Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Secret downtown beach can be a game-changer for Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Yet it also says: "Three other beaches — at Laurier Park, Capilano Park and the Fort Edmonton footbridge — all earned green ratings for water quality this week."

Isn't that interesting. Same river, same city, 3 green and just 1 red. Sounds like a problem with a solution.
    Weird too because Cloverdale is located between Laurier Park and Capilano Park.

Maybe the water quality test was done right after 3 dogs and a drunk peed in the river.
    In a CBC article, there was speculation that it was because of Mill Creek's discharge "hugging" that bank of the river and not mixing with the rest of the river flow quickly enough. Apparently Mill Creek remains pretty filthy.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Yet it also says: "Three other beaches — at Laurier Park, Capilano Park and the Fort Edmonton footbridge — all earned green ratings for water quality this week."

Isn't that interesting. Same river, same city, 3 green and just 1 red. Sounds like a problem with a solution.
    Weird too because Cloverdale is located between Laurier Park and Capilano Park.

Maybe the water quality test was done right after 3 dogs and a drunk peed in the river.
    In a CBC article, there was speculation that it was because of Mill Creek's discharge "hugging" that bank of the river and not mixing with the rest of the river flow quickly enough. Apparently Mill Creek remains pretty filthy.
    It's the collector for all the stormwater coming out of the Argyll industrial park I believe. There is a lot going on with Mill Creek that I don't think can be undone. It would be really interesting to see what really can end up in the creek with a large down pour.

My thanks to the Ryan Jespersen Show and 630 CHED for hosting the first ever Endless Summer Beach Party at Accidental Beach yesterday. Northern Chicken was nice enough to provide chicken, while CHED provided water and watermelon. I got there late, plus the hazy, slightly cooler weather meant there wasn't as many there as I heard yesterday, but there was still a good turnout. It's really cool to see a mile-long beach in the heart of Edmonton. The beach itself projects out far enough from shore that south shade from the trees wasn't an issue, even in fall time. I expect the beach to have sun until the late afternoon, early evening, even now. Its right by a bend in the river, which I think mitigates some of the river flow, and as long as know one goes to far out, they should be ok. Exercise common sense and personal responsibility, please I waded into the water, and it wasn't too cold at all, was pretty clear near shore. Don't trick the water, and you'll be fine I definitley vote to keep it if at all possible. Get on the email/phone with your MP, as the river is a federal waterway, I know I will on Monday. Pictures are with my cell camera, hopefully someone with a good DSLR can get down there.

Default Accidental beach - Expensive public amenities disappoint. But natural wonders? They're magical

Cool:

I was thinking of writing a column on Edmonton’s new “Accidental Beach,” which formed spontaneously this summer as an unplanned effect of bridge construction on the North Saskatchewan, and wondering exactly how to explain it to a national audience. Eventually I figured it out. The whole thing is a fairy tale. A fairy tale… happened.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/colb...ales-turn-dark

There's bigger beaches in the SW with sand quality just as good or better than this beach. Also, cleaner water. This accidental beach has high levels of e-coli but at the other beach sites, the testing hasn't found the e-coli at all.

I took so photos from my iphone yesterday, I'll try to host them and post them later.

I think it's a convenience/novelty/ease of access thing. Whatever brings people to the river valley is fine by me.

Ok, maybe I'll keep my beaches a secret then. The popularity of the one near downtown is a negative thing for me, I would rather have it more to myself

there is so many gems and cool locations in the river valley and ravines that people just need to get down and explore and find on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Ok, maybe I'll keep my beaches a secret then. The popularity of the one near downtown is a negative thing for me, I would rather have it more to myself

there is so many gems and cool locations in the river valley and ravines that people just need to get down and explore and find on their own.
    I like having the option of a public/well-used beach. Lots of people down there on Sunday playing volleyball, tanning, canoeing, wading, walking dogs, etc. I saw no trash (which makes me question why there's a trash-mob being organized), and overall it was a friendly crowd. Also, the community banding together to do things like trash mobs, cutting steps into the steep bank are all positives.

C2E Long Term Contributor

If the Accidental Beach becomes permanent, it's still a great location where it is now for residents and tourists alike. Adjacent to the new pedestrian/bike crossing that will be included with the LRT bridge, close to the Muttart Conservatory which includes a parking lot and an upcoming new LRT station (new name will be Muttart/Gallagher/Cloverdale/Accidental Beach Station), across the river from Louise McKinney Park, just a short walk from downtown, SCC and the major hotels.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    There's bigger beaches in the SW with sand quality just as good or better than this beach. Also, cleaner water. This accidental beach has high levels of e-coli but at the other beach sites, the testing hasn't found the e-coli at all.

I took so photos from my iphone yesterday, I'll try to host them and post them later.
    Maybe all we've ever needed was a beach watch group to find and publicize the latest sandbar formations and add a lot more sets of steps down the banks.

Bringing forward an article link from the old build an artificial beach thread. It's worth reading in terms of development and spin offs like "beach clubs", etc) that their attraction had created.

It's not about being in the water, it's about being beside the water. Note in the article the comments about the business development success. It's a 'destination' for tens of thousands.

BBC News - The 'embarrassing' Italian holiday riviera

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19361279

"What is unique about this coast, stretching 68 miles from Ravenna down to the south of Rimini, is its enormous popularity - in spite of the unanimous agreement that the sea is, well, just not very nice."

"It is a turbid greenish-brown that makes you feel like you are swimming in a giant muddy puddle..."

"Most astonishing of all is that nobody cares. That is because bathing is not what coastal tourism here is about."...

"Incredible to think that not long ago this was mostly undeveloped, malaria-infested marshland."
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...e-River-Valley

Anyone here heard of cottontail corner near Devon??

So according to an EJ letter to the editor some dickhead brought 2 pitbulls, unleashed, onto the beach on the weekend. Probably the type of person telling everyone. "Oh but my dawgs are safe, pitbulls are the nicest breed, so misunderstood, so friendly, why are all these families with children leaving...?"

Pitbulls aside its basic dog etiquette to have your dogs leashed in public areas like this unless its denoted as a free range dog run area. How pleasant of the Pitbull owner to think it was.

Last thing anybody should want is a bunch of free range dogs shitting all over the area and jumping up and down on everybody and unfixed dogs trying to dry hump any driftwood in the area.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Some dog owners (not all) think that the entire river valley is an off leash park, and also think it's alright for their dogs to do whatever they please, chasing wildlife, rabbits, porcupines (that usually doesn't end well for the dog), birds, deer, beavers, etc, to harassing other park users. No, I get it your dog is friendly. I still don't want him jumping up on me. It's even worse near the areas that are designated off-leash. Yes, its an off-leash park. I get it, fido likes to run and play. No, it's not a exclusive use area for your dog to do as it pleases. You dog should be under control, and respond to recall. I'm as much entitled to use the area as you and your mutt are, and shouldn't feel threatened or chased after, or bitten (it's happened more often that you would probably believe, dogs do not like people on bikes). I've also seen many dog fights in the dog parks, where some of the meaner breeds are not controlled and fight with other dogs that are just trying to play. SOME dog owners are very horrible humans.
    Therefore, i'm not surprised at replacement's pst.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So according to an EJ letter to the editor some dickhead brought 2 pitbulls, unleashed, onto the beach on the weekend. Probably the type of person telling everyone. "Oh but my dawgs are safe, pitbulls are the nicest breed, so misunderstood, so friendly, why are all these families with children leaving...?"

Pitbulls aside its basic dog etiquette to have your dogs leashed in public areas like this unless its denoted as a free range dog run area. How pleasant of the Pitbull owner to think it was.

Last thing anybody should want is a bunch of free range dogs shitting all over the area and jumping up and down on everybody and unfixed dogs trying to dry hump any driftwood in the area.
    Let's just say the C of E decides to bite the bullet and allows Riviera North to flourish. What will happen after that will be a plethora of 'Not Allowed' signs.
    Starting with Dogs Not Allowed, followed by No Loud Music, No Dumping, No Dogs Dry Humping, No Smoking, No Nudity, Children must be supervised at all times etc. Sign Sign everywhere a sign blocking out the scenery breaking my mind.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Don't do that, dont do this, can't you read the signnnnnn

How many signs do you really need for the single over-arching bylaw?

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PDF/C2202.pdf
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Best Edmonton sign ever.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123