Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

As the election draws near, it seems a good time to reflect on the past performances of those you and I elected in 2013.

It is a scary thought, but several of these representatives appear set to be reelected merely because of apathy, indifference or just a perception that there are no outstanding prospects available to replace the incumbants.

Our busy lives are filled with personal distractions that take the mind off last week's or last year's screw-ups. Issues that mattered to me and remain buning at the forefront on my consciousness might have been important to you at the time, too, but since slipped off your radar and likewise.

In recent months, every effort has been made to squelch contentious issues and city crews have been dispatched to tend to attend to matters left neglected for the past 3-1/2 years. All to lull us into considering the possibility that the last term has just been a bad dream and to just go with the easy choice of picking the name you know when you return to the ballot booth this October.

Rather than let the ward representatives succeed in burying the past; let's pull it out, set it up on a pedestal and walk around for a good look at what we endured.

Social Amnesia.

A Silent Crippling Disease. Often, victims are unaware of the onset of symptoms.

Help Us Find A Cure.

Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

I think the biggest blunder most of them made was getting out of bed in the morning.
    If I am in town I will more than likely vote for my incumbent Loken. He seems to stay under the radar and do his job.
    McKeen I find seems to be a bit of a media chaser, hasn't found a camera he does not like. Kinda like the male version of Krushell.
    Iveson, ho-hum. Hopefully he gets the bums rush but with no real opposition he will probably be anointed again.
    Have not taken much notice of the rest. Nobody stands out as a bastion of civic progress.
    I have a sneaking feeling if I seen all those councillors in one place I would have a hard time keeping my middle finger down.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Ok. That was a start. A bit more vague than I had in mind.

Here's an easy and recent specific blunder for an example. A warm-up, if you will.

Rejection of the elevated Bonnie Doon station option for the Valley Line LRT extension.

What about Infill ?

As, ahem, fertile a row to hoe, as ever there was.

Why, the rookie Ward 10 councilman who took on the Infill portfolio as a means to make his mark when no one else wanted to touch it with a ten-foot pole was just in the news again this week; flip-flopping once again, this time regarding an infill disaster in Lansdowne.

Speaking of Ward 10 flip-flops.

Let's think back to 2015 and the nightmare in Pleasant View where the councilman signed off on a disastrous plan that any right-minded person could see was destined to fail.

Ah, "Mature Neighborhood Overlay" Versions I & II.

Who knew then that this meant every property within the bounds of the Henday ring road was fair game for whatever a developer dreamed up.

He isn't on council, but it is perversely ironic to see Louis Pereira, of all people, complaining about how MNO II is due to impact Old Glenora.

Mr Pereira, is of course the party responsible for the development of "LG House" built at 10531 - 133rd St. Take a look at it on Google Earth - hard to miss. Built on a 25' section sub-divided from an adjacent lot in the days before the Infill gloves came off. Totally ECLIPSED sunlight that previously shone on the small bungalow owned by the elderly couple immediately north of him.

Ho-hum, just another collateral damage infill story.

Edit: 10531 - 133rd St. (not 135th St as originally posted)
    Last edited by mseaver; 20-09-2017 at 12:10 PM.

More please.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

iVision was quoted thus:
    "Something obviously went very wrong. ... Nothing’s ever going to be 100 per cent accurate. You have to take some risks."

... rather “than putting a head on a stake,” he looks at this as a learning opportunity.

Cebryk, The Entertainer was quoted as follows:
    “Our goal was to get the system up as quickly as possible but we ran into a number of challenges that were unforeseen.”

Asked if photo enforcement has been stepped up to help pay for the overruns, Cebryk said “any changes in enforcement levels have been strictly tied to us trying to make the citizens safer on the road system.”

Mike Nickel:
    it looks to him like “the buck’s being passed.”

Remember, too.

As reported above, the City wizards took Photo Enforcement in-house after finding that crooked cops had been accepting bribes from the City's designated (American) photo radar contractor.

Previous council, but some familiar faces.

Who's iVision and Cebryk?

Any more stories or concerns, mseaver?

Enough of my reminiscences for now.

What about your favorites, GW?

It'd have to be their relaxation on the transit strategy and not push more express bus services and bus-only-lanes with integration of old and new LRT lines, a more robust and intense MNO up-zoning program, focusing on malls and station areas (not only the corridor strategy being discussed currently), and stronger zoning and area development regulations and policies concerning suburban development in relation to collector and arterial roads, commercial development and orientation.

Their insistence that we need more bike lanes in all the wrong places.
    When bikes were first invented back in the day the combustion engine was not in vehicles. Fast forward we have become creatures of comfort and we don't want to give up our vehicles or roads for antiquated forms of transportation. Now I agree that cities should encourage people who drive to use public transport but that should also include people who ride bicycles. Instead of dedicating bike lanes for the four people per day that use them just encourage them to leave their bikes at home and take public transport, especially during rush hour traffic. Then again, the people who ride bikes probably have the same beefs as the people who like to drive their cars. That is the public transportation system in not up to par. The hipsters in city hall are just blinded with their 'new age' visions.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    It'd have to be their relaxation on the transit strategy and not push more express bus services and bus-only-lanes with integration of old and new LRT lines, a more robust and intense MNO up-zoning program, focusing on malls and station areas (not only the corridor strategy being discussed currently), and stronger zoning and area development regulations and policies concerning suburban development in relation to collector and arterial roads, commercial development and orientation.
    Ok, there's a start. Just don't beat around the bush so much.

Did YOUR council member drop the ball in some way in these issues? Or did they acquit his/herself to your satisfaction?

They dropped the ball on the municipal airport redevelopment file.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Here is a gimme for the cyclists out there.

Council's 2015 decision to put up a Jumper Fence on the High Level Bridge.

