Thread: Edmonton Comic Expo 2017

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Comic Expo 2017

It was announced today that William Shatner is coming to the Expo next month! Other media guests include Gene Simmons (KISS), John Rhys-Davies (Indiana Jones, LOTR), Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters) plus actors from various TV shows (Riverdale, Stranger Things, Supernatural, Buffy)
    https://edmontonexpo.com/guests/media-guests/

The biggest comics writer/artist guest is Jim Steranko
    https://edmontonexpo.com/guests/artists-and-creators/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Also heard on FB that Charlie Cox (Daredevil TV show - Netflix) will be coming too. Although it's FB so I'm not too sure if it's true yet.

^ click on the first link I posted, he is listed
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 02-08-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Alex Kingston from Dr Who was announced this morning. Hopefully she has her visa issues sorted out this time.
    Also announced Anthony Mackie who plays Falcon in the Marvel films.

Announced today:
    Eugene Brave Rock (Chief Napi in Wonder Woman)
    Melanie Scrofano (Wynonna Earp)

Cancelled:
    Camila Mendes (Riverdale)
    Madelaine Petsch (Riverdale)

Added:
    Rose McIver (iZombie)
    Jason Lewis (Midnight, Texas)
    Garrett Wang (he comes every year without fail, why bother announcing)

Got my tickets two days ago. Will be the first time going and bringing the spouse as well

My daughter will be disappointed these two arent' coming: Camila Mendes (Riverdale)
    Madelaine Petsch (Riverdale)
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

That's one major downside with having the Expo during tv shooting season.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Announced today:
    Melanie Scrofano (Wynonna Earp)
    Wynonna Earp is corny but very fun fantasy/horror/modern western series shot in Didsbury and Calgary. The actress is a great deadpan snarker, and she gets extra credit for kicking arse while shooting the second season through the last three months of her pregnancy. The producers get credit for integrating her pregnancy into the storyline, having the character kick arse while very pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Variety.com

^She was also on the short lived Pure Pwnage tv show that aired on Showcase.

Just reviewing the programming schedule for next weekend so I can make my own plans around it. Noticed that Shatner's panel is on early Friday night; a big change because usually the biggest names have their panels on Saturdays. Not sure if this is to boost Friday attendance (which is usually smaller than Sat and Sun) or if its because of the Gene Simmons gig in Hall D that night bumping the cosplay contest to an earlier time, or both.

So, in order to see the panels what are the lineups like? I didn't get one of those "early entry" passes.

^ There will be lineups to get into some panels, but I don't recall any of them having to turn away people as far as I know. The big name celebrity panels are in Hall D so there's usually plenty of seating, you'll only have to lineup if you're brave enough to go up and ask a question!

Just secured my weekend pass. Not sure if I'll make it tomorrow but will definitely go this weekend.

Snapped a couple of cosplay pics while at the Edmonton Expo today.

Yes that's indeed a Green Lantern Spider-Man and a Batwoman with fangs!

I have no clue what they are but very impressive and disturbing, especially the girl on the far left with the giant blade.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Looks like a typical Saturday night at Mercer Tavern .lol!

^^ The ghoulish characters in the 2nd pic are from the Silent Hill video game series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Snapped a couple of cosplay pics while at the Edmonton Expo today.

Yes that's indeed a Green Lantern Spider-Man...
    But.... that's.... crossing universes...
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Is this the thing that used to be done at Grant MacEwan? I liked seeing the various beasties and critters and characters wandering around that area. Too bad it can't be downtown.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

No, that's the Anime expo, and I believe it's still held at MacEwan. I *think* the first year of Edmonton Expo was held at the Shaw, then moved to the Northlands spot for the second year on.

Edmonton Expo has been held at Northlands since the beginning AFAIK. Of course I'd much prefer if it was held downtown but there's really no downtown conference facilities big enough for it, and at 144000 sq ft the Shaw Conference Centre is way too small (that's why I've wanted SCC to double in size across Grierson Hill Road to LMP but that's in another thread). Expo Centre is over 400,000 sq ft and most of it used by the comic expo except for Halls A and B. BTW the aforementioned Animethon has outgrown MacEwan and is moving to SCC next year.

Yup, SDM is right, it's always been at Northlands.

^I'm excited to here how many attendees we got this year. It was over 40,000 last year.

It didn't seem as busy as prior years. Plus we would have heard attendance numbers by now but haven't heard a peep as of yet, so that's a tad worrying.

This little guy was in the spirit this year:

taken from this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshopba...erine_cosplay/

https://www.facebook.com/notes/edmon...7948457632176/

Big news super fans!
    The nerd power of the Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo just grew. We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve joined forces with Fan Expo to make the Canadian fan experience better than ever before. If you’re not familiar with Fan Expo, they present some of the largest pop culture events in North America, including Fan Expo Canada in Toronto (Canada’s largest event, September), Fan Expo Vancouver (November), MegaCon (Orlando, May), and Fan Expo Dallas (April), among others. Teaming up with this family of shows means bigger and better opportunities for our guests, exhibitors, and attendees.

What does this mean for you?
    The same epic fan experience - now with more power!
    Two heads are better than one. The same people who created and developed your Alberta Expos (Calgary Expo in April, and Edmonton Expo in September) will continue to produce the events you know and love, now with the energy and support of national super-team who share our dedication to creativity, value, and community. We’re all fans just like you, and we’re pumped to work together to make our collective nerd dreams come true, and of course, we’ll be still called the Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo.
    A few of the perks you should expect:
    - Improved media and creators guest lists
    - Increased interest from global brands and partners
    - Access to an expanded network of events across North America
    We’re still working out lots of the details, and we’ll be planning to have ticketing information available no later than December!

That's excellent. Should be able to snag some higher profile talent that way.