Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

I'd rather C2E than work!

Heads are going to roll
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I really am lost for words.
    There's a first time for everything
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I gave up when it was 4-0 Blues.
    I gave up last week if not before that. All the signs were there that this Oilers lineup wouldn't hunt. There is a deplorable lack of depth in this lineup at every position except Center.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I really am lost for words.
    Small benefits, and unforeseen value..

"if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I think Brossoit should start more games. Talbot has had a lot of work over the past year.

Also, perhaps Malone should be rotated into the lineup for a few games.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I gave up when it was 4-0 Blues.
    I gave up last week if not before that. All the signs were there that this Oilers lineup wouldn't hunt. There is a deplorable lack of depth in this lineup at every position except Center.
    Colour commentating in the game said something about a Oilers new player? Cant recall the name now.

Is goaltender Tyler Bunz still available? lol

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think Brossoit should start more games. Talbot has had a lot of work over the past year.

Also, perhaps Malone should be rotated into the lineup for a few games.
    Talbot needs to see less action but Brossoit isn't the guy either. Chia has been here 3 seasons and hasn't found an even passable backup. This not meant to knock Brossoit just that he's simply the guy on the shelf. The guy available, don't even need to pick up the phone. Look as well at Auvitu and Gryba signings. Auvitu was headed back to Europe. Was a non factor last season and failing to make an impression in NHL. He was imminently available to any team. Pretty much waiver wire material. Then Gryba. Team didn't even intend to sign him but eventually do so because he shows up to camp. Team quickly figures they don't have any other 6,7 capable so why not Gryba. These are simply convenience additions. Its fill.

Next the team trades Eberle for pack of socks Ryan Strome. Enough said.

Then pick up the phone and dial up Jokinen, 35 yrs old with a bad knee and come on down because it doesn't take much in offseason to please Oilers fans.

This and highballing McD and Drai contracts was Chia's work offseason. This is it.

no issue with the Drai and McDavid contracts. We currently have the third lowest payroll in the league, yet we got rid of Eberle Poliout and Pitlick.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    no issue with the Drai and McDavid contracts. We currently have the third lowest payroll in the league, yet we got rid of Eberle Poliout and Pitlick.
    I don't have particular issue with the contracts, its what I expected. But its not value either. The Oilers could have proactively gone after a Draisaitl contract a year previously. They decided not to and pay handsomely for that stupid decision. Drai post 15-16 season probably comes in at 6.5-7M. But after the season and playoffs he had that position appreciated greatly. Also that the team junked Hall and others and desperately needed Draisaitl in the fold. I mean they had to have him. They had to do it any cost. The optics of not doing it or McD contracts would be just sell the team.

Its a bit Macchiavellian but the team HAD to sign Draisaitl imo before trading Hall. The nature of what was lost from the team in that deal, and how much more Drai and McD would have to carry the offense was plain as day to anybody, including Agents and players.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-11-2017 at 09:41 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The low payroll will go up next year once McD's contract kicks in.
    Eberle had to go due to that pending cap space crunch. Overall his performance did not live up to his $6M contract, his disappearance during the playoffs sealed his fate.
    Pouliot was about as useful as a second arsehole.
    Pitlick spent more time in IR than on the ice.

The media keep harping on about the poor play of Klefbom and Talbot plus McD's defensive lapses. But there's something else going on with this team.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Sure liked Pitlic...not sure why we dumped him. Pouliot was more worhtless than a bag of pucks...Eb's - tit for tat. Strome is sort of on par

Tuned in for a minute between watching paint dry ..... 5-1 at that point.

Seriously, I've pretty much tuned out. Why should I care when they obviously don't?

But, be interested to know what players are using that fave phrase of Oilers past, "for whatever reason ....."
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The low payroll will go up next year once McD's contract kicks in.
    Eberle had to go due to that pending cap space crunch. Overall his performance did not live up to his $6M contract, his disappearance during the playoffs sealed his fate.
    Pouliot was about as useful as a second arsehole.
    Pitlick spent more time in IR than on the ice.

The media keep harping on about the poor play of Klefbom and Talbot plus McD's defensive lapses. But there's something else going on with this team.
    yes it will go up, but why not go all in this year and trade Eberle in the offseason instead? we have no cap issues at all this year. yes he sucked in the playoffs, but its not easy to replace 20 goals and 50+ points from him. pouliout and pitlick were good bottom 6 players.

Watching the Oilers in Detroit it's interesting that the new almost 900 million dollar Little Caesars Arena is half empty.

C2E SME

McClellan must have kicked the Oilers in the butt after last night's game. Oilers are leading 5-2 in the middle of the third.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Watching the Oilers in Detroit it's interesting that the new almost 900 million dollar Little Caesars Arena is half empty.
    It could be the Thanksgiving weekend, but I find the empty seats a bit disappointing, especially when Detroit is one of the most avid hockey markets.

Most likely its their Thanksgiving weekend. I liked the kid behind the glass getting a puck from Strome. Nice gesture.

Next up Buffalo black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    It could be the Thanksgiving weekend, but I find the empty seats a bit disappointing, especially when Detroit is one of the most avid hockey markets.
    Afaik the new arena is in the DT Detroit area. Kind of a reworked little pocket of Arena mania. What people in Detroit would be accustomed to, or completely comfortable with going anywhere near DT Detroit? Next, being a new arena who can afford the ticket prices? Around 76buck USD STARTING. Going up to 300. Who spends that? Not everyplace has a bunch of people like in Edmonton that figure they are rich.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-11-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Watched that Leafs game after. The rink in Florida was half empty too.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think they really needed this damn win, I'll see if it did any good on Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I think they really needed this damn win, I'll see if it did any good on Friday!
    Good to get the W. Detroit cooked a Turkey for their home fans in this one which was drastically different performance than they brought to Rogers Place. I sensed the Oilers would win last night. They will W in Buffalo, Probably go to OT in Boston. But I don't think their problems will be over. The Oilers play is of course very inconsistent with this lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Put Lucic back on McDavid's line.
    That way the Oilers will remember how hard they have to work to find success.
    I should be the assistant coach.

Kidding aside, when I posted that over two weeks ago I noticed Lucic is skating faster than last season.

It's nice to see that RNH is essentially on pace for a 30 goal season and a career year. Assuming he doesn't get hurt. Again.
    That would be pretty good value for 6Mil. Finally.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    It's nice to see that RNH is essentially on pace for a 30 goal season and a career year. Assuming he doesn't get hurt. Again.
    That would be pretty good value for 6Mil. Finally.
    Yup. At which point Chiarelli will trade him straight up for Ryan Murray, most likely.

Watched that Leafs game.....
    Why? Did you suffer severe head trauma? lol. Did your eyes burn or blister? Wait, you lost a bet didn't you?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

It was actually a good game.

Exciting overtime and shootout.

Mighty Leafs salvaged a loser point.

Not bad for a road game.

Ya it was exciting hockey really. The leafs have some mighty good young players.

May as well pick a back up team, since our boys are floundering.

Since I'm from Vancouver, lets go Canucks.

It would be nice to see the cup in Canadian cities

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345