Thread: Nakiska ski resort

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Nakiska ski resort

Hi,

I've never been to Nakiska, but have passed it many times on the way to Sunshine and Lake Louise. It's obviously not as big as Louise or Sunshine, but is it worth a visit ? It is a little closer than Sunshine/ Lake Louise if doing a day trip from Edmonton, which would make the drive a little less tiring.

Is it comparable to say Jasper ?

Thx

^I have never been to Jasper, but Nakiska is my favorite (and my kids) - it won't be for many people though. It depends what you are looking for.

Pros:
    Very close to Calgary
    Long runs with groomed snow (much better than Norquay, which has stepper shorter runs). Its not a small mountain.
    Lots of intermediate and beginner trails. There are good advanced trails as well, but not what I'm into.
    Half day option (which I like, although not much cheaper than full day)
    Ski racers will like it. Also they have one of those parks with moguls, jumps and similar.
    Beautiful views / lots of trees
    Easy access (doesn't have the long gondala ride of sunshine)

Cons:
    Not really a "powder", "full bore" ski field
    Gets extremely busy on Weekends due to $200 season pass (which is sold in summer)

In summary - its a terrific "on-piste" ski field.
    Last edited by moahunter; 09-11-2017 at 08:06 AM.

C2E SME

Yeah, it's a good family/beginner hill. But that's about it. It can tend to be fairly icy compared to Jasper though. More freeze/thaw cycles due to chinooks and it's lower elevation. And I've heard it can be a zoo because of the cheap season's passes they've been selling. It's only about half the size of Marmot, acreage and lift capacity wise.

^the crazy cheap season pass has been very successful for them, but has ****** off the ski racer / Olympic sport crowd a bit. There are reports Nakiska has terrific snow this year.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I like it. It's cheap. Not a big vertical, but lots of runs and enough to keep most intersted except the off piste powder crowd. I'd consider myself an expert skiier and I enjoy it. It can get icy as mentioned, but when the snow is good, it's fantastic for super-g, grand slalom type of skiing.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I have never been to Jasper, but Nakiska is my favorite (and my kids) - it won't be for many people though. It depends what you are looking for.

Pros:
    Very close to Calgary
    I would consider that a negative unless you are staying with friends in Calgary.

Long runs with groomed snow (much better than Norquay, which has stepper shorter runs). Its not a small mountain.
    Lots of intermediate and beginner trails. There are good advanced trails as well, but not what I'm into.
    Yeah, it's your hill if you are into hard packed groomers.

Beautiful views / lots of trees
    Easy access (doesn't have the long gondala ride of sunshine)
    No better than Marmot on either count

On the plus side, it isn't in the national park, so you will save the admission fee come January.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post

Pros:
    Very close to Calgary
    I would consider that a negative unless you are staying with friends in Calgary.
    or live in Calgary, like moahunter does.