Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brighton Block Redevelopment - Under Construction

Are any of the bricks salvageable and if so, do you have plans for them?

If they can be recycled, I'm sure it would be used for the new portion of the add on. It serves both savings and authenticity would be my guess.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^ ^^

there are much fewer salvageable bricks than initially hoped for simply due to damage during demolition but none was ever planned for use on the exterior of the additional floors (they're too old to retain either their structural or water-shedding integrity).

we will try to stockpile as many of the ones that are reasonably sound so that tenants can make use of them for interior feature walls in boardrooms or reception areas etc. it's a pure design/emotional/authenticity decision. from a cost perspective, it's quite a bit more expensive "per brick" to salvage and clean them and reuse them than it is to buy new but that's not really been much of a factor/consideration - if cost was the sole factor/consideration, we probably wouldn't be doing the project at all.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

That's pretty much the best I was hoping for but I'm glad to hear that you're trying to reuse as many as you can.

Good job!

For me I like the dirty brick look, so,let say if you want to maintain that characteristic element of the brick, is there a clear coating that could be applied over that brick to maintain that? I could easily google it up, but I'm curious from a developers point of view and experience on that matter.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 25-10-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    For me I like the dirty brick look, so,let say if you want to maintain that characteristic element of the brick, is there a clear coating that could be applied over that brick to maintain that? I could easily google it up, but I'm curious from a developers point of view and experience on that matter.
    i'm sure there's all sorts of "stuff" out there but i haven't had much experience with anything that works long term. and that - long-term - is often the real issue. what looks really good when new doesn't always perform well or hold up well when exposed to uv in sunlight or various compounds released by everything from off-gassing from new carpets to furniture to cleaning supplies. the difficulty with too many things once they're put on is that you can never get them off.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

What a tangled web we weave - Iíll miss visiting this column. by cdnklc, on Flickr

by cdnklc, on Flickr

by cdnklc, on Flickr

by cdnklc, on Flickr
    Last edited by kcantor; 31-10-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Yeah. If they started failing for some reason, say pieces flaking off (even just a few scattered about a wall) I imagine the repair costs could be quite large and people wouldn’t then be praising the developer.

Plus, could tearing down a brick wall put hair line cracks or other stresses on old bricks? That and the fact that they have already weathered decades of freeze thaw cycles, to me makes them a risky prospect.
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2018 at 07:59 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    They make brick that has a 'weathered' look. We used it on our Crawford Block project.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Appreciate the photo updates Ken!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12