Or rather, the barrier they approved for the purpose, with its poorly executed encroachments into the existing pathway.

Wasn't Councillor Esslinger on point for this one ?

My response I'd call them a blunder for my and the next generation of Edmontonians.

Bridge suicide barriers narrow Edmonton's busiest bike corridor
    By Elise Stolte
    Edmonton Journal 2016.06.16

“I completely understand the concerns,” said Mayor Don Iveson, who said after trying it once, he’s no longer willing to ride on the east side.

Water under a Troubled Bridge, oh wait............

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Water under a Troubled Bridge, oh wait............
    Finally ! Someone mentions bridges ...

I hear the new Walterdale bridge may be opening soon. Bet there is a push on the contractors to make it passable before the Oct 16 Election.

Oh, original date it was due to open? Wasn't that set first for 2015? What's 2-1/2 years between elected & electorate?

Anyone care to guess how costs are due to shake out?

Way back when, the previous council chose the current arch design over a more conventional girder layout. Form over function, to the tune of an estimated $132 million - a 50% premium above the estimated cost of the girder design. But $132M was the estimate; when the actual bids came in, the lowest one submitted was for $155M. 14% above the 50% premium for the girder.

Read about all that for yourself:
    Walterdale Bridge
    Step by step: How the bridge is being built

By Alicja Siekierska
    Edmonton Journal 2013.11.02

Yeah I'd turf the whole council over 1 bridge that contractors are delaying and getting charged for.

Ohhh, if only there was just ONE bridge we were talking about here.

Hey, how about what has been going on down at the Terwillegar Off-Leash park.

The contractor for the parking lot extension sure milked THAT project.

I lost track of how many months they spent pushing dirt back and forth, back and forth. There is NO way the private sector would have been duped into accepting such a lengthy schedule for such a simple project.

Rumour is that the Single Trackers are displeased with changes to the trail network.

The pedestrian bridge across the river is a monument to, well, something. "Other people's money", I suppose ...

So who will do any better on council?

Nah, nah, nah ! That's a topic for a different thread.

This one is about revisiting sins of the past.

As already evidenced by the lack of responses, along with the weak and imprecise nature of such response as has been posted, people have forgotten that which they were outraged by and posted hotly about here on C2E not so long ago.

Society gets the kind of government it deserves.

loken blew up on his Facebook a few months back.. he was calling people idiots and morons. He was telling his followers to stfu up about photo radar.. he ended up deleting all of his msgs shortly after everyone came down on him.

Is there a "Way Back" app for that.

My cracker has crumbled once or twice. I'd like to compare notes with how Loken's did.

Personally I don't forget the transgressions of those in office. Sohi ultimately voted for a public funded arena when in his two prior campaigns he defiantly proclaimed that he could never accept a funded arena and would do everything to oppose it.

So that a candidate that ran on campaigns of community based initiatives FOR Millwoods inevitably succumbed to not only voting for, but being a cheerleader for the arena funding. I never let him forget it. Never voted for him either.

I prefer use of ABS, Anybody But Sohi.

But I fail to see the point of the present thread and so didn't respond to it until now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-09-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

We had years of demanding a take no risk leadership approach to running the City as we tried to cope with the aftermath of the 1970s boom. Poor Bill Smith had his hands tied behind his back by voters and the anti-tax media.

I can see that attitude creeping back into the public mindset. Basically, we want diversification, we want infrastructure improvements, we want a lot of things - but when the economy slows we adopt a very hostile approach to city councillors, MLAs, etc. for any failures. Slap anyone's wrist when they try to do anything at all unconventional and you quickly get a "no one move and no one gets hurt" result. Here come the '90s!!!!

Remember those 1990s; with all the bad publicity City Council received for any little tax increase no matter how small. We demanded that the City run itself on a shoestring budget. We ended up with a legacy of poorly maintained infrastructure that only later non got called ' "an infrastructure deficit" that had to be done away with'. That was only when we saw beyond a shadow of a doubt that the economy was on the upswing big time. Only then did we decide to do away with this "deficit (that a few outcasts had long argued was hurting our future). Only when the price of doing away with this infrastructure deficit had doubled or trebled did we think it safe to change course and open the spending and borrowing taps. That was basically coincidental with oil prices moving up and up and our view of the city's potential suddenly went from melancholy to exciting. Only then did we decide it was time for a Mandel, smart debt, etc. - saying Smith had had no vision or some such nonsense.

That said, few people have a "buy low, sell high" mindset. Instead, they only see what everyone else tells them to see. A low price means something isn't worth much. A high and rising price means that 'it must be good'. Loosely this concept can be applied to the Edmonton of the 1980s and 90s, and it is coming back fast. A low price? It can't be very good. That attitude towards all things Edmonton can return. Good old "Deadmonton".

So the focus here isn't just coincidentally a focus on the things the City Council has done poorly - and this thread wasn't to praise Council for the things they did well. We've had a Council that has done things, actually done things, and in doing so has made some mistakes along the way. We could soon have a Council that thinks to itself: 'we're not going to make the mistakes of the past, of the last council, as they got turfed for their errors. This city doesn't have much potential )it's obvious because the price appears low, right) so we're going to be hyper vigilant on every dollar spent and every task performed - basically no one move, until all conceivable negative possibilities have been fleshed out - so no one, meaning is, gets hurt - like the last guys in these seats.'

Time for a Glaser quote (seems to copy in all wonky so best to go to the link);

"PrOFessiOnaLisM is nOT enOUgh or The gOOd is The eneMY OF The greaT. early in my career i wanted to be professional, that was my complete aspiration in
    my early life because professionals seemed to know everything - not to mention they got paid for it. Later i discovered after working for a while that professionalism itself was a limitation. after all, what professionalism means in most cases is diminishing risks. so if you want to get your car fixed you go to a mechanic who knows how to deal with transmission problems in the same way each time. i suppose if you needed brain surgery you wouldn’t want the doctor to fool around and invent a new way of connecting your nerve endings. Please do it in the way that has worked in the past. Unfortunately in our field, in the so-called creative – i hate that word because it is misused so often. i also hate the fact that it is used as a noun. Can you imagine calling someone a creative?
    anyhow, when you are doing something in a recurring way to diminish risk or doing it in the same way as you have done it before, it is clear why professionalism is not enough. after all, what is required in our eld, more than anything else, is the continuous transgression. Professionalism does not allow for
    that because transgression has to encompass the possibility of failure and if you are professional your instinct is not to fail, it is to repeat success. so professionalism as a lifetime aspiration is a limited goal."

https://www.miltonglaser.com/files/E...hings-8400.pdf
    Last edited by KC; 17-09-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

i'm not sure the electorate is frustrated by new infrastructure - or even the resulting tax increases - per se even when there are delivery issues.

i think the electorate gets frustrated when it is seeing both of the above and still isn't seeing any improvement in the maintenance and repair of existing infrastructure. it's not thinking about the walterdale bridge so much as it's thinking about the walterdale bridge while looking at the low level bridge. it's not the new dog park downtown, it's thinking about the new dog park walking past tree grates with nothing but weeds growing them or medians with 3' weeds growing out of the concrete. it's looking at the sod in the new public utility lot connector knowing that in two years later it will be a stretch of dandelions.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Dandilions are municipalities all over showing they care about the environment.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    please feel free to substitute "thistles" for dandelions if it makes my point easier for you understand.

besides, the dandelions don't really show municipalities care about the environment, it shows they aren't prepared to do enough watering and cutting and sod maintenance to keep them to a minimum instead of allowing them to take over.
    Last edited by kcantor; 17-09-2017 at 09:54 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I think kcantor is hitting a key issue on the head. It is not this council that hasn't looked at new ideas and even supported them, but it is the execution of said ideas that is the key lament.

Bike lanes, LRT, bridges, etc...all execution issues.

So, I guess the question is...how are you holding your councillor (and administration) to account for these execution issues? The answer is...you're not. Can you? ...that's the real question. Are there real mechanisms in place to do so?

So, instead of just starting a gripe list, and everyone knows you can grip about things...how can we enforce accountability outside a 4 year vote cycle?
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    please feel free to substitute "thistles" for dandelions if it makes my point easier for you understand.

besides, the dandelions don't really show municipalities care about the environment, it shows they aren't prepared to do enough watering and cutting and sod maintenance to keep them to a minimum instead of allowing them to take over.

All that would be caring too much!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I think kcantor is hitting a key issue on the head. It is not this council that hasn't looked at new ideas and even supported them, but it is the execution of said ideas that is the key lament.

So, I guess the question is...how are you holding your councillor (and administration) to account for these execution issues? The answer is...you're not. Can you? ...that's the real question. Are there real mechanisms in place to do so?

So, instead of just starting a gripe list, and everyone knows you can grip about things...how can we enforce accountability outside a 4 year vote cycle?
    that's only part of it RichardS...

it's the continuing to accumulate infrastructure debt at the same time as the new projects are being undertaken that is the biggest frustration.

it would be easier to accept that sometimes $%^& happens when it comes to executing new things if $%^& wasn't continuing to happen on regular standard everyday things where it shouldn't.

it's that everyday $%^& that brings the level of expertise and accountability in to question, not necessarily the new stuff.

It seems to me we pay way more taxes then we ever did but we get less service. At one time you could phone any city department and resolve issues. Now you have to go through this 3rd party 311 number and hope your concern gets to the right party. You could phone the utility company and they would send someone out. Now you have to phone your own plumber/electrician on your own dime. You go on line to fill out police reports and more than likely never see a cop at your door if you've been robbed. There are all kinds of scenarios where the city have absconded on what was once their responsibility but is now in the hands of it's citizens. Or the C of E forever putting fees or bogus charges on it's services. It's another form of taxation but they try to morph it into some other money grab. It's still money taken out of the taxpayers pocked not matter how they word it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

To me a large part of the problem is COE hegemony and an institution that is rotten to the core. So that no matter who we vote in office they are subject to the advice, the submissions, the reports, studies and background of the admin and management core.

So what does one do about that?

Notwithstanding that there has been several changes in management but with this being more indicative of a deep seated problem.

More of a concern is COE is just a microcosm of where the world is headed and into unclear, and vested interest priorities. So that a City of Edmonton doesn't just run a city it traps itself into a mire of studying everything endlessly. Drilling itself into myopic pits on issues, agendas, initiatives that could arguably fall easily outside of a cities domain.

So that we have a city perpetually ending homelessness, using libraries as drop ins, funding pro arena, all kinds of ineffective cycling initiatives, uber recycling initiatives, green everything, end pollution, end poverty, end unemployment, end divisiveness, end discord...

Its OK to just run a city and be focused more on typical agenda of a civic admin.
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^...........and instead of just administering the city it's a 'we are going to save the world' approach. That kind of mind think is what takes money from the bread and butter issues the city should be fixing. Not to mention the time wasted trying to look like super hero's. Case in point. EPS was musing (at least I hope it was just musing) at some point to open a Terrorist Bureau. WTF. What is the RCMP there for. Does the C of E warrant a Terrorist Bureau. How many times have we heard the powers that be re-assure us that Edmonton is a safe city. Then they start acting like we are a hotbed for terrorism. Not to mention the fact the media was full of welcoming Syrian refugees and other displaced middle easterners. What's the slogan, 'Welcome Refugees to Edmonton, We are a safe city, By the way we have a Terrorist Bureau'. Talk about mixed messages. C of E foot in mouth right there. Like closing all the liquor stores because we have a AA convention in town. Gives out the vibe of we are glad you are here but we don't trust you. EPS should be putting more resources into the drugs and gang wars going on than opening Terrorist Bureaus.
    Last edited by Gemini; 17-09-2017 at 12:50 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by mseaver View Post
    Mr Pereira, is of course the party responsible for the development of "LG House" built at 10531 - 135th St. Take a look at it on Google Earth - hard to miss. Built on a 25' section sub-divided from an adjacent lot in the days before the Infill gloves came off. Totally ECLIPSED sunlight that previously shone on the small bungalow owned by the elderly couple immediately north of him.

