Thread: And the 800m Navy maintenance contract goes to ... Thales

Default And the 800m Navy maintenance contract goes to ... Thales

Of Edmonton LRT fame (in fairness, a different division):

The federal government has awarded an $800-million contract to perform future maintenance and repair work on the Royal Canadian Navy's new vessels to the Canadian subsidiary of a French multinational corporation.

The contract deals with the new Arctic and offshore patrol ships and joint support ships, which haven't yet been built, and initially covers eight years but can be extended up to 35 years for a total of $5.2 billion, plus taxes.

The contract is going to a joint venture between Thales Canada Inc. and Thales Australia Ltd. Thales is a French company with corporate headquarters in Paris.

Jim Carr, the acting federal procurement minister, made the announcement Thursday morning in Dartmouth, N.S.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ance-1.4250961

Can we built a ship to maintain first?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Looks like the government is soliciting bids for an off the shelf design rather than having one custom designed in Canada. Of course the devil is in the details, the key being how much Canadian content there will be in the new ships in terms of systems and parts. Subsystems such as sensor suites and control systems will have to be integrated into the customization of these ships which means that they will not be completely off the shelf.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I honestly don't care if a single man-hour of Canadian parts or labour goes into our ships. I want them to procure the best product at the best price from a reliable source.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yep, safe to say they won't be tapping up the Royal Navy about any slightly used models.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra