Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

C2E SME

Default Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

I thought I'd kick off a new thread for the Oilers given that training camp is days away.

So far, the Youngstars are 2-0 with wins over Calgary and Winnipeg.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Interesting dynamic this coming season is that it feels so different than the last decade. Usually by September 10 we'd be jonesing for hockey, feeling like we've been without Oilers hockey forever, and willing to follow any trace, even the Youngstars tournament. This offseason has been a lot shorter, and I feel less of a desire to get following the club till the season starts. Now that this club is in contender category all the other preseason stuff seems less fulfilling.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Anybody else going to the Baby Oilers vs. the combined McEwan/NAIT team game on Wednesday?
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oilers swept the rookie tournament today with a 5-4 OT win over the Canucks. The highlights of the game weren't pretty, with the Oilers being badly outshot 46-26. I didn't get a chance to watch any of the game live.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Good goaltending though.

C2E Long Term Contributor

McJesus EA video - future acting career?
    https://www.nhl.com/news/connor-mcda...18/c-291024574
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

All those other actors were at least on the same page as McDavid
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

There's an open practice this Sunday:
    https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/rele...on/c-291051004
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Would be nice if they gave the time of the practice. Also of note this competes with the Davis Cup action sameday, at Rexall place. Unless they wrap it by around noon.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Sorry about that, my link copied wrong. Here's the proper link:
    https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/rele...17/c-291044548

Here's the important part:
    Seating is general admission and a limited concession will be available for purchase. Doors to the Oilers Training Camp will open at 10:30 AM with the event scheduled from 10:45 - 1:30 PM.

Do you have what it takes to fill these big fuzzy shoes?
    'You have to have a smile on your face, despite the fact that nobody can even see your actual face'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...282032?cmp=rss

The Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) is seeking a performer to step into the oversized shoes of Hunter, the Oilers' lynx mascot unveiled last year. And according to its Aug. 16 ad, the OEG is not looking for just anybody to step up and raise the roof.

Candidates are asked to have a post-secondary degree, or to be enrolled in a post-secondary program, and have a "keen knowledge of hockey." Also required is a "minimum of three years' experience at the collegiate, minor or professional-league level."

You would be expected to be Hunter in the suit for up to four hours at a time, never losing your non-verbal enthusiasm.

Core responsibilities and duties of the new full-time Hunter will include "interaction with fans, children and clients while inside the mascot suit" and the ability to "maintain and care for costume, props and signs used during in-game or community events."
    Why the hell does it require a university degree to be a mascot?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Why the hell does it require a university degree to be a mascot?

Clearly they want somebody who can stomach lots and lots of B.S. without quitting.

(Source: I earned a Master's degree in University)

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Clearly you need to be more educated than a hockey player.

C2E Continued Contributor

I stand by my feeling that our Mascot should have been an unemployed rig work in his overalls getting perpetually hammered and staggering around giving excited fans free alcohol.

-We got corporate boardroom schlock.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E SME

I'm sure the jobs for Punter and Nanook will soon include danger pay.

Excited to be going tomorrow night.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Working the steep upper bowl with this suit on and partially restricted vision means this cat will need nine lives.

edit; ps I feel this reply worked particularly well given I was responding to "The Cat"
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-09-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Working the steep upper bowl with this suit on and partially restricted vision means this cat will need nine lives.
    you'd almost think anyone smart enough to get that university degree they list as a prerequisite should be too smart to take the job...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Finally a career that Arts grads are overqualified for.

C2E SME

edit; ps I feel this reply worked particularly well given I was responding to "The Cat"
    Meow!

Oilers beat Calgary in both split-squad games last night. 5-2 at home, and 5-4 on the road. Yeehaw!

^great performance by the away team (generally these split games are stacked for the home team, to please local fans).

So much fun last night at the game. We moved the puck well.
    www.decl.org

I'm always happy when the split-squad win sin Calgary, as that would have been the tougher game (our B squad against their A squad).

I really liked Strome with Patty and CMc.
    www.decl.org

I liked how he didn't get a sh*t when he scored the goal. No celebration at all. He recognized that it was preseason, the goal wasn't going to be the game-winner, and that he'd be scoring many more the same way. I laughed when I saw how little he cared. I think he would have had the same expression had the whistle blown for an icing call.

^he has got a little bit of New Zealand staunch in him (watch the All Blacks after scoring a try sometime)

Yamamoto was pretty good as well.

yamamoto and jokinen with RNH seems to be an upgrade from RNH/Eberle. Only preseason of course.

Coverage was nonexistent in the game yesterday. Looked like a game of shinny. That said looks like the Oilers shouldn't have too much trouble finding some goals this season. I did think however that the Oilers marking was poor as well. Jets hit something like 4 goal posts and had countless in close looks. But the Jets aside from Laine don't scare me a whole lot.

They got big guys we got big guys. From the highlights, Letestu looked really good over the last few games.

Jokinen and Yam' look good as well. That goal between Jok and Letsy looked really good but it looked like the Jets we're having trouble keeping up with Oilers speed.

6-2 Oilers over Jets tonight. First 2 periods were a bit boring, but the Oilers really turned it on for the third. It was a bit worrisome for a bit, as the Jets sent their B team, and Oilers had pretty close to their A team dressed. McDavid looked great; Puljujärvi got 2 goals an an assist, and Brad Malone had 2 goals.

Also, if you have problems accessing the stream through the website, try their Facebook page. Apparently the NHL is having problems with some of the geolocation stuff, and the FB page should work out if you have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    6-2 Oilers over Jets tonight. First 2 periods were a bit boring, but the Oilers really turned it on for the third. It was a bit worrisome for a bit, as the Jets sent their B team, and Oilers had pretty close to their A team dressed. McDavid looked great; Puljujärvi got 2 goals an an assist, and Brad Malone had 2 goals.
    Its actually got me a little worried - often in the past there has been an inverse relationship between pre-season performance and the regular season. Hopefully not though

Interesting reports that Oilers have started contract talks with Maroon. That's a tricky contract - before being on CMD's wing he was a 30 point a year (in a good year), 3rd / 4th line player, at best - he was never able to perform with Getzlaf the way he performs with CMD. Last year he got 40, ten less than Lucic who didn't need to be / wasn't suited to be, CMD's shotgun (Lucic has been a reasonably consistent 50 point guy his career). But Maroon did put up those 27 goals on CMD's wing - There is clearly great chemistry between them, but he is 30. I think maybe 3m - 4m a year, not sure though. Given that Russell got 4m, I think Oilers have to be a little careful with the cap here, there are probably a lot of $2m journeyman NHL players who could slot into CMD's wing and instantly become better.
    Last edited by moahunter; 24-09-2017 at 09:07 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^I'm more concerned about the term for Maroon than the dollars. Maybe he's finally matured and got his personal crap together, but he's a guy who wasted the best years of his career being out of shape. He was basically banished from the Philadelphia organization before he ended up in Anaheim. His nickname was Fat Maroon. I'd be very reluctant to hand him anything more than 2 years given his history.

Also, if you have problems accessing the stream through the website, try their Facebook page. Apparently the NHL is having problems with some of the geolocation stuff, and the FB page should work out if you have a problem.
    Yeah, I couldn't stream a game earlier in the week from the Oilers website, and I noticed last night that their site was changed and directed you to their Facebook feed.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

The Rogers gamecentre app worked for me yesterday and was able to stream hd quality picture of the TSN feed to my tv with only a few glitches where the picture became blurry or froze.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    ^I'm more concerned about the term for Maroon than the dollars. Maybe he's finally matured and got his personal crap together, but he's a guy who wasted the best years of his career being out of shape. He was basically banished from the Philadelphia organization before he ended up in Anaheim. His nickname was Fat Maroon. I'd be very reluctant to hand him anything more than 2 years given his history.

Yeah, I couldn't stream a game earlier in the week from the Oilers website, and I noticed last night that their site was changed and directed you to their Facebook feed.
    I'd never heard of this before. Keep in mind as well though that the Flyers org had not been well run and they offloaded some really good players including the best player they had in Jeff Carter. Plus that as in the case of Carter, and several other players, the Flyers had a developed habit of liking certain players and not liking others. Deserves to be said that the Ducks benefitted from having Maroon and have not been the same team since. They haven't really replaced him to this day.

In anycase I think a counter narrative could be developed around just the opposite. That Pat Maroon is a late blooming player that worked tirelessly to get to where he is now and has parlayed a 6th round unheralded pick to pretty good success.

Kassian is the high ranked prospect that nearly threw his career away.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.

As far as the value of a Patrick Maroon you could probably replace his production with a gift assignment of playing with McDavid but still we saw last season that Lucic didn't mesh with McD and Patty did.

What you can't replace is the onstoppable 225lbs of mature physical brute hockey player that happens to have hands. A guy that can get in the net and stay there and do things with the puck and not look at all out of place on a first line. Additionally Maroon is cited to be a good dressing room guy and he's helped to loosen this team up, to believe in themselves, and has been a positive addition here always trying to get the bench confident, positive, and fired up. This player brings infectious enthusiasm.

A lot of intangibles with Patrick Maroon right now. That said, given age, I think around 3yrs is all I would do. I think with this player you could get a home discount. Maroon likes it here and likes the opportunity here.

Watch out for Yamamoto this year. I don't know what the finale lines will be but the way he's going he could easily be on the 2nd line with Dria.

Pumped for the season, did our picks today:

Senators
    Stars
    Golden Knights
    Coyotes
    Blues
    Canadiens
    Sabres
    Sharks
    Canucks
    www.decl.org

^ Fan duel or something else?

Ian shares his season tickets with others, so he's just telling us which games he gets to go to out of the season.

^ Ahh, makes sense. If my boss did that and I had Ian's income, I'd do the same thing but I'd donate them to places like Kid Sport or something like that.

Ian shares his season tickets with others, so he's just telling us which games he gets to go to out of the season.
    Heh, thanks, I couldn't figure it out either. Yikes, that's a mediocre list of games to go to. Half a dozen clubs that missed the playoffs or are just awful and an expansion club. But of note Yotes, Golden Knights, Canucks, Senators and Sabres represent tickets few would love. More misses than hits.

Depends on whom he gives the tickets to. I'd love to any game at Rogers pl.

Habs game has huge value. Other than that these are some of the lowest draw clubs in the NHL and the weakest possible divisional matchups involving clubs that won't even be in the playoff picture. Yotes, Sabres, and Canucks hardly have NHL lineups. Its like watching AHL clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Watch out for Yamamoto this year. I don't know what the finale lines will be but the way he's going he could easily be on the 2nd line with Dria.
    Right wing is really interesting, not an area of strength, but potential. I think Oilers are destined to never be that strong on wings moving forward, more complimentary players than stars, as the stars are at center. The big money goes into center, and is spread around defense, which I believe is a smart model.

With Ryan Strome, Drake Caggiula, Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev and Kailer Yamamoto all fighting for the top 3 spots, I think all five should get a look the first few games. I expect Yamamoto to go down to junior for another year of conditioning / strength gain after a few games (maybe the full 9), but you never know, he is fast enough for the NHL right now.
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-09-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Yikes, that's a mediocre list of games to go to. Half a dozen clubs that missed the playoffs or are just awful and an expansion club. But of note Yotes, Golden Knights, Canucks, Senators and Sabres represent tickets few would love. More misses than hits.
    Last year's Sens got further in the playoffs than the Oilers did.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Right wing is really interesting, with Ryan Strome, Drake Caggiula, Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev and Kailer Yamamoto all fighting for the top 3 spots. I think all five should get a look the first few games. I expect Yamamoto to go down to junior for another year of conditioning / strength gain after a few games (maybe the full 9), but you never know, he is fast enough for the NHL right now.
    People who know more about hockey-and-kids than I do are saying that it's actually in Yamamoto's best interest to get in another year of junior, even if he's feeling right now like he wants to rush things. What do you think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Right wing is really interesting, with Ryan Strome, Drake Caggiula, Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev and Kailer Yamamoto all fighting for the top 3 spots. I think all five should get a look the first few games. I expect Yamamoto to go down to junior for another year of conditioning / strength gain after a few games (maybe the full 9), but you never know, he is fast enough for the NHL right now.
    People who know more about hockey-and-kids than I do are saying that it's actually in Yamamoto's best interest to get in another year of junior, even if he's feeling right now like he wants to rush things. What do you think of that?
    I think its probably smart, Flames took their time with Gaudreau and it paid off in spades. Gaudreau was drafted in the 4th round - I think if it hadn't been for his success, Yamamoto might have been a lot lower pick as well, so its probably a bit unfair for his development to elevate him too quickly.
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-09-2017 at 08:06 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    They haven't really replaced him to this day.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=138947

Heh, thanks, I couldn't figure it out either. Yikes, that's a mediocre list of games to go to. Half a dozen clubs that missed the playoffs or are just awful and an expansion club. But of note Yotes, Golden Knights, Canucks, Senators and Sabres represent tickets few would love. More misses than hits.
    Senators - I was born in Kanata
    Stars - Have always liked them, memories of the 90s
    Golden Knights - Curious to see them once
    Coyotes - Leftover game
    Blues - Young, exciting team
    Canadiens - Pops fav, always fun to be in the rink with a 50/50 split
    Sabres - See Blues
    Sharks - A good buddy's fav team, our tradition, typically a good game
    Canucks - Last game of the year, ie. when Connor nets his 100th G and 216pt to send the Oilers into the playoffs with 143pts
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    They haven't really replaced him to this day.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=138947
    With the proviso that of the two Pat Maroon seems to elevate his game more in the playoffs. Not just in pts or goals scored but in being a factor all over the ice. I think Maroon is a harder player to play against.

But its fair comment, and most people think Ritchie is a better player. Also younger, and already a man mountain. But obtaining Ritchie cost the Ducks a first round pick to fill a role they already had filled. Ducks had also initially traded for Jamie McGinn to try to fill Pat Maroons's skates.

So it reduces to discard Maroon for nothing, trade for McGinn, then trade him, then spend a first round pick for what they already had. Weird lateral moves by the Ducks.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-09-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Senators - I was born in Kanata
    Stars - Have always liked them, memories of the 90s
    Golden Knights - Curious to see them once
    Coyotes - Leftover game
    Blues - Young, exciting team
    Canadiens - Pops fav, always fun to be in the rink with a 50/50 split
    Sabres - See Blues
    Sharks - A good buddy's fav team, our tradition, typically a good game
    Canucks - Last game of the year, ie. when Connor nets his 100th G and 216pt to send the Oilers into the playoffs with 143pts
    Is the last game the game where its fan appreciation night and giveaways? I knew there had to be a reason to pick a Canucks game. heh. But Sam Gagner is there this season and I might watch some just for that reason.

Golden Knights might actually have a reasonable team. Better than most expansion clubs of years past. Yotes are so awful, must have been last pick.

Can't agree with Sabres being much of a draw. Not even in Buffalo.

Sens? Yeah, being born there I guess explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I was born in Kanata

And with those five words....

All becomes clear.

With the proviso that of the two Pat Maroon seems to elevate his game more in the playoffs.
    8 points in 13 games, and only 3 goals, while not terrible, wasn't exactly outstanding on CMD's line in the playoffs. If anything the feeling was Maroon was not as effective in the last playoffs as the regular season (where he did well with 24 even strength goals). He seemed to my eye, a bit worn out / tired.

^I've watched Maroon in every one of his playoffs. Games where he's been the best Duck on the ice in the playoffs.

ps, not sure what was wrong with Maroons playoff production. Its same ballpark as Connor McDavid's 9 playoff pts.

Your boy Lucic had only 2 goals, 6pts and was -5.

Oilers pts predictions folk? Also how many does Connor finish with?

104pts

45G, 62A - 107pts
    www.decl.org

Hard to say. Given how little he played in rookie season this could be looked at as sophomore jinx year. (albeit that's a somewhat superstitious term) What I think really happens is that NHL corrections occur. That teams and players scout a break out player better and they receive tighter checking, for instance what occurred in the playoffs. Connor will have to work harder to get his 100pts this season and that is of little doubt. Related is the Oilers as a team will have to work harder to get the same amount of pts. Teams will get up for games against the Oilers more now. We were just starting to see that last season.

Teams that arrive always face stiffer opposition in subsequent years. For teams like the LA Kings its even meant going from SC champs to missing playoffs. That's how strong the dynamic is.

My honest call is this will be a harder season for the Oilers and in 18-19 they will challenge for the SC. Developing teams always seem to go through some hardship before they find their way. In effect this current team was born the moment Connor was picked.

^ I agree with this, now that teams "have figured out how to play McDavid" taking away his time and space and if he can stay healthy.

So maybe 95-100pts.

This year will be the year of Auston Mathews

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Part of me agrees that McDavid will have a tougher time scoring this year because of more attention, scouting, etc. But part of me thinks he's going to be even faster, stronger, and will have an improved shot. And if there's a clamp down on slashing etc that results in more PP opportunities, that could be huge as well. I honestly think he could well end up with 110-120 points. And Draisatl has also looked very good in preseason, be could well be a point a game. Really looking forward to the real season starting.

What do you guys think about the Canucks and Kings playing in China? I'd really rather not see the Oilers play overseas games because I'd want the coaches to be able to insert players into games however they choose, not designate a group that goes overseas, and a group that stays home. While it'd be nice to have the team exposed internationally, I just don't see it being a benefit to the team overall.

1. It is important to build the brand.
    2. China.
    3. Think Olympics.
    www.decl.org

An hour after watching one of those games I wanted to watch another one...
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think the China thing was largely a failure. Most reports indicated that the games were not sold out, and most fans attending were obviously ex-pats. And if the NHL wanted to grow the game in Asia, they'd be at the Olympics in 2018. Personally, I don't think it's the job of the NHL to grow the game outside of North America. That's more the IIHF's mandate.

^china was a strange choice to me. Japan might have made a bit more sense, there is more history with Japan and skating (former NHL player Kariya is Japanese Canadian). I don't think realistically there is much hope to expand Ice Hockey though, outside the traditional markets. German might be worth more of a push, they should have played there.

Going to the most populated country on Earth can't entirely be a waste of time or failure. The exposure is worth while and at least as a one off. Although it is inconsistent to go there and not go to the Olympics. Japan is a complete waste of time and there has been some 50yrs and Olympics of trying to grow the game there. To no result whatsoever. Forget Japan. China at least is a much bigger potential market.

When you hear about hockey in Japan its usually the other type, field hockey.

This about sums up my feelings on hockey in Japan..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLt1ESy0S7U

That was Japanese Ovechkin btw, wearing #8, wanting to score a goal so bad he finished perfectly, and intently, into his own net.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-09-2017 at 06:22 PM.

I think last night was the first preseason club to play the Oilers hard and that didn't come in here with a semi AHL lineup. Canes came in and spanked the Oilers for 3 periods at home. I get that these games don't mean anything, but jebus at least man up by the 3rd period. Bad effort by the Oilers. Everybody was bad. Lucic was incredibad. Caggiulia this preseason looks determined to play his way out of the lineup. To say he was awful is being charitable.

Even McD succumbed to ineffectual Hall/Hemsky like rushes where he was turning the puck over constantly trying to beat the Canes. Whole team looked off balance, slow, and Canes skating circles around the Oilers.

Yamamoto was the best Oiler on the ice by a country mile. Not even close. He's been knocking it out of the park every game. Sublime puck movement, anticipation, is in all the right spots and puts the puck in the right spots. I'm not talking occasionally, I'm talking every shift, every time. The kid is flying and doing everything right. Against a legit NHL lineup he was the best player on his club. If ever there was a case of playing your way onto a team.

Yamamoto was the best Oiler on the ice by a country mile. Not even close. He's been knocking it out of the park every game. Sublime puck movement, anticipation, is in all the right spots and puts the puck in the right spots. I'm not talking occasionally, I'm talking every shift, every time. The kid is flying and doing everything right. Against a legit NHL lineup he was the best player on his club. If ever there was a case of playing your way onto a team.
    For sure he gets a 9 game look in the regular season. I know preseason is no indication and its early, but he's looking like he could be at least in the running for calder discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    For sure he gets a 9 game look in the regular season. I know preseason is no indication and its early, but he's looking like he could be at least in the running for calder discussions.
    The incredible thing is how he thinks the game at a high speed. Even playing on the first line with Drai and McD he was just moving the puck to the right area all the time as well as cloaking into the right positions to get a pass back. Against a Canes team that dressed their lineup and was playing like it mattered. From reports he's been doing this every game but tonight against an NHL performance.

I think the risk is that if he makes the team:

- he tires out physically (happens to a lot of young players - NHL season is much longer, often prospects look better in pre-season because they need to peak for that to make the team, whereas regular NHL players hold off their peak conditioning for a bit later in the year)
    - gets injured due to not having physically matured (some believe this is why Nuge has constant shoulder problems - was rushed into NHL too soon).
    - defensive flaws in his game become apparent as opposition teams start targeting him.

Not saying he shouldn't get a trial, and maybe he should stay up, but if we can afford to be patient / team is strong enough without him, it might be better he spends another year growing in junior. Why rush him when there is no need to?

•I like the Oilers plan and thinking with Kailer Yamamoto. He has played well. He’s been more than they could have expected, but it doesn’t change their developmental plan. He will be going back to the WHL and that is best for the player. He is very skilled, excellent at getting his stick on loose pucks and has a noticeably high on-ice acumen. He just isn’t physically ready for the NHL. One final note on comparisons to Johnny Gaudreau: Gaudreau never entered the NHL until he was 21 and he had three seasons of college where he had ample time in the gym to get stronger. Strength is much more important than weight, and as Yamamoto gains more strength he’ll benefit even more.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/09/25/...o-nhl-lineups/
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-09-2017 at 12:10 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He'll get a cup of coffee and play a few regular season games, but there's almost no chance they keep him for the season. I do like how he goes to the dirty areas, strips pucks etc. Looks like they found a steal.

^there is also the option then when we make the playoffs to bring him up for a playoff game or two at the end of the season (even if just to warm the bench, or a few short shifts in a series under control).

Oilers woke up last night and top line was dominant. Throwing the puck around beautifully. All the goals scored were nice. The 4th goal, by McDavid, is required viewing. Gets a one on one break, moves the puck sublimely, goes in, out, on the lone D back and uses him as a screen as he tucks it top shelf far corner. Would be impossible to execute the play any better. Every Cane on the ice looking down going, "well, that's McDavid"

Saskatoon crowd interesting. First time I've noted any game in Saskatoon going from token appreciation to rabid support of the Oilers in what seemed like a home game. Oilers turn around has changed the whole nature of support in Saskatchewan I imagine. We are again the team for much of Western Canada.

In anycase the Oilers vision on the ice and seeing openings and passing the puck around to create dangerous chances was very good. Now getting ready for Regular Season.

The 4th goal, by McDavid, is required viewing.
    That 4th goal was my favorite. It was just awesome.

Yep. On plays like that you just sit back and watch perfection.

Pretty amazing that we got Gretzky and now McDavid. Going to make it easier to forget the 10year futile stretch that this org had.

Unsung, but Kassian looks to be flying again this season. Oilers were savvy to acquire him, he was worth the gamble.

What's better - Kassian the player, or the narrative around how he's turned his life around on and off the ice? I can't decide.

Many here were burning me when I praised Kassian, now look.

If Yamamoto was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, no one would question keeping him around. McDavid played out the gate, as have others. Then again, if he was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, we wouldn't have been able to draft him.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    If Yamamoto was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, no one would question keeping him around. McDavid played out the gate, as have others. Then again, if he was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, we wouldn't have been able to draft him.
    I'm not sure that's true - lots of people were questioning keeping Drasaitil around in his first year, and he was more than 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier. The 9 games makes sense, but in terms of his development, going longer may or may not.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    If Yamamoto was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, no one would question keeping him around.
    The question is, will he ever be 3in taller and 20lb heavier? Maybe 1/2in and 10-15lb more? If he's not growing any more and won't be filling out much more....

Well, Yamamoto is just 2 inches smaller then Jordan Eberle. Yam according to TM is a smart player, so maybe that can make up for the 2" differences in height, when comparing Yam to Eberle.

^Eberle went back to junior and AHL after being drafted, before making the Oilers.
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-09-2017 at 02:51 PM.

That wasn't my point. I was comparing height of both players.

7 years ago the Oilers kept a skilled small forward named Omark. How did his development turn out for his NHL career?

Keep Yamamoto for 9 regular season games then send him back to Spokane for a year. The Oilers are not desperate for scoring like they were the last 10 years before getting McDavid.

Also why burn a year off Yamamoto's entry level contract when the Oilers still have to re-sign Nurse, Benning, Puljujärvi, etc.?

How is Yamamoto (Hello Moto!) different from what Sam Gagner was supposed to be back in the day?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

I think you're about right. Both very talented offensively, both tweeners.

The right move is keep Yama up for the 10 games or whatever it is, get his feet wet, and send him down for seasoning. Even though he has been spectacular but so was Gagner. I would bring Yama up for a playoff audition as well.

^ Jesse Puljujärvi,was sent to Bakersfield as well after playing a few games here last year. Hopefully he'll play for the whole season.

I think you're about right. Both very talented offensively, both tweeners.

The right move is keep Yama up for the 10 games or whatever it is, get his feet wet, and send him down for seasoning. Even though he has been spectacular but so was Gagner. I would bring Yama up for a playoff audition as well.
    I believe the right move is to assess Yamamoto on a game to game basis as they are doing now. At the end of the 9 game period, if he has earned the right to be on the team, he stays. The difference with Yamamoto and the young players in the past is he actually is earning the right to play in the NHL as a 19 year old. He has not been handed the job as was the case with Gagne, RNH, Yak, Magnus and Lander etc...

C2E SME

What a goal by Draisaitl, with 1.4 seconds left in the first period!

It was a great play. Drai had 2 beauty goals in this game. Unfortunately, and as is so often the case, when you put Drai and McD together so little is happening with the other lines. Drai scores 2 and we lose 3-2 to the lowly Vancouver Canucks one week before facing them for real.

I fear we could still have a situation where aside from the obvious top guys that the rest of the crew don't dig down much and get some production. The Nuge line was particularly disappointing and seeing 12M of Nuge and Lucic together and doing nothing is hard to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    How is Yamamoto (Hello Moto!) different from what Sam Gagner was supposed to be back in the day?
    I think the difference is that the team needed Gagner - so they kept him up to give the fans at least one thing to enjoy. Things are very different now, keeping him up is a luxury but not a necessity.

I fear we could still have a situation where aside from the obvious top guys that the rest of the crew don't dig down much and get some production. The Nuge line was particularly disappointing and seeing 12M of Nuge and Lucic together and doing nothing is hard to see.
    You do realize its pre-season don't you? Lucic will score 50 this year without playing with CMD, just like he did last year, he is experienced enough not to peak before the real games start. As to Nuge - if you put him with CMD maybe he would put up like Drai is? I'm a little disappointed Drai isn't driving his own line, at his salary, he shouldn't be CMD's wing man anymore. Nuge has traditionally put up most of his points on powerplay though - seems he has some chemistry with Yama:

• I like the look of Nugent-Hopkins and Yamamoto on the second power play unit. They both can pass and shoot the puck and it adds a different scoring angle from either side of the ice.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/09/30/...ouver-canucks/
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-10-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I think the difference is that the team needed Gagner - so they kept him up to give the fans at least one thing to enjoy. Things are very different now, keeping him up is a luxury but not a necessity.
    Exactly

You do realize its pre-season don't you? Lucic will score 50 this year without playing with CMD, just like he did last year, he is experienced enough not to peak before the real games start. As to Nuge - if you put him with CMD maybe he would put up like Drai is? I'm a little disappointed Drai isn't driving his own line, at his salary, he shouldn't be CMD's wing man anymore. Nuge has traditionally put up most of his points on powerplay though - seems he has some chemistry with Yama:

• I like the look of Nugent-Hopkins and Yamamoto on the second power play unit. They both can pass and shoot the puck and it adds a different scoring angle from either side of the ice.
    https://oilersnation.com/2017/09/30/...ouver-canucks/
    Mclellan specifically stated the team needs some production from Nuge. He stated that before the season, he's stated that during the preseason, and he stated it last night and that McD and Drai can't be doing it all, that the team has to have contributions from somebody else.

As fpr Lucic half of his points were on the PP. Playing with guys like McD and Drai. do you think a measly 25 regular season points is Milan earning his 6M.

Last time I had a hockey conversation with you you were saying I'm an ***** for suggesting Drai could be getting 9M longterm. You were saying the contract would be 6-7M.

You had nothing to say about that all offseason.

Btw Drai is not driving his own line because the coach is putting him with McD. He certainly could drive a line and will when he's put in that situation again. Wheres the similar concern for the 7th year vet, that was a first pick not being able to drive his own line? lmao at the suggestion that Nuge would put up the same pts as Drai playing with McD. Last night Nuge would pot neither of those two goals and you know it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-10-2017 at 11:46 AM.

^You said Drai was going to get multiple offers sheets, and we would lose him unless we signed him immediately for 10m. I said we should pay him 6-7, I still think that we have overpaid. Time will tell whether he produces sufficiently on his own away from CMD to justify 8.5m, I hope he proves me wrong, and has a terrific year driving his own line. Unlike you and your obsession with how terrible Nuge is, and how overpaid Lucic is relative to Maroon, I'm not going to cheer for any player to fail, we need them all playing well.
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.

^You said Drai was going to get multiple offers sheets, and we would lose him unless we signed him immediately for 10m. I said we should pay him 6-7, I still think that, we have overpaid. Time will tell whether produces sufficiently on his own to justify 8.5m, I hope he proves me wrong, and has a terrific year driving his own line.
    You know that offer sheets do not need to be disclosed, and are not necessarily disclosed. There was activity on that front from various reports. They were posted here in the offseason. Again with you saying nothing when the reports, for instance from Montreal, were suggested. I stated it would cost us a floor of 9M to sign Drai. I was only .5M off. You were around 2-2.5M off. But oddly the whole while you were ridiculing me for my postulated number which I thought was uncalled for at the time.

^there wasn't one offer sheet for Draisaitl, other than in your imagination. We overpaid him I think by about 1.5 (similar to the amount Nuge is overpaid- any team would love him at 4.5m), but lets see, I hope I'm wrong, at least the term was long so eats into some high paid free agent years. Even if he is overpaid, like Nuge, it doesn't make him any less valuable on the ice, I hope they all do well, but you carry on looking for flaws in those you hate.
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-10-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Again you don't know there weren't any offersheets because they do not need to be disclosed. Those closer to the negotiations, the Oilers, Drai, and his agent and the other clubs would know. In some instances other clubs disclose there was an offersheet just to be dicks. They are not required to. Of course the Oilers, or Drai, or his agent would obviously be reticent to disclose. Most times you hear about offersheets its because they were expected or that the club matched.

In anycase, had the Oilers lowballed in your range I rather doubt that Drai would still be playing here. The Oilers fortunately didn't stick to lowball range even if they started there (we don't know, we just know the final figure)

Myself I'd certainly rather see Drai playing for the Oilers and it makes all the difference. How pathetic it would be if Nuge was our #2C.

It will forever be odd however that you seem to think Nuge is as good as Drai and defend his play at every turn while critiquing Drai.

Strangely enough after a game in which Drai scored the only 2 goals in a 3-2 loss and both on superlative finishes that nobody else on this team other than McD could pot.

maybe its drais fault he didn't get a hat trick. (sarcasm)
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-10-2017 at 11:58 AM.

How pathetic it would be if Nuge was our #2C.
    The only pathetic thing is you don't understand how valuable Nuge is to the team, soaking up the second hardest minutes after CMD against the toughest opposition - in many respects he is our 2c. Especially if Yama stays up, I hope he can regain his scoring touch on that 2nd powerplay line and get back to the scoring he used to do (mid 50's like Lucic), he is only 24 years old.
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-10-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast