Thread: Future Development of Closed-Down Public Schools in the City's Core

Default Future Development of Closed-Down Public Schools in the City's Core

There are many public schools in the city's core are closed down and left vacant. Is there any plan for development or revitalization so that the spaces don't remain vacant?

Public school real estate is managed by Alberta Infrastructure isn't it? I know one part of AB Education is being shoehorned into an empty school Just Because they've decided that it needs to be used.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Long Term Contributor

^^huh?

There are many open and well used schools in Central Edmonton.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

There are also closed and underutilized schools. What's your point?
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It's literally his job to spin Downtown & central Edmonton in the best possible light. Once you realize he's a paid shill all of his tone policing becomes quite hilarious & readily apparent.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

oh you
    www.decl.org

oh, you. Seems like it's pretty true no? You are a paid shill to spin downtown in the best light possible and disregard, deflect, deny, or at the very least defend downtown against any negatives. I mean your role at the DBA is pretty much chief cheerleader no??

Go downtown Go
    Last edited by Medwards; 13-09-2017 at 08:51 AM.

In this case, IanO, you obviously didn't read the OP before adding a completely irrelevant statement. That there are well-used schools in the core does not negate the fact that there are also closed schools.

on topic:

Some of the closed schools will need to be maintained with the intention of re-opening eventually. There are locations where population is growing and schools will be needed again, and there are also locations where a big part of the reason a school closed is that it was abandoned by local families who didn't want their child to be in a school that was overwhelmed by ESL students or other special needs. some of those schools just needed a time out and a re-start with a fresh reputation.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It's literally his job to spin Downtown & central Edmonton in the best possible light. Once you realize he's a paid shill all of his tone policing becomes quite hilarious & readily apparent.
    Hmm. Words worthy of a ban?

I'm thinking that from its very inception c2e wanted input from all Edmontonians and particularly motivated, positive Edmontonians trying to work together to create change in the city.* So what do we get instead? People like 'the nood', seemingly a paid shill himself, jumping at the opportunity to disparage other posters.

* I wish I could find some of the original commentary on what was inspiring the creation of the website at the time - its very scope and mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Nothing I said in the statement is factually incorrect. Ian's employed to present Edmonton (and specifically Downtown) in the best light possible, often by portraying himself as a cosmopolitan man-about-town, which is pretty much the definition of being a shill.

I'm thinking that from its very inception c2e wanted input from all Edmontonians and particularly motivated, positive Edmontonians trying to work together to create change in the city.* So what do we get instead? People like 'the nood', seemingly a paid shill himself, jumping at the opportunity to disparage other posters.
    Who pays me to post negatively on C2E? I've not been getting my cheques. Or are you attempting to libel me? Because if so, you're the one engaging in bannable behaviour, insinuating falsehoods about other posters & their motives.

* I wish I could find some of the original commentary on what was inspiring the creation of the website at the time - its very scope and mandate.
    The tone policing & echo-chamber nature of the circlejerking monoculture that dominates C2E is part of the reason the site has fallen from its glory days & continually circles the drain like an overly buoyant corn-filled turd. Having frank & honest discussions about Edmonton has never been C2E's forte & trying to turn it into a pure pro-booster forum would make this place an even bigger joke than it already is.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Is there a list somewhere of all the closed schools in the MNO/core?

The three I can think of (Fulton school, St James, Avonmore) are now a daycare/dance academy, a muslim academy of some kind, and Metro continuing education

Various noodle rants, ravings and insults...
    But then how would they get that brief moment of self-satisfaction when they tell me off, before the realization that they've wasted their time & made the thread worse with their petulant whining sinks in?
    Pot calling the kettle black? In the words of a flawed AB premier, time to look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    But then how would they get that brief moment of self-satisfaction when they tell me off, before the realization that they've wasted their time & made the thread worse with their petulant whining sinks in?
    Pot calling the kettle black? In the words of a flawed AB premier, time to look in the mirror.
    And this uplifts the conversation how? Right back atcha. You can sit beside me on the hypocrite bench. Or did you think that somehow, after 10 years on this forum, that your C- attempt at chastising me would be the thing to get me to change my ways & stop responding to pathetic callouts?

And this uplifts the conversation how? Right back atcha. You can sit beside me on the hypocrite bench. Or did you think that somehow, after 10 years on this forum, that your C- attempt at chastising me would be the thing to get me to change my ways & stop responding to pathetic callouts?
    cool story, bro.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Back on topic, outside of Central High, and keeping mind the precious downtown boundaries that disqualify schools such as Bishop Grandin, what are the well attended schools downtown?
    ... gobsmacked

It is clear that the OP meant 'Central Edmonton'.

Grandin, Oliver, Riverdale, Quarters, 109st, Vic Comp all nearby and open.

We also had 2 young ones in our building taking LRT to McKernan Jr.High.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Is there a list somewhere of all the closed schools in the MNO/core?

The three I can think of (Fulton school, St James, Avonmore) are now a daycare/dance academy, a muslim academy of some kind, and Metro continuing education
    Bellevue & newton Schools out this way, we're MNO but I wouldn't call it core.

Alex Taylor, used by E4C.
    McCauley, some sort of services.
    There were a couple in Alberta Avenue.
    There can only be one.

^^There is no quarters school unless you mean mother Theresa. McCauley school is closer, at 95st and 107ave, but it's closed. So is Alex Taylor School.

By 109st you probably mean St. Joseph High School and St. Catherine School. McDougall School is also open near by.

The School in westwood has been repurposed as a private college and a seniors care facility. Balwin School (Near Belvedere) is also seniors care.

Parkdale School is now home to the Bent Arrow Healing Society. I'm pretty sure there is no longer a school there.

Most of these are reasonably good uses for the spaces, but I think that in general the school yard itself is what's grossly underutilized. What's left after a school closes is generally not the right kind of a park for a residential neighborhood if there's no school to use it intensively several times a day 5 days a week.
    There can only be one.

....& continually circles the drain like an overly buoyant corn-filled turd.

Top_Dawg has to give you a high five for that one noodler.

Nothing I said in the statement is factually incorrect. Ian's employed to present Edmonton (and specifically Downtown) in the best light possible, often by portraying himself as a cosmopolitan man-about-town, which is pretty much the definition of being a shill.

Who pays me to post negatively on C2E? I've not been getting my cheques. Or are you attempting to libel me? Because if so, you're the one engaging in bannable behaviour, insinuating falsehoods about other posters & their motives.

The tone policing & echo-chamber nature of the circlejerking monoculture that dominates C2E is part of the reason the site has fallen from its glory days & continually circles the drain like an overly buoyant corn-filled turd. Having frank & honest discussions about Edmonton has never been C2E's forte & trying to turn it into a pure pro-booster forum would make this place an even bigger joke than it already is.

I read such so called "facts" as packing a whole lot of spin - negative spin employing words with negative connotations aimed at character assassination. Only in response to a challenge civil language, like "employed" used to describe IanO. (IanO being one of the few posters to openly reveal his identity and not hide it behind a veil of anonymity. It's highly offensive to use that information against him when the rest of us hide our identities out of fear of exactly this sort of childish ******** crap.)

I've also come to expect a doubling down in hostility when someone ever so slightly dishes out the same sort of treatment towards noodle. (As evidenced above.) Additionally expect the wee little boy within to emerge immediately. Note the quick reaction to the old 'libel' extreme at the slightest suggestion that noodle none other than an anonymous poster and quite unlike IanO, might be in noodle's own words, a "paid shill". Yet am I wrong? Hasn't noodle often talked up the positives of recent electrical grid and tax policy changes? Might this anonymous poster have a vested interest in the electrical system?

As for Noodle being an overall positive influence on c2e and helping it attain its objectives? Well, just read this poster's comments above about c2e.

This anonymous poster does provide valuable, frequently correct information and clarity on a number of issues. Unfortunately this poster also often pushes the limits on what a "fact" actual is. Apparent intellect and application of? In my opinion, strong on technical issues, good grasp of language, seemingly possibly impaired or unskilled on many interpersonal levels as is evident in the name calling, and confrontational approach to other posters simply stating their opinion and perspective on an issue and not doing so with any expectation of being personally attacked for doing so. The strong language skills are unfortunately often just used as a weapon to bully rather than attempt to constructively advance a discussion.

So as for IanO. When did he begin talking positively about Edmonton? My guess is that on c2e, it began in 2006. When did he attain his current paid position? A decade later it appears.

IanO - join day date 06-02-2006

Ian O’Donnell takes reins of Edmonton’s Downtown Business Association - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

November 24, 2016

The Downtown Business Association announced Thursday Ian O’Donnell will be its new executive director.

O’Donnell will take over from Jim Taylor who announced his retirement earlier this year.

O’Donnell has worked with the Downtown Edmonton Community League and other downtown-focused boards. He also served as project manager with several architecture and development companies and has done “extensive volunteer work in the downtown,” the association said in a news release.
    O’Donnell is also an Avenue Magazine Top 40 Under 40 alumnus.

“It is a great time to be so directly involved with the next chapter of our downtown renaissance,” the new executive director said. “I look forward to working with our members and key stakeholders to ensure that the momentum we have built continues.”

He will officially assume his new role on Dec. 8. ..."

http://globalnews.ca/news/3087570/ia...s-association/

Note: Admin, if I've overstepped forum rules please delete this post.
    Last edited by KC; 13-09-2017 at 10:13 AM.

With infill happening increasing density around downtown, these urban schools won't be underutilized for long. In some neighborhoods every third house is a skinny house now! And the buyers are typically young families with school aged children.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    oh, you. Seems like it's pretty true no? You are a paid shill to spin downtown in the best light possible and disregard, deflect, deny, or at the very least defend downtown against any negatives. I mean your role at the DBA is pretty much chief cheerleader no??

Go downtown Go
    Paid shill has a negative connotation no? Or is it a positive thing to say about someone?

Also, while not apparent to many readers, IanO's real identity is well known to you and others on this forum.

His view has been known for over 10 years, yet his recent employment is being used to characterize that long standing perspective as in only doing it for the money, and doing so anonymously.
    Last edited by KC; 13-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

this thread....

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    this thread....

Just some school yard antics among us little boys that never grew up.

Whats the status on the Donald Ross School?

Is it still being leased to the Sun and Moon Visionaries?
    Would suck to see it succumb to lack of maintenance.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^

it's not "this thread". it is two camps that can't agree on what colour the sky is.

one camp gets frustrated because it thinks that being a spokesperson on behalf of an organization equates to being a snake oil shill. being a spokesperson is a perfectly legitimate and appropriate and necessary role for the organization and deserves more respect than it gets.

the other camp gets frustrated because it believes that its partisan outlook and lobbying is completely impartial and objective. it isn't and pretending that it is takes away from the perfectly legitimate role being undertaken.

and then you get the personalities involved who seem to think that adding fuel to the fire legitimizes the position of their particular camp. "oh you" adds as much to the discussion as "bingo". it's not the gentle teasing it will be said to have been - or that it may have been meant to be. it is provocative and antagonistic. as is clarifying the original posters intent as "central edmonton". IanO would have been within his rights to clarify his responses to have included "central edmonton" but the op is capable of clarifying his own intent - clarifying it for him is at best presumptuous and condescending.

and then the other camp jumps in the pool like the proverbial poked bear expressing their outrage but contributing nothing to the actual conversation the thread was meant to start, hijacking the thread in an equally presumptuous and condescending manner.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ^^^

it's not "this thread". it is two camps that can't agree on what colour the sky is.

one camp gets frustrated because it thinks that being a spokesperson on behalf of an organization equates to being a snake oil shill. being a spokesperson is a perfectly legitimate and appropriate and necessary role for the organization and deserves more respect than it gets.

the other camp gets frustrated because it believes that its partisan outlook and lobbying is completely impartial and objective. it isn't and pretending that it is takes away from the perfectly legitimate role being undertaken.

and then you get the personalities involved who seem to think that adding fuel to the fire legitimizes the position of their particular camp. "oh you" adds as much to the discussion as "bingo". it's not the gentle teasing it will be said to have been - or that it may have been meant to be. it is provocative and antagonistic. as is clarifying the original posters intent as "central edmonton". IanO would have been within his rights to clarify his responses to have included "central edmonton" but the op is capable of clarifying his own intent - clarifying it for him is at best presumptuous and condescending.

and then the other camp jumps in the pool like the proverbial poked bear expressing their outrage but contributing nothing to the actual conversation the thread was meant to start, hijacking the thread in an equally presumptuous and condescending manner.

The hostility is so tiresome - and boring. (Yes, we're all somewhat boring, socially inept people and that's why we're here but the lack of effort to up the 'tone of conversation' is pitiful. It's sad but everyone has to sink to this lowest common denominator in terms of communication in order to get it into some people's heads that they aren't playing an overly beneficial role on this site.) We have numbers of 'hilarious' threads that are hard to take seriously (Trump, etc. and almost all the threads I start) and I see that as fine, hopefully entertaining and I'd hope that it doesn't really affect the city beyond revealing the nature of its citizens (which I see as highly valuable) but they tend to be rightly in the Off Topic/General Discussion area where expectations are low.

So while poking fun at others can be civil and entertaining dialogue, that rarely happens here. Instead it's incessant attempts at character assassination - if not career assassination when the 'victim' is publicly known. ('Whatever you say or do, WILL be used against you.' - with an added few attacks at one's character or intelligence.} That behaviour and the expectation of others, but not of ourselves, to 'fully flesh' out a statement or opinion or question as if it were some sort of official or legal submission is ludicrous. It's a public forum where people briefly pop in, toss out a comment or question, and then pop out to get on with their lives. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt and consideration that wide ranging statements are going to be made and that not everyone is going to spend an hour or two, or even a minute researching something or other. However, one low expectation that applies to the face-to-face world and should to some degree apply here is some small effort at civil discussion. It's a very, very low hurdle for most people - including the socially inept.
    Last edited by KC; 13-09-2017 at 11:25 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Well said KC
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

^^^

The hostility is so tiresome - and boring. (Yes, we're all somewhat boring, socially inept people and that's why we're here but the lack of effort to up the 'tone of conversation' is pitiful. It's sad but everyone has to sink to this lowest common denominator in terms of communication in order to get it into some people's heads that they aren't playing an overly beneficial role on this site.) We have numbers of 'hilarious' threads that are hard to take seriously (Trump, etc. and almost all the threads I start) and I see that as fine, hopefully entertaining and I'd hope that it doesn't really affect the city beyond revealing the nature of its citizens (which I see as highly valuable) but they tend to be rightly in the Off Topic/General Discussion area where expectations are low.

So while poking fun at others can be civil and entertaining dialogue, that rarely happens here. Instead it's incessant attempts at character assassination - if not career assassination when the 'victim' is publicly known. ('Whatever you say or do, WILL be used against you.' - with an added few attacks at one's character or intelligence.} That behaviour and the expectation of others, but not of ourselves, to 'fully flesh' out a statement or opinion or question as if it were some sort of official or legal submission is ludicrous. It's a public forum where people briefly pop in, toss out a comment or question, and then pop out to get on with their lives. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt and consideration that wide ranging statements are going to be made and that not everyone is going to spend an hour or two, or even a minute researching something or other. However, one low expectation that applies to the face-to-face world and should to some degree apply here is some small effort at civil discussion. It's a very, very low hurdle for most people - including the socially inept.
    oh you.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^^^

oh you.
    Now, that's funny. ...and in context and civil in light of the discussion and it's highjacking.

Not sure if it's true, but heard that some of these closed-down schools in the city core would be used to house homeless or provide some temporary housing/sheltering services to the poor and homeless. For example, the one in McCauley. Please correct me if i'm wrong.