Hard to miss? Street view dates back to 2014 and shows a flat-roof bungalow: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54889...7i13312!8i6656
    As does the overhead view: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54889.../data=!3m1!1e3

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Mr Pereira, is of course the party responsible for the development of "LG House" built at 10531 - 133rd St. Take a look at it on Google Earth - hard to miss. Built on a 25' section sub-divided from an adjacent lot in the days before the Infill gloves came off. Totally ECLIPSED sunlight that previously shone on the small bungalow owned by the elderly couple immediately north of him.

Hard to miss? Street view dates back to 2014 and shows a flat-roof bungalow: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54889...7i13312!8i6656
    As does the overhead view: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54889.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Thank you for pointing out the error I made. Join the fight against dyslexia. Give generously.

The correct address is 10531 - 133rd St. NW (not 135th St as originally posted)

Here is a Satellite View of LG House, the skinny home Mr Pereira built.

Here is a Street View link showing LG House (10531 - 133rd St. NW.) and the bungalow to the north (left of LGH).

For full appreciation when viewing these images from the comfort of your desk, it is important to study a) the height of the building, b) the unbroken continuity from front sidewalk to back alley of the building's north wall, c) the shadow the building casts over the neighboring lot to the north.

What is difficult to appreciate without actually being at the site is how CLOSE Pereira's building is to the neighboring house.

LG House is a monsterous two story w/ a flat roof built on a miniscule 25' lot. It was dropped like a bomb into the midst of a Glenora city block occupied by modest bungalows w/ pitched roofs on relatively large lots.

This development was approved long before the revsions for the Mature Neighborhood Overlay. Back then, Mr Pereira had to make his pitch to the Development Office a couple of times. With the changes council has heartily endorsed in the interval, buildings like this are springing up like noxious weeds throughout the city.
    Last edited by mseaver; 20-09-2017 at 12:08 PM.

How did that house happen? It doesn't look like there's another half lot there, was is severed from an 80' lot or something?

Nothing wrong with 2-story houses or flat roofs, but the continuous building shading and overlooking the neighbour's back yard is something that shouldn't be allowed.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    How did that house happen? It doesn't look like there's another half lot there, was is severed from an 80' lot or something?

Nothing wrong with 2-story houses or flat roofs, but the continuous building shading and overlooking the neighbour's back yard is something that shouldn't be allowed.
    Of course that stuff SHOULDN'T be allowed, but the reality is that development officers sign off all the time. Implementation of the Mature Neighborhood Overlay just cut away any remaining pretense that developers were expected to conform or that existing neighbors had any say in what gets built adjacent to them.

In the case of LG House, it was built on a 25' parcel subdivided from the lot south of it. Apparently, there was an existing structure on the segment which was an outbuilding (a chicken coop).

Following its construction back in 2010, LG House and its builder were fêted by a certain group of hipsters & fashionistas to whom the project had appeal. There are several on-line sites with photos and content about the project. When viewing any of those sites, take note of the idealized photo compositions used to present the front of the home. These carefully obscure the physical relationship between LG House and the property next to the north. Never let style be trumped by hardship inflicted on others.

A sampling

Anyway. Water under the bridge.

Going back to Post #7, the point in dragging out LG House was to draw attention to the hypocrisy of Periera complaining about aspects of MNO II

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Personally I don't forget the transgressions of those in office. Sohi ultimately voted for a public funded arena when in his two prior campaigns he defiantly proclaimed that he could never accept a funded arena and would do everything to oppose it.

So that a candidate that ran on campaigns of community based initiatives FOR Millwoods inevitably succumbed to not only voting for, but being a cheerleader for the arena funding. I never let him forget it. Never voted for him either.

I prefer use of ABS, Anybody But Sohi.

But I fail to see the point of the present thread and so didn't respond to it until now.
    "But I fail to see the point of the present thread"

The initial post is self-explanatory. To put this in another context, council and the mayor are up for a performance review.

You and I represent members on the Board of Directors, preparing to decide whether to renew the contracts of the CEO and assorted senior executives in charge of a multi-billion dollar organization. We can be sure that when the CEO and the senior executives stand before us on the carpet that they will embellish anything remotely in their favour and conceal all that reflects poorly on their performance during the past term.

These moments before they stand before us are an opportunity to look back with a critical eye.

That Replacement doesn't forget trangressions of those in office is good. Too many others never paid attention in the moment, or were indifferent or maybe have suffer Social Amnesia.

Replacement's example of Sohi's flip-flop would be a great one. If it were relevant - Sohi is long gone. Does this mean Replacement feels no blunders occured during this past term?

Of course that stuff SHOULDN'T be allowed, but the reality is that development officers sign off all the time. Implementation of the Mature Neighborhood Overlay just cut away any remaining pretense that developers were expected to conform or that existing neighbors had any say in what gets built adjacent to them.
    That house wouldn't be allowed to go all the way to the back of the lot under the current rules either. Development officers ignoring the rules are the problem, not the MNO rules themselves. The rules need to be reasonably permissive, but they need to be enforced consistently. Exceptions for unique circumstances should be very rare and should go through SDAB.

Will you be creating a thread about "Biggest Successes By Your Councilman" as part of this "performance review"?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Will you be creating a thread about "Biggest Successes By Your Councilman" as part of this "performance review"?
    As I wrote earlier, this would be redundant.

The candidates and their acolytes can be counted on to promote anything they even remotely had something to do with that might be perceived as a 'Win'. Not to mention taking credit for and shifting optics on much that they didn't.

Nothing to prevent you or other apologists from starting such a feel good "let's all put our heads in the sand while we hold hands and try to sing Kum ba ya with grit in our mouths" thread, however.

So this is just for b!tching... Then call it for what it is - it's not a "performance review."

So this is just for b!tching... Then call it for what it is - it's not a "performance review."
    Yeah, this thread should be titled something obvious like "Biggest Blunders" & not "Performance Review"....
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

It's mseaver's spin of it as a "performance review" (his/her words) to justify his/her intent on only slagging councillors that is disengenuous.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I think most of the C2E membership is well-informed enough about the city's issues from the past 4 years that regurgitating it all for the benefit of a narcissistic attention-starved anti-cyclist crusader is rather redundant.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's mseaver's spin of it as a "performance review" (his/her words) to justify his/her intent on only slagging councillors that is disengenuous.
    The first occurrence of "performance review" in this thread is in post 47 where he's speaking to the election as a performance review, not this thread. Which is a fairly accurate way of looking at what an election is.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I think most of the C2E membership is well-informed enough about the city's issues from the past 4 years ...
    Are they? Well then, this thread serves to indicate that, by and large, C2Eers are well pleased with council & hizzhonour's performance this term.

Mission Accomplished?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    that regurgitating it all for the benefit of a narcissistic attention-starved anti-cyclist crusader is rather redundant.
    "... narcissistic attention starved ..."

ahem.

Current Post Count:
    • Sonic Death Monkey: 30,029
    • mseaver: 132

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    ... anti-cyclist crusader ...
    Anyone that thinks this, hasn't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    The first occurrence of "performance review" in this thread is in post 47 where he's speaking to the election as a performance review, not this thread. Which is a fairly accurate way of looking at what an election is.
    It's also how he justifies this b!tching session as something worth doing, rather than just to hear himself complain.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    It's also how he justifies this b!tching session as something worth doing, rather than just to hear himself complain.
    Err.

The justification for the thread appears in Post #1.

Biggest Blunders By Your Councilman During the Past Four Years.

I think the biggest blunder most of them made was getting out of bed in the morning.
    If I am in town I will more than likely vote for my incumbent Loken. He seems to stay under the radar and do his job.
    McKeen I find seems to be a bit of a media chaser, hasn't found a camera he does not like. Kinda like the male version of Krushell.
    Iveson, ho-hum. Hopefully he gets the bums rush but with no real opposition he will probably be anointed again.
    Have not taken much notice of the rest. Nobody stands out as a bastion of civic progress.
    I have a sneaking feeling if I seen all those councillors in one place I would have a hard time keeping my middle finger down.
    I dont need to elaborate, I'll just say, what Gemini said is right! ! Mckeen, if we still lived in Edmonton would not get my vote. Just like Don wouldnt.

What would be the point?. Biggest Successes, get real.

What would be the point?. Biggest Successes, get real.
    His point, as in most of his posts is to deride other posters. With this being formulaic refrain by now.

Here's a blunder I and others failed to mention so far: Council's rush to be the first Canadian municipality to embrace Uber back in January of 2016.

Since council approved a by-law permitting ride-sharing companies to operate there have been a succession of scandals revealing MANY unsavory aspects about Uber, its executives, its culture, its business model and other facets of THAT organization.

In the news today, London in the UK announces it is stripping Uber of its license effective Sept 30.

Edit: Scandals, not scandels.
    Last edited by mseaver; 23-09-2017 at 09:28 AM.

C2E SME

And none of those "scandels" have anything to do with Edmonton. As far as I can tell, virtually no one under 40 in Edmonton uses anything other than Uber these days. I'm pretty much the only one who still calls/hails a cab among my friends, because I live downtown and they're easy to find.

But yeah, Uber was being run by a bunch of jerks. No question. That has what to do with Edmonton city council?

Here's a blunder I and others failed to mention so far: Council's rush to be the first Canadian municipality to embrace Uber back in January of 2016.

Since council approved a by-law permitting ride-sharing companies to operate there have been a succession of scandels revealing MANY unsavory aspects about Uber, its executives, its culture, its business model and other facets of THAT organization.

In the news today, London in the UK announces it is stripping Uber of its license effective Sept 30.
    I've mentioned it on the board plenty. For similar reasons. I thought it was an incredible waste of time for City council to spend so much time deliberating and trying to find workable arrangements for Uber. While telling taxi drivers to grow up and act like real Canadians.. A low point in City council engaged in by Bev Esslinger and Linda Cochrane, City manager. Shame on them indeed.

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/c...this-afternoon

I was disgusted with the behavior of city council and said so here repeatedly in the uber thread.

Uber has been nonstop scandalous since its inception. They can't stop being in the news for bad reasons. But they got all the support of this forward thinking (sarcasm) city council.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    those "scandels"
    Thank you. Scandals.

C2E SME

I'll say one thing: Some of the candidates running in Ward 5 are stupid!

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...d-will-be-lost
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Another blunder by council last term - failure to ensure enforcement of and compliance with the Motorcycle Noise bylaw.

Since council approved a by-law permitting ride-sharing companies to operate there have been a succession of scandals revealing MANY unsavory aspects about Uber, its executives, its culture, its business model and other facets of THAT organization.

Meanwhile, in Quebec City

Mayor Denis Coderre's response to petulant Uber's threat to exit Quebec: “bye-bye. I don’t care”.

In THAT city, their mayor and council didn't fawn all over the ride-sharing service, throw caution to the wind and rush to embrace what has proven to be a rogue enterprise.

Mseaver, what other opinions do you have of Uber as a service?

Then there's council's turnover of Drainage to EPCOR earlier this year.

In the short thread about this deal at the time, the matter was waived off as: "mere creative accounting, EPCOR is owned by the City".

What contributors failed to consider in the Drainage Deal thread is the long game.

Edmonton City Council is grooming EPCOR for an eventual sale to private interests. Dress the utility up nicely with a pretty bow, then take it to market.
    Last edited by mseaver; 27-09-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Edmonton City Council is grooming EPCOR for an eventual sale to private interests. Package the utility nicely with a pretty bow, then take it to market.
    What's the benefit to the CoE beyond the one-time infusion of cash, given that EPCOR currently provides an annual dividend equivalent to about ~25% of what the CoE collects in residential property taxes?

Exactly.

Aesop wrote a fable about this.

Although I'm not a resident of the city proper I have been following Edmonton politics for close to 50 years.
    In my opinion, the city administration's handling of day to day issues such as road maintenance, street cleaning, snow plowing, etc has dramatically improved in the last ten years.
    There are still huge problems with capital construction, but compared with the 80's and 90's the city does a much better job now.

Road maintenance for sure has gotten way better over the past 10-15 years, from a time when there were dozens of arterial roads in horrible condition, to now when I've actually caught myself thinking "those curbs were in decent shape, why are they replacing them?" There's still a lot to catch up on in the neighbourhoods but arterials are looking pretty good.

The last disaster I recall was Argyll Road under the tracks, finally fixed just a year or two ago.
    There can only be one.

^^Low taxes in 80's/90's = no services. Yes, agreed, also portfolios better handled, as citizen expectations of services increased.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    There are still huge problems with capital construction, but compared with the 80's and 90's the city does a much better job now.
    The last disaster I recall was Argyll Road under the tracks, finally fixed just a year or two ago.
    You guys crack me up. Much better in the past ten or so years, huh?

Guess you have no memory of the 23rd Ave & Gateway Interchange Project fiasco? $261M instead of $75M. Completed 2011 instead of 2006.

What about the 2008-2011 Quesnel Bridge Rehab? Late by close to a year. Contractors managed to launch a crane over the side of the bridge, too.

Then there was 2016's 53 Ave & Whitemud Overpass Rehab. That one actually finished early and came in on budget - just tied the south west in knots again for months.

Road maintenance for sure has gotten way better over the past 10-15 years ...
    Better? Guess you don't drive through Garneau on either side of 109th st, north of Whyte Ave, huh?

Once upon a time, a long time ago, the City performed routine maintenance on residential streets. This cost some money but greatly prolonged the life of streets. This routine maintenance was budgeted and paid for as part of regular property taxes.

Then, when the City needed to spend money on other projects, like LRT lines and arenas, they diverted money budgeted for maintenance and left the roads to deteriorate.

The roads deteriorated to such a point that the roads could no longer be repaired - instead, they had to be replaced at great expense. To cover these exceptional expenses, the City added special levies ON TOP of the municipal taxes they charged the residential tax payers each year.

Moreover, as the City goes through neighborhoods like King Edward, Queen Alexandra, Belgravia, Lansdowne and others, they do NOT restore or improve the former capacity for traffic, they reduce it - narrowing the width of the roads and adding so-called "traffic calming" islands and boulevard protrusions. Charging this all to residents in the community through the special levies added to their municipal taxes.

Back to the topic of blunders by Council and the Mayor during the past four years.

How about their endorsement of the Naked Bike Ride of 2015? Yep, just what I and my family want to see during a trip to Old Strathcona - naked cyclists.

Could you walk down Whyte Ave naked? Nope !

Drive your vehicle down Whyte Ave without any clothing. Nope !

But HELL ! It is just fine with council for you to strip everything off and flaunt whatever you have or don't have before everyone on the street, as long as a bicycle is involved.

Then there is Council's initial approval of the Urban Hen project in 2015, followed by its approval of expansion of the program for 2016.

This initiative allowed a supposedly select few to raise chickens on residential properties.

Welp, there's a blackmarket in my neighborhood where people raising chickens are offering eggs and meat from the livestock they keep in their backyards.

Better? Guess you don't drive through Garneau on either side of 109th st, north of Whyte Ave, huh?

Once upon a time, a long time ago, the City performed routine maintenance on residential streets. This cost some money but greatly prolonged the life of streets. This routine maintenance was budgeted and paid for as part of regular property taxes.

Then, when the City needed to spend money on other projects, like LRT lines and arenas, they diverted money budgeted for maintenance and left the roads to deteriorate.

The roads deteriorated to such a point that the roads could no longer be repaired - instead, they had to be replaced at great expense. To cover these exceptional expenses, the City added special levies ON TOP of the municipal taxes they charged the residential tax payers each year.

Moreover, as the City goes through neighborhoods like King Edward, Queen Alexandra, Belgravia, Lansdowne and others, they do NOT restore or improve the former capacity for traffic, they reduce it - narrowing the width of the roads and adding so-called "traffic calming" islands and boulevard protrusions. Charging this all to residents in the community through the special levies added to their municipal taxes.
    Neighbourhoods are on slate for renewal and Strathcona is getting ready next year I believe or the year after. Queen Alex is having a great renewal with community input to do more than simply replace infrastructure and to add to it - enhancements. Not sure if you live in these areas, but these are not major thru-roads (106 st and 76 ave), but community roads that lead to arterials and have issues, in some cases, with short cutting and speeds. All residents eventually benefit, once their own neighbourhood is renewed, with citizens paying for it from another community as a collective, as a City.

