Results 1 to 52 of 52

Thread: Unknown - Jasper 114/115st| 48 & 37 storeys | Proposed

  1. #1
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,981

    Default Unknown - Jasper 114/115st| 48 & 37 storeys | Proposed

    Reference: Proposed Rezoning for lands located at 10107,10129, 10133, & 10137 – 115 Street and 11452 & 11460 – Jasper Avenue, Oliver Neighbourhood

    The purpose of this notification letter is to collect your feedback on a rezoning application as well as invite you to an upcoming community event to learn more about this project prior to submitting an application to the City.
    Please come to a community meeting or review the information below and provide your comments prior to September 16, 2017 to the address below or email – [email protected] .

    COMMUNITY MEETING

    Come learn more about this exciting new project – we will be on site to share information, answer your questions and gather your feedback about the project.
    Date: Saturday, August 26, 2017
    Time: Drop-in anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
    Location: Unit 104, 10107 – 115 Street

    *In a vacant commercial space fronting 115 Street, north of Jasper Avenue

    On behalf of our client, Greenlong Construction Inc., we will be submitting an application to rezone the above noted properties. The proposed changes would allow for the development of two high-rise residential buildings (up to 48 and 37 storeys) with opportunities for commercial uses on Jasper Avenue. Amenity space could include patios, roof top terraces and/or recreation room. Resident parking will be provided underground.
    The vision is to activate Jasper Avenue with a range of commercial uses, animate the lane with live/work opportunities or commercial uses and provide a range of unit sizes that will encourage and support a diverse community, including families.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  2. #2
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,981

    Default

    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  3. #3

    Default

    Time to sell my revenue property on 114 St it seems. Gonna be really hard to rent out a building that's sun-shadowed for a significant amount of time every day, year round. A pair of towers where Co Co Di is & the already approved Regency project will cast it in darkness.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Time to sell my revenue property on 114 St it seems. Gonna be really hard to rent out a building that's sun-shadowed for a significant amount of time every day, year round. A pair of towers where Co Co Di is & the already approved Regency project will cast it in darkness.
    Sell it and buy in the new and improved buildings next door.

  5. #5

    Default

    Given that my current property is revenue-positive to the tune of ~$500/month, I don't think the new buildings will be much of an "improvement", at least not from a revenue perspective. And that's after taking ~$100K in equity out of it in the 15 years since I bought it.

    I was planning on selling it (or one of my other properties) in the next few years anyways to free up some capital for another acquisition. Still not a slam dunk, but this is another push in that direction.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  6. #6

    Default

    Hard to say what the timelines for something like this would be. There's also a lot more competition for residential now (ONE Properties, Regency, Edger, Pangman) and I don't know this developers track record.
    www.decl.org

  7. #7
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Can't wait for Jasper Ave to be a real canyon

  8. #8

    Default

    Woo! It'll be great to see those two little dumpy buildings on Jasper replaced with something nice!

  9. #9
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,034

    Default

    The folks at Co Co Di must be getting really sick of being forcefully relocated.
    A pity this development doesn't include the vacated Shoppers at the corner of Jasper/114.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The folks at Co Co Di must be getting really sick of being forcefully relocated.
    A pity this development doesn't include the vacated Shoppers at the corner of Jasper/114.
    The signs on the old Shoppers say that it's been leased, so it shouldn't be vacant for long.

  11. #11
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,034

    Default

    There's a whole clusterfunk of signs on the Shoppers - "For Sale", "Sold", "For Lease", "Leased". Who's managing this?
    But I would rather see it dynamited and redeveloped.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  12. #12

    Default

    ^It has been purchased from what I've heard.
    www.decl.org

  13. #13
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Yet no news on the 116st empty lot...

  14. #14
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    Tell me again why we don't need LRT down west Jasper avenue.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  15. #15
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Tell me again why we don't need LRT down west Jasper avenue.
    Where would it lead to? Not being wise; honest question. Tunneling West as a part of the West Valley line project seems sensible.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

  16. #16
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,325

    Default

    See line 66. Given the progress it appears investors may have been secured ... overseas


    https://www.albertacanada.com/guangz...(English).xlsx

    http://www.datalog.co.uk/browse/deta...NSTRUCTION+INC.

  17. #17
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Tell me again why we don't need LRT down west Jasper avenue.
    Where would it lead to? Not being wise; honest question. Tunneling West as a part of the West Valley line project seems sensible.
    Westmount

  18. #18
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Tell me again why we don't need LRT down west Jasper avenue.
    Where would it lead to? Not being wise; honest question. Tunneling West as a part of the West Valley line project seems sensible.
    Westmount
    Seems sensible. TOD potential and could have worked it's way to St. Albert.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

  19. #19
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,981

    Default

    I am still holding out for a continued tunnel from 109st-124st.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  20. #20

    Default

    Given that it's supposed to take 5 years for them to just rebuild Jasper Ave at the surface, the last thing I want is the primary street for the densest residential neighbourhood in Edmonton & an important thoroughfare in & out of the core under construction for however long it takes them to put in a tunnelled line that's 800m away from another LRT line at the most.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  21. #21
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,543

    Default

    Not having LRT running through the middle of Edmonton's densest neighborhood is so incredibly shortsighted it boggles the mind.

  22. #22

    Default

    I'd say not having high quality transit service design for the use of residents of the densest community in Edmonton is what boggles the mind.

    You don't need LRT for those 2km trips into the core or to connect with other LRT, but your transit does need to be frequent and reliable, and it does need to have room and not just be passing through on the way in from less populated neighbourhoods.
    There can only be one.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Not having LRT running through the middle of Edmonton's densest neighborhood is so incredibly shortsighted it boggles the mind.
    I've warmed to 104 Ave being a better choice than Jasper Ave, given that it's already a heavy transportation corridor that's ripe for redevelopment along the way in Oliver & passes alongside other neighbourhoods that need effective transit as well. It's not as personally convenient as Jasper Ave would be, but it's better for the city from my perspective.

    What I really lament is the lack of a circulating trolley or streetcar servicing everything from the Quarters/East Jasper to Oliver at 124 St.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  24. #24
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,981

    Default

    ^bingo.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  25. #25
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jasper east
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Not having LRT running through the middle of Edmonton's densest neighborhood is so incredibly shortsighted it boggles the mind.
    I've warmed to 104 Ave being a better choice than Jasper Ave, given that it's already a heavy transportation corridor that's ripe for redevelopment along the way in Oliver & passes alongside other neighbourhoods that need effective transit as well. It's not as personally convenient as Jasper Ave would be, but it's better for the city from my perspective.

    What I really lament is the lack of a circulating trolley or streetcar servicing everything from the Quarters/East Jasper to Oliver at 124 St.
    same. 104 ave lrt serves more people in the 800m walkable radius than a station on jasper ave would. makes sense. also no crazy turning through 122nd or 123rd.

  26. #26

    Default

    ^Maybe, but in reality the person at 200m or less is much better served than the one at 800m, especially when you're looking at the short trip lengths that you're likely to get in oliver. From that perspective jasper ave would have been better. That it would be so much farther from MacEwan is a bigger downside.
    There can only be one.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^Maybe, but in reality the person at 200m or less is much better served than the one at 800m, especially when you're looking at the short trip lengths that you're likely to get in oliver. From that perspective jasper ave would have been better. That it would be so much farther from MacEwan is a bigger downside.
    Run clockwise & counterclockwise (maybe opposing figure 8s) community shuttles that loop Jasper & 107 once the west leg of Valley is built out through Oliver. These can be used to help the Jasper Ave & southward folks connect with the train & help with in-neighbourhood errands/trips.

    A train down Jasper Ave wouldn't help me get groceries, I'd end up almost walking as far from wherever it dropped me off on its way north or westward back along 104 to get to the stores as I would walking straight north from home.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  28. #28
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,425

    Default

    I wonder what happened to the condo project on the corner of Jasper and 116 st?
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  29. #29
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,034

    Default

    If I can interrupt this LRT discussion derail for a moment...

    Towers proposed for 115 Street and Jasper Avenue to take advantage of laneway
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3694170/to...ge-of-laneway/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  30. #30

    Default

    "up to" 48 and 37 storeys....which really means 25 and 22.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Tell me again why we don't need LRT down west Jasper avenue.
    Where would it lead to? Not being wise; honest question. Tunneling West as a part of the West Valley line project seems sensible.
    Westmount
    If I were running the transit planning we would have extended the high floor line from the University to the west end via 87th ave as originally planned. The low floor line would then turn north on 124 st to 111 ave and then west to Westmount. It could later be extended to Jasper Place or even Meadowlark.

  32. #32
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    "up to" 48 and 37 storeys....which really means 25 and 22.
    It's a Vancouver developer, not an Edmontonian developer!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  33. #33
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    Emerald CD-2 zoning allows 160 meters why not this one?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  34. #34
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    I wonder what happened to the condo project on the corner of Jasper and 116 st?
    Nada as they wanted to sell the land at a price a wee bit too high and by wee, considerable.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Emerald CD-2 zoning allows 160 meters why not this one?
    160 meters would be spectacular for a condo ! the views....

  36. #36
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Given that my current property is revenue-positive to the tune of ~$500/month, I don't think the new buildings will be much of an "improvement", at least not from a revenue perspective. And that's after taking ~$100K in equity out of it in the 15 years since I bought it.

    I was planning on selling it (or one of my other properties) in the next few years anyways to free up some capital for another acquisition. Still not a slam dunk, but this is another push in that direction.
    Sunlight is low on the priority list of many renters - it usually comes down to price, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, parking and in-suite amenities. So if you don't need to sell just let it ride.
    Last edited by ChrisD; 28-08-2017 at 07:44 AM.

  37. #37
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Yet no news on the 116st empty lot...
    That's because Canterra wants a ridiculous price for the site. So be prepared for it to sit for awhile.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The folks at Co Co Di must be getting really sick of being forcefully relocated.
    Maybe they should stop jumping from dump to dump when the writing is on the wall regarding redevelopment downtown?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The folks at Co Co Di must be getting really sick of being forcefully relocated.
    Maybe they should stop jumping from dump to dump when the writing is on the wall regarding redevelopment downtown?
    Haha. I imagine they realize they are getting a bargain in these places.

  40. #40
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,034

    Default

    Residents concerned about tall towers proposed in Oliver
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3698657/re...sed-in-oliver/

    Oliver residents are expressing concern after a public information session on Saturday gave them a glimpse at plans for two high-rises being proposed in their neighbourhood.

    The proposed development by Greenlong Construction would see a 48-storey tower built along Jasper Avenue and 115 Street with a 37-storey tower to the north.

    There would be commercial space on the ground floor with residential above it; parking would be below grade.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  41. #41
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Meanwhile, fellow area resident John Moyse expressed concern about the height of the buildings.
    “It’s too high a density, too high of a building to put in this location,” he said.
    Oh lord.

  42. #42

    Default

    Memo to anyone living between 80 Ave and 107 Ave from 75 St to 149 St: if you want to live in low-density sprawl, move. It's only getting more dense from here on out.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  43. #43
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Bingo....

  44. #44
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Residents concerned about tall towers proposed in Oliver
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3698657/re...sed-in-oliver/

    Oliver residents are expressing concern after a public information session on Saturday gave them a glimpse at plans for two high-rises being proposed in their neighbourhood.

    The proposed development by Greenlong Construction would see a 48-storey tower built along Jasper Avenue and 115 Street with a 37-storey tower to the north.

    There would be commercial space on the ground floor with residential above it; parking would be below grade.
    I love it when residents who live in highrises come to oppose a highrise development. Its like those who live in a new suburban community that complain about developing another suburban community.

