Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

Nuge is not valuable to this club. Letestu is a better performing Center right now. Nuge is arguably #4 in terms of what he is bringing. Nuge is not a typical NHL defensive C either. He does not have the strength or size to be able to contain other WC Centers or forwards.

In anycase McD, Drai, Nuge, see a mix of top opposition. Nuge does the worst with it. Not sure what else needs to be stated.

Again where were you in the playoffs when you said Nuge and Eberle and Lucic would be bringing it in the playoffs? That they would show their value then? We've seen how much Eberle meant to the team. He was traded for Strome, lol. Oilers being happy they could give the contract away.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

There are many people that think that the Dri contract was too rich and that he was overpaid by at least a million. Edit King doesn't know that there were offer sheets. You would think if there was one the Oilers would have disclosed it as justification for the overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Edit King doesn't know that there were offer sheets. You would think if there was one the Oilers would have disclosed it as justification for the overpay.
    Its typical Replacement - he claims something is going to happen, then when it doesn't, he pretends it happened anyway. In his deranged mind Yakupov is still the best prospect in the NHL. I think Draisaitl will have a good year. But I am starting to worry a bit about the cap in a year or two, each 1m or 1.5m overpay, is a little less available if some of these kids like Yamamoto or Pool party come through. Overall PC has built a nicely balanced team by bringing in experience (Lucic, Russel), and making the tough trades of the one dimension players who don't quite fit in (Hall for Larson, Eberle for Strome).
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Lol. I'm considered wrong even when I'm right.

I said Drai would end up costing the Oilers at least 9M. I was pretty close.

Carry on I guess. Reminds me that its impossible to have sensible discussion with you on any topic about anything moa.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

TSN's Frank Seravalli predicts the Oilers will win the Cup this season

31 bold predictions for the NHL season
    http://www.tsn.ca/31-bold-prediction...eason-1.874108
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

It was a different time and we all know the game has changed a lot since #99 even with the line up Pocklington had, Slats said something like: "The Edmonton Oilers will win the Stanley Cup within 5 years," the rest is history.

Predictions are like noses, everybody has one.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Have to say I'm a little concerned about the defense at least to start the year. The defense has not looked all that good throughout preseason, including the "vets". Klefbom and Larsson appeared to have a harder time breaking out than last preseason, and with Sekera unavailable for a while, I'm not sure Benning is ready for the extra load. Then with the 3rd pairing, Benning was the puck mover between him and Nurse, and now it's likely Gryba and Nurse, neither of which are great puck movers. I know its "just preseason", but looking at the way they played, it seemed they struggled a bit against a strong forecheck.

Benning has really struggled in preseason action. Not that he seemed ready for primetime even last season. Russell also a year older, and as you say Sekera unavailable.

The first test is tonight.

One thing I hope is that the team has weeded out any previous lazy tendencies. They might think the Flames are a speedbump. Teams will be playing the Oilers harder this year, almost every game will be harder.

Exciting night ahead.

Time to give the bulls the slip and get over to the bar early to get a good seat for the big lid lifter.

Top_Dawg is stoked.

The hapless Jets are going to get schooled.

A precursor to another season for them like last season.

And also the NL Wild Card game goes tonight.

The beer will be flowin' like crazy.

It's gonna be awesome.

Go Leafs !!
    Go D-backs !!

From one of David Staples' twitter accounts
    https://twitter.com/dstaples/status/915648143588450304

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Good call, giving the A to Larsson to replace Eberle, joining Nuge and Lucic. Makes sense to me rather than Draisaitl, not because he doesn't deserve it, but because there should I think be an A leader in the defense corp.

https://oilersnation.com/2017/10/04/...rnate-captain/

^^ I'd never vote for Connor McJesus for mayor--we need him doing his other full-time job!
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Good call, giving the A to Larsson to replace Eberle, joining Nuge and Lucic. Makes sense to me rather than Draisaitl, not because he doesn't deserve it, but because there should I think be an A leader in the defense corp.

https://oilersnation.com/2017/10/04/...rnate-captain/
    Larsson makes sense getting an A. Now we have one less captain not earning it. Lets hope this year Nuge and Lucic can elevate their games in regular season and playoffs and actually perform consistent with what we are paying them and expecting from them.

Well, here we go, ready for first game.

Nice touch for the Oilers org to get Constable Mike Chernyk and Police chief Knecht out there to get a salute pregame. Both did Edmonton proud as Knecht is an excellent police chief and Chernyk played a hero last weekend somehow fending off the attacker and not relinquishing his gun after having been hit by the attackers car. Amazed to see him even walking, good to see that he seems OK. He is indeed a hero because its quite possible some people would have died if the terrorist managed to get his gun.

On the ice its a slobberknocker and fairly classic game. Offense vs Defence matchup. Mike Smith has certainly improved Calgarys goaltending and Hamonic is obviously an improvement on their blue line. Oilers need to get it going outside of our topline nobody else really establishing anything much. Really hope Slepy and Pakman see some action soon. Team is playing Cagg and he's just getting tossed around out there. Yama hasn't looked ready either. Would like the Oilers to dress the biggest team possible. PaK and Slepy would be better alternatives.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Have to say I'm a little concerned about the defense at least to start the year. The defense has not looked all that good throughout preseason, including the "vets". Klefbom and Larsson appeared to have a harder time breaking out than last preseason, and with Sekera unavailable for a while, I'm not sure Benning is ready for the extra load. Then with the 3rd pairing, Benning was the puck mover between him and Nurse, and now it's likely Gryba and Nurse, neither of which are great puck movers. I know its "just preseason", but looking at the way they played, it seemed they struggled a bit against a strong forecheck.
    Ok, I take most of this back now. Defense looked much more poised on Game 1. It's like they flipped a switch and turned off the suck.

I was on my commute coming home so I didn't get the scores of the game until I got home after the game was over. Google told me it was 3-0 Oilers

Then I saw the highlights: Holy Sh-t! All goals by McDavid. Wow!

McDavid will get the glory and dominate the highlight reels, but the real story of the game is how the Oilers' team defense completely smothered the Flames. They gave nothing to Calgary all game. Easy shutout for Talbot.

^there were some interesting comments before the game that TM had put out a bit of a challenge to the D just before the season started. They should be better this year even without Sekera because the patterns of the style of play are all familiar to them now. If they can sustain it for most of the season, this will be a great year.

I loved Lucic hitting the Calgary player to get the puck and feed it out to front of the net, resulting in McDavid's 3rd goal of the night.

Wayne Simmonds (Philly) also got a hat trick last night, but only Talbot got a shutout. Simmonds actually scored on all 3 of his shots last night. That's crazy.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 05-10-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Lucic laid out the Flame, Drai pounced on the puck and immediately fed it to McD. Drais passing on the night was superlative. McD is so fast its hard to hit him accurately on the fly and yet Drai does it every time. Around 10 excellent feeds last night.

Oilers will probably need to separate the two but nobody plays with McD like Drai does. Plus being really heavy on the puck. The Drai power move in the 3rd period creating a great scoring chance after coming out from behind the net was impressive. Drai moves to scoring areas with an opponent on his back. Our topline burns teams with speed and strength. McD is even faster this season. How can that be?

Johnny Hockey and Monahan looked like speed bumps last night. Owned by Mcd and Drai all game.

As good as Talbot was last night and the rest of the team, the Flames didn't have Jagr in the line up. Without Jagr, the Flames caught in the off ice stuff, I think, were having an off game.

To be fair, reports I've heard is that Jagr is going to get about 11 minutes/game. Maybe 3-5 shifts/game. The Flames have got to play their younger guys.

The Oilers played another perfect Home game. Love it.

Jagr will only slow the Flames down and not provide what they need which is balanced scoring. Oilers topline annihilated the Flames topline all night and that was the story, as well as the Flames getting very little depth performance. The Flames 4th line was their most effective line. That's lol worthy.

All the Flames were able to do is try to shutdown the whole game. Hoping for a 1-1 tie and an OT point.

The Flames actually played as well as they can and got shutout and beat 3-0.

Connor McDavid deftly communicated that "you can't touch this" in the first 35secs of play getting his first break. Without Smith in net this scoreline is like last season opener.

The one bright spot for Calgary was Hamonic and he still got beat like a rented mule but at least made some plays and knocked the puck off Connors stick 3 times. Hardly anybody else on the Flames could even touch Connor.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    Jagr is going to get about 11 minutes/game. Maybe 3-5 shifts/game.

How long do you think the average NHL shift is?

^ heh.

Anyway just another comment but Jokinen looked pretty solid last night. Made a lot of smart plays. I'm very unfamiliar with the player as I rarely watch the Florida clubs.

The one thing I don't understand is the OILERS trade for Desharnais last season giving up Davidson ( a good player) and then just let Desharnais walk and sign Jokinen instead. Is this much other than a lateral move and us losing Davidson? Again I don't know much about Jokinen. Not knocking him either, he looks like a solid vet, but I thought Desharnais played reasonably well for us.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He had a couple great games in the playoffs, but he's a pretty replaceable part. IMO Jokinen is a big step up from him. It was a shame to lose Davidson, but he's also a bottom of the roster, replaceable part. Apparently he's had a poor pre-season and may have played himself off the team in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    As good as Talbot was last night and the rest of the team, the Flames didn't have Jagr in the line up. Without Jagr, the Flames caught in the off ice stuff, I think, were having an off game.
    With all due respect, Jagr wasn't going to save the Flames last night. I'm happy that Jagr continues playing hockey in the NHL, but I doubt he'll be a major piece of any team.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    With all due respect, Jagr wasn't going to save the Flames last night. I'm happy that Jagr continues playing hockey in the NHL, but I doubt he'll be a major piece of any team.
    Perhaps more importantly Jagr is a waste of a jersey if the Flames ever do get to the playoffs and we face them. He gets nothing at all done in the playoffs in recent years. Rarely scores a goal. He's just not a difference maker of any kind in present day. Its on name recognition only that the Flames have this player, and to sell a few tickets in a harder market than here. Jagr will generate what resembles scoring chances but invariably they don't result in a lot of goals. At this point he's a busy player that looks good superficially but is behind the play, slower in anticipation, and passes aren't doing much. He's finally a spent force.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Perhaps more importantly Jagr is a waste of a jersey if the Flames ever do get to the playoffs and we face them. He gets nothing at all done in the playoffs in recent years. Rarely scores a goal. He's just not a difference maker of any kind in present day. Its on name recognition only that the Flames have this player, and to sell a few tickets in a harder market than here. Jagr will generate what resembles scoring chances but invariably they don't result in a lot of goals. At this point he's a busy player that looks good superficially but is behind the play, slower in anticipation, and passes aren't doing much. He's finally a spent force.
    Without looking it up and I'm no expert , I'd say average NHL shift is about 1.5-2 minutes long, but that depends on a number of factors.

Initially because of all hype over Jagr, I'm beginning to think this was a pr move more then anything.

The average shift is more like 30 - 40 seconds.

^Ok, thanks.

I didn't have time to look it up. Usually players ice time is 15-20 minutes/game, but that's up to a coaches prerogative, the player what the situation is etc.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/s...er-shift/2016/

Not a very good performance. The Oilers **** the bed identical to last week against the Canucks (preseason) and again lose 3-2 to one of the expected to be worst clubs in the league. Oilers D tonight horrendous. Canucks had something like 20 scoring chances. If the Oilers were playing a team with any kind of finish this one would have been embarrassing. The Oilers tried to win playing one period of hockey, the 3rd.

Disappointing.

At least they should be able to spank the Jets senseless on Monday.

Talbot started the game. He was lit up for 3 GA on the Nucks first 7 shots. He was pulled and Brossoit came in and played well or the Nucks could have had 6-7 goals.

Bad game, erase the tape, back to the drawing board.

Games like this though is exactly why I say this season is going to be harder for the Oilers. Every team gets up for us now.

I missed most of the game. Sounds like Talbot just had a off night.

I missed most of the game. Sounds like Talbot just had a off night.
    Talbot is a great goalie, but pretty much the whole club had an off night. It was painfully obvious even from the first period that the Oilers were not prepared mentally for this game and were not matching intensity or speed out there. With apologies to players like Kassian who made a special effort.

Drai played well also. A third period pass to McD after completing a Savardian spin that was hilite reel worthy had McD scored.

Drai is turning out to be a sensational passer. He's hit McD perfect around 10 times already this season.

The one positive was that the Lucic, Nuge, Kassian line playedreally well, Tmac complementing them after the game, Nuge the best Oilers forward on the ice, having the type of game we need from him, with 19 minutes of ice time, a goal, and 55 percent on face offs:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...saturday-night
    Last edited by moahunter; 08-10-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Since I missed most of the game last night was there any goal controversy or anything? How was officiating from a unbiased pov?

How was officiating from a unbiased pov?
    Inconsistent and unpredictable. Almost as if the refs had no idea what the rules were sometimes. In other words, a typical NHL game.

Since I missed most of the game last night was there any goal controversy or anything? How was officiating from a unbiased pov?
    I don't think it impacted the result although the Nucks got a lot of man advantages. Its that silly time of year when refs are calling everything, and also told to get on the new changes and call every wrist slash and so on. To that end it interrupts the flow of the game and how much is 5 on 5 play. It was distraction if anything. Oilers had difficulty getting their flow of play established until the 3rd period.

Not a very good performance. The Oilers **** the bed identical to last week against the Canucks (preseason) and again lose 3-2 to one of the expected to be worst clubs in the league. Oilers D tonight horrendous. Canucks had something like 20 scoring chances. If the Oilers were playing a team with any kind of finish this one would have been embarrassing. The Oilers tried to win playing one period of hockey, the 3rd.

Disappointing.

At least they should be able to spank the Jets senseless on Monday.
    Sure is quiet around here this evening

I'd say Jets top line owned the Oilers on this night. Ehlers could have easily scored a couple more on some great chances.

Maybe the Jets aren't as bad as you seem to believe. The thing that did them in last year, and looks like it might this year, is goaltending. I don't know what they were thinking with Mason.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

The Jets rarely play with the type of concerted backchecking they did tonight. They had everybody on board for one game after being absolutely embarrassed, undressed, allowing 13 goals in their first 2 GP.

So a team with everything to prove was playing a team that already proved itself last season.

This is actually the first time the Jets beat the Oilers in regulation since 2015.

The Jets typically allow a lot of chances and a lot of GA. We got them on a determined night. How often will they play this well? Even at that the Oilers had the run of play in the first period and were down 2-0. Jets got some breaks in this one, it happens. Its more than goaltending as well. The Jets D is not exactly special. That team is loaded at forward and theres not much else.

The Jets rarely play with the type of concerted backchecking they did tonight. They had everybody on board for one game after being absolutely embarrassed, undressed, allowing 13 goals in their first 2 GP.

So a team with everything to prove was playing a team that already proved itself last season.

This is actually the first time the Jets beat the Oilers in regulation since 2015.

The Jets typically allow a lot of chances and a lot of GA. We got them on a determined night. How often will they play this well? Even at that the Oilers had the run of play in the first period and were down 2-0. Jets got some breaks in this one, it happens. Its more than goaltending as well. The Jets D is not exactly special. That team is loaded at forward and theres not much else.
    Well they were missing Bufuglien, but I'm sure you think he stinks too.

How does winning one round of the playoffs qualify as "proving themselves"? People on this site were dumping on Vancouver for losing in the Finals, and only winning the President's Trophy. You continuously dump on Tampa - a team that made the Final two years in a row.

But the Oilers win a single round and they proven themselves?

They haven't proven anything. Aim a little higher.

If anyone thinks they don't have to prove themselves every single game, the team will suck.

I don't think that'll be the case. At least I hope not.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

The highlight for me was seeing RNH get that goal. It wasn't that the Oilers played poorly last night. The Jets wanted the game more on a Home team that has a big target on their jersey's. I hope the Oilers make the playoffs this year. The sky isn't falling.

The highlight for me was seeing RNH get that goal. It wasn't that the Oilers played poorly last night. The Jets wanted the game more on a Home team that has a big target on their jersey's. I hope the Oilers make the playoffs this year. The sky isn't falling.
    I was a bit concerned after the pre-season - I called it, that often a good pre-season, is bad news for the regular season when it matters. I think the team will be fine, but there's probably a little bit of a lack of hunger / reading their own press. There is a long way to go, just to make the playoffs. Nice to see Nuge continuing to put up the "secondary" scoring, although last couple of games its the "first" scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Well they were missing Bufuglien, but I'm sure you think he stinks too.

How does winning one round of the playoffs qualify as "proving themselves"? People on this site were dumping on Vancouver for losing in the Finals, and only winning the President's Trophy. You continuously dump on Tampa - a team that made the Final two years in a row.

But the Oilers win a single round and they proven themselves?

They haven't proven anything. Aim a little higher.

If anyone thinks they don't have to prove themselves every single game, the team will suck.

I don't think that'll be the case. At least I hope not.
    Buff, jmo, is better offensively than he is defensively. Last night however we got to see Trouba channeling Drew Doughty for extended moments. Something frankly that I'd never seen from him before.

Look, the Jets allowed 256GA last season, among the worst in the league. That isn't a mirage, and it isn't just goaltending. Its substandard D and lack of defensive focus as well. The Jets concerted focus last night and support in all areas is something you rarely see from that club. Something that Jets fans hadn't seen this season.

As far as the Oilers we went half way to the SC last season, probably should have won the Ducks series, and the only reason we didn't was substandard production and results from multiple players that should be producing. Core guys like McD, Drai, Talbot were great. Larsson was fantastic. The team look quite composed in the playoffs and confident. Around the league pundits feel this Oilers club is dangerous, a serious threat, with some feeling they could be favorites.

I said from the outset this season will be tough. Because I think teams will really be gearing up for the Oilers every game. The Oilers may not have as much in the tank left for this postseason and I still think they are a few players short. Next season is when I think the Oilers will go on a serious playoff run again.

Didn't the Jets play their backup against the Oilers last night?

Didn't the Jets play their backup against the Oilers last night?
    Hellbucket is probably better than Mason. He had a good game. He was making screen stops look easy. The most important thing is he wasn't giving up a lot of rebounds. Oilers kill teams on rebounds. SOG at one point were 21-11 in favor of the Oilers and we had been down 2-0. It happens sometimes. Couple goals that Talbot shouldn't let in although he played well when it was 2-0 and kept us around.

Oddly after tying the game we again lost focus. All round D coverage in this game was really bad. Give up 45 shots in the NHL and you're going to lose games.

The Oilers have to get used to every other team will bring their “A” game every night. No more taking anyone by surprise.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

According to Reid Wilkins Draisaitl is not on the ice today at practice.

As per recent Oilers history his shoulder is probably f-ed after that awesome hit from Trouba. Surgery followed by 3-6 months recovery would mean no 1L RW or 2ndL C.

^That sucks. Were spoiled a bit by lack of injuries last year. It opens up a spot for someone on that RW.

^ Not so fast. Apparently the issue was "a puck or stick near the eye last game" and "they're waiting for the swelling to go down before he returns". Nothing about his shoulder, nothing about surgery.

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...73572316610560
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Damn (but not really). So much for my baseless rumour-mongering.

Well, ajs, you were basing your post on about a decade of Oiler injuries. It's not like you were reaching for something absolutely absurd

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    The Oilers have to get used to every other team will bring their “A” game every night. No more taking anyone by surprise.
    Indeed. The fact that other teams are throwing everything they have into every play is actually kinda flattering. It only makes the Oilers stronger -- it goes both ways, since now the opposing teams have nothing up their sleeves, either. We've seen what they can do. They've got nothing else to give.

Oh man, what a drubbing. Thank goodness the Oilers have cap space. No scoring wingers but plenty of cap space. And Lucic.

Kind of like the Ice District now that I think about it. Lots of office space. No one to put in them but plenty of offices. And Iveson.

Having Dria injured is making a bit of a difference here. The Oiler are having a slow start. it happens in hockey, they'll pick things up.

What's Mayor Don got to do with the way the Oilers are playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Indeed. The fact that other teams are throwing everything they have into every play is actually kinda flattering. It only makes the Oilers stronger -- it goes both ways, since now the opposing teams have nothing up their sleeves, either. We've seen what they can do. They've got nothing else to give.
    On his night they were a well rested team at home facing a team missing their star player on the second night of back to back road games playing their backup goaltender.

Coach Todd is right - they are getting outworked. And, frankly, outsmarted. I think maybe the team have been reading too many David Staples articles.

The Oilers were missing their best player too, and I'm not talking about Draisaitl. 18% at the dot on a rare night the Oilers won the face-off %.

I'm sure they'll find their game, but I hope it's soon.

First One is Always Free

On his night they were a well rested team at home facing a team missing their star player on the second night of back to back road games playing their backup goaltender.

Coach Todd is right - they are getting outworked. And, frankly, outsmarted. I think maybe the team have been reading too many David Staples articles.

The Oilers were missing their best player too, and I'm not talking about Draisaitl. 18% at the dot on a rare night the Oilers won the face-off %.

I don't disagree. Trust me, I feel the shame. :P

Still, call me a cockeyed optimist, but I think it'll be a different story altogether by November.
    Grammar lessons now with 10% less snark!

C2E SME

Talbot also needs to play out of the net a little more. Five players (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Russell and Larsson) have goals, and only five more have one or more points. Carolina's a must-win game on Monday.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Hey great. I'm working the phones on behalf of Mayor Iveson campaign. Since we're done by 5pm I'll be able to watch a bit of wrestling, and if the hockey game goes South, I can follow the election results.

Team looked really bad without Draisaitl. Completely alters the lineup and results in McD trying to do it all on his own and setting that example for rest of the club in a series of individual efforts.

The cupboard sure looked bare for scoring last night and we can't even defend without Sekera.

Few players are distinguishing positively this season.

The afterhours with Bobby Ryan was quite revealing. Told a tale of two teams. Sens are very resolute, used to challenges, and players like Anderson, Ryan, others have had enough real life problems of the gravest variety that they have had to overcome. So that overcoming things on ice is easy, the simplest thing to do. He related that to how the Sens are so resilient. Some players on the Oilers have had that, maybe Lucic, Kassian, Maroon, and they're better for it, but a lot of players on this team have not faced real life hardship. It can kind of define you, change you. Sometimes positively.

They say that great art comes from tragedy. I wonder sometimes if great sporting result comes from it as well.

The Sens are a veteran hockey team, but veterans of life as well. They know how to get over the absence of a Karlsson, just how they knew how to get over the absence of Anderson. That team sure knows who they are.

The afterhours with Bobby Ryan was quite revealing. Told a tale of two teams. Sens are very resolute, used to challenges, and players like Anderson, Ryan, others have had enough real life problems of the gravest variety that they have had to overcome. So that overcoming things on ice is easy, the simplest thing to do. He related that to how the Sens are so resilient. Some players on the Oilers have had that, maybe Lucic, Kassian, Maroon, and they're better for it, but a lot of players on this team have not faced real life hardship. It can kind of define you, change you. Sometimes positively.

They say that great art comes from tragedy. I wonder sometimes if great sporting result comes from it as well.

The Sens are a veteran hockey team, but veterans of life as well. They know how to get over the absence of a Karlsson, just how they knew how to get over the absence of Anderson. That team sure knows who they are.
    For sure. Ottawa have a strong team identity, and when they are on their game it's hard to tell one player from the other.

The Sens and the Oil are at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as respect goes. The Sens never got any respect, and they don't get any this year, despite pushing the Stanley Cup champs to double overtime, game seven. Lots of hockey people seem to think last season was a fluke, and have them outside the playoffs looking in this season.

The Oilers, on the other hand, have been crowned by many, or most, as the team most likely to win the Cup, after the Penguins. Maybe they forgot how hard it is to win in this league. So hard to take that next step. Ask the Capitals.

Every team is going to key on McDavid this year. With Draisaitl it's a lot tougher to do, because they have to watch him too, and McDavid gets a lot more room.

I wonder about coach Todd's approach this year. He keeps saying they need to play with more speed, and also criticizes players for cheating on the back check to loop and build speed on the counter attack.

It's also easy to forget Talbot won a lot of games for the Oilers last year, and he's struggling to regain that form too.

Whiskeyjack is exactly right when he or she says teams are keying on the Oilers this year, and it will make them stronger, if they can find a way to rise to the occasion.

Kassian is the one guy that seems to bring it every game so far. But expecting him to lead the team is too much to ask of the guy. He's no McDavid, obviously.

Lucic is looking slower all the time - as slow as Jagr. But Jagr has such a strong game on the boards and in the corner, and Lucic needs some of that.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 15-10-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Team looked really bad without Draisaitl. Completely alters the lineup and results in McD trying to do it all on his own and setting that example for rest of the club in a series of individual efforts.

The cupboard sure looked bare for scoring last night and we can't even defend without Sekera.

Auvitu looked so good a couple seasons ago with NJ. He took Larsson's spot and looked just as good, if not the same kind of player. Maybe it speaks to how strong a defender Andy Greene is. Putting him and Gryba on the 3rd pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. Barely an NHL level pairing.

Hate to say it, but, Strome is no Eberle, and the Oilers are going to have a tough time replacing his 20 goals.

Time to give Wayne a demotion. Lace up them skates Gretz and show them how its done. JK

^ Maybe in the old timer league.

He turns 57 on Jan 26. Make you feel old much? Gretz is pushing 60 and I remember the kids first game here. Lol.

^ I arrived in August, Gretz arrived, what in June of 1978?

Hate to say it, but, Strome is no Eberle, and the Oilers are going to have a tough time replacing his 20 goals.
    I don't think so, we see Nuge already stepping up. Eberle has 3 assists and is negative 3, Nuge has 2 goals and is plus 2. The issue at the moment is the D and goal. Give it time. The scoring will be fine once the back end stops leaking.
    Last edited by moahunter; 16-10-2017 at 09:12 AM.

I don't think so, we see Nuge already stepping up. The issue at the moment is the D and goal. Give it time. The scoring is fine right now.
    What scoring?

Big game between Tampa and Detroit tonight.

Winner pulls ahead of the mighty Leafs for first in the Atlantic Division.

Top_Dawg will watch the whole slug fest.

No sense voting this time around.

Only the wingnut contingent running for mayor so ol' Iveson the Terrible is a shoe-in.

Also Houston's in Yankee Stadium for Game 3.

Go 'Stros !!

51 shots on net? I know they had a few (mostly right at the logo on Ward's chest), but there's no way they had 51 shots in this game.

But then, according to Sportsnet (Mark Spector - as much of a homer as it gets), they've now been awarded 5 shots - between periods! Calling the shot count "highly suspect".
    Last edited by Jimbo; 18-10-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Meh. This is reminding me of something and it sure isn't the 80s.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

51 shots on net? I know they had a few (mostly right at the logo on Ward's chest), but there's no way they had 51 shots in this game.

But then, according to Sportsnet (Mark Spector - as much of a homer as it gets), they've now been awarded 5 shots - between periods! Calling the shot count "highly suspect".
    I think the shot count was pretty strange. A lot of the difference can be in around the goal net scrums. Are you going to call every attempted push at a puck a shot? There seems to be a lot of NHL variance on what gets considered a shot.

But more interesting is that at one point in the game the Canes had 8 shots and 3 goals. The story not told in that is that they arguably had more scoring chances. In one later sequence in the game the Canes have 3 close scoring chances, 2 of them really ought to have been their 4th goal when they were up 3-0, none of them were actually shots.

So much that occurs in hockey, that is dangerous, is not described in shot count. Just one reason why hockey can defy that kind of attempt at quantifying performance based on shots. The Canes were the more dangerous club in around 45mins of the game, without the shots..

In better news Strome had himself an excellent 3rd period and seemingly settling in. He was front center in the attempted comeback. Nice goal and assist.

Auvitu looked so good a couple seasons ago with NJ. He took Larsson's spot and looked just as good, if not the same kind of player. Maybe it speaks to how strong a defender Andy Greene is. Putting him and Gryba on the 3rd pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. Barely an NHL level pairing.

Its cumulative. No Hall goals, no Gagner goals, no Eberle goals, no Yak goals. The team has moved in a different direction, has scorched earth on a lot of what they had, and are now perhaps ironically short on production wingers. Even a guy like Perron knocked in two last night.

The trouble is when guys like Kass, Maroon, Letestu (he did score last night) dry up who you gonna call?

Next this offense looks pretty dry without Draisaitl. As ironically Maroon stated its not the speed at which the team and its players moves its the speed at which you move the puck deftly that makes all the difference. Drai is very good at quick adroit passes. He's like a midfielder in Soccer working the clever quickbreak counter. Not surprisingly he's German and has watched a lot of Soccer. Draisaitl alters what this offense looks like and how quickly it moves the puck. His anticipation for what could occur is off the charts. Yamamoto is really game but in all due respect is not ready for the McDavid assignment. But he's getting rewarded on the basis of hard work and giving it his all.

Eberle hasn't scored a goal at all this year. Difference between this year and last is we aren't getting the big save when we need it. Brossoit did not make one big save last night, which cost us the game.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    Eberle hasn't scored a goal at all this year. Difference between this year and last is we aren't getting the big save when we need it. Brossoit did not make one big save last night, which cost us the game.
    I agree, Strome has more goals than Eberle. There was plenty of scoring last night (also "secondary" scoring: Letetsu, Lucic, Strome), enough to win the game. But, the goaltending was weak (0.762%), and the defense play was at times abysmal. I think Sekera is more important to the D core than a lot of us realized.
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Only part of the story.

The other news is we came out of a 6-1 blowout on home ice and started the next game playing the exact, same, stinking way. We gave up the gameplan on the first shift, got caught up ice, with one of our supposed top D even pinching on the play and got caught and scored against on the first rush, and first shift of the game, 20secs in. We went onto to do it 5 more times in the first period and trailing 3-0 due to that, despite the shot count. A script writer couldn't write a more emphatic statement on what the Oilers are doing wrong this year then what occurred in the first period, or the previous game.

The Oilers cannot outscore their lack of attention to, and lack of commitment to coverage. No team in the NHL can.

Giving up an average of 4 goals a night is a disaster and its more than goaltending.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-10-2017 at 09:58 AM.

I agree, Strome has more goals than Eberle. There was plenty of scoring last night (also "secondary" scoring: Letetsu, Lucic, Strome), enough to win the game. But, the goaltending was weak (0.762%), and the defense play was at times abysmal. I think Sekera is more important to the D core than a lot of us realized.
    D is by team. This team is not yet buying in consistently to that. One would think with Sekera out the players could make more of a commitment. Like Ottawa players are rallying around the absence of a far better player in Karlsson.

Heres whats disappointing. The Oilers just got spanked in the previous game, at home. They follow this with starting LB in the next and not following the gameplan even though they got completely annihilated and taken apart limb by limb in the previous outing. They follow it up with a 3-0 first period debacle, also at home, and for a cumulative total of 9GA in 4 periods of hockey at home with last change. We get line matching and this is how bad its been.

The team will be fine when they actually play according to the system they are supposed to play. They are presently cheating and it is costing them games.

D is by team. This team is not yet buying in consistently to that. One would think with Sekera out the players could make more of a commitment.
    That only goes so far and only really applies if you have experienced depth. The harsh reality is its a very junior D core without Sekera. Benning looked great last year, but like a lot of players, its much harder in your sophomore year. Nurse just isn't ready for more minutes yet, and Russel needs a solid player beside him. We are short an experienced D player, and with inconsistent goal tending, it creates a massive leak.

So I hear we are short on scoring wingers, short on experienced D, the goaltending is sucking, and maybe the coach is tired. McDavid isn't scoring, Drai is out, Sekera is out and there is no depth for replacements. This is sounding all too familiar. Are we heading back to the future. Yikes. Also. How did Calgary manage to aquire one of the leagues top goaltenders?

I don't think anybody thought we'd be struggling in net. I was surprised to see Brossoit starting last night. I would have started Talbot.

I think Talbot is right up there with the best in the league. Other top goaltenders, including Price, have been struggling out of the gate.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Smith is not one of the league's top goaltenders. He was briefly back in 2011-12, but otherwise he's been at best league average or slightly above average (career .913 save percentage is basically right on league average). He's definitely having a good start, but as with the Oilers' poor start, we're literally 2 weeks in to the season here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    So I hear we are short on scoring wingers, short on experienced D, the goaltending is sucking, and maybe the coach is tired. McDavid isn't scoring, Drai is out, Sekera is out and there is no depth for replacements. This is sounding all too familiar. Are we heading back to the future. Yikes. Also. How did Calgary manage to aquire one of the leagues top goaltenders?
    I think its more that they have built a stronger D. They pay a price for that though, they have a lot of cap tied up at the back end.

Talbot also had a career year last year. I think that might have covered up some fundamental issues with an inexperienced D, that are coming to light, now that he is struggling and Sekera being absent.
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-10-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Smith is not one of the league's top goaltenders. He was briefly back in 2011-12, but otherwise he's been at best league average or slightly above average (career .913 save percentage is basically right on league average). He's definitely having a good start, but as with the Oilers' poor start, we're literally 2 weeks in to the season here.
    Save percentage of course is a team metric. So that its far easier to have a great save percentage on a good club that plays competently and allows few scoring chances vs a team that is a tire fire and that like the Oilers in the past is just grabbing juicy draft picks right now and not even primed to compete. Smiths save percentage with a team as bad as the Yotes is fairly remarkable.

Also of note that goalies that play on clubs that lead all the time benefit from score effects where opponents try to get anything to the net to come back and will pad any muff shot in a desperate attempt. Thus goalies on better clubs having better save percentages.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So you are agreeing, then, that Mike Smith is one of the league's top goaltenders over recent seasons as Drumbones indicated? You'll not find many people who agree with you on that. He was definitely a better bet than Steve Mason in Winnipeg (I don't know what the hell they were thinking there), and I don't think he's bad by any means. But he's an average or somewhat above average 33 year old goalie who will only "fix" Calgary's issues in net for a year or two at best. So far the gamble is paying off.

D is by team. This team is not yet buying in consistently to that. One would think with Sekera out the players could make more of a commitment. Like Ottawa players are rallying around the absence of a far better player in Karlsson.

Heres whats disappointing. The Oilers just got spanked in the previous game, at home. They follow this with starting LB in the next and not following the gameplan even though they got completely annihilated and taken apart limb by limb in the previous outing. They follow it up with a 3-0 first period debacle, also at home, and for a cumulative total of 9GA in 4 periods of hockey at home with last change. We get line matching and this is how bad its been.

The team will be fine when they actually play according to the system they are supposed to play. They are presently cheating and it is costing them games.
    If this team could commit to a system that stresses team defence first they'll be fine. Goals will come from guys like McDavid and Draisaitl.

They are cheating on offence. There's no getting away from the spectre of the glory days Oilers. I wonder if they are looking to recapture that glory, looking for "style points". I wonder if stats are too important to some players. If they won't or don't commit to team D they are going to have a really hard time. There's no sneaking up on teams this year.

Sekera is really important to this team. He got a ton of ice time, and is impossible to replace with a single guy. They have to do it by committee. Gryba and Auvitu are borderline NHLers. I thought Auvitu was great a couple seasons ago. Now he's looking like a middling AHLer. I think the Oilers maybe counting too much on Benning taking the big step forward after a great rookie season.

Russell is struggling. I think Nurse is looking pretty good, when he doesn't try to do everything in the defensive zone. Larsson had an uncharacteristic poor game last night. I'm not worried about him. I'm surprised Klefbom is struggling, with zero points so far. Larsson and Klefbom both -3.

Last season the Oilers had virtually no injuries to key players. Nearly a miracle. Draisaitl is huge for this team. Not only does he contribute, but he opens up space for McDavid.

The Oilers are taking too many dumb, undisciplined penalties, and their special teams have been horrid.

It's too easy to blame it on the goalies, though that's been a problem too.

It's ironic that Mark Spector calls the Oilers out for being arrogant. If anyone's been arrogant, it's the Oilers media (and a lot of the fan base), including Spector and David Staples, both uber homers. It's their job to be homers, but how many times did Staples bring up the Stanley Cup in the offseason, as if it was a foregone conclusion they'd be right there with teams like Pittsburgh?

So you are agreeing, then, that Mike Smith is one of the league's top goaltenders over recent seasons as Drumbones indicated? You'll not find many people who agree with you on that. He was definitely a better bet than Steve Mason in Winnipeg (I don't know what the hell they were thinking there), and I don't think he's bad by any means. But he's an average or somewhat above average 33 year old goalie who will only "fix" Calgary's issues in net for a year or two at best. So far the gamble is paying off.
    I've been surprised at how well Smith has been playing. But he's always been one of the better goalies in the league, only struggling with a really bad team(!) in front of him the last couple seasons. I've watched him play a lot, and he's really good. Well above average.

He's shown in the past he can be one of the league's best goalies. Elite talent. I thought maybe those days were behind him, but it's not looking that way at the moment. He's looking like Talbot did last season.

I'm scratching my head as to why McLellan started Brossoit last night. Talbot has shown he thrives on lots of work.

The Oilers current problems are in net, on defence, on the wing, and, strangely, at centre.

He's had stints of above average, he's had stints of being burned out. Overall I would say he's above average but as we know with goalies there can be a lot of up and down and similar to Dubnyk in that regard. I mention that name because what both of those goalies need is somewhat similar. Keep the shots outside, give goalie a view and if puck is in tight move traffic and clean some things up. Both goalies are big and so if they can see the shots and block the lanes they will excel. On the contrary give opponents a lot of passes across all day and two on ones and there will be problems.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We'll have to agree to disagree on Smith, I guess. Most of the commentary about his trade to Calgary this summer was not particularly positive, and for good reason. And he's actually 35, not 33 as I mentioned above. I think outside of Hasek and Thomas (and maybe one or two other trivia answers) there has never been a starting goalie 35+ that's even made it to the finals, let alone won the Cup.

As far as the Dubnyk comparison goes, he's had far more consistency in his career than Smith has had. Smith essentially had one excellent year, and then his performance has bounced up and down since. Dubnyk had several years of continual improvement with the Oilers before MacT sewered him in the offseason, and since then has strung together 3-4 years of consistent top 5 performances.

Even on those awful Oilers teams, Dubnyk's save percentage was nearly .920 for the three seasons between his first and last with the team (when he melted down after MacT idiotically publicly questioned whether he was worthy of the starting position). Other than Smith's one great season in 11/12, his was more like .910-.912 or so through the Coyotes lean years. That's the difference between a well above average starting goalie, and a decent backup.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 18-10-2017 at 04:17 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Here's a good article from before Smith's trade that lays out why he was a risky gamble, and is absolutely not in the conversation as being one of the league's best: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...sk-than-reward

The outstanding 2011-12 campaign was, without a doubt, his most impressive. Smith turned in a .930 SP, eight shutouts and finished fourth in Vezina voting, but over the past five years, he boasts a .912 SP, has turned in only 12 shutouts and has landed himself not one Vezina vote, not even a fifth-place nod. Among those years was Smith’s woeful 2014-15 campaign. And while that was a season where the Coyotes were dreadful by design, hoping for a shot at Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, Smith’s .904 SP and 3.16 GAA were abysmal marks. He also lost 42 games, the third-most defeats any goaltender has suffered in the post-expansion NHL.

In addition, Smith ranks 32nd of 35 goalies to play at least 100 games over the past three seasons with a .911 save percentage. The goaltenders in similar range are Cam Ward, Antti Niemi, Kari Lehtonen, Chad Johnson and Jonathan Bernier. And while surface statistics don’t tell the whole story when it comes to Smith, underlying numbers don’t really do him much of a favor, either. Of those same 35 goaltenders over the same span, Smith ranks 26th at 5-on-5 with a .922 SP. That’s in the same company as Robin Lehner, Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller and Jaroslav Halak — hardly a who’s who of the recent Vezina trophy races.

Here's a good article from before Smith's trade that lays out why he was a risky gamble, and is absolutely not in the conversation as being one of the league's best: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...sk-than-reward

The outstanding 2011-12 campaign was, without a doubt, his most impressive. Smith turned in a .930 SP, eight shutouts and finished fourth in Vezina voting, but over the past five years, he boasts a .912 SP, has turned in only 12 shutouts and has landed himself not one Vezina vote, not even a fifth-place nod. Among those years was Smith’s woeful 2014-15 campaign. And while that was a season where the Coyotes were dreadful by design, hoping for a shot at Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, Smith’s .904 SP and 3.16 GAA were abysmal marks. He also lost 42 games, the third-most defeats any goaltender has suffered in the post-expansion NHL.

In addition, Smith ranks 32nd of 35 goalies to play at least 100 games over the past three seasons with a .911 save percentage. The goaltenders in similar range are Cam Ward, Antti Niemi, Kari Lehtonen, Chad Johnson and Jonathan Bernier. And while surface statistics don’t tell the whole story when it comes to Smith, underlying numbers don’t really do him much of a favor, either. Of those same 35 goaltenders over the same span, Smith ranks 26th at 5-on-5 with a .922 SP. That’s in the same company as Robin Lehner, Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller and Jaroslav Halak — hardly a who’s who of the recent Vezina trophy races.
    H's been a surprise so far this season. I don't think any body outside of the Flames organization thought he was the answer, but so far he's proving everybody wrong.

It's impossible to post great stats on a team that's tanking. The writer acknowledges that, but I don't think they appreciate how hard it is on a goalie when a team is terrible by design.

I didn't expect much from Smith, and thought he was a bad signing. He's proving both of us wrong, so far.

He's very strong positionally, has solid fundamentals, and he's still a pretty good athlete. Goalies tend to age much better than a forward might.

And while Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller, and Jaroslav Halak aren't elite, they're a lot better than they get credit for.

Anyway, back to the Oilers.

It's been said no team makes the playoffs by USA thanksgiving (Nov 23), but teams can miss it by then.

Early season losses always seem to come back to haunt you in the playoff race. We've certainly seen enough of that here. The Oilers need to turn it around, now. This is the season before the McDavid contract kicks in, and I think that could make for a tough cap situation.

The next few games are against some of the top teams in the league. I think playing against the best teams might actually be good for the team. There's no excuse to take them lightly, as I believe the Oilers did with Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Carolina.

Maybe getting out on the road will help bring the team together too.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Smith, I guess. Most of the commentary about his trade to Calgary this summer was not particularly positive, and for good reason. And he's actually 35, not 33 as I mentioned above. I think outside of Hasek and Thomas (and maybe one or two other trivia answers) there has never been a starting goalie 35+ that's even made it to the finals, let alone won the Cup.

As far as the Dubnyk comparison goes, he's had far more consistency in his career than Smith has had. Smith essentially had one excellent year, and then his performance has bounced up and down since. Dubnyk had several years of continual improvement with the Oilers before MacT sewered him in the offseason, and since then has strung together 3-4 years of consistent top 5 performances.

Even on those awful Oilers teams, Dubnyk's save percentage was nearly .920 for the three seasons between his first and last with the team (when he melted down after MacT idiotically publicly questioned whether he was worthy of the starting position). Other than Smith's one great season in 11/12, his was more like .910-.912 or so through the Coyotes lean years. That's the difference between a well above average starting goalie, and a decent backup.
    Isn't some of the difference also possibly due to time period in which the goalies had played? Afairc goalscoring had gone up for a little while due to some rule changes, more penalties, less interference etc. its possible that Smith is more impacted by that. I'm not saying Smith is great or anything but I don't think theres a quantum difference between him and Dubnyk, at least as much as the save percentage suggests. Anyway both when on are goalies that their teams can trust and play well in front of. Smith also plays the puck a lot, and sometimes well, and the Flames have been using him as a 6th player headmanning the puck a lot of the time. Theres of course risk/reward to that and going to be some funny moments where Smith gets assists the wrong way.

Anyway Flames have Smith and Hamonic and are a better club than they were last season because of it. I don't think Jagr adds to much over there. But at least we have Talbot who will be better again than any of the aforementioned goalies.

Anyway, back to the Oilers.

It's been said no team makes the playoffs by USA thanksgiving (Nov 23), but teams can miss it by then.

Early season losses always seem to come back to haunt you in the playoff race. We've certainly seen enough of that here. The Oilers need to turn it around, now. This is the season before the McDavid contract kicks in, and I think that could make for a tough cap situation.

The next few games are against some of the top teams in the league. I think playing against the best teams might actually be good for the team. There's no excuse to take them lightly, as I believe the Oilers did with Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Carolina.

Maybe getting out on the road will help bring the team together too.
    The Hawks are next and from what I'm hearing Drai could be out longer than expected. This is obviously our toughest opponent yet, and on the road, and in a madhouse. The disappointing thing is the Oilers not only are 1-4 but are that through a relatively normal part of the schedule in which they played some non playoff clubs and at home.

The most disappointing thing is that a pro club that previously knew how to win, and only have to apply themselves properly, are playing like shite at home in front of people paying anywhere from 80-320bucks/ticket. I can't imagine paying to see this crap play.

C2E SME

I think Draisaitl and Caggiula are on the road trip, which could mean they'll practice or even play.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think Draisaitl and Caggiula are on the road trip, which could mean they'll practice or even play.
    Drai could possibly play in Philly from reports. Not likely he sees ice tomorrow. Road trip from hell in anycase. Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh. Those are better opponents than we have faced.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Isn't some of the difference also possibly due to time period in which the goalies had played? Afairc goalscoring had gone up for a little while due to some rule changes, more penalties, less interference etc. its possible that Smith is more impacted by that.

Scoring spiked after the 2004 lockout, and it was primarily special teams scoring because of the big uptick in called penalties. Once the whistles started to get put away, scoring continued it's steady decline. So timing wise, it really wouldn't have impacted Smith any more or less than any other goalie still in the league.

C2E SME

Letestu Overtiiiiiiimmmmmeeeee Winner!

What is Drai's injury? Do we know?

^ eye and concussion from a hit by Trouba

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast