Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When you gotta go, but there’s no public toilet in sight

C2E Long Term Contributor

While not all users are with the right intent, the ones on Whyte are well kept, functional, safe and effective.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Well, there's a better than average temporary in the Michael Phair pocket park - back by the alley. Not sure the placement is the safest, but time will tell.

As for ADP, I look out on it and can say, most arena events the foot traffic is up and down 104 Street, leaving the design argument aside, not sure a biffy there would be well used by concert or hockey game fans.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Well, there's a better than average temporary in the Michael Phair pocket park - back by the alley. Not sure the placement is the safest, but time will tell.

As for ADP, I look out on it and can say, most arena events the foot traffic is up and down 104 Street, leaving the design argument aside, not sure a biffy there would be well used by concert or hockey game fans.
    I would not use it there ever. Just saying. There has to be a better way - maybe build into the LRT platforms on 102nd?? and other stations? That way people are around meaning built in security.

These are everywhere in Amsterdam, like pretty much every corner along the waters, and other countries in Europe

They're great because they're private from mid-chest down but you can see through the bars at the top. So you can see if someone's using it, and if you're inside, you can see if someone's coming near it.

These next ones are strange

Some places have them permanently setup with tarp fence boxed around them for semi privacy like in the picture. They're usually setup in clumps all over a large area when there's an event going on. I was at Karnival in Dusseldorf and they were just dropped everywhere, out in the open. It was super weird taking a leak and just looking around at the crowd surrounding you while you pee. But in that little nook, nobody can see anything. I thought it was fantastic. Both of these have hand sanitizer pumps nearby for when you're done. Some of the grey standalone ones had the pumps mounted to the sides of them. Not sure if you can tell by the picture, but each one of these has 4 urinals. So very tall guys can have a chat while taking a leak lol

This is of course a pro for men only, and women have porta-potties to use which according to my wife were very clean. Probably because no men were tinkling on the seats.

Yes it's strange to use these when everyone is around and can see you, but nobody cared. It was normal.

Other public washrooms I encountered were permanent installations. I saw most of these in Paris. A small box with a door that had a toilet and sink inside. The older ones were sketchy, dirty, and sometimes you opened the door to a homeless man sleeping inside, or it was locked for a long time for the same reason.

The newer high-tech ones were ok. You press a button, the door opens, then you press a button to close and lock it behind you. You then have 15 minutes to do your business or the door will automatically open. You can override it ONCE to get an extra 5 minutes then it opens no matter what. Once you leave, the door closes and the bathroom cleans itself which takes about 2 minutes. The toilet and sink retract into the walls and get sprayed with soap, rinsed and dried. Meanwhile, the walls and floor also get a spray wash. The water drains into the floor drains, the toilet and sink come back out, and then the button outside turns green showing that the next person can use it now. I can only imagine how expensive they are to build and maintain. And yes they're heated when it's cold out. Another issue with these is that they malfunction, and sometimes there's an "out of order" light outside and the door won't open. I saw this many times before I actually got to use a working one.
    Last edited by alkeli; 24-08-2018 at 10:27 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

"Yes it's strange to use these when everyone is around and can see you, but nobody cared. It was normal."

Of course it is. When did people develop such phobias about need for privacy in relieving themselves?

I can't quite figure it but the younger generation seems to be more averse. more and more I see youth that refuse to even use a urinal. They have to go into a private stall, to take a P.

The former Edmonton Gardens had interesting urinals. There wasn't any. There were Cinder block painted walls (often repainted) that you just ****** on and with a floor impression trough and drain below. It was simply one continuous wall of the washroom, just **** on the wall. I kind of felt like I needed permission the first time (I was a kid) but that's what it was.

People seem to need so much edifice now. Scented splendor, towelletes, no touch controls, and privacy walls.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Many pubs in UK are just that - a porcelain wall with a trough at the bottom. Whizz away, lads.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12