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Sunlight is low on the priority list of many renters - it usually comes down to price, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, parking and in-suite amenities. So if you don't need to sell just let it ride.
    My condo will lose about 85% of the direct natural light it enjoys now when Emerald & this go up, FWIW. It's not really a case of "oh, it's a little darker", more "I never see the sun".

    I've got it leased for the foreseeable future & my tenant loves the place. Given the glacial pace of development at times in Edmonton I'm not gonna even bother listing it until there's some actual action on the properties.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  46. #46
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Sunlight is low on the priority list of many renters - it usually comes down to price, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, parking and in-suite amenities. So if you don't need to sell just let it ride.
    My condo will lose about 85% of the direct natural light it enjoys now when Emerald & this go up, FWIW. It's not really a case of "oh, it's a little darker", more "I never see the sun".

    I've got it leased for the foreseeable future & my tenant loves the place. Given the glacial pace of development at times in Edmonton I'm not gonna even bother listing it until there's some actual action on the properties.
    And over 85% of those looking to rent your place will place 'access to sunlight' low on their overall priority list. What I'm saying is that if losing sunlight is one of the primary reasons why your choosing to sell your property you're making a bigger deal about it than necessary considering the type of investment it is.

  47. #47
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Sunlight is low on the priority list of many renters - it usually comes down to price, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, parking and in-suite amenities. So if you don't need to sell just let it ride.
    My condo will lose about 85% of the direct natural light it enjoys now when Emerald & this go up, FWIW. It's not really a case of "oh, it's a little darker", more "I never see the sun".

    I've got it leased for the foreseeable future & my tenant loves the place. Given the glacial pace of development at times in Edmonton I'm not gonna even bother listing it until there's some actual action on the properties.
    And over 85% of those looking to rent your place will place 'access to sunlight' low on their overall priority list. What I'm saying is that if losing sunlight is one of the primary reasons why your choosing to sell your property you're making a bigger deal about it than necessary considering the type of investment it is.
    Albeit I disagree (the south facing light I get at Monaco 2 is why I got my renters) I do have to say that I would wait Noodle. You're currently sitting in a buyers market with a cash positive unit. This project is 5 to 6 years away in which you would be selling in a different economic climate and having made a lot of equity and money on the side.

    The only way I would sell is if you're consolidating capital for another venture.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

  48. #48

    Default

    That's pretty much exactly my plan.

    It's now my least desirable property to keep > 10 years out, so it's the one closest to the chopping block. In the interim I'll keep it up, keep my tenant happy & be glad she covers my condo fees for my actual residence.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  49. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Residents concerned about tall towers proposed in Oliver
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3698657/re...sed-in-oliver/

    Oliver residents are expressing concern after a public information session on Saturday gave them a glimpse at plans for two high-rises being proposed in their neighbourhood.

    The proposed development by Greenlong Construction would see a 48-storey tower built along Jasper Avenue and 115 Street with a 37-storey tower to the north.

    There would be commercial space on the ground floor with residential above it; parking would be below grade.
    and so starts the dumming down of the "48 and 37" storey towers to much lower heights and that's a shame. i liked the idea of having some very tall condos in Oliver.

  50. #50

    Default

    Won't views be blocked no matter what?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

  51. #51
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Meanwhile, fellow area resident John Moyse expressed concern about the height of the buildings.
    “It’s too high a density, too high of a building to put in this location,” he said.
    Oh lord.
    And just a decade or so ago, likely someone in an 18 story tower complained about a proposed 25 story tower.

    I mean, I sympathize, but you have to know when you move into a community dominated by high rises, there'll be more and probably taller ones eventually coming.
    ... gobsmacked

  52. #52
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Won't views be blocked no matter what?
    Yes. The site is currently zoned RA9 and they could develop a 15-storey building that would block the view from The Hudson condo regardless. So their concerns about losing their view are moot.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •