Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1342

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2017-18 Season

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The Oilers sent out a season seat satisfaction survey yesterday afternoon. They're going to get some interesting responses.

Top_Dawg giggled when he read ol' Jonesy this morning.

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey...even-less-will

That was inexcusable, and it’s getting to the point where some people are going to have to get excused around here.

You should know that there is an Oilers season seat holder breakfast with Oilers Entertainment Group CEO Bob Nicholson and Chiarelli scheduled for 7:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Absolutely perfect timing.

rumour has it that tier 1 fans at the breakfast will be offered seat upgrades...

the new seats apparently swivel 180 degrees and come with earphones so you don't have to watch the game and you don't even have to listen to it either.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I have heard from first hand sources that Katz is a capricious weirdo - surrounds himself with these BotB types and appears to get off on ordering them around. And the things you describe Marcel are certainly evidence of that temperament. Fake Burger Baron twitter account cracked wise about Katz and his 80's Oilers Doll Collection. There are deep truths in that joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    SC deciding game and 99bucks got you a brunch and game ticket. heh, Forum Inn.
    Now that's livin' large.

But yeah, Top_Dawg hears ya.

He wouldn't drop a dime on a NHL game when you can basically watch it for free.

In the comfort of home or at a bar.

And not have to sit through three hours, crammed in with a bunch of drunken chalupa heads, many of whom haven't showered in days.

And even some devotees that Top_Dawg knows who have season tickets have told him that the in game experience at Roger's is awful.

Every stoppage of play sees the music immediately blared to the point that one can't even talk to a friend seated right beside.

They hate it.
    Yep. When I'm in my rec room somebody isn't moving their *** across my line of view every few minutes looking for more beer, snacks, washrooms. Going to a game is just a ridiculous experience. Almost continually people trying to go get something. Makes me wonder why these people throw hundreds of bucks on a game just to be in the concourse lined up half the time. Then add the leanover people in front blocking view, often wearing hats and usually 6 ft 6. Seems to always happen to me. If I had DRL I would go to games but other than that not a very enjoyable experience in upper bowl. Deserves to be mentioned to that Gallery seats at Rexall, being beween the goal lines are more enjoyable. The cheap seats, few as they are, at Rogers tend to be in the corners behind the net. I prefer a side view just like watching at home.
    I'm fully aware of my Tier 2 fan status and won't likely be visiting the Plaza of the Oligarchs for a game anytime soon so my opinion is of no value. But I have to echo Replacement here. What is with people dropping major coin on a good seat straggling in 3 minutes into a period because they needed more cheese sauce for the nacho's? The mind whirls.

5 zilch at the end of the second vs Buffalo. Just friggin' wow.
    I'm watching the game on telly yesterday and even some of the most expensive seats behind the benches you see people constantly enmeshed with their smart phones staring at the little screens while they're spending 300bucks/ticket to attend a supposed visual feast. you could stare at that same smart phone anywhere you want and save the 300bucks. people go to these games, have the attention span of gnats, see another 5-0 thrashing (the Oilers are pathetic at home) and their texting friends about coming out to another one..

I can't figure it, really I can't. I haven't attended an Oilers game in the new rink though and don't intend to anytime soon unless I can score some real cheap seats. For 25bucks I would go just for a novel experience..
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-01-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Great effort by the Oilers last night. Bravo, guys.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Replacement, odds are they're not on their phones raving about the experience. They're on their phones taking selfies, checking twitter for entertainment during the game, and live-tweeting the garbage fire that they're watching.

It's still a novel experience to go to a game for a lot of people, regardless of result. Obviously a win is better, but it's still a night out that a lot of people travel for, are excited about and looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Replacement, odds are they're not on their phones raving about the experience. They're on their phones taking selfies, checking twitter for entertainment during the game, and live-tweeting the garbage fire that they're watching.

It's still a novel experience to go to a game for a lot of people, regardless of result. Obviously a win is better, but it's still a night out that a lot of people travel for, are excited about and looking forward to.
    "Checking twitter for entertainment during the game"

I really don't comprehend this, or you don't get my point, that it seems silly to be being entertained by your smartphone (which could provide entertainment any other time, even on the bus) when you're paying 300 buck/ticket for a game to be entertained by.

In effect paying 300 bucks to be so bored you're checking your smart phone. The kind of thing I do when I'm waiting in a dentists office...albeit that costs a lot, and is painful too. but less avoidable..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Damn those terrible people for enjoying things in their own way & not the way you want them to!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Damn those terrible people for enjoying things in their own way & not the way you want them to!
    Exactly.

Also, when the on-ice product is trash and the in-game production is boring people will obviously defer to the device of endless possibilities in their pocket. Why do you care if someone spending $300 and is looking at their phone anyway? You're spending money on a cable package to watch a hockey game and looking at the crowd instead of the game.

You're spending money on a cable package to watch a hockey game and looking at the crowd instead of the game.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Now I have soup everywhere!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You're spending money on a cable package to watch a hockey game and looking at the crowd instead of the game.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Now I have soup everywhere!
    I wasn't at the game but if the team is playing badly, like last night what else you gonna do? Watching the crowd seems better then watching a team like this.

I had a laugh about the guy that got his beer spilled in his lap behind the glass by the boards. He seemed good natured about it though.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

They're on their phones taking selfies, checking twitter for entertainment during the game, and live-tweeting the garbage fire that they're watching.

Maybe some of them are watching a better hockey game on their phone.

Exactly.

Also, when the on-ice product is trash and the in-game production is boring people will obviously defer to the device of endless possibilities in their pocket. Why do you care if someone spending $300 and is looking at their phone anyway? You're spending money on a cable package to watch a hockey game and looking at the crowd instead of the game.
    I spend a very minimal amount on cable and I don't exclusively watch Oilers hockey. Nor am I looking at the crowd or are the cameras focused on the crowd during play. But if I had those seat behind the bench I would be watching the bench between play, really the whole point of wanting the near the bench tickets experience is interest in whats going on on the bench. Which would have been fascinating last night. Maybe more interesting than the game itself. The NBA is an example of this. Tickets near the bench cost the most because fans want to be near the team, hear what they're saying, what the coaches are saying etc. Its the whole point of having those tickets that low. You don't get the greatest perspective view from there.

But I guess in a broader perspective the "endless possibilities in their pocket", (my lord that sounds like a pathetic iPhone commercial) is less riveting imo than attending to any realtime life experience. Which leads me to wonder if when futures lives pass if "life passing before your eyes" will just be all the smartphone versions...

the bigger irony being a generation willing to spend all their money on entertainment and always being bored..
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-01-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Maybe some of them are watching a better hockey game on their phone.

Couldn't have been.

The mighty Leafs didn't play yesterday.

They play tonight in Chicago.

And tomorrow in Dallas.

Exactly.

I spend a very minimal amount on cable and I don't exclusively watch Oilers hockey. Nor am I looking at the crowd or are the cameras focused on the crowd during play. But if I had those seat behind the bench I would be watching the bench between play, really the whole point of wanting the near the bench tickets experience is interest in whats going on on the bench. Which would have been fascinating last night. Maybe more interesting than the game itself. The NBA is an example of this. Tickets near the bench cost the most because fans want to be near the team, hear what they're saying, what the coaches are saying etc. Its the whole point of having those tickets that low. You don't get the greatest perspective view from there.

But I guess in a broader perspective the "endless possibilities in their pocket", (my lord that sounds like a pathetic iPhone commercial) is less riveting imo than attending to any realtime life experience. Which leads me to wonder if when futures lives pass if "life passing before your eyes" will just be all the smartphone versions...

the bigger irony being a generation willing to spend all their money on entertainment and always being bored..
    So in summary:

Hmm, which is it Alex.L? On one hand you're saying it's a 'novel' experience for a lot of people....and yet also suggest "they're not on their phones raving about the experience"? But if it's a 'new and not resembling something formerly known' (novel) experience why aren't they riveted to the action on the ice? Even 'regardless of result'? Why are the 'endless possibilities in their pocket (Top_Dawg, insert joke here ) suddenly more important? And your case for "it's still a night out that a lot of people travel for, are excited about and looking forward to" would imply some planning in advance. No? One would think that pre game/post game plans would have been somewhat decided what with all the travel and looking forward to the 'novel' experience.
    No, I think you did misunderstand Replacement's comment which I took more as an observation than a judgement or indictment of people's actions. But alas I come from a generation where a $300 investment would command my attention, be it a professional hockey game which I can rarely afford or a concert ticket etc.

But chances are the individual on their 'handheld device' the most of the time likely didn't drop $300 and got Corp. comps, heavily discounted or a freebie of some kind. And that's ok too.
    Last edited by bpeters; 24-01-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

34 games left, and they'll need somewhere close to 50 points (more than the 45 they have now) to make the playoffs.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
    ... gobsmacked

So basically, about 9 more loses until they are eliminated pretty much. I still had a faint bit of hope left until last night. After last night, all hope has vanished. There's no course correction now - its all over. now is the time to send people down, bring people up, test some of our up and comers in the AHL, and figure out how they got into this mess, and how to correct it for next season.

A big part of the problem was not signing someone to replace Sekera while he was injured. once he came back, the Oilers seemed to play a little bit better, but having not even treaded water, the ship was already sunk.

2018-2019 season will be the next time I purposely watch an Oilers game.
    Last edited by Medwards; 24-01-2018 at 02:33 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Replacement, are they showing the fans on their phones while the play is going on? That is some bad TV directing.

It comes from the very top, which is Daryl Katz. He just can't help himself from meddling with the team. The slavish regard for the glory years is ridiculous. We're talking almost 30 years ago, now! Even the fact that he brings his son up on stage during the NHL draft is tacky and distasteful, in my opinion. I'm sure he's a nice kid/guy, but he has no business being up there. Just like Lowe, MacTavish, and Howson have no business still collecting a pay cheque for the organization, given that they're directly responsible for the last 15+ years of abject failure. As I've said before, I've met the latter 2 and they're good enough people, and Lowe probably is too. But what does it say to everyone else in the organization that they continue to be employed by it? And from what I gather, PC's brother is a scout for the team, as well as several other relations of other management/executives. Keith Gretzky is the assistant GM. It's nepotism from top to bottom.
    I share that opinion about the draft as well. In fact I agree with this entire post.

This team could have been Seattle's problem!

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post

Hmm, which is it Alex.L? On one hand you're saying it's a 'novel' experience for a lot of people....and yet also suggest "they're not on their phones raving about the experience"? But if it's a 'new and not resembling something formerly known' (novel) experience why aren't they riveted to the action on the ice? Even 'regardless of result'? Why are the 'endless possibilities in their pocket (Top_Dawg, insert joke here ) suddenly more important? And your case for "it's still a night out that a lot of people travel for, are excited about and looking forward to" would imply some planning in advance. No? One would think that pre game/post game plans would have been somewhat decided what with all the travel and looking forward to the 'novel' experience.
    No, I think you did misunderstand Replacement's comment which I took more as an observation than a judgement or indictment of people's actions. But alas I come from a generation where a $300 investment would command my attention, be it a professional hockey game which I can rarely afford or a concert ticket etc.

But chances are the individual on their 'handheld device' the most of the time likely didn't drop $300 and got Corp. comps, heavily discounted or a freebie of some kind. And that's ok too.
    The issue you seem to be running into is assuming that the people who find it to be a novel experience, or who are actually really into the game are not necessarily the same people who are on their phones, or if they are the ones on their phones it's likely because of selfies and bragging to their friends that they're at the game. There were 18,000 unique shared experiences happening in Rogers Place last night. Characterizing (and maybe judging) them all based on the people Replacement saw looking at their phones is misguided.

He's broadcasting a judgement of the younger generation's perceived entitlement and lack of attention while disguising it as a casual observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

2018-2019 season will be the next time I purposely watch an Oilers game.
    Pretty much the sentiment felt and spoken by those of us leaving Rogers Place at the end of last nights game. Another disappointment in a season of disappointments.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Attended the B.N. P.C. luncheon today. Some very direct questions from ticket holders and I left less convinced than when I entered.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards
    test some of our up and comers in the AHL

Yeah, that's part of the problem. There are no up and comers in the AHL. The Oilers only NHL ready prospect is Pool Party. Otherwise Jones/Bear are a year or two away from the NHL. Benson and Yamamoto are in junior. And that's basically it. PC stripped the club of high draft picks and that has left it with little or no prospects. I mean, just look at the roster, there is nothing there:
    http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/team/player-stats/

If the routine darkness of his home and the rink he built next to it are any indication, Mr. Katz is hardly in the city. The fact that he bought the most expensive property ever sold in Los Angeles County (at 5 times what he paid for his house here) suggests The Oilers hockey team was thought to be a springboard into bigger things with the Oilers Entertainment Group.

His major "entertainment" property has largely not been entertaining this season.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

I just did a quick calculation of the Oilers win loss record in regular season since Katz took over ownership beginning with the 08-09 season. Of 752 regular season games played the Oilers have 293 wins and 459 losses which translates into only a .39 winning percentage. My rhetorical question is, would he accept that type of result from the other business ventures that he has been involved with? Obviously not, so why is he putting up with this garbage again this year. They were finally making strides of improvement last year and now they are back to being the same type of team that they were in the previous 8 years of futility under his ownership. What is going on at the top levels of this organization that makes it so dysfunctional that no matter what GM or coach is brought in, the on ice product is so lousy.
    Last edited by edTel; 24-01-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Maybe the Oilers are just a loss-leader (nyuk, nyuk) that got him a big venue for other OEG activities?

It comes from the very top, which is Daryl Katz. He just can't help himself from meddling with the team. The slavish regard for the glory years is ridiculous. We're talking almost 30 years ago, now! Even the fact that he brings his son up on stage during the NHL draft is tacky and distasteful, in my opinion. I'm sure he's a nice kid/guy, but he has no business being up there. Just like Lowe, MacTavish, and Howson have no business still collecting a pay cheque for the organization, given that they're directly responsible for the last 15+ years of abject failure. As I've said before, I've met the latter 2 and they're good enough people, and Lowe probably is too. But what does it say to everyone else in the organization that they continue to be employed by it? And from what I gather, PC's brother is a scout for the team, as well as several other relations of other management/executives. Keith Gretzky is the assistant GM. It's nepotism from top to bottom.
    Agree 100 percent!

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    I just did a quick calculation of the Oilers win loss record in regular season since Katz took over ownership beginning with the 08-09 season. Of 752 regular season games played the Oilers have 293 wins and 459 losses which translates into only a .39 winning percentage. My rhetorical question is, would he accept that type of result from the other business ventures that he has been involved with? Obviously not, so why is he putting up with this garbage again this year. They were finally making strides of improvement last year and now they are back to being the same type of team that they were in the previous 8 years of futility under his ownership. What is going on at the top levels of this organization that makes it so dysfunctional that no matter what GM or coach is brought in, the on ice product is so lousy.

Cause you think like a fan.

And a business owner thinks like a business owner.

.39 winning percentage on ice.

1.000 winning percentage on the balance sheet.

With ol' Mandel pulling the strings in the background, he got the city taxpayers to build him a rink gratis.

Locked up the city as a tenant in his building for twenty five years.

Roger's is pretty much sold out every game.

Among the highest ticket prices in the league.

Advertising is pretty much sold out.

Concessions ( especially alcohol sales ) are through the roof.

The only possible competing venue is shuttered.

Why would he give a flying *** about the on ice product when the city, hockey fans, and just about everybody else throws their money at him, tongue bathes his weeto, and begs for more.

Yeah, T_D's on the money here.

Ice District is a machine that uses Oilers' fan loyalty & dynastic nostalgia to power the diversification of Katz' profit-seeking opportunities in Edmonton, mostly at the taxpayer's direct expense.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Maybe that's another reason why Gretzky and Coffee were hired.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^^ Maybe that's another reason why Gretzky and Coffee were hired.
    Selling us Coffee (and booze), hiring Coffey. Personally I like all the old guards being around. Greatest team ever in hockey. Only one player of today's team that could fit in is Connor, but I don't see him with over 200 pts a season for a while yet. Amazing that Pocklington could put it all together. A tough act to follow but Connor is a good start. Cup within five years?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 25-01-2018 at 01:50 PM.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

I don't buy the assertion that Katz is in it for the money only. I am sure that he would rather be bragging about the team to his cohorts than knowing that everyone is having a good laugh at him about it behind his back. I get it too that he has a hard time letting go of the past and his friendships with some of the old boys. However, he brought in Bob Nicholson who didn't have that much of a connection to the past Oilers and he in turn brought in TMac who again does not have that past connection. But something is seriously wrong somewhere again. Is it the lack of accountability in upper management that is then passed down to the GM and then to the coach and then to the players?
    Last edited by edTel; 25-01-2018 at 04:29 PM.

He's not only an owner but he's a fan as well. I'm sure he wants them to win as much as anyone.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 25-01-2018 at 07:35 PM.

C2E SME

How many players on the Oilers take the man?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

That is complete and utter ********.

FU situation room.
    Last edited by IanO; 25-01-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    www.decl.org

Good, solid, win, but still very displeased it even got to that point.
    www.decl.org

A heck of a game. Great Battle of Alberta. I liked the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    That is complete and utter ********.

