Thread: Nicest roads to take to Drumheller?

Default Nicest roads to take to Drumheller?

I'll be heading out on a trip to Drumheller towing my travel trailer and I'm just wondering if anyone's been out there, and what the highway conditions are like. We've got some pretty rough secondary highways and I'd like to avoid those if at all possible and find some nicer smoother highways to take. I'm also going to avoid taking highway 2 south because the limit is 110km/h, and my trailer tires are rated for 100. Plus, it's 8ft wide and 11ft tall, like pulling a sail lol

Any advice or recommendations? And anyone been out there lately and know of any long construction stretches to avoid as well?
    TIA!

C2E Long Term Contributor

If you want to avoid the QE2:
    Take Hwy 14 SE out of Edmonton
    Turn south on Hwy 21
    Turn east on Hwy 12 to Stettler
    Turn south on Hwy 56 to Drumheller

Is it nice? Hard to say. I think all routes from Edmonton to Drumheller will look more or less the same, so that's a wash.

This map shows a slightly different route, with the EB turn on Hwy 53 at Bashaw

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 02-08-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thanks, yes that's the route google maps gave me as well. I'm hoping someone chimes in on the conditions of these roads. 28 north towards Redwater is really bad with all the construction, and north of RW there are some really bad spots as well that I now know of and avoid. My trailer's over 5000lbs, and I'm pulling with an F-150 so no issues usually, but I still like to avoid the rough patches if I can.

I haven't done the run this year, but I took SDMs posted route (not the map version) last summer in my car that loathes rough roads & had zero problems.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I think the only nicer way is to go on some of the roads west of Edmonton which are quite pretty (but a much longer trip). Otherwise, the QEII isn't that much worse than on the small roads to the east, and is a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Otherwise, the QEII isn't that much worse than on the small roads to the east, and is a lot faster.
    Nope. Camrose/Stettler is faster.

Source: Experience, backed up by SDMs picture above & a 10 second Google Maps search to confirm it.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Cool, I'll stick to that route unless I hear anything bad from someone that's been out that way recently. Thanks guys!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Check http://511.alberta.ca/ before going to get construction / road updates.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Turn south on Hwy 21

Is it nice? Hard to say. I think all routes from Edmonton to Drumheller will look more or less the same, so that's a wash.

Just to chime in here the route through Donalda is much nicer as this takes you threw the northern segment of the Badlands. Donalda is a nice town, Stettler is, Big Knife provincial park is also a nice park and place to camp if people want to stop a night enroute. I've been on 56 all the way from Camrose to Stettler and its fine road, just that all the way from Edmonton region on its going to be 2 lane road with precious few passing lanes in there. Also a few idiots that pass dangerously in that whole region. But the road was fine. For sure its a more enjoyable ride than the Deplorable Highway 2. I wouldn't take the route anytime at rush hour though.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Turn south on Hwy 21

Just to chime in here the route through Donalda is much nicer as this takes you threw the northern segment of the Badlands. Donalda is a nice town, Stettler is, Big Knife provincial park is also a nice park and place to camp if people want to stop a night enroute. I've been on 56 all the way from Camrose to Stettler and its fine road, just that all the way from Edmonton region on its going to be 2 lane road with precious few passing lanes in there. Also a few idiots that pass dangerously in that whole region. But the road was fine. For sure its a more enjoyable ride than the Deplorable Highway 2. I wouldn't take the route anytime at rush hour though.
    This. And make sure you search out what I mean by "Take the train ride in Stettler".
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

I know a couple who lived in Drumheller for 10 years.

To paraphrase, take the First Road.

As in, 'take the first road out of there, and don't look back'
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

They must of had a crappy car.

Alkeli, I took the route SDM posted on Sunday and there were no issues at all. Btw, if you want to visit the Tyrell museum, try to go after 5. It's open until 9pm, and the place is almost completely empty after 5:30 or so.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Turn south on Hwy 21

Thanks, but we'd be turning south before Donalda. Don't plan on visiting things along the way, just want to get there. We'll be spending 4 days there and exploring, cycling etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Alkeli, I took the route SDM posted on Sunday and there were no issues at all. Btw, if you want to visit the Tyrell museum, try to go after 5. It's open until 9pm, and the place is almost completely empty after 5:30 or so.
    Great news, thanks for the info and tips!

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Turn south on Hwy 21

Thanks, but we'd be turning south before Donalda. Don't plan on visiting things along the way, just want to get there. We'll be spending 4 days there and exploring, cycling etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Great news, thanks for the info and tips!
    If you're camping in the badlands then watch out for Rattlers.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

So the drive was pretty good on the map route posted above by Sonic Death Monkey. There were a few rough spots, mainly train tracks and bridges. But for the most part it was good, and I'd recommend it for anyone heading out that way and pulling a heavy camper. Only downsides were driving right through Camrose and Stettler.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

56 to drumheller is just fine, drove it last summer and is quite pretty south of stettler. on the way back I like to take 838 west from the tyrell (north dinosaur trail) to the ferry crossing across the red deer river, then north on 837 to highway 27 west, then north again on 836 till you get to 583 west. that takes you to three hills. all great scenery. From three hills you can take 21 north or a short jog south to 582 west to didsbury.

A trip to Drumheller isn't complete without a stop at Horseshoe Canyon IMHO, so I usually take the highway 2, 42, 21, 9 route. 838 to the ferry is nice for the way back (and avoids backtracking through town from the museum). Just make sure it is actually running if you are like me and prefer to go to Drumheller on the first reasonably warm weekend in spring rather than mid-summer when it gets way too hot.