Guess you have no memory of the 23rd Ave & Gateway Interchange Project fiasco? $261M instead of $75M. Completed 2011 instead of 2006.

What about the 2008-2011 Quesnel Bridge Rehab? Late by close to a year. Contractors managed to launch a crane over the side of the bridge, too.

Then there was 2016's 53 Ave & Whitemud Overpass Rehab. That one actually finished early and came in on budget - just tied the south west in knots again for months.
    Per the past 4 years?

Hey, here's another beauty.

In Ward 10, Councilman Michael Walters voted in favour of granting a rezoning application submitted by a homeowner wanting to operate a dental office in a residential property located in Lansdowne. The application was granted.

On his website, Councilman Walters babbles on in endless justification of his support for the application. In part he talks about "vibrant neighbourhoods and fairness"; "great neighbourhoods neglected"; "the desire to live and shop more locally"; "an essential service within walking distance." Ad infinitum.

But, here's the thing.

Lansdowne HAS a neighborhood strip mall. It used to feature an IGA grocery store, a CIBC bank branch, a pharmacy, dry cleaning outlet, hair salon and so on. These days, the pickings are much more slim. This strip mall can use all the tenents it can get in order to remain a viable entity in the neighborhood.

The rezoning application the Mr Walters heartily endorsed and defended is for a residential property located ONE BLOCK away from the strip mall.

Way to go, Mike !

Per the past 4 years?
    GenWhy, you have been receiving my Millennial Discount, but all good things come to an end.

Highlander II and ralph60 were talking out of scope, I responded in kind.

Keep up !

GenWhy. Since you are on the radar.

Have you got anything insightful to contribute to this thread.

It is a serious question - I spend time in the company of your contemporaries, but they do not see fit to browse/engage in such topics. You do. That interests me. I don't expect you to know about matters that predate you, but I WOULD like to hear how you feel about things that are important to YOU.

Are you eligible to vote on 10/16. What did YOU dislike about the past term.

The rezoning application the Mr Walters heartily endorsed and defended is for a residential property located ONE BLOCK away from the strip mall.

Way to go, Mike !
    The location of the residence that has since become a dental office is 12204 - 48 Ave NW; immediately north of 48th Ave, between 122nd and 122A St. Google Maps Link.

Councilman Walters' justification for backing the dentist's rezoning application.

The neighborhood strip mall is one block north. These days, the mall features "The Find" a second hand furniture store, a Bissel Centre drop-off site, a financial advisor, pharmacy and a few other services.
    Last edited by mseaver; 28-09-2017 at 01:13 AM.

... but these are not major thru-roads (106 st and 76 ave), but community roads that lead to arterials and have issues, in some cases, with short cutting and speeds. All residents eventually benefit, ...
    If you weren't a Millennial, I'd ask whether you are kidding.

76th and 106th NOT major through-roads ??

ALL residents benefit ??

Those of us whom have been around a bit longer know that 76th IS a major thoroughfare, especially from 104th through to 109th.

What has happened is that instead of recognizing this, planning accordingly and acquiring the, ahem, modest properties that lined the route while they were modest, the city has allowed them to be purchased by people whom have since demonstrated a syndrome familiar to organizations that operate airports when development is allowed to occur adjacent to runways.

OMG ! THE EXTREMELY CHEAP HOUSE I BOUGHT IS LOCATED UNDER A FLIGHT PATH !!!

The new residents along 76th are distraught after the fact to wake up to the realization that they live on a busy street. Now they want the city to make the traffic go away.

So. To appease a few people along two or three blocks, the city is busy hammering a spike into the heart of 76th Ave with the result that thousands will be grievously inconvenienced.

All for the Lesser Good.
    Last edited by mseaver; 28-09-2017 at 12:51 AM.

So. To appease a few people along two or three blocks, the city is busy hammering a spike into the heart of 76th Ave with the result that thousands will be grievously inconvenienced.

All for the Lesser Good.
    • Need some hockey gear or stuff for your bike from United Cycle?
    • Thinking about moving to the next level with Grandmaster Chung at Tiger Taekwondo?
    • Perhaps a connoisseur of Royal's famous pizza?
    • Looking for that certain something from Ibon Antiques to decorate your home?
    • Want to pick up some groceries from Food For Less or SaveOn?
    • Intend to meet friends at The Keg (ect, ect, ect ...)?

Well, with 76th Ave shut down, you are probably going to want to change your plans and head off to some other establishment in another part of the city because businesses in Old Strathcona are going to be damn near impossible to get to for anyone approaching from west of 109th St.

But HEY !

That yoga teacher with her newborn there in Queen Alex is going to be pleased that her bargain lot is no longer on a thoroughfare.
    Last edited by mseaver; 28-09-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Hey, here's another beauty.

In Ward 10, Councilman Michael Walters voted in favour of granting a rezoning application submitted by a homeowner wanting to operate a dental office in a residential property located in Lansdowne. The application was granted.

On his website, Councilman Walters babbles on in endless justification of his support for the application. In part he talks about "vibrant neighbourhoods and fairness"; "great neighbourhoods neglected"; "the desire to live and shop more locally"; "an essential service within walking distance." Ad infinitum.

But, here's the thing.

Lansdowne HAS a neighborhood strip mall. It used to feature an IGA grocery store, a CIBC bank branch, a pharmacy, dry cleaning outlet, hair salon and so on. These days, the pickings are much more slim. This strip mall can use all the tenents it can get in order to remain a viable entity in the neighborhood.

Way to go, Mike !
    I can’t recall City Councillors doing anything over the years to impair the businesses in the strip mall. No traffic calming measures that I can think of. No presence of those perpetual speed traps. No anti-business or biased against retain business licensing or business impeding regulations. No construction. No anything. Anything?

Yet that strip mall seems to have lost most of its business and traditional clientele. I’d say changing grocery store business models contributed to the grocery store departure, but the largest factor would likely be local residents failing to support the local strip mall. Same for the many dying strip malls all over Edmonton.

So it seems odd to knock some councillor for giving a business what it wants and not attempting to force that business to locate, likely at a higher cost, where it’s obvious that locals won’t step up and support it anyway.
    Last edited by KC; 28-09-2017 at 06:38 AM.

All for the Lesser Good.
    • Thinking about moving to the next level with Grandmaster Chung at Tiger Taekwondo?

Well, with 76th Ave shut down, you are probably going to want to change your plans and head off to some other establishment in another part of the city because businesses in Old Strathcona are going to be damn near impossible to get to for anyone approaching from west of 109th St.

But HEY !

That yoga teacher with her newborn there in Queen Alex is going to be pleased that her bargain lot is no longer on a thoroughfare.
    76 ave traffic is well within the range that a two-lane road can handle. There's zero need for additional space for cars. Look at the city's traffic volumes report - volumes peak at about 10,000 for the whole section you're concerned about.

And the actual closure is temporary for reconstruction and will be re-opened as the two lane road that suits traffic volumes. Are you seriously blaming the so-called yoga moms for making the avenue need to be rebuilt? Maybe you should get a pass as an out-of-touch boomer, but that's pretty bad.
    There can only be one.

GenWhy. Since you are on the radar.

Have you got anything insightful to contribute to this thread.

It is a serious question - I spend time in the company of your contemporaries, but they do not see fit to browse/engage in such topics. You do. That interests me. I don't expect you to know about matters that predate you, but I WOULD like to hear how you feel about things that are important to YOU.

Are you eligible to vote on 10/16. What did YOU dislike about the past term.
    For mseaver.

All for the Lesser Good.

But HEY !

so 82 - 76 is 6 blocks. A whole 6 blocks.

All for the Lesser Good.

But HEY !

Renewing roads has been a major contribution and not a blunder by recent past councils, and many neighbourhoods that friends and family live in have benefited greatly, so have I. These are collector roads that have 1 lane of traffic in each direction to feed into arterials outside of the community. The community proposed enhancing one of their largest pieces of public infrastructure that is adjacent to I think 6 schools, within the scope of the project listed here.

The real "blunder" was that my parents in the Bonnie Doon area tried for some great changes that were outside the scope of renewal, which would have made the community much better off, the City would not go beyond their work, for various reasons. I know the same issues will occur in my 50s/60s neighbourhood where roads are far too wide and we lack boulevard trees and poor infrastructure adjacent to school sites on busy roads. There is more community consultation now, but lots of opportunities were missed. Crossroads is a great example of making roads in a community about that community.

... but these are not major thru-roads (106 st and 76 ave), but community roads that lead to arterials and have issues, in some cases, with short cutting and speeds. All residents eventually benefit, ...
    If you weren't a Millennial, I'd ask whether you are kidding.

76th and 106th NOT major through-roads ??

ALL residents benefit ??

Those of us whom have been around a bit longer know that 76th IS a major thoroughfare, especially from 104th through to 109th.

What has happened is that instead of recognizing this, planning accordingly and acquiring the, ahem, modest properties that lined the route while they were modest, the city has allowed them to be purchased by people whom have since demonstrated a syndrome familiar to organizations that operate airports when development is allowed to occur adjacent to runways.

OMG ! THE EXTREMELY CHEAP HOUSE I BOUGHT IS LOCATED UNDER A FLIGHT PATH !!!

The new residents along 76th are distraught after the fact to wake up to the realization that they live on a busy street. Now they want the city to make the traffic go away.

All for the Lesser Good.

76 Ave is a collector road with 1 lane of traffic in each direction. The community is designed in a grid pattern allowing many options of entry and exit through and to the community. The road is not being drastically altered in any way or narrowed, and traffic volumes should remain steady, and will most likely increase over time as more infill is brought on-line in the area.

Here's a by-product of the 106 St and 76 Ave Crossroads renewal project and community initiative: https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco...rovements.aspx

A blunder? That the Corner Store Pilot Program isn't stronger.

I'm trying to understand what kind of timelines you're talking about? 50 years? Because in the past 5-10 years that's absolutely not how the city works. Road preventative maintenance in the form of micro resurfacing has increased tremendously.

Also, our suburbs have grown by 50% over the past 15 years. So do then service requirements like police, rec centres, fire stations, roads, overpasses, etc. Gotta be paid for somehow.

The arena has nothing to do with the size or scope of the road/infrastructure budget.
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 28-09-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    www.decl.org

our suburbs have grown by 50% over the past 15 years
    source? and even if your statement is correct, which it very well might be, the city has also grown in population by the same amount.

2001 657,350 Statistics Canada
    2016 899,447 Municipal census

so if it's got to be paid somehow, its going to be paid by all the new population. Infill and downtown condos would never be able to keep up with that demand, and people prefer suburbs 5:1 over condos or infill.
    Last edited by Medwards; 28-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.

^Correct, paid by residential, industrial or commercial taxes of both suburbs and core. As per that Council report from a while back, there will be a deficit in how new suburbs are paid for. Not just one time capital costs, but lifecycle costs. It's not a one vs another, it's a conversation about how it gets paid for.
    www.decl.org

Who's gonna pay for the lifecycle costs of the stuff going up in the CRL zone, since the additional tax revenues are directed towards servicing debt rather than servicing taxpayers?

I'm lost to what we are talking about here. Are we complaining about the suburbs again, or am I missing the point of the discussion?

I think the point is that complaining about a 50% increase in infrastructure budgets doesn't make sense when the city has grown by 50%.
    There can only be one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast