Thread: City of Edmonton Office of Traffic Safety

Default City of Edmonton Office of Traffic Safety

Interesting challenges (see below).

Ending trauma at the heart of Vision Zero traffic plan | Edmonton Journal

“Everyone has a shared responsibility on roadways, Shimko said. Any area where pedestrians and vehicles are likely to interact should have a maximum of 30 km/h, while potential impacts between two vehicles at a right angle should be reduced to 50 km/h. Any areas with a risk of head-on collisions should be limited to 70 km/h.

“If we have the right speed and the right infrastructure, we’re not going to see the types of serious injuries that would require hospitalizations or the more serious fatalities,” he said.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...tal-collisions
    Bolding was mine

We all know that speed kills so even reductions of speed limits is just a poor compromise to reduce the numbers but deaths and severe injuries can still occur at the desired lower limits.

I’d say that if they really want to be effective they should immediately ban the development of contiguous road-curb-sidewalk infrastructure where there is no barrier between the road and sidewalk or require treed boulevards.

For existing such risks I’d say that a lot could be done during neighbourhood renewal. When they did our neighbourhood the left the sidewalks next to the road and didn’t move the sidewalk and add boulevards. Maybe they should come back and correct that error in design, or add bollards in such neighbourhoods. Downtown the removal of parking meters may be going in the wrong direction. However again heavy duty bollards could be installed along all the roads to reduce risks. Poles or bollards should be placed up stream of all bus stops starting with those here groups of people assemble such as at schools where large numbers of kids stand next to the road waiting for their busses or getting off buses.

And there’s always the option of finally doing something about my personal pet peeve; of people being allowed to drive around with all kinds of vision impairing crap and things like poorly designed parking passes and handicap placards hanging from their rear view mirrors into needed lines of sight. (i.e. What kind of ***** would issue a handicap pass that hangs down into people’s lines of sight? I know that they are not allowed to leave them there when driving, but many do so, even in low roofline vehicles.)
    Last edited by KC; 15-10-2017 at 11:40 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Might as well just call for a complete ban on driving at this point.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup Lobb, you'll reduce the death and injuries to 0. I think this is precisely what the Transportation Department wants.

put more photo radar behind trees and on bridges, that will solve it!

About the Traffic Safety Section
    Main page content begins here
    Traffic safety is important to Edmonton's citizens and a major priority for the City. A safe transportation system contributes to a strong sense of community and the livability of our city.

The City’s Traffic Safety section makes Edmonton’s roads and communities safer through education, engineering, and evaluation.

Traffic Safety delivers programs to:

Cut collisions, especially ones that involve injury

Reduce speeding

Deter risky driver behaviour at intersections, like speeding or running red lights

Reduce impaired driving

Increase seat belt use

Involve Edmontonians in traffic safety initiatives in their community

Evaluate traffic data to support effective management and enforcement of local traffic

Key partners include the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues and the Edmonton Police Service.

Evidence Based
    Traffic Safety operates on an evidence-based approach. Its emphasis is on ....

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ic-safety.aspx

About Vision Zero

Vision Zero Edmonton

In 2006, there were 8,246 people injured and killed in collisions on Edmonton streets. The City responded by creating the first municipal Office of Traffic Safety in North America that year. In spite of the population growth since then, in 2016 there were 3,396 people injured or killed, a decrease of 58.8%.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...sion-zero.aspx

I'm not sure if foot traffic is within their scope but this Toronto article is interesting:

Improve sidewalk safety in winter to prevent injury, limit liability, city told
    30K ER visits due to slips, falls in past decade, staff report says

CBC News Posted: Nov 21, 2016

"We did an analysis and looked at what was happening in the last decade, and what we observed, much to our surprise, is that there were 30,000 visits to the emergency room as a result of slips and falls on snow or ice," Campbell, co-author of the report, told Metro Morning on Monday.

"Furthermore, the more serious kinds of falls and injuries resulted in about 2,800 hospital admissions, with an average stay of about six days. So it's quite a serious health issue when people fall on snow and ice."

The report, which looked at wintertime slips and falls from 2006 to 2015, calls on the city to increase awareness of the bylaw that requires owners and occupants to shovel sidewalks next to their properties within 12 hours after a snowfall.

It also urges the city to draw more attention to the free manual sidewalk snow clearing service offered by the city to seniors and people with disabilities who cannot shovel and who register with the city.

And it recommends that the city improve sidewalk safety by changing what it calls the "snowfall threshold" for mechanical sidewalk clearing to two centimetres of snow in all areas where the service is available.

Campbell said in many areas of North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough, snow is mechanically cleared after eight centimetres of snowfall between December and March. She said in the old city of Toronto, York and East York, many main routes are mechanically cleared but sidewalks on local roads are not. ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...lity-1.3860482
    bolding was mine
    Last edited by KC; 23-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.