FU situation room.
    Absolutely. Last playoffs that's how Kesler and Perry scored against the Oilers (goalie interference) but the Anaheim goals were not disallowed.

BS NHL rules

I don’t understand why Matt Benning plays ahead of Brandon Davidson
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    I don’t understand why Matt Benning plays ahead of Brandon Davidson
    Nobody does except one man behind the bench.

^
    ^^
    Indeed. Terrible giveaways.
    www.decl.org

Somehow western conference teams bring out the best in the Oilers.Thaty OT goalie interference call? Complete BS.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There was also another goal tender interference call on the same night, wasn't it the Penguins or Wild game, i can't remember?

C2E SME

Oilers to play in Sweden next fall:

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey...ason-in-sweden

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Oilers to play in Sweden next fall:

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey...ason-in-sweden
    that was more exciting news until following the link and finding out that you only meant one game.

given their home record, maybe they could stay on the road a bit longer and send us Djurgårdens IF in exchange.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Does that mean we are picking up Erik Karlsson in the off season?

Man did C.M. look good in the all-star game, but once again, zero finish.
    www.decl.org

So James Neal and Connor McDavid are buds and hang out during the summer. Apparently he will be a free agent soon. Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I share that opinion about the draft as well. In fact I agree with this entire post.

This team could have been Seattle's problem!
    Proud moments at the Draft have always kind of puzzled me. Picking near the top isn't an "accomplishment" to be proud of. Not exactly a "We did it!" moment.

Everyone on stage should have to wear team sweaters and hats with the number of points their team got on them.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

MacKinnon out tomorrow night. Legit Hart candidate on a Colorado team that's been surprising everybody
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I don't buy the assertion that Katz is in it for the money only. I am sure that he would rather be bragging about the team to his cohorts than knowing that everyone is having a good laugh at him about it behind his back. I get it too that he has a hard time letting go of the past and his friendships with some of the old boys. However, he brought in Bob Nicholson who didn't have that much of a connection to the past Oilers and he in turn brought in TMac who again does not have that past connection. But something is seriously wrong somewhere again. Is it the lack of accountability in upper management that is then passed down to the GM and then to the coach and then to the players?
    Katz likes to win in everything he does, just like most of us. But he's not like most of us. He's used to winning big. I'd bet this is driving him a little crazy right now, but he has a lot going on to keep himself entertained.

C2E SME

It's an odd combination of playoff scenarios in the Eastern and Western Conference. It looks like the battle for wildcard spots will be among the Metropolitan and Central Division teams. In the east, Montreal, Detroit, Ottawa, Florida and Buffalo are near the bottom. If the Oilers were in the Central Division, we'd be in last place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Katz likes to win in everything he does, just like most of us. But he's not like most of us. He's used to winning big. I'd bet this is driving him a little crazy right now, but he has a lot going on to keep himself entertained.

The Oilers are a play thing that one puts in storage and forgets about it for long periods of time. When Entertainment district is ready for opening might yield a bit more attention but I don't expect much this year. Katz fits the perfect bill as owner in absentia.

A pretty good game against the Avs, at least they came out with a point. This McDavid fellow , has he never heard of the term hat trick? lol

C2E SME

Caggiula should have had two goals tonight!

Seems like the refs have always had it in for the Oilers way back to 1980.

Coiler fans.

Always squealing like piggies on ol' Mac's farm.

Meanwhile Leaf Nation riding a four game winning streak.

Last two are shutouts.

On the road.

Playoff spot all sewn up.

Next up - big game against the big bad Bruins.

Saturday night on your national network.

Hey - anybody doing anything interesting for Superbowl ?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Seems like the refs have always had it in for the Oilers way back to 1980.
    Sure seems that way, even going back to the "Mick" McGeough days of yore not that long ago.

The Oilers have it in for themselves more than the refs have.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Caggiula should have had two goals tonight!
    Nah, it was the right call to disallow the goal.

However, it should not have taken a coaches challenge to determine that Caggiula pushed his glove in, when they were already looking at it to see if the puck crossed the line or not. Refs can't multitask?

One feature I'd like as a TV viewer is something that rugby and cricket do: the discussion between the referee and the Television Match Official (TMO) is broadcast and uses the field scoreboard screen for replays so that the decision rationale is exposed to fans. Right now in hockey (and football) the decisions are a black box, with announcers mostly guessing while they repeat different camera angles and sometimes the reasoning for the decision is given to them after by the league in the case of controversial calls. Always keeps me from skipping through what is inevitably a couple minutes of filler for NHL and *FL games.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There should be overhead cameras at strategic points along the rink. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    One feature I'd like as a TV viewer is something that rugby and cricket do: the discussion between the referee and the Television Match Official (TMO) is broadcast and uses the field scoreboard screen for replays so that the decision rationale is exposed to fans. Right now in hockey (and football) the decisions are a black box, with announcers mostly guessing while they repeat different camera angles and sometimes the reasoning for the decision is given to them after by the league in the case of controversial calls. Always keeps me from skipping through what is inevitably a couple minutes of filler for NHL and *FL games.
    Every word and comment used to come to a conclusion should be available in real time on the broadcast. We should be hearing audio of the deliberation as well as the video used in the challenge discussion and decision. This kind of exposure would result in more awareness that the decision making process is public knowledge. It would make for more reasonable calls and deliberations.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

A coach that loses the challenge gets the delay of game penalty anyway, but they should even get a delay of game if they win the challenge and a goal is taken back. This gives the team that scored the goal a chance to redeem themselves and discourages (in theory) further coaches challenges.

A coach that loses the challenge gets the delay of game penalty anyway, but they should even get a delay of game if they win the challenge and a goal is taken back. This gives the team that scored the goal a chance to redeem themselves and discourages (in theory) further coaches challenges.
    Not sure if I'm a fan of this either. Just because in realtime the officials make a bad judgement on the ice allowing a goal shouldn't cost a team justly challenging it, and being right. For instance the goal the other night. Goalie clearly has puck trapped with his glove. Should have been whistled immediately. Cagg doesn't even play puck, he's pushing the Goalies glove in the net. Personally I hate that kind of play no matter who is doing it and theres no way that nature of play should result in a goal.

Even thought they used "goalie interference" to technically over rule the goal. (it wasn't) still, the right call was made in that it should never have been a goal. In realtime the refs didn't blow the play dead even though they should have. That should have been the review. Is the play dead?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm speaking about "coaches challenge's in general." I didn't see Thursday nights game, so I shouldn't comment on it but just coaches challenges gives me pause. This isn't football. Coaches are not officials although they (i hope) understand the dynamics of on ice officiating. Coaches need to be held accountable and for the most part they are when challenge goes against them. I'm suggesting (and its not an original thought on my part) that win or lose there needs to be ramifications here.

Let me get this straight. If you take someone to court and they are found guilty you should have to compensate them? Sounds like Putin’s Russian justice.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Let me get this straight. If you take someone to court and they are found guilty you should have to compensate them? Sounds like Putin’s Russian justice.
    You didn't get it straight - no one's talking about going to court or legal justice - this is about a hockey game.

The current "cost" of a coach's challenge is that a coach only has 1 for the entire game. Refs make enough mistakes that a challenge option is reasonable, and 1 per game is enough to make a coach have to assess whether it's worth the risk.

C2E SME

Four goals for McDavid tonight! 6-2 Oilers!

Great game. A lot of fun. Thanks Connor for such a great effort. Really made our day.

Yep, lots of fun and kudos by the hundreds for Connor's great effort.

Lots of time held in our own zone, but see in the end shots on goal against were <30, so also good.

Just, just, so feast or famine for the Oil. 5-1-1 last seven, but need to be still more hungry!
    ... gobsmacked

Great game. A lot of fun. Thanks Connor for such a great effort. Really made our day.
    Monday was better than it has a right to be this week. This was the best game of the season.

He never knew about the Safeway score 5 contest. Safeway relieved.

Wow, not since Sam Gagner...

It's too bad someone didn't tell him, he probably would have done it. He knows about it now though so look out Safeway.

I imagine Safeway has insured that.

Heading into last night's game, the oil were dead last in PK and PP.

If our special teams were a clusterf---, we'd probably still be contending at this point.

Have to probably win at least 23 games in the remaining 31 games now.

Also for prosperity: https://streamable.com/1444p
    Last edited by B.ike; 06-02-2018 at 09:24 AM.

It's too bad someone didn't tell him, he probably would have done it. He knows about it now though so look out Safeway.
    McLellan barely had him out on the ice after the 4th goal. fix is in?

I was hoping for that Score and Win to kick in.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    If they achieved that, not only would they make the playoffs, but a streak like that would make them a cup contender.

Only cup they are in contention for is a dirty toilet bowl.

If they achieved that, not only would they make the playoffs, but a streak like that would make them a cup contender.
    21 or 22 of the last 31 games for sure. That'd be a 70% win rate. Entire last year was 63%. To sustain that over 30 games would be almost impossible.

C2E SME

Only cup they are in contention for is a dirty toilet bowl.

C2E SME

I remember the 2003/04 season, the Oilers had 49 points at the end of January (52 games, 12th Place), then they wen 16-6-4-4 for 40 points, just shy of the playoffs.

Wasn't that standard practice back then?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Wasn't that standard practice back then?
    I seem to remember the opposite - having a decent record in January, and then dive into early golfing with a miserable February and March.

One way or another it was important to finish ninth!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    21 or 22 of the last 31 games for sure. That'd be a 70% win rate. Entire last year was 63%. To sustain that over 30 games would be almost impossible.
    I know you can't apply a percentage other than 100% or 0% to a single game, but they couldn't sustain it for one game against a division rival they need to catch.

They are done. The bad start did them in. They haven't exactly turned it around since.

It couldn't be more clear - the Oilers are mostly a one-man team.

Stop McDavid, or even limit him, and you beat the Oilers. The good news is that one man is very very good. The bad news is that they wasted his cheap cap hit years, and it's only going to get tougher next year to surround him with the talent they need.

I keep hearing how the Oilers are #1 in hits. That's because the other team has the puck so much of the time.

How many wide open nets did they miss tonight? A little finesse might go a lot further than heavy hockey in today's game.

Disappointing not to make the playoffs for sure but still a thrill to have Connor McDavid and be able to watch him each game. They played hard against LA but errant passes and missed chances got the better of them. Would be nice to have a couple more snipers that could bury it for sure.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-02-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Disappointing not to make the playoffs for sure but still a thrill to have Connor McDavid and be able to watch him each game. They played hard against LA but errant passes and missed chances got the better of them. Would be nice to have a couple more snipers that could bury it for sure.
    Let's face it - they are really lucky to have McDavid. It's like starting every game up a goal. Worth the price of admission.

He's such a great player sometimes I wonder if the team just expects him to do it all each night. The coaches seem to.

They stunk the joint out in the first period, and were lucky to get out of it only a goal down. Dominated the second, and deserved to be at least tied. Kemper should have had the McDavid goal, but he made a save on Draisaitl that was just stupid. That play where they hit two posts on yawning nets summed up the game, and maybe the season.

Draisaitl needs to pick it up. Yay, he scored, but brutal game - a giveaway machine. -3 (though I think the empty netters contributed to that). His skating reminds me of Lucic - lumbering stride and all. I think his huge contract is messing with his head. Paid like a superstar, but not playing like one this season. I think most of his points are courtesy McDavid. Without McD, I don't know that Draisaitl cracks the top 100 scorers.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-02-2018 at 08:12 AM.

This must be how Pittsburgh fans felt for those first few years when they first got Mario Lemieux.

C2E SME

Talbot has let in the first shot in something like 8 or 9 games this year. I'm sure part of that falls on the rest of the team, but he's really been a disappointment this year as well.

A consistent goalie this year would've made this team a playoff contender.

The Oilers have struggled mostly for the last 20 years because they haven't had a great goalie since Curtis Joseph. An argument could be made for Dwayne Roloson, but that was 10 years ago as well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Scheduling and injuries didn't do the Oilers any favours this season. If the Oilers had that Vancouver game on home ice and they didn't have that 4 day layover between Winnipeg and Ottawa, that might have been the difference maker. Draisaitl's injury etc really hurt the team in the early go.

Scheduling and injuries didn't do the Oilers any favours this season.
    I agree with you. But if the Oilers had a roster of better players, injuries and schedule quirks wouldn't be a factor.

Scheduling and injuries didn't do the Oilers any favours this season. If the Oilers had that Vancouver game on home ice and they didn't have that 4 day layover between Winnipeg and Ottawa, that might have been the difference maker. Draisaitl's injury etc really hurt the team in the early go.
    For sure, but every team deals with injuries, and most have it a lot worse than the Oilers. Didn't Draisaitl only miss 4 games?

The Oilers were blessed last season. I think they're doing pretty well on the injury front this year relative to just about every other team.

Take a look a this list. The Oilers are one of the least affected teams in the league, with two players out. Only the Flames and San Jose have fewer, with one.

At one point Anaheim was missing their top 3 centres, top 3 D, 1st string goalie, and a couple of their top wingers, most for substantial stretches.

Colorado is currently missing Sven Andrighetto, Mark Barberio, Sergei Boikov, Vladislav Kamenev, Miko Rantanen, and, of course, the big one, Nathan MacKinnon out 2-4 weeks.

Winnipeg is missing 7 players right now, including Sheifele and Trouba long term. Penguins missing 6 players. Ottawa missing 8. Islanders missing 6.

Not to suggest injuries didn't hurt the team. Frankly, I don't think Sekera is anywhere near 100%, and I don't think it's rust. And I don't think Klefbom has been healthy either. Add Larsson to that, and YIKES!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-02-2018 at 04:58 PM.

A consistent goalie this year would've made this team a playoff contender.

The Oilers have struggled mostly for the last 20 years because they haven't had a great goalie since Curtis Joseph. An argument could be made for Dwayne Roloson, but that was 10 years ago as well.
    Not even sure about this. Theres been far too many instances of the Oilers scoring 0,1,2 goals. You win very few of those games. The Oilers are a middling defensive club that give up a ton of quality chances through pourous D and poor adherence to NZ play.

Even last season, when Talbot, to my eye, was playing as well as any goalie in the league the GAA and Save % metrics did not mirror this because the Oilers just give up a lot more.

If Talbot was playing in LA he would have some of the best stats in hockey. Even a Kuemper down there is owning. Quick is awful right now. if Quick played like this in Edmonton people would have the pitchforks out.

The real problem with the Oilers lineup, is that we have 5 established goal scorers on the whole club. McD, Drai, Nuge, Maroon, Lucic. of these Lucic hasn't scored a goal in nearly 2mths (16 games) and Nuge is injured.

Anybody else we have in the lineup isn't an accomplished scorer or in the case of Letestu or Cammy are past it.

We're hopng for goals from all of Khaira, Slepy, Kass, Pak, Strome, Letestu, Cammy, Pulju, and even auditioned guys like Walker, Malone, and Jokinen. We're so desperate for winger offense we've auditioned Auvitu on wing. If ever there was a cry from a coach that I got no wingers.

The Oilers have the lowest winger goal scoring production in the entire league. Think about that, it used to be our strength.

Our top scoring Winger is Patrick Maroon with 13 goals. Lucic hasn't even broken double digits.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Scheduling and injuries didn't do the Oilers any favours this season.
    I agree with you. But if the Oilers had a roster of better players, injuries and schedule quirks wouldn't be a factor.
    But the team this year and last year, is essentially the same team. Once the team's key players are out of the equation due to injuries (and yes all teams get them) , toss the scheduling in the mix, there goes your momentum. Momentum is critical to the team's success (imo) moving forward.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Trading Eberle was one of the worst moves the Oilers did since Hall. Jessie P is one of the bright spots this season.

If the Oilers get rid of Todd McLellan during the off season, this is a team with no immediate future and McDavid will end up going the way of Taylor Hall. Even Hall made some noise to the amount of coaches he's had in his Oilers tenure.

I'll use a case in point. In the most recent game, against the Kings, LA has 6 players in the lineup with 10 or more goals. The Oilers had 3. Yeah, just 3. You know who they are without even looking. Now consider that the Kings have been missing Jeff Carter who would almost certainly have 10 or more goals, and Gaborik has been injured a lot, and who would have 10 goals.

The Oilers were only missing Nuge at forward. The only other Oiler to have scored 10 or more goals this season.

I'll note as well that the Kings, who don't get as high drafts as the Oilers do somehow are still getting quality like Kempe and Iafallo. Kempe has 16 goals so far in his rookie season and is reminiscent of Guy Lafleur. He flies down the wing, has a killer wrist shot, and is a solid two way player.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Jesse Puljujarvi has 9 goals but nothing lately. Maroon and Lucic could pick it up but i think age and the neck injury to Lucic is slowing him down.

It seems to me that the Oilers don't get enough puck possession. They had what 2-3 shots ring off the goal posts last game? No Ryan Nugent Hopkins in the line up I think was an important factor to the outcome of the LA game.

The Oilers this season have had 20 games (according to commentary) that were lost by 1 goal this season. Looking at this I'd say the Oilers really missed Larson when he was injured.

I could see the Oilers tinkering around with Letestu, maybe moving Cammalleri, keeping in mind contracts etc. As much as I like Maroon, Letestu, Cammalleri, who's left out there we can trade them for?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast