple years afterward. Now those formats are starting to die, as kids all go to Snapchat and newer forms of online discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Yup. When they can't bully people into being quiet, they silence opposing views through censorship or misdirection (much like the intent behind this thread). It's so disgusting. Truth always comes out the other end, but you need to let everyone talk it through, otherwise it ends up like North Korea.
    Ahh, talk is boring, slow and requires compromise. I figure the vast majority of people are capable of talk and compromise and win win or at least win and loose little. A few people lack that capacity and can't accept any loss. Or they see a win win as a loss. Like near any religion and religious beliefs, the winner will take all, the loser must suffer and be humiliated.

So the vast majority of a population just want to go on with their lives slowly trying to improve them, while just a few people can't accept that and manage to rally enough others to start a war. Those few 'abnormals' or outliers (on some issue) end up disrupting everyone else's life, destroying all that was built-up, all that was good along the way. No compromising on one's principles...

Here in Edmonton the arena development disrupted everything else and tossed all other priorities aside. The no taxpayer money hardliners and profit motives collided to create a crisis. And on the forum, a constant back and forth battle. The smartphone thread battle between to "brands" seems nonsensical but take a look. People are actually serious in their attacks on the other brand and it's purchasers. Henderson hostile postings. "Downtown", which like most "principles" can't even be adequately defined - even by the adherents- elicited endless hostilities and personal attacks. So like weirdos committing crimes, they dominate the news and attract far more attention than they deserve. Screwing up everyone's access to good, useful, positive news that the the vast majority could actual use.
    Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017 at 08:21 AM.

I'm just suggesting we don't need 10 threads on trump. Obama certainly didn't have this many active threads.

I'm just suggesting we don't need 10 threads on trump. Obama certainly didn't have this many active threads.
    Admin decided that one wasn't working and so users were asked to start meaningfully topical threads. I say, decision made, live with it. Poke fun, yes, (see my comment several posts up) but live with it.

Any topic that gets people riled up gets emotional and hostile. It's great at showing the world that we are no different than them in many ways. It also shows the world how free speech 'works' for us. It also shows how nonsense can dominate a few people's lives - for good or bad. The Trump threads are like 'academic' discussions - among non-academics (and it shows). They are also immensely entertaining if you have a sense of humour about the craziness of life.

Some people see in 3D or more, in my view, to others the world is just 2D and should only be 1D. So for them black and white, left and right, liberal and conservative, Christian and Muslim, urban and suburban...
    Binary views:

Two tribes: A divided Northern Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...30921?mode=amp
    Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017 at 08:44 AM.

X2.
    Get rid of the entire C2E cafe section. Or else this site is dead within a year.
    Really, it was the Real Estate and DEvelopment board that grew this site and how most people came to join the site. Now there's days when I come to the activity stream and the only posts are about US politics. As mentioned, there are hundreds and hundreds of other places to get your voice heard if you somehow feel like that is going to change the course of history.

There's just as much spurious reasoning & terrible rhetoric in the Real Estate & Development forum as anywhere else on the site & the clique-y nature of the sub-community there combined with the near-singular voice that comes out of the echochamber is directly responsible for the vast, vast majority of the decline of C2E in both posters & post quality. The Trump & politics threads wouldn't have had the opportunity to capture most of the momentum on the site the last bit if the "Downtown Uber Alles" contingent hadn't winnowed down the crowd to next-to-nothing over the last decade.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    X2.
    Get rid of the entire C2E cafe section. Or else this site is dead within a year.
    Really, it was the Real Estate and DEvelopment board that grew this site and how most people came to join the site. Now there's days when I come to the activity stream and the only posts are about US politics. As mentioned, there are hundreds and hundreds of other places to get your voice heard if you somehow feel like that is going to change the course of history.
    Trump is now. Soon it's going to fade as the provincial election looms.

Look at the muni and provincial campaign politics threads. Same stuff. Then the post election follow up threads. Same stuff. Incredible hostility and childish attempts at character assassination, etc. Great fun - zero value.

However, it seems to me that the issue triggering this thread is that everything revolves around the dominance of an issue on the "Activity Stream".

People's various interests and orientations collide with others and then some trigger event causes the discussion/ debate / war of insults to dominate the one-window access path. Those with material/physical world orientation tire of the political-social banter. Those with a social orientation tire of the floor height, glazing colour, building razing discussions. Then there's those with a small is better world orientation clashing with the bigger is better orientation (often seen as environment vs development). Note: Yes, I just pulled this out of my *** - I reserve the right to change my might and say I was totally clued out.)

Activity Streams for each grouping and no consolidated stream might work like a "good neighbour fence".
    Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.

What's an Activity Stream?

I still prefer this format, since I find it easier to follow than most comments sections or social-media set-ups. I tried reading one of those threads on reddit earlier today, and it's almost impossible to tell where one subthread ends and another begins. (Interesting discussion, though)
    I can't get reddit or twitter either. I have trouble discerning the convo in discussion trees and who's comment is who's and whats going on there. I've tried some tutorials and I still don't get those formats or why people would prefer them. Theres some interesting content, sure, just the formats of those are so messy.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Can't agree with this at all. The OP is correct. To come here and see endless discussions on Trump, and Khadr, that has essentially nothing to do with Edmonton (Other than Khadr living here which isn't the disputed issue) is kind of sad.

As mentioned any look at new posts and so much of it is political or political side issues. This has been compounded with recent spurious thread bombing by posters who lose arguments in the one thread and then apparently need to start half a dozen sidebar threads.

Its not about ignoring a few threads. Its that the sum participation on the board has veered to certain odd topics that do not define Edmonton or focus on Edmonton.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I can't get reddit or twitter either. I have trouble discerning the convo in discussion trees and who's comment is who's and whats going on there. I've tried some tutorials and I still don't get those formats or why people would prefer them. Theres some interesting content, sure, just the formats of those are so messy.
    ""Discussion trees." That's a good term for what I was referring to. Thanks.

I really wonder if most people read those things post-by-post, paying attention to each within its chronological context(eg. the way most of us probably read C2E), or if they just scroll down and read whatever posts catch their eye, without worrying much about what came before or after. Maybe I'm just projecting my own ineptness onto others, but I can't imagine that many people find reading those things in context a smooth ride.

^Its an interesting comment. My own take is that they just kind of absorb that which is being stated and pay less attention to who is stating it, what the source is, etc. Social media is like the perfect medium to have false news and lightning fast dissemination of false news.

Of course Twitter and the like often break news but theres ample misinformation, misinterpretation and over interpretation. To the degree where people, famous people, political people, get into hot water for just liking the wrong comment.

Anyway on a messageboard people care more to pay attention to who is saying what. I think this gets largely lost on social media. Which to me makes it just a lot of noise. With some true signal in that white noise.

C2E Continued Contributor

I seldom come on C2E anymore. Look at the activity feed on the main page, see it is all a bunch of noise about US Politics by the same three people and go somewhere else. I imagine I'm not alone as others have already pointed out.

I don't see what the issue is.

There are tons of threads that people are interested in. Some are complaining about the Trump thread but the entire world, let alone Edmonton is affected by what happens in the US and in the White House. If you are not interested in a thread or general topic, go to a thread that you like. Some people want to talk sports the whole day, Go ahead, Share your Passion! There are 872 threads on and 51,000 posts that subject alone! Others want to talk Mass Transit, there are 665 threads and 53,314 posts, Go ahead, Share your Passion! Raves have 788 Threads and 10,496 Posts
    while Rants have 1,224 Threads and 44,914 Posts Go ahead, Share your Passion!

Just on the Fox Towers there are 4,018 Replies and 478,980 Views. Am I specifically interested in that thread, no. Do I mind that it soaks up much of the discussion?, Not in the least. Go ahead, Share your Passion! on Fox Towers.

As far as the OP to this thread, I like Medwards but it is a great amount of hyperbole that it "receives far more posts than any other topic on this site", which is categorically untrue.

Don't want to read about Trump, just don't go there...

Don't blame it on three people, that is demonstrably false.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-07-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

In a month or less the Activity Stream will be full of Oilers talk. And then chatter over the next election.

I like the local perspectives. Though there's not a lot for me from here on the Trump angle except for a couple contributors that find stuff I haven't.

I still think an "Ignore this Thread" feature would be the handiest thing for regulars like me.

Another super-handy thing would be easier search of what threads already exist. I think of starting a thread about something or other and then go searching to see whether there's one already and usually lose interest as I try a couple search terms that don't help.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^^Contextually the bolded is as it concerns Edmonton. The bolded is in context of Edmonton.

As for Politics is it categorically untrue that since the rebuild of this site that it has been the main topical point?

I state the timeframe because a lot of the past posters didn't make the switch. The ones that did are diehards and seemingly diehard about political discussion from anywhere. Trump has nothing to do with Edmonton. jmo, but I don't come here to hear about Trump. I would prefer to hear and see less about him. This is C2E not C2Trump or C2US politics. its the so frequent focus on US Politics that seems so out of place here.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I empathize with some of the angst here. However, the Trump effect has taken over all media forms, social, traditional, basic conversation...etc.

I know I've stopped watching several late night TV shows because from the cold open to the credits it is Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Spicer Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump...

Guests are looking uncomfortable as hosts do their Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump .....

It is like the Monty Python Spam sketch has taken on a new meaning. The menu is Jon Stewart (in drag) saying the specials are Trump Trump Conway Spicer and Trump. or Trump Trump Trump Spicer Bannon and Trump...or Trump Spicer Conway Sessions Trump Bannon and Russia. Then Stephen Colbert is saying, "I'd love me some Trump Trump Conway Spicer and Trump"...while John Oliver is shreaking and shaking his hands wildly (also in drag)..."BUT I DON'T LIKE TRUMP!!!" Then we get Trevor Noah and crew playing the Vikings singing Trump Trump Trump Trump. Trump Trump Trump Trump. Loser TRUUUUUUMP. Evil TRUUUUUUMP....

Yes, there you go Colbert...a cold open for you. It even explains 90% of your show... We're all overdosing on the crap we don't like...and the absurdity of this sketch reflects today. The American dumpster fire is all consuming.

It seems you can't avoid it...even on Connect2Edmonton. It, like spam, is repulsive yet we all are consuming gobs of it.

I go to the New Posts section as a first stop, not What's New. Once the Airshow is over, I will do the upgrade here and then look at the "ignore threads" option.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I don't see what the issue is.

There are tons of threads that people are interested in. Some are complaining about the Trump thread but the entire world, let alone Edmonton is affected by what happens in the US and in the White House. If you are not interested in a thread or general topic, go to a thread that you like. Some people want to talk sports the whole day, Go ahead, Share your Passion! There are 872 threads on and 51,000 posts that subject alone! Others want to talk Mass Transit, there are 665 threads and 53,314 posts, Go ahead, Share your Passion! Raves have 788 Threads and 10,496 Posts
    while Rants have 1,224 Threads and 44,914 Posts Go ahead, Share your Passion!

Just on the Fox Towers there are 4,018 Replies and 478,980 Views. Am I specifically interested in that thread, no. Do I mind that it soaks up much of the discussion?, Not in the least. Go ahead, Share your Passion! on Fox Towers.

As far as the OP to this thread, I like Medwards but it is a great amount of hyperbole that it "receives far more posts than any other topic on this site", which is categorically untrue.

Don't want to read about Trump, just don't go there...

Don't blame it on three people, that is demonstrably false.
    It is an issue of how the information is aggregated and presented upon initial visitation to the site. You hit the "What's New" page, and more often than not, you see a bunch of crap about the US and/or issues outside of Alberta, let alone Edmonton, and peace out. While I understand what you're saying in terms of a wealth of content; ease of access to that content matters on the web. I don't come here to search out content. I come here for quick access to what matters about Edmonton. Right now, that isn't presented to me in a quick manner, so I go elsewhere for the said information, and judging from the comments, others do too. But hey, if you're happy with reading the same thing and perspective from a dwindling number of users because of these issues, then continue on the status quo. Moderation has seemingly vanished too while we're putting complaints on the wall.

TL;DR - Unfortunately, lack of ease of access is resulting in watered down content.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Again, the What's New is programmed to be a quick glance at the last 20 or so posts. That is OOTB delivered from vBulletin. vB5 has other options.The "New Posts" section is only by topic. I can't help it if the world is Trump/politics obsessed.

However, I will look at a better presentation layer in vB5
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Connect2Edmonton seems more like Connect2UsPolitics these days. We have 5 separate, current threads on Trump now and they receive far more posts than any other topic on this site, outside of the downtown for dogs thread(s) that is.

connect2trump.com
    I have a few domains reserved for such an event. If C2E can grow, C2E may not be the right name.

First we take Dirt City,
    Then we take Berlin...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Holy obscure reference Batman...

RichardS

I like Spam. I like Spam a lot...

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Theres 18 different threads with "Trump" in the title on C2E as per a search I did today.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/searc...earchid=435118

I mean c'mon, how does anybody even justify that being a topically valid use of this board and to this extent?

and I don't eat spam, ever. I do apparently consume it though..

I cannot fathom how so many people are getting their knickers all atwist due to people conversing on a topic they don't find interesting/topical/relevant/whatever.

Participation is not mandatory. You are free to ignore whatever & whomever you like. Richard has stated he'll look into providing you a better set of technical solutions down the road but until then perhaps just employ the ol' ostrich defense.

Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Yes, the "ignore threads" solution would be very powerful.

Ineffectual though visitors' first impressions. If the What's New just showed thread titles being updated and not each poster level detail, that might clean up the presentation. (Wasn't it originally like that? Didnt the front page have a Top 10 updated threads listing or something?)

And there were 12 with Obama.

So what's your point?

As far as I recall, the Mods split a few trump threads

^That its about 30 threads too many talking about US Politics. Some of you would love the Political board discussion at hfboards. US Politics and US political views is discussed there nonstop. Its a cesspool, but most any board that gets locked in US politics is.

^That its about 30 threads too many talking about US Politics. Some of you would love the Political board discussion at hfboards. US Politics and US political views is discussed there nonstop. Its a cesspool, but most any board that gets locked in US politics is.
    I'd be fine with closing and archiving all political threads (fed, prov, mini, foreign) - and religious ones too.

US, Canadian, UK (Brexit of late), Russian, Ukrainian, Middle Eastern, etc. politics, religions, wars, trade issues, etc. are all part of the "fabric" of life in Edmonton* but if c2e is better off banning such discussions that's fine with me.

Eg.:
    Note the spin on this thread when the posted article headline said "Alberta government..."

Joe Ceci announces Relaxed Regulations for Patio Spaces

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...r-Patio-Spaces

*I recall Edmontonians being recruited to go to Ukraine to monitor elections. Fine but maybe not suitable topical material for c2e under a narrowed (or restored) mandate.
    Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017 at 07:15 PM.

We could use this! Banning political commentary isn't quashing free speech. C2e would be incentivizing people to find more appropriate forums (and to get the **** out of our faces.)

Sears Canada shuts down Facebook comments amid flood of angry messages - Business - CBC News

"Most of the bitter comments are now gone from the site, but according to Sears Canada, they were not what motivated it to prevent people from making public posts. ..."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...ents-1.4223078

Can someone direct me to the mission statement of the C2E and the forum topic scope?

Early on:

"C2E Forum
    Spread the Word
    Member Map
    This is an innovative online forum created for the purpose of discussing any Edmonton-themed topic of interest.

Become a member (registration is free), and be a part of the world's first true online community that is exclusively dedicated to the global promotion of a geographic region. Because this is your online community, don't be shy about making recommendations to help us achieve our pro-Edmonton objectives. There are a number of ways to participate, but you can start by becoming an Edmonton advocate and "Spreading the Word" by encouraging others to register and share their ideas, thoughts and opinions on a number of topics.

If you want to promote Edmonton, and make this city a better place, here is where you'll find many like-minded people to help make some noise.

Edmonton � and its online community � has finally arrived.

Go ahead. Share your passion! "

Connecting Edmonton with the World!

If you love Edmonton, you've come to the right place. (Unless specified otherwise, any reference to "Edmonton" in this site almost always refers to the entire Edmonton region � all one million-plus of us!)

Edmonton SkylineAnd if you love promoting Edmonton... and speaking out to make this the best place in the world to live, work and visit... we want you as a community member.

Here you will be able to connect and collaborate with like-minded Edmonton enthusiasts from around the world, including many local residents.

Please note that this site wasn't created to duplicate the vast amounts of information about Edmonton that is readily available on Edmonton�s regional web portal www.edmonton.com or all of our Edmonton partner sites.

Instead, the root purpose of this site is to connect all people who are proud of Edmonton and nurture their creative and collaborative ideas to help this region achieve its vast potential. Along the way, we're also going to change some false stereotypes and create new competitive advantages for Edmonton.

We�re also always on the look-out for any business tips. If you have any qualified leads, please send an e-mail, in confidence, to [email protected] for Edmonton Economic Development Corp. to follow-up.

There is no cost to join us. But there is an obligation on every C2E member to respect the community's guidelines and rules. In essence, this site encourages members to express themselves intelligently and make constructive, practical suggestions that will improve Edmonton�s image and quality of life. "

"Edmonton: The Capital of Canada's Bold West

City CentreEdmonton is the largest northerly metropolis in North America and the capital of Alberta -- Canada's most affluent province.

Along with having one of Canada's most acclaimed education and health care systems, Edmonton is also renowned for its arts, professional sports and unsurpassed quality of life just 250 miles east of the Rocky Mountains on the historic North Saskatchewan River.

Edmonton is fortuitously located between Alberta’s fabled oilsands in northern Alberta (the world’s largest source of hydrocarbons) and the United States (the world’s largest consumer of energy). Edmonton has one of Canada’s most diversified regional economies and has been one of Canada’s top-two growth regions, on average, since 1996.

Fort McMurrary Oil SandsMajor projects in Edmonton’s service area were valued at an astounding CDN$97.8 billion in July 2006 -- one of the highest levels of economic activity anywhere on the planet.

To learn more about our amazing city, we invite you to browse through our C2E Forum.

Last Updated: February 1, 2007"

Note: c2e copyrighted materials. Hope it's ok to post c2e material on c2e. If it's not taken, but moved, is it wrong?
    Last edited by KC; 26-07-2017 at 10:08 PM.

So then, the Rants section should also be removed. It does not "connect all people who are proud of Edmonton and nurture their creative and collaborative ideas to help this region achieve its vast potential"

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I'd be fine with closing and archiving all political threads (fed, prov, mini, foreign) - and religious ones too.

US, Canadian, UK (Brexit of late), Russian, Ukrainian, Middle Eastern, etc. politics, religions, wars, trade issues, etc. are all part of the "fabric" of life in Edmonton* but if c2e is better off banning such discussions that's fine with me.

Eg.:Note the spin on this thread when the posted article headline said "Alberta government..."

*I recall Edmontonians being recruited to go to Ukraine to monitor elections. Fine but maybe not suitable topical material for c2e under a narrowed (or restored) mandate.
    KC, I like most of your posts but you are being extremely hypocritical on this issue

You start more threads than just about anyone that are often the most offbeat and irrelevant to the C2E Forum concepts.

In the Off-topic/General Discussion threads alone, you have started over 100 threads!

Here are just a sample of the threads you started

What if Donald Trump becomes President
    When should kids leave home?

How can concrete repair itself?

How dark is your personality?

The nickel. Time for it to go?

Iran - nuclear deal

Men are really creepy

What is a: liberal, conservative, left wing, right wing, elitist, snowflake...

and my favorite

Topless'ness

Eg.:Note the spin on this thread when the posted article headline said "Alberta government..."

KC, I like most of your posts but you are being extremely hypocritical on this issue

You start more threads than just about anyone that are often the most offbeat and irrelevant to the C2E Forum concepts.

In the Off-topic/General Discussion threads alone, you have started over 100 threads!

Here are just a sample of the threads you started

What if Donald Trump becomes President
    When should kids leave home?

How can concrete repair itself?

How dark is your personality?

The nickel. Time for it to go?

Iran - nuclear deal

Men are really creepy

What is a: liberal, conservative, left wing, right wing, elitist, snowflake...

and my favorite

Topless'ness
    Why am I hypocritical? I said I'd be fine with closing and archiving...

So?

I participate in those forums too. Nonetheless I don't have any emotional attachment to them. When it comes to many, many topics, I can take or leave them whether or not I enjoy posting to them.

The creators of C2e had a vision and if the subject matter has strayed and the decision maker(s) want to return it to its roots or head in some other direction then I say go for it. Until some top down direction is imposed on the users, or the users set some direction thrmselves through some methodology, I figure why not throw mud at the wall and see what sticks. The stuff that falls just disappears unless found via a search or scrolling through the history.

Moreover, the beauty of the internet age is that we no longer have to be mentally tethered to the old world of seeing only current events via daily newspapers and tv news and forgetting everything they came before. The world's libraries and universities are now at our fingertips, though many still see the world as limited to today's news (like dementia sufferers).

We can now start a thread, leave it and then return years later to add to it or let a new set of people add their comments on top of a past generation's comments. (That's super cool!) We can add to information and build information over decades like an encyclopedia, a history, a story, a life builds over time. Take Wikipedia - except those users often delete and overwrite information as if they were still limited to 8 1/2 x 11" paper, whereas a forum retains it like someone with hyperthymesia.

As for some of my threads I often try to focus on subject matter that can either benefit Edmonton (cement), challenges our assumptions (oil prices can fall, house prices can fall, and other seemingly remote risks might occur, etc), highlight new and interesting inventions and discoveries that maybe someone here can run with to diversify our economy, reveals to the world that Edmontonians pretty decent people (and not the stereotypical Red Necks). And then there's the random crap that just seemed interesting at the time.

By the way, the Trump thread started in August 2015, was long before many people thought he had a hope in hell of becoming US president, and that thread was asking what the impact would be on us here. Specifically: "What would it mean for Canada, Alberta, Edmonton?"

Like the oil price thread, etc. ships don't turn on dimes and if the captain is blind to the possibility of icebergs ahead, well... you know how it goes.

Now the toplessness thread, should men dye their hair thread ... Those are fine examples of Edmontonians being open minded, modern people. Anyone looking at Edmonton or looking back at c2e in 50 yrs time might find that we weren't as 'backward' or 'closed minded' as they thought.
    Last edited by KC; 27-07-2017 at 02:52 AM.

So then, why close down discussion on a variety of topics that concerns Edmontonians? Why censor? Is it just because of a few threads about Trump? My wife yesterday switched channels from an American station I was watching to get away from news about Trump and American politics. She switched to CBC and they were talking Trump. She switched to CTV and they were talking about repealing Obama care, she switched to another station and they were reporting about Jeff Sessions. Are you suggesting that C2E should stick their head in the sand and not discuss the central issues of the day which affects our lives? Edmonton is not an island.

What is the next plan, banning posts from people who do not live in Edmonton?

Threads and topics are naturally self regulating. If there is no interest in a thread, it falls down the list of active threads and ends up in the bottom of the pile. Some threads are reactivated years later, and if the interest wains, they progress downward in importance. There is no need for censorship on a self regulating forum.

I don't see anything wrong with the forum as it stands. If I don't have a big interest is sports, I don't bother to read or comment on the subject. If I have no interest in Regional Cooperation, I pass it by.

If I don't need to buy pasta today, I don't go down aisle 12 at the grocery store but I do not suggest getting rid of that aisle.

If you don't like the Trump threads, then why are you so active in posting there?

I like reading the posts from you, Medwards, Marcel, Thomas and many others, I learn new insights from people I respect and my opinions change. Why take that away from us. The topics discussed are obviously of interest of the posters so why do we need to censor discussion?

Looks pretty hypocritical to me from several angles.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-07-2017 at 08:24 AM.

BTW, in the C2E today...

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    June Foray, 99. "She was Rocky the Flying Squirrel. She was Natasha Fatale. She was Nell Fenwick. She was Jokey Smurf. She was Cindy Lou Who. She was Granny, owner of Tweety. She was Witch Hazel. She was Chatty Cathy. She was thousands of others."

http://www.newsfromme.com/2017/07/26/june-foray-r-p/
    Thanks kkozoriz for posting that. It brightened my day thinking about all the characters she put her voice to. Lots of memories as a kid watching R&B on CFRN's Popcorn Playhouse...

I doubt that June Foray ever came to Edmonton or had a direct effect on the development of Edmonton.

Too bad that some people intend to change how we get our information...

OK, let's see, there are about 21,000 threads on the C2E forum. 30 threads about US politic according to your count.

3/21,000 = 0.014%!!!

WOW!

Just WOW!

(Sarcasm)

BTW Replacement, I see that you have posted a great many times in the Trump threads including this snippet.

No, it's still a fine maxim & a good guide to avoiding hypocrisy. Why not be consistent with ones convictions and utilize accordingly?..... In statement it seems you acknowledge the fine maxim to avoid hypocrisy and at the same time consider the hypocrisy fallacious.
    A good post that I enjoyed reading. Do you see the connection of the US Politics thread Trump pulls out of Paris ? This affects Edmonton's oil based economy, the air we breathe and the water we drink as well as the costs of energy and everything derived from energy such as the food we eat. You suggestion is that we close down threads like this for some inane reason.

Why not be consistent with ones convictions and utilize accordingly?.....
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-07-2017 at 07:46 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Hello kids!

Ya wanna know what thread is trending in the "What's New" section today?

I'll give you 3 hints, and the first 2 don't count. . [/sarcasm]

finally I've usurped the trump threads! ^

I'm so tired of that subject. I wish people would just stop their incesant posting to it.

^^See, self regulating.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I'm so tired of that subject. I wish people would just stop their incesant posting to it.
    I'm so tired of people incessantly clucking their tongues & posting their commentary/critique about other people's posts outside of the discussion itself. Nothing is more tiresome than metacommentary & the inherent vague air of superiority & condescension that's part & parcel of it.

(Yes, I realize this is a comment about comments about comments. This is not lost on me)

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Do you work at the City now noodle? That's about as good as the plan that plans the plan's plan! .

I thought the City was more "planning committees to plan reports to the committees about the planned reports to plan the committees to plan the plan".

Seems that we are all part of the problem. Let's all say together now: "My clucks are always brilliant, yours are always moronic"

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I thought the City was more "planning committees to plan reports to the committees about the planned reports to plan the committees to plan the plan".
    Oh, sorry. No, no, no. That's only proposed for inclusion in the last 10 year plan, which is still in the planning stage.

let's set up a meeting to plan the scope and mission statement on the how to plan the planning stages of the planning meeting to determine the cost estimates for 2034 COE budget/CityCouncil/administration/EdmontonEconomicDevelopment/communication/newtechnologies/internet/C2EForum/FCOL

See how fun the C2E is!

OK, let's see, there are about 21,000 threads on the C2E forum. 30 threads about US politic according to your count.

3/21,000 = 0.014%!!!

WOW!

Just WOW!

(Sarcasm)

BTW Replacement, I see that you have posted a great many times in the Trump threads including this snippet.

No, it's still a fine maxim & a good guide to avoiding hypocrisy. Why not be consistent with ones convictions and utilize accordingly?..... In statement it seems you acknowledge the fine maxim to avoid hypocrisy and at the same time consider the hypocrisy fallacious.
    A good post that I enjoyed reading. Do you see the connection of the US Politics thread Trump pulls out of Paris ? This affects Edmonton's oil based economy, the air we breathe and the water we drink as well as the costs of energy and everything derived from energy such as the food we eat. You suggestion is that we close down threads like this for some inane reason.

I don't remember the context of the post, what else it contained, or what it was in response to. I don't appreciate, either, you pulling out a select statement, entirely out of context, and applying it to this thread. Or then judging my consistency and convictions via a partially extracted out of context post.

A lot of what is posted anywhere could be contrasted, seemingly, if one utilizes out of context sentence from another thread in order to do it.

btw, why respond to the same post twice without acknowledging? Do you now need 1A and 1B responses to increase the efficacy of your rebuttal?

edit; This is one of the difficulties with taking others posts out of context. You didn't even quote me correctly yet you misrepresented that I had stated all of the above. I did not recall ever stating "No, it's still a fine maxim & a good guide to avoiding hypocrisy." and indeed I didn't.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-07-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: edit clarity

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Nah, because committee plans the study that studies the plan of the plan with the requisite study of the initial planning session that planned the secondary plan. Then they status the planned planning plan with a plan to status the study of the plan's status.

3/21,000 = 0.014%!!!

WOW!

Just WOW!

(Sarcasm)

I don't remember the context of the post, what else it contained, or what it was in response to. I don't appreciate, either, you pulling out a select statement, entirely out of context, and applying it to this thread. Or then judging my consistency and convictions via a partially extracted out of context post.

A lot of what is posted anywhere could be contrasted, seemingly, if one utilizes out of context sentence from another thread in order to do it.

btw, why respond to the same post twice without acknowledging? Do you now need 1A and 1B responses to increase the efficacy of your rebuttal?

edit; This is one of the difficulties with taking others posts out of context. You didn't even quote me correctly yet you misrepresented that I had stated all of the above. I did not recall ever stating "No, it's still a fine maxim & a good guide to avoiding hypocrisy." and indeed I didn't.
    Bolding is mine...

Indeed you did. here
    Post #191 Thread: Trump pulls out of Paris

I had posted which thread it originally came from and gave some context. It showed that you were actively engaged in the Trump posts with some vigor.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-07-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Nah, because committee plans the study that studies the plan of the plan with the requisite study of the initial planning session that planned the secondary plan. Then they status the planned planning plan with a plan to status the study of the plan's status.
    You should have been a writer for Yes, Minister.

But if they didn't study? Think of the children.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

What's scary is I said something similar at a council meeting, and ended it with the statement, "...and the telling thing here is that you all completely understood that process...and find it normal!".

....oh, and just so you know, as of 05:27hrs, the vast majority of the What's New section was on Edmonton topics. Only 6 posts were either US dumpster fire related, or this thread. Juxtaposition noted...

3/21,000 = 0.014%!!!

WOW!

Just WOW!

(Sarcasm)

Bolding is mine...

Indeed you did. here

I had posted which thread it originally came from and gave some context. It showed that you were actively engaged in the Trump posts with some vigor.
    At least some of the post, if you read the actual exchange, and not just the post in isolation, was me paraphrasing part of what Noodle said back to him. I can't take credit for the phrasing of others and won't. But more to the point an example of where quoting people out of context can be misleading, inaccurate, and obviously related to different topics and contexts.

As per me participating in Trump posts note that I have not once INITIATED discussion in those threads, I have not once STARTED discussion in one of those threads and and that all I have done is provide rebuttal and assistance in rebuking the ill informed comments of select others. So that my participation in those threads, regardless of number is passive, rather than active in nature.

Consider the following example. A messageboard can be considered like a vending machine. If you want discussion you have the option of opting for one of the threads that is currently being discussed and that people are viewing. You will get discussion and rebuttal in threads that are active and viewed. You will get far less in threads that are inactive. So that if I walk up to a vending machine that only has junk food snacks on certain days this does not mean I have a predilection for junk food. It might mean it was the only snacks available that day and I was hungry. Choice always being relative to what is available.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 11:29 AM.

There is no reason to place any restrictions on the topics C2E members choose to post about.

I've been following US politics more closely because of the truly unprecedented nature of Trump's presidency. None of us were around during Andrew Jackson's presidency. Dumpster fire is a good way of putting it. Combined with strong held opinions on both sides of the Trump divide, this is a recipe for lots of thread activity.

The level of thread activity will diminish should Trump become a more conventional president (no sign of that so far) or if one side of the Trump divide tires of posting. Nothing kills a thread more quickly than if everyone is on the same side of an issue.

The presidency is in now way unprecedented. Look at the amount of absolute bozo's the US has elected since Kennedy in what has long been thought of as a fly over nation composed of large swaths of largely ***** electorate.

The US as a nation has been on a post peak slide for easily the last 50yrs. The Cold War, the Space Race were really the last instances of a country united. Several other issues in the US have hilited that it is far from a model for other nations. That it is not liberty, its money, that it is not equal, its money, class, race, that its not free, same as before, and so on.

The US has become like Walmart and Target. Economically successful, yes, but ugly and operating on a race to the bottom mission.

The US could elect Bozo the clown or Donald Duck president. Why would anybody be surprised anymore? Trump is merely a signpost of American Decline. Of where America is in the world.

In anycase I don't see it as "Restriction" I see it as mitigation. As in could we please have a little less discussion of Mr. Carpet Burn.

All things are choice. We have the choice here to discuss Edmonton, or to discuss things that are entirely unrelated to Edmonton. Nobody is going to yank (excuse pun) that choice away, this much is clear.

Finally, its interesting on messageboards that people really police whether content is OT or not, as expressed in all of those threads, and yet there seems little conception or thought about what might be pretty much OT here.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 11:44 AM.

3/21,000 = 0.014%!!!

WOW!

Just WOW!

(Sarcasm)

Bolding is mine...

Indeed you did. here

At least some of the post, if you read the actual exchange, and not just the post in isolation, was me paraphrasing part of what Noodle said back to him. I can't take credit for the phrasing of others and won't. But more to the point an example of where quoting people out of context can be misleading, inaccurate, and obviously related to different topics and contexts.

As per me participating in Trump posts note that I have not once INITIATED discussion in those threads, I have not once STARTED discussion in one of those threads and and that all I have done is provide rebuttal and assistance in rebuking the ill informed comments of select others. So that my participation in those threads, regardless of number is passive, rather than active in nature.

Consider the following example. A messageboard can be considered like a vending machine. If you want discussion you have the option of opting for one of the threads that is currently being discussed and that people are viewing. You will get discussion and rebuttal in threads that are active and viewed. You will get far less in threads that are inactive. So that if I walk up to a vending machine that only has junk food snacks on certain days this does not mean I have a predilection for junk food. It might mean it was the only snacks available that day and I was hungry. Choice always being relative to what is available.
    Hmm. I'd say it's more like those little candy and trinket machines and the Starbucks, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, etc. at the entrance to grocery and department stores. (e.g. McDonalds on the way into Walmart stores)

You can stop at the first thing you see and react to it or you can ignore it and continue in to the main store and search out your healthy and useful items plus a whole heck of a lot of other junk.

Then there is always the Skyscraper Forum...

3/21,000 = 0.014%!!!

WOW!

Just WOW!

(Sarcasm)

Bolding is mine...

Indeed you did. here

Hmm. I'd say it's more like those little candy and trinket machines and the Starbucks, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, etc. at the entrance to grocery and department stores. (e.g. McDonalds on the way into Walmart stores)

You can stop at the first thing you see and react to it or you can ignore it and continue in to the main store and search out your healthy and useful items plus a whole heck of a lot of other junk.

Ignoring political discussion here is akin to ceasing posting on the board for a poster, me, that doesn't dive into the development threads here which at least are on topic, but which I have no information in which to post. I find those threads more like Skyscraper threads. Mostly people that have some inside info, or are architects, drafters, designers, developers, or bureucrats or familiar with such that post more in such threads.

My hot button tends to be local social issues. I have stuff to contribute in those threads.

In your analogy consider a store like Target, that in Edmonton had 80% of only the trinkets due to supply management issues and lacked most of what a Department store had. In that case Canadian Target stores died because choice was not available.

KC is the only poster here that consistently provides alternate thread content, but then a lot of those are not Edmonton related either. heh

Anyway I'm not expressing this as a "if this board doesn't change I'm taking my ball and leaving" I'll post anyway, I'll post in Abhorrent trump threads anyway, but I'll post more when threads interest me and related to if they even involve Edmonton content.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 12:13 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I have a small favour to ask...

Can we not quote an entire text wall? Just pick out the pint, and respond to that. Please? Pretty please?

Ditto

Thanks RichardS

Ditto

Thanks RichardS
    Practice what you preach.

I had simply replied to the text wall ensuing that you were also putting up...heh

Plus you invoked double text wall by replying to my same one post twice, so double heh heh

Which is curious that you are doing this as well as you just complained about the same, of others quoting text wall, just one week ago, harrumph.

jk aside I'll try to remember better. But then I'll have to remember to remember.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Would you like some wine with that whine?

Would you like some wine with that whine?
    I would say a dry dry red wine but that might get confused with where I am on the political spectrum or my penchant for sarcasm, and, well, whining and dining.

Beers and cheers! It's FRIDAY!

Can we not quote an entire text wall? Just pick out the pint, and respond to that. Please? Pretty please?
    Quote Originally Posted by you
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherjerk
    I've seen some vb forums that have found a way to elininate the multi-quote wall of text. SSP does I believe. If you ever have the time and want to see if that could be done here, would be great.

C2E SME

I would imagine there is a setting somewhere that you would need to change that would change the default quoting to the most recent post only, instead of everything. Most other boards I've seen function that way.

I would imagine there is a setting somewhere that you would need to change that would change the default quoting to the most recent post only, instead of everything. Most other boards I've seen function that way.
    Yep, that as a default would be far preferable. People know the discussion going on without seeing it summarized in every reply by default.

New forum rule 26.4.1.00

Anyone suggesting changes to this forum are free to do so for a nominal charge of $200.00 paid in small bills, to the Admin, to be considered. The nominal fee is nonrefundable and will not guarantee your ideas will be accepted but beer will be purchased. If you idea to change this forum is accepted, you will be charged a monthly idea maintenence fee of $75 plus GST for life. The C2E forum administration will be the sole beneficiaries of the fees and can purchase as much booze as they can drink and pizzas they can eat.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherjerk
    I've seen some vb forums that have found a way to elininate the multi-quote wall of text. SSP does I believe. If you ever have the time and want to see if that could be done here, would be great.
    but I see order appearing out of chaos.
    Last edited by KC; 29-07-2017 at 09:16 AM.

"People know the discussion..."

No they don't. Diversion regularly occurs and tempers flare and all the usual boring indignant phrases get tossed out as people claim they were misquoted or their position was taken out of context.

And what does all this have to do with renaming the forum due to US political discussions?

connect2trump.com
    Last edited by KC; 29-07-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Because the issue was totally blown out of proportion to minor effect that the US forum has had to the C2E forum, less than 0.014% of the threads. There is also a wealth of hypocrisy since many of the posters including the OP & yourself have been actively engaged in the US political discussions.

If you don't like the subject, walk away and let it die. If you are interested in it, 'Go ahead, share your passion'.

To each their own...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 29-07-2017 at 09:44 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

This morning...

only 4 non Edmonton threads on the What's New at 09:40hrs.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Yep, that as a default would be far preferable. People know the discussion going on without seeing it summarized in every reply by default.
    There is a setting on multi-quote, but that is for the number of posts you can quote by selecting the "multi-quote this message" icon. It does not prevent what was happening here, which is the ability to hit "reply with quote", and then take in all the quoted text from the above the thread. Once the quotes are in text format, they are just that...text.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I changed the settings to have the main forum page as the default index page vs the What's New page. For those that are OK with the What's New as delivered, click on that to see it again. For those that want to know what threads are posted in since your last visit, use the New Posts link. Also, you can subscribe and unsubscribe to each thread or forum.

For those lamenting the loss of the old homepage's What's New list, that was a reprint of the New Posts link in this new version.
    Ow

Because the issue was totally blown out of proportion to minor effect that the US forum has had to the C2E forum, less than 0.014% of the threads. There is also a wealth of hypocrisy since many of the posters including the OP & yourself have been actively engaged in the US political discussions.

If you don't like the subject, walk away and let it die. If you are interested in it, 'Go ahead, share your passion'.

To each their own...
    Still not hypocrisy just because you say it is is.

As I essentially said; I post to the political threads, but if c2e's powers that be feel the site is better off without them then I'm fine with closing down such threads. It's not a moral or hugely vested interest of mine despite my posting to it.

From Google:

"Hypocrisy | Definition of Hypocrisy by Merriam-Webster
    https://www.merriam-webster.com › hyp...
    1 : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not : behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel His hypocrisy was finally revealed with the publication of his private letters.; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion our conventional morality often ..."
    Last edited by KC; 30-07-2017 at 03:48 PM.

I know hypocrisy when I see it.

I know hypocrisy when I see it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but could you be confusing it with any of: enjoyment, indifference, opportunism, etc and/or seemingly thinking that a few can harmlessly engage in an activity without understanding that there may be negative consequences to the whole. A form of hasty generalization or the old fallacy of composition?

You stand corrected. You are wrong...

You stand corrected. You are wrong...
    Ok if you're correct, then I'm a hypocrite. . Under these circumstances I'm fine with that label. Being anonymous, I'm pretty much fine with any label for that matter.

So, should c2e close the political discussion threads in pursuit of benefits to the other users, the site's "brand" image, utility to visitors, ease of administration (a benefit that probably can't be understated) and/or other benefits?
    Last edited by KC; 30-07-2017 at 07:46 PM.

You're both out to lunch, without a hunch, there, I said it..

I am not out to lunch. Just finished the BBQ chicken, sweet potatoes, fresh corn and the sangria is flowing. Good times...

You're both out to lunch, without a hunch, there, I said it..
    Hey, while out to lunch I enjoyed KFC corn fritters, and Mcdonald's pizza's, but I too could have argued the brand (and maybe societal) benefits of getting rid of them. I'd guess that blissful hypocrisy is having your hunch and your lunch too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast