Thread: Edmonton's First RWB Porsche - Akira Nakai in Town

Default Edmonton's First RWB Porsche - Akira Nakai in Town

Had the pleasure/luck of getting to shoot Akira Nakai work on Edmontons first RWB Porsche here at the local dealership.

_MG_7638 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7757 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7885 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7734 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7690 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7689 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7659 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7894 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

_MG_7759 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

That's pretty sweet. I was discussing Porsche tuners with my nephew this weekend. I used to have a RWB Porsche on my "Lotto List" of stuff to buy, but now if I stumbled on my weight in gold I'd be picking up a Singer as my tastes have changed. RWB still does crazy good work tho.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

RWB?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Japanese Porsche tuning shop, known for their over-the-top jobs on 911s like the one pictured.

http://rwb.jp/
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    That's pretty sweet. I was discussing Porsche tuners with my nephew this weekend. I used to have a RWB Porsche on my "Lotto List" of stuff to buy, but now if I stumbled on my weight in gold I'd be picking up a Singer as my tastes have changed. RWB still does crazy good work tho.
    Ah yes Singer... if only I had a few hundred k laying around, my god they are beautiful. Definitely two different ends of the spectrum for sure. I would gladly take either haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    RWB?
    Japanese Porsche tuning shop, known for their over-the-top jobs on 911s like the one pictured.

http://rwb.jp/
    Bingo, Akira Nakai is the founder and get's flown in to complete the project himself, all done by eye and hand - didn't see a measurement made anywhere. He has quite the almost cultish following. He was here for 2 days then gone.

I know it looks all arty and poser posing and stuff but why couldn't Akiri just raise the lift and be looking at his stuff from eye level instead of crouching down for perfect view direction like Werner Herzog or something.

Sorry, but that's so over the top posing it deserves to be called out.

Why would anybody position the lift like that to be working under a vehicle?

Apparently crouching is part of his shtick.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

"Why does he do the things he does in the way that's made him famous & not the way that I, a complete outsider, assumes they should be done?"

Your disdain & iron-clad belief in your inherent superiority to all those around you are in full effect today.

"Why does he do the things he does in the way that's made him famous & not the way that I, a complete outsider, assumes they should be done?"

Your disdain & iron-clad belief in your inherent superiority to all those around you are in full effect today.

Oh wait, 99.9% of mechanics use a lift properly and few would break their back and their knees like this poser does.

tbh I've NEVER seen a mechanic working this way when he has a proper lift to work with.

But some imported mechanic working on imports that figures he's an artist is a different apparent breed.

He's a poser. Its part of his act. He milks that. He eyeballs everything at awkward angles to do that because its so much more obvious and dramatic and its part of his shtick.

I'm only left wondering if he does the matrix pose shtick when a torqued bolt goes flying.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-08-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Oh wait, 99.9% of mechanics use a lift properly and few would break their back and their knees like this poser does.

tbh I've NEVER seen a mechanic working this way when he has a proper lift to work with.
    You've never seen someone put a body kit on, have you?

But some imported mechanic working on imports that figures he's an artist is a different apparent breed.

He's a poser. Its part of his act. He milks that. He eyeballs everything at awkward angles to do that because its so much more obvious and dramatic and its part of his shtick.
    No, he's putting on a body kit. Given that it's far harder to rearrange the car & the lighting to get them & the point of view correct to make sure everything is lining up than it is to pop a squat, his form is entirely reasonable.

You've never seen someone put a body kit on, have you?

No, he's putting on a body kit. Given that it's far harder to rearrange the car & the lighting to get them & the point of view correct to make sure everything is lining up than it is to pop a squat, his form is entirely reasonable.
    I'm not a kit car snob, no. Nor am I a fan of after modification or the Porsche butcher.

Whats wrong with a Porsche as is? Not good enough?

In advance I don't get it. But far from alone judging from the critique of his work.

I'm not a kit car snob, no. Nor am I a fan of after modification or the Porsche butcher.

In advance I don't get it. But far from alone judging from the critique of his work.
    So you don't know anything about the subject or individual, don't want to know anything more & only comment to stroke your own ego & satisfy your insatiable need to feed your narcissistic superiority complex only to be discovered as a know-nothing instead of a know-it-all & now are crying sour grapes?

You're hilarious. And sad.

So you don't know anything about the subject or individual, don't want to know anything more & only comment to stroke your own ego & satisfy your insatiable need to feed your narcissistic superiority complex only to be discovered as a know-nothing instead of a know-it-all & now are crying sour grapes?

Because I don't like classic car butchering and think that most after modifications make them look incredibly silly?

Its a common enough thought that is expressed. Its a waste of money hiring guys like this to butcher your car.

Your mileage obviously varies.

ps No, I commented to get a rise out of you..

How boring it must be to live in Replacement's world where all cars are best the way they come from the factory.

Do recipes in cookbooks have to be followed exactly & are LEGO sets only to be constructed exactly as the manual instructs?

No personal expressions of creativity! Uniform aesthetics for all! Replacement's vast intellect & universal expertise are all that's required!

Search the Internet and you will come across some scathing opinions of Nakai and his Porsches. "Hide your aircooled Porsches," they say, but I disagree. Modifying cars is and always will be hugely debated, but it's hard to disagree with Nakai's logic. According to Nakai, "Basically, tuning a car is freedom. It is in your own way. There are no rules and regulations. You can do whatever you like." Nakai isn't fazed in the least by his critics, and for that, I admire him and his creations even more. I look forward to the future of RWB and wish Nakai the best of luck in his pursuit of the wildest Porsches on the planet.
    https://oppositelock.kinja.com/rauh-...zin-1688741469

Well this escalated quickly... thanks for the entertainment I guess??

God this place drives me insane.

Thanks for the pics Ponto, for reals. That's a rad car & I'm glad you were there to capture it & share it with us.

Thanks for the pics Ponto, for reals. That's a rad car & I'm glad you were there to capture it & share it with us.
    You're welcome. I know a lot of people don't get the car world - we are all a little crazy.

His car's were never meant to be perfect, as RWB stands for rough world after all. They have much more feeling and uniqueness to them. Not your normal Porsche from the dealer lol.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Because I don't like classic car butchering and think that most after modifications make them look incredibly silly?

Its a common enough thought that is expressed. Its a waste of money hiring guys like this to butcher your car.

Your mileage obviously varies.

ps No, I commented to get a rise out of you..
    if akira nikai gets a rise out of you, then george barris must have made you apoplectic.

besides, in most cases neither of them have actually "butchered" any "classic cars". they are/were making changes to assembly line - albeit pricey - cars of which there is little rarity or exclusion other than price.

furthermore, in akai's case, he's not doing much that porsche wouldn't do themselves when it comes to customization either for their showrooms or for showroom ordered versions of their cars. how many variations of a 911 do you think there needs to be before you would consider porsche's variants to be butchered versions of the original?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Same here, the pics are neat. Some slippery-looking cars there. Where was this done?

Don't let old gits who just want to hear/see themselves pooping on something put you off posting more.

I've spent thousands of hours in garages\body shops growing up & personal project cars were always my favourite thing to see. Personal expression can be a wonderful thing & even if you don't "get" it everyone should be able to recognize & respect other people's passions. Isn't that what C2E is all about? Or maybe all Replacement is passionate about is peeing on people's parades?

(You know someone is a true Negative Nelly when they get called out by yours truly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Same here, the pics are neat. Some slippery-looking cars there. Where was this done?

Don't let old gits who just want to hear/see themselves pooping on something put you off posting more.
    Thanks, it was actually done at the Porsche Dealer off 170 street. First RWB car to be done at a dealership and first one to be supercharged.

I've spent thousands of hours in garages\body shops growing up & personal project cars were always my favourite thing to see. Personal expression can be a wonderful thing & even if you don't "get" it everyone should be able to recognize & respect other people's passions. Isn't that what C2E is all about? Or maybe all Replacement is passionate about is peeing on people's parades?

(You know someone is a true Negative Nelly when they get called out by yours truly.)
    Haha ah that made today better.

Ever since my first Gti back in 05 I have not left a single car stock haha. Usually just lowering, wheels and other various performance modifications (sway bars, mounts, tunes etc) but one day I would love to be able to have a project car and do something awesome like this.

C2E Continued Contributor

Replacement plz eat a snickers, you seem a bit on edge today.

Not everything has to be done in the "easiest" way. This is basically like artisan an car mod. The cars look gorgeous, but I'm sure a lot of the popularity comes from the way it was done as well, and the personal touch that it's been given.

I've had all sorts of fun stuff over the years. My first car was a '89 Civic on big chrome 17s (factory was 13/14) with enough of the ol' OONTZOONTZOONTZ in the hatch to make it unsuitable for grocery runs (mom still made me tho) & every vehicle since has had at least a little something something special or unique.

My current car wouldn't turn an uninterested/non-car-person eye if I drove it back onto the lot freshly waxed, but I could spot her in a lineup from a block away, because of the little things.

"This is my F32. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

I'll exit the thread. I do like the Full Metal Jacket reference.

I do like the snickers comment, too true, its Monday, I need one..

carry on and cheers

My current car wouldn't turn an uninterested/non-car-person eye if I drove it back onto the lot freshly waxed, but I could spot her in a lineup from a block away, because of the little things.
    I know the feeling. I have two different coloured mirrors on my Civic. Same thing right?

It's being a Civic is probably the main reason it doesn't turn heads though...

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    I know the feeling. I have two different coloured mirrors on my Civic. Same thing right?

Hahaha my highschool Civic didn't even HAVE two mirrors on it (passenger side was an option on '89 Civics) when I got it! I snagged a matching red one from a wrecker though.

Few of my buddies shots of the car nearly completed.

Saw it driving around today already, I believe they are working to get the tune for the supercharger working properly.

Stunning.

Love the peek into the engine bay. Always entertaining to see how different tuners handle the tight & awkward packaging a tuned 911 entails.

(That's a Singer engine, based on a 90's Porsche design, built with assistance from Williams Advanced Engineering. Yes, that Williams.)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...lliams-engine/

Singers engines are works of art for sure. I drool over them all the time.

I know the supercharger is watercooled, but didn't get a chance to get any close up shots of the engine when I was there (wanted to stay out of Nakaisan's way as much as possible)

When I was a wee lad I always marvelled at RUFs & loved their tuned narrow 911-based cars. They're on the Lotto List.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post

Hahaha my highschool Civic didn't even HAVE two mirrors on it (passenger side was an option on '89 Civics) when I got it! I snagged a matching red one from a wrecker though.
    My first Civic had pink wavy stripes, and a rusted out muffler, so it really did turn heads. For all the wrong reasons though.

Sorry, way off topic now.

My first Civic had a bullet hole in the driver's door - a real one, not a sticker - and it seemed to get looks from the 'hood ricer kids.

When I was a wee lad I always marvelled at RUFs & loved their tuned narrow 911-based cars. They're on the Lotto List.
    Ah yes an RUF would be gold as well!!

Well lets be honest if I can own any Porsche in my life at some point I will consider that a win.

My dad's got a 2005 Boxster S & it's a joy to drive in the summer. Spends ~7 months of the year in a tent in the backyard unfortunately.

I think he put 1500km on it this year

Ah that is a shame! My one friend picked up his McLaren 570S last year and has put 25k on it already! I was impressed.

Other end I know my friends dad has a 458 Speciale and he has put maybe 1000km on it over the last 3 years. (Investment more than car lol)

It's the only RWD car in the family, everything else is 4WD/AWD as my parents live on top of a hill & rural Strathcona County isn't exactly a snow-removal paradise. Dad's been too busy this summer for a lot of downtime or fun drives & sexy as the car is it's not the most practical to haul stuff around in

Uh, hint: It's "Replacement" not "Enhancement", "Upgrade", "Mod", "Repurpose"...