For Heritage Day I took the family to see the RCMP Musical Ride. They put on a great show. The weather was terrible for the introductions (all the spectators' umbrellas made it difficult to see everything), but thankfully cleared up nicely for the performance, which was great. There were a few food trucks there, and everybody seemed to be enjoying the spectacle. We all enjoyed it more than we thought we would. I don't know when they'll tour through Edmonton again, but I recommend it for anybody.

RCMP Musical Ride trots into Edmonton area raising funds for kids with cancer
August 7, 2017 2:00 pm
The RCMP Musical Ride kicked off the western leg of its Canada 150 tour near Edmonton on Sunday, delighting fans young and old.

Thirty-six RCMP officers and their horses started the six-week tour at Amberlea Meadows, an equestrian centre in Leduc County. The two-day stop, which continues Monday, is raising funds for Alberta’s Kids With Cancer Society.

Const. Aaron Harder is in his second year with the Musical Ride. After a year of training in Ottawa, he’s been riding his horse, 11-year old Darby, since January.

“I always wanted to be an officer and to be a part of the Musical Ride,” said Harder, who spent eight years as a constable with the Manitoba RCMP before moving to Ottawa.

“My favourite parts are going into the community, helping the community and showing the history of the RCMP,” Harder said.

Of the 36 riders on tour, 32 will perform with their horses — bred and trained specifically for the Musical Ride — in each show, dazzling audiences with intricate figures and drills set to music.

http://edmontonjournal.com/storyline...ds-with-cancer