Thread: No incumbent, few running?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default No incumbent, few running?

I'm really surprised that there are so few (5) people running in Ward 9 without an incumbent to try to unseat.

There are 12 people running in Ward 4, and 9 running in Ward 5. Why is there such a lack of interest in Ward 9? Is there one candidate that is already favoured to win?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Is there one candidate that is already favoured to win?
    Yes, Bryan Anderson.

Pity - he announced back in March that he had no intention to run again.

After ticking his name on the ballot six times in nineteen years, one expects that Ward 9 constituents (at least those who actually get out and vote) will be at loose ends in the booth when they discover his name missing.

Lest there be any mistake about the tone of the previous post, Bryan Anderson was a Ward 9 constituent's dream councilman.

Good luck to whomever dares try fill his shoes.

If the winner was selected by amount of signs in the area, it would be http://www.parseyan.ca/. He seems to have 4 signs up for every other candidates 1 sign combined.

Quote Originally Posted by mseaver View Post
    Lest there be any mistake about the tone of the previous post, Bryan Anderson was a Ward 9 constituent's dream councilman.

Good luck to whomever dares try fill his shoes.
    Bryan Anderson was amazing to deal with. There was one time I reached out to him and his assistant responded immediately and within 30 seconds he was also responding.

He was easily accessible from my experience and always diligent with responses.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm just surprised that with that much notice of an incumbent not running, it's hardly generated any interest from others seeking to fill the seat. Usually we see 10+ people running for an empty seat.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Roads in Ward 9 are billiard-table smooth. In recent years along substantial portions of Rabbit Hill Road and 23rd Ave, paving crews first laid new asphalt and then soon after repaved their handiwork - stretches that didn't need paving in the first place.

As a jealous non-Ward 9 constituent who frequently transits the region, I complained to 311 more than once about how snow removal crews had taken Ward 9 streets down to pavement when other Wards were drift/rut-bound.

Year after year, that sector of the city received special treatment. If I'm not mistaken, the Puppet Master, Mandel, lives/lived in W9. During his reign I attributed part of the Ward favoritism to Mandel's munificence and self-interest. However, it continued after he left office.

The astonishing growth of Ward 9 in the past six years changes the complexion of the cultural, economic demographics of the region, IMO.

Edit: to "when other Wards" from "when most other Wards"
    Last edited by mseaver; 22-09-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mseaver View Post
    The astonishing growth of Ward 9 in the past six years changes the complexion of the cultural, economic demographics of the region, IMO.
    If there is a blemish on the record of Mr Anderson in the minds of newcomers to the Ward, it is that this growth was not able to be accomodated anywhere near adequately in the context of providing nearby classrooms for their children.

Something I don't think Mr Anderson bears personal responsibility for as Councilman for the region.

Mandel lives in Laurier Heights doesn't he? not in ward 9.

Isn't Mandel Ward 1?
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Full credit to Mr Anderson, then.

Damn, wish he'd been my councilman ...