Thread: Cariwest 2017

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Cariwest 2017

Did anyone make it to the Cariwest parade and festival this weekend? I didn't even bother because IMO the parades from the past couple of years have really regressed (fewer floats, fewer costumed dancers, lack of energy, frustrating delays by EPS, more Calgarians than Edmontonians). I've been reviewing pics and vids of the parade on social media, and the fact that people only seemed to focus on just 2 or 3 costumed groups this year was quite telling. A pity because this used to be one of the pinnacles of Edmonton summer.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sure wouldn't say it was one of the pinnacles. In reality its probably not in the top dozen festivals this city does. As well as it comes in the smack of a lot of other events going on its easy to forget about as well. That said the energy seems to be petering out of this festival which is odd as we have more people from the Caribbean living here but less enthusiasm about it.

it doesn't help that its probably the most poorly run festival on a consistent basis. Always not on time, schedules out the window, they don't finish or start a parade on time and seems like every year its the same disorganization. Didn't bother with it either.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

If you don't think it is good then make it good. Not getting involved is not a solution.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

I'm not Caribbean and would have next to zero investment in this.

just rebutting the OP saying that it used to be one of the pinnacles of the Edmonton summer. Its barely a footnote here.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

We used to go, but the floats were late starting, and they got to be fewer and fewer, so we no longer go.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

just rebutting the OP saying that it used to be one of the pinnacles of the Edmonton summer. Its barely a footnote here.
    The thousands and thousands of people on Jasper might disagree, let alone the weekend festival in Churchill.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Most of the Cariwest parade is now on YouTube.

Based on this, I'd say this year's parade was better than last year but still far short of what it used to be. But on the other hand I heard the Churchill Square festivities was quite good, I usually have no complaints about that. I hear they had a rum garden instead of a beer garden this time!

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

The thousands and thousands of people on Jasper might disagree, let alone the weekend festival in Churchill.
    Thousands and thousands, lol. The numbers are always trumped for this kind of DT event. Been there in the past and theres often as many performers as viewers. Been to this festival before some of you were born. Its something to do. Its sure not a pinnacle.

Pinnacle maybe not, but Jasper was quite full with people along the route and Churchill was busy most of the weekend. There were certainly thousands along the parade route though.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton