Thread: Avro Arrow found?

Default Avro Arrow found?

He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^Its not the arrow, its just a model they fired with rockets to test aerodynamics (i.e. what they used to do before we had proper computer power).

I'm aware. Would still be a good find as it's part of Canada's aviation history.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wow, just when I thought I'd never have to endure another drunk guy in a bar telling me how "...that SOB killed the greatest plane that was ever made and Canada has been in the crapper ever since!", the story gets a whole new lease on life.

C'mon, get real. I don't have to be in a bar.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    C'mon, get real. I don't have to be in a bar.
    You know, after I posted, I actually thought about changing it to "at a bus stop" to sound even more pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Wow, just when I thought I'd never have to endure another drunk guy in a bar telling me how "...that SOB killed the greatest plane that was ever made and Canada has been in the crapper ever since!", the story gets a whole new lease on life.
    Yup - the American's built the Arrow, the Convair F106, almost exactly the same performance (single engine instead of two, but terrific reliability aside from lots of people dying in the ejector seat), but a lot cheaper. It was a design dead-end, at most the arrow would have had just a few minutes at the time of interception given its short range- its basically just a plane to shoot down stupidly big bombers.

The Arrow doesn’t lead the pack. It has good top speed and an acceptable service ceiling, but a thoroughly mediocre radius of action. Radius of action being the distance an aircraft can travel from its base and return, without refueling (this figure also includes a measly five minutes of combat engagement). The Arrow would have been the last to achieve IOC—whereas the very similar Convair F-106 had comparable speed, a slightly higher service ceiling, almost twice the radius of action, was available four years earlier, and was several times cheaper ($2 million per F-106 versus $8-10 million per CF-105.)
    http://taylorempireairways.com/2010/...private-myths/

In some sense, the Arrow would have been a Foxbat before the Foxbat — a super high-performance interceptor with some glaring flaws as an air superiority fighter.

Advances in technology could have increased the Arrow’s speed (although not to that of the Foxbat), but the design had many problems common to second- and third-generation fighters. Like the Foxbat (or the F-106), the Arrow could have served in an attack role only with great difficulty.

Given the sharp turn towards multirole fighter-bombers that would ensue in the 1970s, the Arrow would have likely begun to resemble a white-and-orange elephant.
    https://warisboring.com/the-avro-arr...s-jet-fighter/
    Last edited by moahunter; Today at 02:41 PM.

Oh fer ...

I need a drink in a bar.

^done my public service for today then