Thread: Once Again the 101 Street North of Jasper Avenue Disaster

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Angry Once Again the 101 Street North of Jasper Avenue Disaster

Once again the City has closed off half a block on 101 Street north of Jasper Avenue just as school starts after having left the Street alone for almost the entire summer.

The barricades now erected show once how out-of-touch they are with people who work and park in Scotia Place and Commerce Court particularly insofar as concerns ETS and the buses that stop in front of Bistro Praha.

I am appalled at what goes for planning at the City.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Funny you should mention that YEG Man.

Top_Dawg was trotting through there just yesterday and marvelling at what a total $hit show this is once again.

Particularly hilarious is how sloppily MAP is running water hoses from the fire hydrant that is under the overpass north for almost a whole block on the west sidewalk.

I'd rather C2E than work!

CoE Transportation seems in love with projects that never end.

They should get cabin at the lake and leave us alone!
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

I my be incorrect, but I believe this has something to do with the 102 Ave LRT pre-work.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Pre-work for what? Irritating commuters who are no infatuated with LRT and bicycles?

There is a lot of U/G utility rework/relocation/capping etc.
    www.decl.org

Got a call from a bureaucrat after my call to McKeen's office. Once again Roads and ETS appear not to coordinate anything as he said it was an ETS project. Why they couldn't have done it in conjunction with the work on Enbridge Tower is still a mystery.

The worst part was that he seemed to suggest this would be a disaster for quite some time. He was not receptive to any suggestion that Rice Howard Way become the lay-down yard. The fact that planters have been put there and fancy concrete work done and then 101 Street is tied up afterward (could the City have forced that area to be the lay down yard and worker vehicle parking area) is apparently of no concern to anyone except vehicle commuters who have to deal with this gauntlet every day....

Situation was even more insane this morning as they had two lane barriers up on the east side northbound just before the entrance to Scotia Place Parkade.

I phoned McKeen's office again and spoke with his EA, Roxanne Piper, and told her what I was told last week by Transportation. She said she would get ahold of ETS.

Lo and behold! They have removed the most easterly curb barrier to allow curb lane access to Scotia Place Parkade and, more importantly, have closed off the bus stop north of the alley so that the buses now all stop just north of Jasper Avenue between it and the alley! Leaves much more room for traffic now to maneuver.

It seems that ETS appears to have been oblivious to the traffic concerns and Transportation never talked to them.

The sad part is that the current configuration will remain for 2-3 more weeks until......they move over to the west side of 101 Street to do the similar type of work.

I find that all road projects in this city are completely insensitive to the disruption they cause. It's insane how they will block two lanes of traffic for years so they can park a bobcat on the side of the road, or just willy nilly put up barriers where they aren't needed, or close off roads for the entire construction season when the actual work only takes a couple weeks. There's a huge economic impact, but noone holds these guys accountable.

Try driving along 102 ave from 104 st until 82 st/111 ave (turning onto Jasper of course). It's literally all road closures for the entire stretch.

^^I made some inquiries as well and reminded them of the need for better coordination/communication with other area businesses, tenants, users.
    www.decl.org